Photo
Accutane

How And Why People Avoid Breakouts On Accutane! - Please Contribute To My Study.

breakouts avoid

4 replies to this topic

#1 kinluek

kinluek

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:15 AM

I think i may have sussed out why and how people get breakouts throughout there course of accutane and why some people just continuously get better.

For this i will need some input from people who have been on accutane and info on their diet. 

Because of my acne i always tried to eat the healthiest cleanest foods and try to keep these foods to a minimum:

processed, oily/greasy, sugary, carbs, oh and dairy products, and alcohol.

I find that these things make me breakout bad and when i keep my diet good i hardly breakout. 

So basically i started accutane and things kind of just kept getting better until about 3 weeks in and i had a day of eating fatty foods and one meal even had a big dollop of cream cheese. the next day i instantly started getting massive spots forming on my forehead and my temples.

I believe accutane will make you breakout bigger and quicker after eating these foods.

I just wanted to know for the people who broke out continuously on accutane what was there diet like. 
And same goes for people who didnt breakout bad.

I want to see if there is any correlation between breakouts and diet on accutane.

I think if you keep your diet nice and healthy then your face will continue to get better as you will not be introducing new toxins for your body to push out of your skin... thats my thought anyway but i need more info

oh i would also like to add i try and avoid fruits because they also make me breakout from the high sugar content in them

#2 cloitus

cloitus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Hey. Personally, if I have alot of cheese, ice cream or chocolate i break out. I'm fine with fast foods like burgers and stuff except kfc chicken. I've done alot of experimenting with this and this is my conclusion. So i stay clear of those bad foods and i still break out on accutane. I haven't eaten those foods since being on accutane so i'm not too sure how bad it would be!

#3 Oceanic

Oceanic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Hiking, Biology, Mountains, Nature, Painting, Drawing

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

I eat pretty healthy (not as healthy as other times, but I was obsessive back then) and I am still suffering from a bad Accutane IB as we speak.

I don't eat much processed food (except salsa and a few other things, I always check the ingredients), gluten, or dairy. I do eat fruits (2-3 servings a day and usually with protein and fat to lower the GL) and vegetables.

Here's a breakdown of what I eat on an average day:

Breakfast:

• Skip (Intermittent fasting)

Lunch:

• Salad with Tuna, Romaine Lettuce/Kale, Tomatoes, EVOO and Balsamic Vinegar
  • Steamed Broccoli
  • Apple
  • Raisins

Dinner:

• Baked Salmon with Marinara
  • Mixed Vegetables
  • Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Snacks (I don't eat all these in a single day, just giving you an idea of the different foods in my diet):

• Almonds
  • Popcorn (Not the ones in the bags! sick.gif Ew. I oil pop kernels in EVOO, I should use coconut oil though)
  • Homemade Corn Tortillas
  • Salsa
  • Tortilla Chips (Guilty. Usually only on weekends)
  • Eggs

Additionally, I work out every day in the morning (I will in a few minutes!) during my intermittent fast (burns 20% more fat and helps manage hormones). I also take turmeric capsules with pepper for inflammation.

Some people have problems with corn. But I don't think I do (I'm half latina, I don't know if that makes a difference?). Otherwise, my diet would qualify as paleo.

What do you think? Could the corn tortilla chips be a factor? I do tend to eat a lot of them in one sitting (they are so good). But, recently, I switched to popcorn. I do think changing my macronutrient composition might help.

"I think if you keep your diet nice and healthy then your face will continue to get better as you will not be introducing new toxins for your body to push out of your skin... thats my thought anyway but i need more info"

Certainly, diet can change the quality of your sebum. It can also alter the hormones (which is why I intermittent fast) which lead to acne. But, I don't think toxins are pushed out of your skin, creating acne. At least, not literally. But I'm not sure.

Diet does contribute to acne. But I think it has more to do with the type of acne you have, and what you were doing before accutane.  My acne was not continuous. I controlled most of my acne with BP up to the day I started accutane. And, now, I'm breaking out all over. shrug.gif

Started Accutane (Amnesteem): 25 July 2013

Month 1: 40 mg

Month 2: 60 mg

Month 3: 60 mg

Month 4: 60 mg

Month 5: 60 mg

Month 6: 40 mg

Done!

#4 chaseap01

chaseap01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

To be 100% honest with you when I was on Accutane I ate horrible foods and like a pig! The Doctor told me that Accutane needs to be taken with your largest meal of the day since Accutane is fat soluble so I would eat nuggets from McDonald's and any fatty junk I could. My acne was pretty severe. I had deep cysts and horrible nodules under my skin around my forehead and cheeks. Also around my jawline and ears.

I expected to get an initial breakout but I didn't at all. My acne was cleared completely within two weeks and I haven't had a single breakout since I stopped using Accutane.

I get a small pimple every now and then and it's gone within 24 hours. My diet is a LITTLE better than it was while taking Accutane but my skin has still continued to improve. I don't really think acne has anything to do with diet. My grandmother and her friends had acne many years ago before we had all of these artificial ingredients and poisons in our food.

I think my problems stemmed from large pores which have also become much smaller since finishing Accutane. I also no longer get blackheads or whiteheads at all.

I am not a dairy user. I avoid milk and dairy products because of the large amounts of estrogen contained in such products. I also don't want loads of hormones unnecessarily pumped in to my body.

Hope some of that helps with your study.

Thanks.

#5 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

My theory on why some people clear quickly on Accutane (but often relapse after Accutane) while others take ages to clear on Accutane (and relapse less often):

http://www.acne.org/...ders/?p=3371313

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users