Photo

Getting Pregnant - What Can I Do For My Hormonal Acne?

pregnant pregnancy hormones

38 replies to this topic

#21 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Anyway, you should definitely work out any image problems you have with the scarring before you have another kid.

It may or may not help to remember that everybody looks worse as they age, and you can't stop aging. Scarring does magnify it some, but honestly even the older ladies I know with the best skin around...they still look older every year. I hope that you can accept that you will simply never look 18 again, and it's okay to keep on living even though your outer appearance will deteriorate every year. 

#22 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

It makes me so sad to see that severe acne would prevent anyone from having children.  I'm not judging, believe me.  It makes me sad because I can see myself possibly making the same decision.

#23 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

It makes me so sad to see that severe acne would prevent anyone from having children.  I'm not judging, believe me.  It makes me sad because I can see myself possibly making the same decision.

Thanks for your understanding! How are your conception efforts going?

#24 ameena

ameena

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hi MEL

I have been dealing with hormonal acne since I was 17years old. (I'm now 30) and the only time my acne cleared completely and I had not to worry about what I eat or use any special acne medication was during my three pregnancies. (It happened each time) And I stayed clear for a few months after giving birth until my hormones went back to normal ;(

So if I was you I wouldn't stress myself to much because if you are dealing with a hormonal imbalance now there is a good chance that your hormones will balance out during pregnancy.

I know everyones body works different but maybe this will help you not to be so afraid of being pregnant and dealing with acne. I wish you all the best xoxo

PS:Sorry for my English. It's my second language.

#25 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

I've discussed this with a pharmacist and apparently topical clindamycin should be safe to use during pregnancy. It hasn't been studied specifically on pregnant women (due to ethical reasons) and that's why it can't be recommended, but it's quite often prescribed during pregnancy for vaginosis anyway (with topical application in vaginal epithelium) and is considered a safe antibiotic during pregnancy. At least if you use it sparingly and only on active spots (assuming you just have some spots in a specific area), I would think it's okay. Most likely the stress of having acne would harm the fetus more.

Then again, I wouldn't dare use Retin-A or Differin during pregnancy just because if enough gets absorbed into circulation and reaches the placenta - even if it's just a very tiny amount - the effects on the fetus could possibly be quite serious. Although - I've never actually looked into this, so perhaps the risk is overstated.

#26 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

I used clindamycin and finacea while pregnant and they did absolutely nothing to help me. I think with severe hormonal changes topicals just don't do the job. Of course everyone is different so someone with a mild case might have a different experience. I do think the risk of harm with topicals is overstated - my OBGYN said they don't really worry about it. But small amounts do absorb so I wouldn't go crazy and use retin-a or anything with vitamin A in it. Also my hormones did balance out and I became very clear - but not until the third trimester. Everyone is so different. You just don't know what is going to happen until you do it.

#27 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hi MEL

I have been dealing with hormonal acne since I was 17years old. (I'm now 30) and the only time my acne cleared completely and I had not to worry about what I eat or use any special acne medication was during my three pregnancies. (It happened each time) And I stayed clear for a few months after giving birth until my hormones went back to normal ;(

So if I was you I wouldn't stress myself to much because if you are dealing with a hormonal imbalance now there is a good chance that your hormones will balance out during pregnancy.

I know everyones body works different but maybe this will help you not to be so afraid of being pregnant and dealing with acne. I wish you all the best xoxo

Thanks!  That actually DOES make me feel a little better.  I still think I'll break out, but just the possibility makes  me look forward. 

I actually haven't stopped taking the birth control or gone off Estro Sense yet.  I'm too nervous.  But I spoke to my husband last night.  I will go on my last month of birth control and Estro Sense, and then that's it.  I told him how scared I was that I'll break out and look like a pizza face.  But he was really sweet, and told me that he doesn't care.  He said that if I was carrying his baby he would probably even love me more than he does now, and that breakouts surely won't do a thing to change that.  And he said if I breakout, he promises to breakout too.  Hehe. 

So... one more month to go, and I'm diving in!!! 

I'm still nervous, but I'll just deal with it.  Any parting words? 

#28 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Good luck and keep us posted! My only words of advice are that if you do breakout, try the safe topicals and be gentle! Don't over-dry. That was a big mistake I made.

Hi MEL

Thanks!  That actually DOES make me feel a little better.  I still think I'll break out, but just the possibility makes  me look forward. 

I actually haven't stopped taking the birth control or gone off Estro Sense yet.  I'm too nervous.  But I spoke to my husband last night.  I will go on my last month of birth control and Estro Sense, and then that's it.  I told him how scared I was that I'll break out and look like a pizza face.  But he was really sweet, and told me that he doesn't care.  He said that if I was carrying his baby he would probably even love me more than he does now, and that breakouts surely won't do a thing to change that.  And he said if I breakout, he promises to breakout too.  Hehe. 

So... one more month to go, and I'm diving in!!! 

I'm still nervous, but I'll just deal with it.  Any parting words? 

#29 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

I've had to come off topical clindamycin since it has upset my stomach for the past few days - I don't want to risk any serious complications that clindamycin-induced diarrhea could have so that's it. I'm possibly meeting a derm later to discuss treatment options when pregnant, but I'd be up for any suggestions for safe topicals. Dalacin worked wonderfully and now my skin is in good shape, but I'm sure my inflamed pustular acne will return in some form or another. I'm considering sulfur-based products for spot treating, and possibly BP. Basically any spot treatment that would work even half as well as Dalacin and be safe during pregnancy would be wonderful.

#30 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

I heard from endocrinologists that if you have a hormonal imbalance, esp. PCOS, before pregnancy, then your body might be able to regulate itself during pregnancy. My aunt had really bad adult acne before she started having kids, and after her first pregnancy her acne was gone for good. It didn't even come back after each pregnancy. So there is hope. 

But if you haven't quit EstroSense yet, I recommend weaning off it instead of abruptly quitting it because your estrogen levels will inevitably rise during pregnancy, and you obviously had issues with high estrogen if this treatment worked for you. So I suggest weaning off it slowly to help your body adjust to the transition. 

Prenatal vitamins might also help, depending on how well you tolerate folic acid (folate is much better imo). 

#31 purple123

purple123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

Fascinating subject - I just posted on another thread, without realizing this was an active discussion.

Besides Keflex (cephalexin) and erythromycin, which can be prescribed as oral antibiotics in pregnancy, has anyone heard of other oral medications that can be helpful?

The idea of topical spiro seems appealing, I wonder if it's actually effective... 

#32 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

I don't think there's really any oral med that will be prescribed to a pregnant woman. Too risky.

#33 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:43 PM

Just an update...
I'm not pregnant yet. Well...let mr clarify... I WAS pregnant for about 5-6 weeks, and had a miscarriage. It's been a bit of a roller coaster,a nd you can imagine my hormones! But...my acne has been manageable. How, you ask? Well I've been using a new soap!!! I think it's awesome!
It's called the Acne Battle Bar from Apple Valley. Apple Valley is a family-run company, and only delivers to the USA. Since I'm from Canada, i asked my cousin from NJ to order it for me and bring it with her when she came last month. It's a little pricey at $7 per bar, but the bar is huge and can last pretty long so long as you keep it dry.
Try it, ladies!i highly recommend it!

#34 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Just an update...
I'm not pregnant yet. Well...let mr clarify... I WAS pregnant for about 5-6 weeks, and had a miscarriage. It's been a bit of a roller coaster,a nd you can imagine my hormones! But...my acne has been manageable. How, you ask? Well I've been using a new soap!!! I think it's awesome!
It's called the Acne Battle Bar from Apple Valley. Apple Valley is a family-run company, and only delivers to the USA. Since I'm from Canada, i asked my cousin from NJ to order it for me and bring it with her when she came last month. It's a little pricey at $7 per bar, but the bar is huge and can last pretty long so long as you keep it dry.

Thanks for the update. Good luck with getting pregnant — I hope it works out for you soon! (: I'm glad to hear that you are managing clear skin even after stopping Estrosense. I stopped DIM (pretty much the same thing) about 4 months ago and it's been surprisingly good here too. 

I looked into that soap and the main active ingredient appears to be neem oil, which is antibacterial. Neem oil is an Ayurvedic remedy for acne and some other conditions but it can affect fertility. I'm not sure that using it topically would be enough to cause problems, but you might want to consider it if you are having any trouble. You can read more about its effects on fertility on the wiki page.

#35 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:08 PM

Just an update...

Thanks for the update. Good luck with getting pregnant — I hope it works out for you soon! (: I'm glad to hear that you are managing clear skin even after stopping Estrosense. I stopped DIM (pretty much the same thing) about 4 months ago and it's been surprisingly good here too. 

I looked into that soap and the main active ingredient appears to be neem oil, which is antibacterial. Neem oil is an Ayurvedic remedy for acne and some other conditions but it can affect fertility. I'm not sure that using it topically would be enough to cause problems, but you might want to consider it if you are having any trouble. You can read more about its effects on fertility on the wiki page.

Thank you for telling me, hearts. I had no idea. I read up on it. Im not quite sure what to think at this point though. From what I've read, neem is either ingested or held in the "v area" to prevent pregnancy. Nothing suggests using it topically will affect fertility. However it is worth looking in to.

I do know of one woman who has used the Acne Battle Bar during her pregnancies, and everything went fine and her children are healthy. I have contacted the company, and hopefully they'll get back to me soon. As i mentioned it is a family-run company, and I think they are very religious. I think they'd want to know if their product is dangerous for pregnant women. There are other products that they sell which they do not suggest for pregnant women, so they'd tell me if they knew it wasn't good.

Again, I'll keep you posted.

#36 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Thank you for telling me, hearts. I had no idea. I read up on it. Im not quite sure what to think at this point though. From what I've read, neem is either ingested or held in the "v area" to prevent pregnancy. Nothing suggests using it topically will affect fertility. However it is worth looking in to.

I do know of one woman who has used the Acne Battle Bar during her pregnancies, and everything went fine and her children are healthy. I have contacted the company, and hopefully they'll get back to me soon. As i mentioned it is a family-run company, and I think they are very religious. I think they'd want to know if their product is dangerous for pregnant women. There are other products that they sell which they do not suggest for pregnant women, so they'd tell me if they knew it wasn't good.

Again, I'll keep you posted.

Yeah, like I said, using it topically could be totally fine. I wanted to mention it just in case, though! (:

#37 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

So here is their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry! You do not need to worry about the neem oil. You'd need to be using it raw and in direct contact with the areas used to conceive. :) It isn't actually USED to prevent pregnancy (that I am aware), but there is a concern that because it is a natural insecticide, it could negatively impact sperm, so there are cautions about that "out there." But having that ingredient in a soap that you use on your face will not cause any kind of issue for you. That said, there are many other factors that CAN create issues conceiving - or carrying a baby to term, so if you feel uncomfortable about it - you may want to refrain for peace of mind. Just as an FYI - I was using it during the conceptions of two of our children - and had healthy pregnancies too. I hope that helps alleviate your concern - and blessings to you as you seek to conceive a baby! Woo hoo! :)"

Update on me:

I found out that your hormones go CRAZY after a miscarriage.  Because of this, I've been breaking out ... but certainly not as bad as I'd expect.  I have a bunch of tiny pimples along my jawline and my skin in that area is very dry right now. 

#38 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

So here is their response:

"Thank you for your inquiry! You do not need to worry about the neem oil. You'd need to be using it raw and in direct contact with the areas used to conceive. smile.png It isn't actually USED to prevent pregnancy (that I am aware), but there is a concern that because it is a natural insecticide, it could negatively impact sperm, so there are cautions about that "out there." But having that ingredient in a soap that you use on your face will not cause any kind of issue for you. That said, there are many other factors that CAN create issues conceiving - or carrying a baby to term, so if you feel uncomfortable about it - you may want to refrain for peace of mind. Just as an FYI - I was using it during the conceptions of two of our children - and had healthy pregnancies too. I hope that helps alleviate your concern - and blessings to you as you seek to conceive a baby! Woo hoo! :)"

Update on me:

I found out that your hormones go CRAZY after a miscarriage.  Because of this, I've been breaking out ... but certainly not as bad as I'd expect.  I have a bunch of tiny pimples along my jawline and my skin in that area is very dry right now. 

What a nice response! (: I'm glad that she answered, and thank you for posting it here for the rest of us! I'm sorry to hear that your hormones are upset from the miscarriage... hopefully they level out soon and your skin clears up!

#39 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hey,

I'm not sure if you're still on this forum and I know this is off topic, but I'm thinking of starting Estrosmart, which is almost exactly like Estrosense. I was wondering if you would mind sharing your experience with this supplement with me? How long did it take to work? Did you get an initial breakout? What type of acne you had (cystic or non-inflamed)?
Thank you!
Bren

I'm in that stage in my life right now where I'm thinking about starting a family. It's exciting, but in terms of acne it's terrifying.
I have hormonal acne. It's been a crazy roller coaster ride. After trying many different types of birth control, natural remedies, etc.... I've settled with a great remedy called EstroSense which helps balance my hormones. Amazing actually, and just recently discovered. So now with this new decision to have a baby, I have to stop taking this magic cure.
What have you other experienced ladies been doing for your hormonal acne while pregnant? Is there any hope that pregnancy will be kind to me??? Hehehe. Probably not!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users