Photo

Getting Pregnant - What Can I Do For My Hormonal Acne?

pregnant pregnancy hormones

38 replies to this topic

#1 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

I'm in that stage in my life right now where I'm thinking about starting a family. It's exciting, but in terms of acne it's terrifying.

I have hormonal acne. It's been a crazy roller coaster ride. After trying many different types of birth control, natural remedies, etc.... I've settled with a great remedy called EstroSense which helps balance my hormones. Amazing actually, and just recently discovered. So now with this new decision to have a baby, I have to stop taking this magic cure.

What have you other experienced ladies been doing for your hormonal acne while pregnant? Is there any hope that pregnancy will be kind to me??? Hehehe. Probably not!

#2 mdp703

mdp703

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

I am at the same point in my life. This is what I've come up with:
Birth control- for obvious reasons, can't take
Accutane- cant take due to fetus effects
SA- not considered safe to use while pregnant
Natural hormone regulators like saw palmetto- also considered not safe
Retin-A - also not safe

Cleansers that are natural without SAs are what's recommended. BP is also safe. Some peels and microdermabrasion also safe. I recommend you talk to a derm to see what she would consider safe and viable options for you. I'm using dans BO right now as I couldn't find any other options. I'm having some initial improvements even with my problem being hormonal acne.

#3 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:14 PM

Well its safe to say pills are put.  Have you thought of trying the regimen?  Many have used this while pregnant with an ok from their OBGYN and unlike retin A, it supposedly will not affect the fetus.  Aside from possible diet changes, there isn't much you can do hormonally for your acne while pregnant. 

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#4 MaskedOne

MaskedOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:34 AM

I agree with Sasch83.  I actually just asked my derm about this yesterday, and she said there's not much you can do besides some topicals, but not all.  I would talk to your doctor or see a dermatologist to be sure of what you can and can't use. 

#5 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:41 AM

I agree with the above posters, but would like to add that if pregnancy is really bad to you - like it was for me - they can prescribe the antibiotic Keflex to help with cysts. It helped me tremendously. They've been prescribing it to pregnant women for years and can even use it for infants, it's perfectly safe.

#6 hopeful503

hopeful503

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

I am in the same boat as you Mel.  We're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I am terrified to go off birth control again to try for a baby because the BC is working great for me.  I've have been on and off birth control for the last year--I've gone off BC because I'm trying for a baby.  Each time I get off BC my acne comes back in full force.  Not a ton of pimples but just a couple of life-altering cysts that scar make me so miserable  that I go right back on birth control to make it all go away.  I have considered going on accutane for 6 months and then waiting a few months after my treatment to try to conceive in hopes that I will have clear skin during that time. However, I want a baby so bad that I don't want to wait another 7-8 months to start trying.  So I am giving it one last chance and getting off birth control in 2 weeks to try for a baby.  I just pray that my skin can stay clear with the pregnancy-safe topicals I was prescribed because I was told there is nothing else I can do.   I am researching how we can treat hormonal acne naturally right now.  But in the meantime, I was prescribed clindamycin phosphate, finacea and BP.  I already have one child and my acne was non-existent during pregnancy. I hope that I get pregnant fast.

#7 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

I agree with the above posters, but would like to add that if pregnancy is really bad to you - like it was for me - they can prescribe the antibiotic Keflex to help with cysts. It helped me tremendously. They've been prescribing it to pregnant women for years and can even use it for infants, it's perfectly safe.

That sounds like a good option, but maybe a little extreme. Even though it's considered safe, I'd be too scared. It just sounds wrong. I think I'd rather look ugly for a few months than to cause potential harm to my baby.

Guess I will try the cleansers and talk to my derm about topicals.

#8 Tban0117

Tban0117

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

Hey ladies! Here's my two cents.
I'm currently 7 months pregnant. Took me almost 6 years to get the courage to have another baby because I the awful, traumatic experience I had with my first. Yes, got off BC after 7-9 years straight (I can't remember the exact # of years anymore, sorry) yes, went from crystal clear to war zone in a matter of weeks. I had acne the entire pregnancy. It was painful pustular and papular acne...inflamed and red as hell. I saw a derm at 7 months finally because it was so painful and I was very depressed. I did take erythromycin which kind of helped but at that point my hormones were all leveling out and I was going to deliver in 2 months. So what really helped I didn't know. I used purpose soap and pure aloe gel.
Fast forward to 2013... Been off birth control since 2007, changed diet and regimen in 2009 stayed clear. Got pregnant in February terrified but fully armed and prepped for another possible battle. I'm now a licensed esthetician. My passion is helping others with acne and or skin issues.
Most of us pregnant women, especially first timers, are paranoid about everything. I've been there done that. This time around I've played around with (but never at the same time) and experimented with BP/mandelic-glycolic-lactic or salicylic acid. All are safe and approved by OB.
I've done microdermabrasion once with nice results only when I had no actives. My derm said I can use Retin-a if I want but naaaah. My skin is clear. It had a few minor breakouts in the first few weeks. Stayed clear with my regimen after that. Then at 18-25 weeks I had a burst of hormones (normal during these weeks) and began breaking out. Changed my diet and realized my ensure drinks were causing more breakouts. Stopped those and been fine since. I do get facials monthly to clear clogged pores.
Pregnancy isn't always mean the second time around. I feel pretty lucky this time. I'm happy and glowing without all the zits.
My biggest suggestion is to stay away from BCP's. Especially if you're planning children. Most clients I've seen that used BCP and got off to start trying, had that same severe breakout I went through after going off. It's not going to happen to everyone but most go through it.
Eliminate dairy and soy If you can for at least 3 weeks to see if the breakouts stop. Some people like me are more sensitive to those things. It's always good to try out.
Don't Forget to follow our daily regimen everyday. When you get lazy, acne comes back and you start all over. Not worth the pain.
This is so long and.. Weelllpp

Hey ladies! Here's my two cents.
I'm currently 7 months pregnant. Took me almost 6 years to get the courage to have another baby because I the awful, traumatic experience I had with my first. Yes, got off BC after 7-9 years straight (I can't remember the exact # of years anymore, sorry) yes, went from crystal clear to war zone in a matter of weeks. I had acne the entire pregnancy. It was painful pustular and papular acne...inflamed and red as hell. I saw a derm at 7 months finally because it was so painful and I was very depressed. I did take erythromycin which kind of helped but at that point my hormones were all leveling out and I was going to deliver in 2 months. So what really helped I didn't know. I used purpose soap and pure aloe gel.
Fast forward to 2013... Been off birth control since 2007, changed diet and regimen in 2009 stayed clear. Got pregnant in February terrified but fully armed and prepped for another possible battle. I'm now a licensed esthetician. My passion is helping others with acne and or skin issues.
Most of us pregnant women, especially first timers, are paranoid about everything. I've been there done that. This time around I've played around with (but never at the same time) and experimented with BP/mandelic-glycolic-lactic or salicylic acid. All are safe and approved by OB.
I've done microdermabrasion once with nice results only when I had no actives. My derm said I can use Retin-a if I want but naaaah. My skin is clear. It had a few minor breakouts in the first few weeks. Stayed clear with my regimen after that. Then at 18-25 weeks I had a burst of hormones (normal during these weeks) and began breaking out. Changed my diet and realized my ensure drinks were causing more breakouts. Stopped those and been fine since. I do get facials monthly to clear clogged pores.
Pregnancy isn't always mean the second time around. I feel pretty lucky this time. I'm happy and glowing without all the zits.
My biggest suggestion is to stay away from BCP's. Especially if you're planning children. Most clients I've seen that used BCP and got off to start trying, had that same severe breakout I went through after going off. It's not going to happen to everyone but most go through it.
Eliminate dairy and soy If you can for at least 3 weeks to see if the breakouts stop. Some people like me are more sensitive to those things. It's always good to try out.
Don't Forget to follow our daily regimen everyday. When you get lazy, acne comes back and you start all over. Not worth the pain.
This is so long and.. Weelllpp sorry lol. I just know how it feels and hate knowing and or seein anyone having to go through this. Whatever you decide though good luck. Pregnancy is only 9months. It's the most beautiful experience. Acne or no acne, enjoy it and remember it will go away eventually but you'll have a new life that YOU created in your arms forever after that!!

#9 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for your insight!  I will keep all of these things in mind.  I'm crossing my fingers that I'm worrying over nothing!!!

#10 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

Than its good to hear you stayed pretty clear in your second pregnancy. I have scarring from my first pregnancy I am now trying to deal with. I am also trying to come to terms with my daughter being an only child because I cannot go through that again. I am very heartbroken about this. Just another thing acne and scarring has taken from me.

#11 Supernova30

Supernova30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I completely sympathize with your fears of going off birth control and getting pregnant. I was so anxious over it but wasn't going to let fear of acne stop me from having a child. I went off and got pregnant a couple of months later (lucky it happened fast). No breakouts during that time. The first trimester my back broke out (new for me) and I had a little bit of facial acne but nothing out of the norm (one cyst that turned into a nightmare but that's another story).

I'm now at 25 weeks and have the best skin I've had in years (aside from a scar from said nightmare cyst - which makes me hate it even more). I have no idea what will happen post-pregnancy but just wanted to say that pregnancy hormones aren't necessarily bad. For some hormonal acne it can actually help.

Edited to add: I've stayed on the acne.org regimen throughout pregnancy.

Edited by Supernova30, 09 August 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#12 Tban0117

Tban0117

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

Than its good to hear you stayed pretty clear in your second pregnancy. I have scarring from my first pregnancy I am now trying to deal with. I am also trying to come to terms with my daughter being an only child because I cannot go through that again. I am very heartbroken about this. Just another thing acne and scarring has taken from me.

Yea thank god my skin is clear as hell for the most part. I was terrified of getting pregnant again and thought for a few years after my son was born that he may just be an only child. In my heart I was like yea right! I took my chances and was prepared for the worst and I'm glad I took the chance. I believe being off of birth control is the #1 reason it's stayed clear. There weren't any synthetic hormones in my body for about 6 years. Again, we are all different though. I have minor scars too... I'll never have the skin I had Pre marriage and motherhood but it's looking awesome now and I can't complain. I have my boys to look forward to... I hope you find something that helps you. I totally feel your pain and your fear. Good luck with everything. Don't hesitate to inbox me if you ever have questions

#13 Tban0117

Tban0117

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:00 AM

I completely sympathize with your fears of going off birth control and getting pregnant. I was so anxious over it but wasn't going to let fear of acne stop me from having a child. I went off and got pregnant a couple of months later (lucky it happened fast). No breakouts during that time. The first trimester my back broke out (new for me) and I had a little bit of facial acne but nothing out of the norm (one cyst that turned into a nightmare but that's another story).
Glad you're skin is staying clear too!!! I'm doing my version of "the regimen" while pregnant too. I use a few differnt things to clean with but treat with BP. It's not at all a finger length. Like a pea size only on my cheeks. I was actually just dabbing in on my cheeks at night for the longest without rubbing it in. I guess kind of leavin it clumpy looking. It was really just wasting product but now that I run it in nicely I get good results. Still don't know if my hormones are keeping things at bay or it's just my skin being my skin. Hopefully I outgrow acne soon! I'm frikkin 35 already!
Congrats on your pregnancy girl!!!
I'm now at 25 weeks and have the best skin I've had in years (aside from a scar from said nightmare cyst - which makes me hate it even more). I have no idea what will happen post-pregnancy but just wanted to say that pregnancy hormones aren't necessarily bad. For some hormonal acne it can actually help.

Edited to add: I've stayed on the acne.org regimen throughout pregnancy.

#14 hopeful503

hopeful503

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well I got off birth control yet again and also had to get on the fertility drug clomid to help with ovulation.  The combination of going off BC and taking clomid caused one of the worst breakouts I've ever had.  My husband and I have made the painful decision to give up trying to conceive once and for all and go back on BC.  I can't take another huge breakout.  The scars from them are making me miserable and it's affecting every aspect of my life.  I'm so sad about this and am crying as I write this.  I want another child so badly but I can't risk more scaring.  This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make.

#15 Supernova30

Supernova30

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well I got off birth control yet again and also had to get on the fertility drug clomid to help with ovulation.  The combination of going off BC and taking clomid caused one of the worst breakouts I've ever had.  My husband and I have made the painful decision to give up trying to conceive once and for all and go back on BC.  I can't take another huge breakout.  The scars from them are making me miserable and it's affecting every aspect of my life.  I'm so sad about this and am crying as I write this.  I want another child so badly but I can't risk more scaring.  This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make.

I'm so so sorry. What a difficult decision but I completely understand. Scarring and acne are incredibly draining emotionally. Even this one terrible scar I've been dealing with from cortisone has nearly sent me over the edge.

Have you seen anyone about this? Like a psychologist I mean? Might be helpful. And please feel free to message or post more if you need to talk.

#16 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

Oh my gosh I could have written this post. You have no idea how much I am in the same boat as you. I am not on birth control, as it only makes my acne worse, but other acne meds. I have 1 child as well and want so so badly for her to have a sibling. It tears me up all the time. But the horrible acne I had with her left scarring that has nearly ruined me. I just don't feel I can go through that again, and I also don't know that I'd have the energy for another child while trying to fight this life-long battle. But still sometimes I just want to go ahead and try. My endo that has been testing my hormones said I need to choose and choose fast, and I nearly broke down hysterical in front of him. I'm sick of having to answer questions about when I'm going to have a second, and pretending that we only want one. I also have diminished ovarian reserve (we did IVF) so my window of time is closing. Anyway, I could go on and on. If you want to message me please feel free. I totally understand how you feel about not having a second child because of acne and scarring. How old is your child?

Edited by michi31, 19 September 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#17 Hunniebun

Hunniebun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

I am in the process of weaning my second baby and I the past two years acne wise have been very very difficult. I was on Diane 35 between my oldest and youngest and I was worried the ance would return when I went off...but the 11 months it took to conceive were okay...the regular cyctic breakouts on my chin once a month, but it was managable.  But once I was pregnant it was awful...and continues to be awful even thought my daughter is now 13 months old. I have a lot of scarring and still about 6-8 active cysts at a time, but I will start Diane 35 next cycle. My OB/GYN did prescribe Topical Clindamycin while pregnant which I think helped initially, but not in the long run. I had a fair number of tears and have spent a fortune on make-up, but truly it has been worth it completely.  I have also started differin and I think the BCP and that combined will have me back to relatively normal skin in a few months time.    I think if you really want a child you need to mentally prepare yourself for the worst and tell yourself that it is only short term and once the baby is here safe and sound, you can get back on whatever was working for you in the first place.  You can even forgo breastfeeding if you want to get back to prescription treatments faster...I thought I would, but with each month, I knew that I was doing something wonderful for my baby's health (and here we have a year of mat leave...so I didn't really have to see people professionally!), but my first I only Bf for 3 months he is as healthy and as smart as can be :)  Anyhow, I really wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide! 

#18 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2013 - 10:16 PM

Have you looked into TOPICAL spironolactone? You can buy it over the counter here. It won't work as well as oral spironolactone, but it also won't affect the baby.

If I were really desperate to have a child, I would try topical spiro for a few months on a trial basis to see if it was enough. If it was, then would start trying to get pregnant.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#19 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:21 AM

For me, it's not only the horrible breakouts that come with pregnancy, or the fact that I've already committed 8 months to Spiro and would have to stop, but it's how hard scarring has been for me. I really have to fight through each day and each situation. It's emotionally draining and the fact that it only gets worse with age is terrifying. Social events are hard - and a child only brings more social events than ever before. It's all fun and good when they're babies - but friends, other parents, school and life events, etc. There is a lifetime of having to put on a happy face and have courage for your child. Sometimes I want a second child so bad that I would be willing to endure the breakouts. But I don't know if it is wise considering a second child would double the energy it would take to fight through this never ending battle. She is the greatest joy, and most adorable light of my life, but sometimes I wonder if it was the right thing to do at all, considering now she will be an only child with a scarred, depressed mother. 

Green Gables - how do you know topical Spiro won't effect the baby? Topicals are absorbed through the skin systemically which is why you can't use retinoids while pregnant.

Edited by michi31, 24 September 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#20 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:36 AM

For me, it's not only the horrible breakouts that come with pregnancy, or the fact that I've already committed 8 months to Spiro and would have to stop, but it's how hard scarring has been for me. I really have to fight through each day and each situation. It's emotionally draining and the fact that it only gets worse with age is terrifying. Social events are hard - and a child only brings more social events than ever before. It's all fun and good when they're babies - but friends, other parents, school and life events, etc. There is a lifetime of having to put on a happy face and have courage for your child. Sometimes I want a second child so bad that I would be willing to endure the breakouts. But I don't know if it is wise considering a second child would double the energy it would take to fight through this never ending battle. She is the greatest joy, and most adorable light of my life, but sometimes I wonder if it was the right thing to do at all, considering now she will be an only child with a scarred, depressed mother. 

Green Gables - how do you know topical Spiro won't effect the baby? Topicals are absorbed through the skin systemically which is why you can't use retinoids while pregnant.

Most doctors will tell you not to use anything topically because they don't want to get sued.

But realistically, retinoids won't actually get into the bloodstream and affect the baby either. (Accutane or other oral drugs will)

I mean, if we're going to be that extreme, you shouldn't use any commercial shampoo, body wash, or wear any synthetic materials because of the estrogenic effects. For example, there are some science groups hypothesizing that we have more gays because of how many estrogen mimickers exist in plastics, synthetic materials, chemicals, etc., and that's it's feminizing fetuses. (There are estrogen mimickers in synthetics, that's not really disputed, by the way, though how much it feminizes fetuses is anyone's guess.) There is some science to back them up, but if retinoids are going to harm your kid, then your shampoo and polyester/spandex blouse will too. So it depends on how extreme you want to go. 

Here are the known facts: 
-Vitamin A in the bloodstream causes birth defects. 
-Topical Vitamin A does not enter the bloodstream. 

You would think it would be logical to conclude that topical Vitamin A does not cause birth defects. However, the only way we can prove that topical vitamin A doesn't cause birth defects is to do studies on pregnant women which will never happen. 

This explains why we have the retinoids disclaimer.

Edited by Green Gables, 24 September 2013 - 10:15 AM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users