Photo

Spironolactone (Aldactone)

spironolactone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#61 MaskedOne

MaskedOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:38 AM

Totally!! I HATE cysts!! It would have saved my skin so much damage if I never got cysts!!
I really hope the 100mg works. I will seriously cry if it doesn't. I've tried everything.....but accutane.
Thicker hair!!? I would take that side effect too!!
I didn't see much of a difference while I was on the 50mg for the first month. So hopefully the 100mg will.
What manufacturer is yours? I've seen some women say that some manufacturers work better than others!

I agree. Luckily my derm has been wonderful and I've always been able to stop by the office the same day to get injections. If I wasn't able to do that, I don't know what my skin would look like. 

I don't know what brand of spiro I've used and I purposely haven't looked.  I read the post about different brands and didn't want to psych myself out.  Whatever brand I'm using *seems* to work at the moment so I'm sticking with it. :)  I think the 100mg will work for you, especially if it's hormonal. I'm in the same boat as you. If spiro doesn't work for me, I'll be taking Accutane. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I haven't ruled it out. 

•  

#62 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

Yes!! Those kenalog injections are great....but I had one that pitted!!! I had to get filler put into it since it can take 6months to go back to normal! This past 6 months has been a nightmare with my skin. I'm sooooo ready to see results.
But yeah, when I saw that board about the different manufacturers and how some don't work as well...I seriously wanted to cry! It's like, what else?!?! I am trying to stay positive that the 100mg will give me some improvement.

#63 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:58 AM

Wow Masked One! You're lucky your derm is so accommodating! The last few times I've needed an injection I've had to wait weeks, despite having gone to my derm for over ten years! Plus they don't seem to be working as well lately. Had one injected and it's still there days later! As far as them pitting, I would rather that than the cyst. Just take lots of vitamin C to boost collegen production. I wish I could just inject them myself.

Edited by brenmc, 06 September 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#64 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:32 PM

Oh my gosh no. My pitting was horrible!!! I literally had a hole in my face! Looked like someone had taken a chunk out of it' and it can take 6 months to go back! And my derm said it might not ever be the same

#65 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:45 PM

Oh. Well I just had one injected today. Hopefully it will smooth out and not pit!

#66 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Oh. Well I just had one injected today. Hopefully it will smooth out and not pit!

I'm sure you'll be fine. I made the mistake of not seeing my derm, because he wasn't able to fit me in, and went to a med spa. The doctor there doesn't have nearly as much experience with kenalog as a derm. Thought I would be ok. But guess not! It's evened out somewhat, but still looks like shit. I'm sure I have a few more months to go until its better. If it does heal back 100%

#67 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

If you have the cash you could try a laser genesis treatment. In Canada it costs between 100-140. It is completely painless. It just heats up the skin to increase collegen production. Helps even out scars and red marks. I had a few sessions because I had terrible scars.

Also, try to stay positive about spiro. Visualize your skin healing! :)

Edited by brenmc, 06 September 2013 - 04:43 PM.

#68 MaskedOne

MaskedOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Oh my gosh no. My pitting was horrible!!! I literally had a hole in my face! Looked like someone had taken a chunk out of it' and it can take 6 months to go back! And my derm said it might not ever be the same          

I'm sorry to hear that!  I will say I've had so many injections that there are a few spots that are slightly... pitted, I think?  They're hardly noticeable though, and I would certainly be the first one to say if it was a problem, ha!  She wouldn't even use the standard amount sometimes; she's use less, and luckily it would work.  I'm not too worried about it. Cysts are waaaay worse than a slight indentation/discoloration.  I'm hoping they fade and plump up again eventually.  I can only worry about so much, ha.

#69 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

If you have the cash you could try a laser genesis treatment. In Canada it costs between 100-140. It is completely painless. It just heats up the skin to increase collegen production. Helps even out scars and red marks. I had a few sessions because I had terrible scars.Also, try to stay positive about spiro. Visualize your skin healing! :)

Laser genesis? Is that similar to an IPL in the United States? Are u a little red for awhile then the pigment comes up and looks like coffee grounds?

I know. I'm really trying to stay positive about the sprionolactone. I just started my first day of the 100mg.

I'm sorry to hear that!  I will say I've had so many injections that there are a few spots that are slightly... pitted, I think?  They're hardly noticeable though, and I would certainly be the first one to say if it was a problem, ha!  She wouldn't even use the standard amount sometimes; she's use less, and luckily it would work.  I'm not too worried about it. Cysts are waaaay worse than a slight indentation/discoloration.  I'm hoping they fade and plump up again eventually.  I can only worry about so much, ha.

Ughh it was horrible until I pit filler it it!! Sooooo bad! I'm just really praying that it will heal back to what it was. Your lucky it never happened to U. It's very traumatizing.

#70 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

No laser genesis is different. You could put on a little powder and go right out- no recovery time. It takes a few days to see some improvement and in bad cases a few sessions. Contact medical laser centres in your town for prices and/or reviews.

#71 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

Humm! I'm going to look it up!! Thank you for the referral!

#72 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:14 PM

No problem JennaBean! It really helped me, I had a ton of scars and this treatment improved my skin in time for a wedding I was part of. This is the place I got it done in Victoria: http://clearskinvict...services/face/.
I'm also a big fan of Josie Maran Cosmetics for covering red marks.

#73 Baybreeze

Baybreeze

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

So I posted on here last month, I've now been on spironolactone for a month and 1 week. I've been using cetaphil just like my dermatologist recommended and my skin has only gotten rougher and bumpier. I know that there is an initial breakout that may come with taking this but is it suppose to be this prolonged? I've been very careful with not overdoing anything and all I'm getting is more clogged pores :( Any recommendations?

#74 travellinggal1170

travellinggal1170

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

So I posted on here last month, I've now been on spironolactone for a month and 1 week. I've been using cetaphil just like my dermatologist recommended and my skin has only gotten rougher and bumpier. I know that there is an initial breakout that may come with taking this but is it suppose to be this prolonged? I've been very careful with not overdoing anything and all I'm getting is more clogged pores sad.png Any recommendations?

Hang in there! This drug takes time to work, depending on the severity of your acne. For me, I definitely started seeing results after the first month and now after two months, my skin has really improved greatly.  A gentle skin care regime will help the current acne and maybe your derm can prescribe a compoud Rx to help.  It seems that the three month mark is the magic time frame for this drug to really kick in, although it may take 6 months for others. Don't give up hope just yet.

#75 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

So I posted on here last month, I've now been on spironolactone for a month and 1 week. I've been using cetaphil just like my dermatologist recommended and my skin has only gotten rougher and bumpier. I know that there is an initial breakout that may come with taking this but is it suppose to be this prolonged? I've been very careful with not overdoing anything and all I'm getting is more clogged pores :( Any recommendations?

Oh no. Really? That's how long I've been on it too! I honestly haven't noticed any difference really. Maybe less oil. But I wasn't too oily to begin with. I know it takes a while for this medication to work. Give it more time. My derm immediately bummed me up to 100mg last week when I told her I haven't noticed any difference and haven't had any side effects with the 50mg. Have you asked your derm what his/her thoughts are?

#76 Baybreeze

Baybreeze

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'm trying! It's hard when it had started out at one breakout around the chin and now it's my whole face with clogged pores. I have never had acne this bad and I feel like it just looks worse when I try to cover it up with makeup when I have all these bumps. My derm had me bumped up to 100 mg and I asked for an antibiotic but unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover much. Now she out for another week or two so I'm kind of stuck. I've tried the trentinoin topical cream which made it 10 times worse and now am using aczone which isn't really doing anything to help. My skins gotten less oily but now it just has this rough texture to it.

#77 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

I'm trying! It's hard when it had started out at one breakout around the chin and now it's my whole face with clogged pores. I have never had acne this bad and I feel like it just looks worse when I try to cover it up with makeup when I have all these bumps. My derm had me bumped up to 100 mg and I asked for an antibiotic but unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover much. Now she out for another week or two so I'm kind of stuck. I've tried the trentinoin topical cream which made it 10 times worse and now am using aczone which isn't really doing anything to help. My skins gotten less oily but now it just has this rough texture to it.

I bet you are experiancing that from the topical. I know when I've tried topicals in the past, it always does that to me. I would keep things simple maybe. Cleanser. SPF, moisturizer. And maybe just spot treat the blemishes you currently have. Can you see an esthetician to remove the clogged pores?

#78 travellinggal1170

travellinggal1170

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

I initially started off at 50 mg/day, then 75mg and when I upped it to 100 mg/day, that's when I started to notice a real difference. If your derm has just increased your dose to 100 mg/day, give it time for your body to adjust. You can't adjust hormones overnight (as much as that would be nice). I didn't need to take any antibiotics and you may want to hold off on that for now. I'm not sure how effective spiro and antibiotics are in combination but I'd be concerned about the toll on your body and liver.

I would avoid using any trentinoin or Retin A creams for now. I'm not familiar with aczone but chances are it has a drying effect on your skin.  When I used Metro Gel (before spiro) it made my skin look rougher and my acne looked more pronounced.   If at all possible, avoid wearing makeup so that your skin can breathe. Trust me, I know how hard this is, especially when you want to cover your acne. But I think not wearing makeup will help your skin heal faster.  I've found less is more with skin care helped my skin to heal.  Use a good sunscreen too; this will help the hyper pigmentation to heal better. 

I use Cerave hydrating cleanser, Paula's Choice 2% BHA lotion (only on the trouble spots), Cerave lotion and Vichy sunscreen during the day. Paula's Choice BHA lotion is helping with my blackheads so this might work on the clogged pores. 

Check in with your derm when she's back and give the higher dose some time to work.  Try and stay positive because stress will definitely make things worse. 

Edited by travellinggal1170, 10 September 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#79 Calumma

Calumma

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

I am on it ( 100 mg) over 6 weeks now. I did not experience a horrible IB, but some weird things happened to my skin. Never used to have whiteheads besides the cysts, only tons of blackheads on my nose and lots of closed comedones that were tiny bumps and irregularites on my face. While BPO always helped great with the Cysts and pimples, it never helped the comedones. Now that I want to switch to spiro because I still suffer from extreme oiliness of my skin and I just feel that after over 20 years of BP my skin is kind of fed up. ( my bleached clothes as well ). Anyway, after 3 weeks on spiro my nose went crazy. Many of the blackheads formed into little zits and whiteheads. That was weird and my nose looked terrible. The BP did not really help with it. Well that lasted for about a week, and now... The blackheads have disappeared. All of them. My nose actually does not look too great because I have all those little huge pores on it where the blackheads used to sit, but I hope this will get better with time. Last week my forehead and cheeks were starting to do the same thing with the closed comedones. I bought some Paulas Choice 2% gel and put it on in the morning, an that seems to help great. My skin is by far more dry than it used to be. I feel that something is happening, so I just wait where this leads to. I tried to stay off BP for 3 days but started to break out, so definately my skin is not yet ready

Edited by Calumma, 12 September 2013 - 12:36 AM.

Successfully on "the regimen" from age 12 to 33 for cystic acne
 Now:
 100mg spironolactone since 08/13
Paula's Choice BHA 2%,
Green Cream 6 Retinol

Acne free and already almost free of hyperpigmentation, discolorations and wrinkles

#80 maria199

maria199

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Spiro was a miracle for me.. I have a before and after (1 and a half year) picture here. But my mother just can't understand that i have a health problem. My hormone levels are fine but i seem to be too sensitive to them. So she kept saying that i am stupid to take a hypertension pill for acne, that this is for women with pcos, that my skin is fine, that i will get cancer, i am destroying my kidneys, ovaries etc.. So i decided to go off it. At first it was fine (i don't know if the swimming pool had something to do with that) but gradually i started breaking out again. At first only after eating dairy and know even through i eat basically only salads i continue to break out. Today i started spiro again, 100 mg. She doesn't know but sooner or later she will find out. I can't stand her nagging again and don't know what to do. She can't realise that i can't let acne destroy the best years of my life..

What clears my acne:

Spironolactone 100 mg + limiting dairy

indoxyl (duac) gel + aha + baby brush for comedones.

3hnd.jpg