Photo

Spironolactone (Aldactone)

spironolactone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#41 Baybreeze

Baybreeze

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

I wish my skin would get use to it. It's just been getting more inflamed and I went to the docs when I had a large cyst and got a cortisone shot and then went back again and she said since its still breaking out to bump it up from 50 to 100 so that's what I'm on now. I just don't know if I trust her with it because I've seen so many mixed reviews.

#42 Sumisee

Sumisee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

you need to be patient and you shouldn't have bumped the dose to 100 mg so soon. I was on spiro for 5 months and only saw improvments at the very end of the 4th month, almost at 5 full months. it takes forever and my skin got worse and worse the whole time. I was clearing up finally but stopped taking it cus my hair was falling out from the 100 mg. try to stay on 50 mg for 6 months and then increase. stronger doses will bring more side effects. I learned the hard way. we need to be more patient or else we will bring ourselves into more trouble. I might go back on it and just stay on 50 mg for a while if my hair stops falling out!     

#43 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

If your acne is hormonal I would trust the fact that it will work. You have to be patient like Sumisee says.
Acne is so frustrating because it gets worse before better in some people when you start treatment.
Even with accutane, it gets worse before better in some people. It's still frustrating that they can cure soooooo many diseases except acne!! I don't get it

#44 Baybreeze

Baybreeze

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

You're right I need to be patient. My derm was the one who suggested me to bump it up to 100 so I hope it's not too much for me. If this is hormonal I'm just not use to this type of breakout, it' almost feels sore so I guess I have to get use to it 😕

#45 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

Bay breeze: have u had any blood work done to test your hormones?
Yeah, hormonal acne is usually cystic and painful

#46 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:25 AM

Sometimes it helps to support the liver while on spiro, or any medication really. Acne patients put their liver through lots of abuse with all the meds and birth control and whatnot we put it through. I've been clear on spiro for a while now. A persistent side effect has been increased cramping and sore breasts before my period. I've been taking Jarrows Milk Thistle, two capsules daily for two months, and this last cycle no side effects. Leads me to believe some of us need to help our liver process the medication. The liver also helps us process our own hormones and toxic waste.

Edited by Green Gables, 01 September 2013 - 02:27 AM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#47 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

Yeah I think one of the unknows about Spiro is why it would cause worse breakouts. If you read up you will see that Spiro is partially androgenic and can activate your androgen receptors if not binding with androgens ad it is meant to. Surely worse breakouts are a sign of this. For some reason this changes over time for many people and Spiro starts blocking androgen instead.

#48 Sumisee

Sumisee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Posting this update on this forum too!

I have good news to share with everyone: the hair shedding stopped! I ended up stopping the spironolactone for just a week because my mom urged me to get back on it and just stay on a lower dose to see if the hair shedding would stop. She didn't want me back on birth control pills unless I gave Spiro a second chance. So I have been taking 25 mg of Spiro for just about a week now and the past few days of combing my hair, showering, etc. I have not lost an unusual amount of hair!!! Yay!!!!! I stopped taking 100 mg on August 7 and then lowered it to 75 mg until August 19 and then quit on the 19th because I was freaking out about all the shedding. What was causing this was the 100 mg so I will never go back on that dose. Also, my skin broke out that week that I quit Spiro cold turkey (19th – 25th) but since starting the 25 mg about a week ago (August 26th), my pimples are all drying up and I haven't gotten any new pimples since starting and this is on 25 mg!!!! I noticed that I was clearing on the higher doses at the 5th month but I never gave the lower doses a chance to work. We need to be patient ladies. If I just took 25- 50 mg for 6 months I could have been clearing and could avoided all that hair loss. I know that my healthy hair will grow back in time but this could have been avoided if I had patience!!!!! I thank my mom so much for forcing me to get back on Spiro and not start bc pills!!!!!!! I just wanted to share my experience so that other women starting Spiro can avoid this dred shed (or any other awful side effects) and just know that being patient will be well worth it in the end. I will update how my skin is doing in a couple months from now again!

#49 Baybreeze

Baybreeze

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

Sumisee that's great they're starting to dry up and it's going better your second round. I've been on 100 mg for a month now and I feel like its still just been getting worse day by day. I see a new one pop up everyday. I just don't know if this is normal, I thought it may not clear up what I had but would start preventing new ones. It's really making me depressed from how much worse its gotten :(

#50 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Sumisee: that is wonderful news! So happy for you! I go to my derm on Tuesday and I'm wondering if I should tell her that I want to stay on the 50mg. I was going to show her my blood work (testosterone levels) and see what she thinks.

Bay breeze: I'm so sorry to hear that :-(. Honestly, I would ask your derm and maybe go on antibiotics for even just a few months. And just slowly wean yourself off them. I know a lot of people on here are against antibiotics but I think for short term, while u have the IB from sprionolactone, it would be a good idea.

#51 Baybreeze

Baybreeze

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

Yeah I'm definitely going too. I'm just still kind of upset she didn't the last visit I had because she said the aczone would help although I told her I was still breaking out. With the breakouts I'm having now it feels like its completely ruining my skin. :(. The last thing I wanted was to worry about my skin while stArting school so antibiotics I think are going to be my only hope.

#52 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Bay breeze: ugh I'm so sorry. I know, it's so frustrating. I'm still really wondering why spironolactone would case an initial breakout! I can't seem to get a real answer!

#53 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

Sumisee that's great they're starting to dry up and it's going better your second round. I've been on 100 mg for a month now and I feel like its still just been getting worse day by day. I see a new one pop up everyday. I just don't know if this is normal, I thought it may not clear up what I had but would start preventing new ones. It's really making me depressed from how much worse its gotten sad.png

Let's just assume for a minute that your acne is caused by androgenic activity and you don't have some crazy weird issue thrown in the mix, meaning that we're assuming that lowering androgenic activity will eventually clear your skin. 

Now let's look at what spironolactone actually does. It is an antagonist (think "anti") of the androgen receptor. This means it competes with agonists (think "pro") of the androgen receptor. Basically less androgenic activity occurs because the spironolactone gets to the androgen receptor and binds to it first. 

This is all great and puts you on the path to clear skin. But it takes a freakishly long time to actually show up in your skin. It's kind of like exercise. You don't go from flab to toned and buff after a few workouts. It takes time for your body to respond to exercise, build muscle, heal from that process, build more muscle, etc. until you finally get your six pack. It takes time for spiro binding to your androgen receptors to have a systemic effect on the hormones in your body, and then even more time for your skin to adjust.

Okay, you say, so I won't clear overnight. But why am I creating new acne when theoretically my androgenic activity should be gradually lowering?

The main reason is that hormones are just part of the chain of inflammation that creates acne. They are a HUGE part, don't get me wrong, but not the only part. Even if you work on the hormone part of the chain, other parts of the chain can actually continue for quite a long time by themselves. Maybe it helps to think of hormones like food. Androgenic activity feeds acne, but your body has ways of storing and using that food for extended periods of time. Even if you cut off new food, they've still got a lot in storage, and maybe they'll even go on a little binge eating fest when you disrupt their supply with spironolactone. Any time you change your hormone cycle, even if it's a good change in the long run, your body can react "defensively" with things such as an initial breakout. The processes in your body like the status quo and will fight to the death to stay the way they are. 

Meanwhile, while you're waiting for spiro to do its magic, other parts of the inflammation chain are at work. The natural bacteria in your skin happily feeds on your sebum, and create excess amounts of lipase, which creates more free fatty acids, which irritates your skin and contributes to cysts. (This is why some people find antibiotics helpful for controlling initial breakouts, but the pros and cons of antibiotics are a topic for another day.) The irritation triggers white blood cells to produce pus, which blocks even more pores. An acne breeding cycle starts which can continue on its own for a while, even if you're starving it of androgens. 

If it helps, my skin looked the same from about month 1 to month 4. That means I was getting new pimples, I was getting them in different places, we're talking zero improvement here. Sometimes I felt like it was worse, too, though that's hard to judge because I didn't take pictures or count zits because it depressed me too much! By about month 4, I was finally seeing a slow decrease in the number of pimples on my face, but I didn't look clear at all, not by a long shot. Getting to zero-zit land took another 4 months.

Edited by Green Gables, 02 September 2013 - 12:47 AM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#54 Sumisee

Sumisee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

Green Gables is absolutely right! Please be patient because it takes time for your body to adjust. she had severe cystic acne and only after 8 months did she see dramatic improvement. On September 20, it will make my 6 month mark (w/ only 1 week off completely) on spiro and I only saw improvement in month 5. This drug is crazy slowwwww. Please give it at least 6 months before u give up and believe that its not helping, if anything making things worse. Im very sorry ur experiencing an intial breakout cus sme ppl didn't. but I did so I know how u feel girls! Hang in there sweeties!!!!!  

#55 Sumisee

Sumisee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

JennaBean, what were your testosterone levels? are you saying you want to go to the derm to lower ur dose or increase it? 50 mg is a perfect dose but u never know if 25 mg might help. that low dose seems to help me because I dnt struggle with PCOS or high DHEA, Testosterone, estrogen levels etc. that's why I think I was losing crazy amounts of hair on the 100 mg and other girls didn't because they may have higher hormone levels. Im still unsure why that hair shedding occurred.    

#56 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

Sumisee: my testosterone is mildly high. It's 55. Normal range for my age bracket is 2-45. So yes, it is considered high. I do not have severe acne by any means. I DO gets cysts though. Thats all I have ever gotten since I entered my 20's. I do get small breakouts from products or what not. But majority is cysts! This whole journey started because in one week I had 3 cysts on my chin. Usually it would just be one big one at a time. I had a feeling it had something to do with my hormones.

So I just got back from the derm and she up'ed by dosage of sprionolactone to 100mg. She said she sees the most effectiveness at this dosage. But I think since your hormones are fine, 50mg is probably all you need.

I also had a saline treatment done on my kenalog atrophy

#57 Sumisee

Sumisee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

that's great that you got 100 mg. im sure you will clear up on that dose soon. you most likely needed the higher dose eventually cus your testosterone levels are a bit elevated and mine were not. the spiro will def. help those bad painful cysts from the hormonal imbalance. 

#58 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:26 PM

that's great that you got 100 mg. im sure you will clear up on that dose soon. you most likely needed the higher dose eventually cus your testosterone levels are a bit elevated and mine were not. the spiro will def. help those bad painful cysts from the hormonal imbalance. 

I hope so! I honestly wouldn't mind little zits! But I HATE cysts!! I start the 100mg tomorrow! So we will see!

#59 MaskedOne

MaskedOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I hope so! I honestly wouldn't mind little zits! But I HATE cysts!! I start the 100mg tomorrow! So we will see!

I completely know what you mean. I HATE the cysts.  I hate when you can feel one before it's even noticeable.  I've been on 100mg/day (I take 50mg 2x/day 12 hours apart) for just over a month now, and I really hope it's starting to slow down. I'm also on OTC which my docs think is helping too.

I think this medication works differently for everyone -- while it's supposed to work a certain way in theory, there are so many variables between people, it's hard to say one person will represent everyone else's experience.  This is my second time on it, and so far - thank goodness - I've had no weird side effects.  I've actually noticed my hair getting thicker again (this happened last time too). So I guess that's a side effect, but I'll take that one!

The doctors I've been seeing say they've noticed most of their patients showng drastic improvement at 100mg/day, but obviously everyone is different.  While I'm one 100mg/day now, I hope some day I can decrease the amount. 

Edited by MaskedOne, 05 September 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#60 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I completely know what you mean. I HATE the cysts.  I hate when you can feel one before it's even noticeable.  I've been on 100mg/day (I take 50mg 2x/day 12 hours apart) for just over a month now, and I really hope it's starting to slow down. I'm also on OTC which my docs think is helping too.

I think this medication works differently for everyone -- while it's supposed to work a certain way in theory, there are so many variables between people, it's hard to say one person will represent everyone else's experience.  This is my second time on it, and so far - thank goodness - I've had no weird side effects.  I've actually noticed my hair getting thicker again (this happened last time too). So I guess that's a side effect, but I'll take that one!

The doctors I've been seeing say they've noticed most of their patients showng drastic improvement at 100mg/day, but obviously everyone is different.  While I'm one 100mg/day now, I hope some day I can decrease the amount. 

Totally!! I HATE cysts!! It would have saved my skin so much damage if I never got cysts!!
I really hope the 100mg works. I will seriously cry if it doesn't. I've tried everything.....but accutane.
Thicker hair!!? I would take that side effect too!!
I didn't see much of a difference while I was on the 50mg for the first month. So hopefully the 100mg will.
What manufacturer is yours? I've seen some women say that some manufacturers work better than others!