Photo

Spironolactone (Aldactone)

spironolactone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#21 txcutiepie03

txcutiepie03

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:33 AM

I never post in these forums, but wanted to come in here to offer some hope to anyone who might need it. I started Spironolactone almost a year ago. I started at 50mg/day. It didn't seem to be doing anything and, after 3 months I went back to my doctor to ask for a higher dose. She bumped me up to 100mg/day and I will never forget she essentially told me that this dosage works for all her patients, and that I better not be the exception. I was certain that I would be the only person that Spiro does not work for, since that's my luck and nothing else has worked in the past. I suffered through worse acne than I'd ever had before over the next several months at 100mg. The only thing that kept me going was coming here to read about everyone else's success with spiro, and the confidence that my doctor seemed to have that this would work. 7 months later of 100mg/day and I can tell you, it truly does work and I am so glad I waited it out! I have never been this clear in my life, and now the only thing I deal with is acne scarring and the occasional tiny pimple on my chin right before that time of the month. 

Don't give up on spiro, what the others have said about it is true: it takes a long time, but it is so worth it to stick with it. 

Thank you so much - you have no idea. I am 6.5 months on 100mg a day and honestly, I am still oily. I have been told it can take 9 months to work so I'm trying so hard not to give up hope. When you say 7 months, did you START seeing improvements then or did you reach your final clearance at that point? And it was 7 months after starting the 100mg, not including the time you spent on the 50mg?

I'm glad my post was somewhat helpful to you, michi31! I don't even count the time I spent at 50mg/day because everything was exactly the same for my skin at that dosage. I moved up to 100mg/day and my skin freaked out for probably a good 6 months until I started seeing improvement in the 7th month. The way it worked for me, it was like my skin freaked out and then all of sudden the next month(month 7 at 100mg/day) it was basically clear (i had one or two small and short lived pimples right before my period). The only gradual improvement I noticed was less oily skin around month 6, but I still had breakouts. I think it can definitely take even longer for some people. So it's been a total of 10 months on Spiro for me, but I don't even count 3 of those months, since nothing got worse or better over that time. I also use topical tazorac, which really didn't help that much before when my skin was terrible, but now it seems to be helping with fading scars. 

#22 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

That's so great! What did your derm say about your 6 month breakout? Any explanation? It is just so weird that people break out worse at first..

#23 Sumisee

Sumisee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

txcutiepie03,

Thank you for telling me your experience! Because of you saying that, I will def. stick with it for more months because your story sounds like mine! I am at almost 5 months and have my horrible skin still but I am going to be patient!! I will let everyone know in a few more months how my skin is doing on the spiro! I really really appreciate everyone's responses; they keep me going with this very very slow med.!    

michi31,

Lets not give up yet hun! I am in the same boat as you except I'm at 5 months and your at 6.5 months! I have really no improvements and I still have the oily skin too so you're not alone on this!

#24 txcutiepie03

txcutiepie03

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

txcutiepie03,

Thank you for telling me your experience! Because of you saying that, I will def. stick with it for more months because your story sounds like mine! I am at almost 5 months and have my horrible skin still but I am going to be patient!! I will let everyone know in a few more months how my skin is doing on the spiro! I really really appreciate everyone's responses; they keep me going with this very very slow med.!    

michi31,

Lets not give up yet hun! I am in the same boat as you except I'm at 5 months and your at 6.5 months! I have really no improvements and I still have the oily skin too so you're not alone on this!

michi31, my doctor did not have an explanation for me, she just gave me the prescription and told me that 100 mg works for all her patients, so I better not be the one it does not work for. Then she told me to double up on my 50 mg until that ran out at which point I began filling my 100mg prescription. I am out of refills next month, so I will go in at that point to share the good news! My only thought about why skin gets worse before it gets better is that your hormones are adjusting to the meds. I will ask her when I go back to see her (at the end of the month) if she has any thoughts about it. I never went back in to see her when my skin was freaking out because I wanted to believe that spiro would work, and I was a little afraid she would take me off of it since it wasn't working. 

Sumisee, that's the spirit! Hold on to hope! If I can figure out how to black out my eyes, I will post some inspirational before and after photos here to give you and michi31 more hope. Seriously, these forums were the only thing that gave me hope when my skin was at it's worst! 

#25 txcutiepie03

txcutiepie03

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

I hope these pictures work! Two taken just this morning and the other one taken about 3 months into my 100mg/day of Spiro. If not, you may be able to see them in my gallery.

#26 hatchter

hatchter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Can a man take this medication? Someone asked and I recommended these to him.

#27 Sumisee

Sumisee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think 50 mg is fine but more than that can cause him to get feminine features like enlarged breasts. Also could cause loss of hair, and no sex drive. The medicine suppresses the male sex hormones which some females have more than needed but if a guys male sex hormones are suppressed, they could be in trouble. this medicine is actually used for guys that want to change their gender! However, 50 mg wont be strong enough to suppress too much male hormone so he should be fine with that and people do have success clearing their skin with that dose; it just takes longer to help clear. He could try it but tell him to give it 6-9 months to clear up and it might get worse before it gets better! I was reading reviews online and some elderly men take this medicine for blood pressure and they have no problem with that dose but higher than that, they start explaining their bad side effects like some I listed.     

#28 hatchter

hatchter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

I think 50 mg is fine but more than that can cause him to get feminine features like enlarged breasts. Also could cause loss of hair, and no sex drive. The medicine suppresses the male sex hormones which some females have more than needed but if a guys male sex hormones are suppressed, they could be in trouble. this medicine is actually used for guys that want to change their gender! However, 50 mg wont be strong enough to suppress too much male hormone so he should be fine with that and people do have success clearing their skin with that dose; it just takes longer to help clear. He could try it but tell him to give it 6-9 months to clear up and it might get worse before it gets better! I was reading reviews online and some elderly men take this medicine for blood pressure and they have no problem with that dose but higher than that, they start explaining their bad side effects like some I listed.     

He has said that he likes big breasts so that shouldn't be a problem! 

#29 the uphill battle

the uphill battle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

Please be patient! I didn't see real improvement probably until 6 months.. at 5 months I got a bad breakout too and felt discouraged. I have seen this drug take about 8-9 months to kick in for others, but it is worth the wait! 

"I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." -Marilyn Monroe

#30 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

Has anyone experienced a higher sex drive on this med? I feel mine has been higher which I take as a bad sign...

#31 Sumisee

Sumisee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

the uphill battle,

How are you doing now with spiro? are you clear and what dose are you on? Thank you for posting your experience on this forum!

michi31,

im sorry but i cant really help answer that question for you because my sex drive has been the same on spiro as if im not even taking it and its not high either!   

#32 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

From what I've read, sex drive should actually decrease since its blocking excess androgens

#33 cynthschenck

cynthschenck

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hi, my name is Cynthia. I have been on spiro. going on 4 months. 50mg to 100mg now. I have hormonal acne, I'm 33, exercise at least 5 hours a week, & have tried so many meds! Sprio works for me & skin looks great. When waiting for a refill for another 3 months supply I went off for about 3 weeks to 4. During that time some acne came back. My breast were really really sore & hard like I was preggo. Now that I'm back on meds. with a higher doasge I've notice that I bruise easliy, my back aches badly, I do get light headed with it. My sex drive is totally screwed since being on spiro. My husband & I would have sex @ least 3 times a week now the minimum maybe 2! I have an appointment w/ my Obgyn on Monday to see if we can counter act this issue! Also, my period cones earlier than normal. And, I can't focus as I used to either! Anyone with these side effects?

Edited by cynthschenck, 22 August 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#34 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

Cynthia: I have heard it lowers your sex drive :-/. I've only been on it for almost 3 weeks and can tell its lowered mine. I also feel light headed, but only when I'm dehydrated. I have to drink a ton of water!! Try drinking more.
When did you start seeing results? I actually feel pretty dry now. But still keep getting little clogged pores.

#35 cynthschenck

cynthschenck

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:41 PM

Jeannabean I saw results w/I 2nd month.

#36 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Cynthia: I'll be on week 3 this Wednesday. Guess I have a little longer to wait. Did u experience an initial breakout like some people did at the one month mark?

#37 Baybreeze

Baybreeze

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

I'm 22 and just started on the spirolactone almost a month now. My acne was moderate when I started but now I feel like my face has completely flared up since being on it? Is this normal? I'm getting the breakout on my cheeks to my jawline and everywhere around it. I feel like every morning I've been getting 1 or 2 new bumps...please let me know if I should be having this

#38 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

Bay breeze: I have heard that an initial breakout does happen with some women. What milligram are u on?

#39 Baybreeze

Baybreeze

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

I've been taking 100 mg. I just feel like it's been getting worse and most people said it only took 2 weeks for it to start going down and looking better.

#40 JennaBean

JennaBean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:55 AM

See, I've actually heard more of the opposite. I've seen more women that have an initial breakout with it. Maybe you could lower your dose? My doc has me on 50mg so my body can get use to it. Then after a month, bump me up to 100mg if needed. You should tell your doctor about the breakout and see of their is anything she/he can do