18 replies to this topic

#1 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:52 PM

"Be Still"

Edited by SanLosAng, 17 January 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#2 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

I think your skin looks great even with the scarring. Such a nice complexion you have, and a really healthy glow. You seem to have mild rolling scars. They'll look better once the redness fades (it will fade). You could try either subcision (effective and fairly low-risk, but hard to find a doctor) or a fractional CO2 like Fraxel Repair or Deep FX (expensive, more risky/harsh but effective). You could also try dermarolling, as it seems best suited for mild rolling scars like yours and is very low risk and low cost, you could even do it yourself if you do enough research first. It's probably not as effective, but in your case it might be a good treatment option.

Whatever you decide, remember that you can't have treatments for at least 6 months after finishing accutane, preferably a year. Since your scarring is still hyperpigmented and healing, you should wait until it has fully matured before making decisions on treatments. Good luck!

#3 senoritastephie

senoritastephie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Agree with Austra!  You are a great looking guy.  I know in my pic no one can see my acne scars (lighting and makeup do wonders for hiding indented acne scars on camera I've found), but mine are pretty bad.  I just focus on other things now instead of my skin.  When I first started noticing my skin scarring I'd obsessed, then it'd just get worse and now I'm to the point where I don't care because there could be worse things.  It's hereditary in my family, though.  My grandmother had the exact same scarring, an uncle, and a brother.  Focus on making sure you won't get acne again, and get involved in things.  Lately I'm too busy accomplishing goals I had when I was younger (getting into bodybuilding, started a running club, etc, etc).  And if it's attracting someone, most other people don't notice unless they have similar skin issues.  Never had an issue finding a guy once I got over my insecurities.  Most of my ex-bfs loved how smart I was and how confident I was compared to other girls they dated.  So keep your chin up.  Don't forget it's okay to feel what you're feeling.  Since you only just noticed them (or they only just occurred), it's going to feel overwhelming at first.  And eventually (within 6 months time) you can see about getting them taken care of.

#4 NUman

NUman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:13 AM

Always remind yourself every time, "normal people, normal situations"; as much as we live in a world where physical looks count, it is necessary to realize that we deserve just as much as the smooth-skins do. It isn't something one should be ashamed or proud of, just the same as nationality, skin color and other items that are genetically determined. So never ever prematurely back out of opportunities because of a few scars, we all deserve the same things that others do.

I'd personally say that you look like quite the fine chap with strong features. Allow your skin to recuperate from the trauma first before trying anything, watch your nutrient intake and keep busy keeping healthy; For me, I stopped using facial cleanser and topical products because I finally realized that it was traumatizing my skin for years and it looked much healthier now, while I only wash with warm water and lightly apply tretinion cream nightly.

When the cosmetic derm recommends a treatment, I'd say get a second opinion first before making a final decision. Take good care, mate.

#5 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

"Be Still"

Edited by SanLosAng, 02 October 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#6 austra

austra

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I can understand you feeling down about your scarring, but honestly it's not as bad as you feel it is. You are still a nice-looking young man, period. There's no reason to feel ashamed of how you look. You really are lucky in that the scarring doesn't draw attention away from your facial features and is quite subtle looking. It's not as noticeable or as big a deal as you think. Also, rolling scars are supposed to be the easiest scar type to fix, so you have a lot potential improvement with many different types of treatments.

Now, then. About this doctor. Chemical peels won't work for that type of scarring. I'd find some other plastic surgeon who can do subcision and/or fractional ablative laser (Fraxel Re:pair, Deep FX). Silicone injections might be very effective for rolling scars, but silicone is a permanent filler so you need to do a lot of research yourself to make sure your doctor knows what he's doing and consider it carefully. If you're desperate to get your scars looking better fast, try a temporary filler like Juvederm or Restylane.

And please don't think about ending your life over this. Firstly, it's not such a big deal and it doesn't affect your looks that much. It can be shocking to deal with scarring to begin with, but it gets easier over time and you learn to live them. Secondly, your scarring is the treatable kind and if you feel like you need to get improvement to move on, then you just get through the treatments you need and stick it out. I'm sure you'd get good results and will get through this whole experience. It will honestly get better. 

#7 tracy521

tracy521

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

i just wanted to say that you look great and your scars really arent bad at all. men look good with scarring anyways its makes them look more rugged so i say go on with your life and try to be happy. you are a good looking guy and really shouldnt worry at all. my hubby has some scarring and it looks fine on him and doesnt bother me one bit. what that doctor quoted you is crazy expensive to me. i would wait a year and see how things are looking at that time and then if you still want to do something then go for it but make sure you get at least a few different opinions. 

#8 no_hope

no_hope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hello everyone, my name is **** and I'm 22 years old guy.

Two months ago, I finished a 7 months treatment of Accutane in which I reached a max dose of 150mg/kg. 

I hate my skin. I mean I know It could probably be worse, but I'm just so obsessed about my skin and other's people skin, I hate it, I sometimes feel envy about other's skin, damn it wastes so much time of my life and makes me feel so low sometimes.

I don't know if I caused my scarring during my Accutane treatment, I wish to think I didn't.

I wish to hear from you guys how do you avoid wasting time looking at your scars or looking at someone's else skin and feeling envy and shitty... I really need to get over it or I'll just throw myself into depression (I also feel guilt sometimes (maybe I caused my own scars touching my pimples? (though I tried not to))

Secondly I wish to hear what would you recommend me to treat my face. I've already looked into scars treatments but I haven't met with a scar-treating dermatologist yet (although I have set two appointments this month). There are just so many treatments out there I'm just not sure:

* Chemical peel? (medium? deep?)

* Lasers? (Fraxel? Fractional (w.e that means)? erbium? co2?)

Subcision?

My old dermatologist gave me Retin-A to use after Acctuane, I've been using it in the past two months and I guess I'm gonna keep using it...

Here are my results (1.5 to 2.5 months post-Accutane (mixed)):

http://imgur.com/a/BhOeW

http://imgur.com/a/khWJI

Maybe the redness will fade away? some say it takes some time after Accutane

Thank you smile.png.

theres a treatment called enerjet/airgent which i think can give you good results. if my deep boxcars got good resutls you sure as hell can bet your deep rolling scars will get good results. its subcision and filler all in one machine that give you long term improvement

#9 Sahara

Sahara

The soul you're about to sell...

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Roaccutane: March - October 2010.

Not a straightforward journey, but best thing I have ever done.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:53 AM

You're a great looking guy, and you really have nothing to be sad about!

As you've only recently finished 'tane, as hard as it is, give it time. Your skin will continue to heal and rectify itself, and you may find that you don't need any treatment for scarring. Speaking as someone who is nearly 3 years out of treatment, the difference 6 / 12 mths down the line is amazing.

Keep smiling!

#10 .JacktheLad.

.JacktheLad.

sex drugs and sausage rolls

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:?

Achievements

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:18 PM

hey man, i know how you feel when you say *what I created* i have light scarring (only light) and that really got to me, how I created them due to picking..

anyway. I know its hard to accept and that the scarring bothers you so much, but from a man to man (straight btw) you are good looking. i think what you need to do is recover from your tane, and eat well, rest well. then get treatment that a derm recommends (go to a good one) 

put it this way - it can only get better right?

#11 AghhNe

AghhNe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

Two months ago, I finished a 7 months treatment of Accutane in which I reached a max dose of 150mg/kg. 

I hate my skin. I mean I know It could probably be worse, but I'm just so obsessed about my skin and other's people skin, I hate it, I sometimes feel envy about other's skin, damn it wastes so much time of my life and makes me feel so low sometimes.

I don't know if I caused my scarring during my Accutane treatment, I wish to think I didn't.

I wish to hear from you guys how do you avoid wasting time looking at your scars or looking at someone's else skin and feeling envy and shitty... I really need to get over it or I'll just throw myself into depression (I also feel guilt sometimes (maybe I caused my own scars touching my pimples? (though I tried not to))

Secondly I wish to hear what would you recommend me to treat my face. I've already looked into scars treatments but I haven't met with a scar-treating dermatologist yet (although I have set two appointments this month). There are just so many treatments out there I'm just not sure:

Subcision?

My old dermatologist gave me Retin-A to use after Acctuane, I've been using it in the past two months and I guess I'm gonna keep using it...

Thank you smile.png.

theres a treatment called enerjet/airgent which i think can give you good results. if my deep boxcars got good resutls you sure as hell can bet your deep rolling scars will get good results. its subcision and filler all in one machine that give you long term improvement

Isnt airgent just a temporary fix? correct me if im wrong pls. 

#12 no_hope

no_hope

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:00 PM

Subcision?

Thank you smile.png.

Isnt airgent just a temporary fix? correct me if im wrong pls. 

airgent does its own version of subcision along with a filler, there for making a callogen remodeling process happen. therefore you can achieve permanent results

#13 SanLosAng

SanLosAng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

TREATMENTS INFO - NEED YOUR ADVICE

So I've been to another dermatologist who seems a lot more professional than the last one: http://www.realself....t/Nelson-Novick

He gave me the following info and I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Not Recommended Treatments:

* Chemical peels - Big waste of money, no real improvement, waste of time.

* Lasers (of any kind) - Big waste of money, no real improvement, waste of time.

* Silicone Injections - No, Never - Way too risky.

* Natural fat fillers - Too complex and no real reason to perform two cuts... There are natural fillers.

Recommended Treatments:

Option 1 - Recommended to wait 1 years after Accutane to go this route: Subcisions - Perform subcision treatments to get the wanted flat skin result (usually takes 2-4 treatments) If further treatment is required, should perform Dermarolling.

Option 2 - Which he said I should try first before going for option 1 - Can be performed 6 months post-Accutane: NonSurgical 3D Vector Lift - He showed me the info very similar to the info presented here: http://www.radiesse....ls/three-vs.cfm.

Although he said the fillers are not set yet... he may use one of his many many many (he showed me like a hundred) different fillers that he thinks will suit best (or combination of a few)

He said in case of option 1 the results are permanent since there is production of natural collagen. Option 2 should also provide permanent or semi-permanent results since it is also catalyzes the production of natural collagen.

Extra info: He said my main concern now is probably the discoloration caused by my acne. He said it should take some time to go back to normal color but it happens eventually, he also gave me a cream that should make it heal faster. He said my body is still producing natural collagen and my scars are still in the healing process therefore he can't know yet the situation of my scarring in a few months, he said that it might reach a point where it doesn't bother me enough to perform any medical treatment, this is why he wants to wait a year before the subcision.

Option 2 costs about 1000$

Option 1 will cost around 400$ per subcision 

I didn't ask about the price Dermarolling.

He said if I were his son he would recommend to try option 2 first.

What do you think?

I've tried looking for some information regarding option 2 but I haven't really found anything relevant to acne scarring (it usually refers to skin aging)

Also here (written by the same doctor I think): http://fromyourdocto...ng Lift&t=15297

Edited by SanLosAng, 15 August 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#14 michi31

michi31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Wow great info and thanks for sharing. I have never seen anyone talk about option 2 in relation to acne scarring, so I think it would be uncharted territory. Did he say he has done this for scars before? Why does he think it will work for scarring? Subcision is tried and true, not without risks, but is a more proven way to go.

#15 Anna Di

Anna Di

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Subcision ,especially if combined with suction, and the dermaroller are the 'gold standard' in the treatment of rolling scars and in time could improve the scarring visibly. Although in my experience it was only the superficial and the moderately deep scars that filled up not the deeper ones.

From what I read, fillers are usually used as a last resort when everything else fails because they can only give you a temporary improvement. 

About this new treatment modality and fillers: did the doctor mention anything about long-lasting side effects from fillers? Anything about pretesting for allergic reactions?

Recently I have been very very tempted to get injectable fillers for a couple of deep scars but I am still indecisive. My derm advised me against it because of a risk of a delayed(a couple of months post procedure) allergic reaction to the foreign body that if occurs could make the scarring even worse. I have read everything I could find about it on the internet and indeed there is such a risk, if only small percentage. 

Your new dermatologist seems very knowledgeable about fillers and has probably had a lot of patients getting them. Maybe he would know which fillers are the safest and how to make sure to prevent an allergic reaction?

#16 FreshStart2014

FreshStart2014

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

I have heard many good things about Dr Novick. He is not my doctor (I live too far) but he does get wonderful reviews so it would seem you are in good hands. Good luck!

#17 Oldyellow

Oldyellow

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:39 AM

Hey,

So here's my story. I hope it helps, even though right now, it might seem like nothing could.

I'm 38, but rewind back to 1991, I was 16 and loving life. I live in Australia, on the beach, and life was sweet... I surfed, had the blonde hair, had the brown skin, and a body that was just starting to get shaped after training and eating super good for a year, and the girls were just starting to pay attention!

Then acne.

Holy shit... It came fast, it came hard and it knocked me for 6. In a 7 month period I went from having a few pimples to full blown, out of control severe cystic acne. Went on Roaccutane... Made it 20 times worse.

How funny are the warnings on Roaccutane? 'Do not get anyone pregnant'' my face looked like a super supreme pizza with extra pustules... Who's gonna shag me??!

So I had it bad, man. I've looked through the gallery... I had it worse than anyone I've seen. All along my jaw, and up into my cheeks. If I smiled, my dry, flaked out skin would crack and bleed and the cysts... I'd press down low and explode on the mirror up high. I can stil hear the sound...
Sad times.

I got suicidal, left school, and would spend my days at home just waiting for my mum to come home so I could burst into tears in her arms.

I had a quack for a dermatologist... Like that crazy doctor from Back to the Future... Mad. He didn't do right by me, but I also didn't do right by me. I picked, squeezed, sunbaked the Hell out it. What are you meant to do with it? It makes you feel so bad, huh? Don't feel bad if you picked it dude.
It's fucked. I hated it. I took my hate on it. And on me.

Anyway, as soon as I took myself of Roaccutane, no shit, it stopped. Like, dead. It dried up. But I was left with this purple, ice pick and keloid scar tissue mess of a face. It was hideous. So purple. I checked out your photos... I was times 20. I can't post any photos because a) we didn't have digital cameras back then and b) if I saw any one with a camera pointing my way I would threaten to kill them. There are no photos of me from 16.5 to 17 and a bit. Not even my birthday.

I checked out in desperation all the dermabrasion options (that's all we had then) and it was all bad news... Not worth it.

So I grew my hair long.

Real long.

I went back to school and felt so self conscious. It toughens you up. I was popular, so no teasing, and I became the master of self depreciation... No one can tease you if you've already made the jokes yourself!

8 months after it happened, and it all went away... I'm still purple scar face btw... I'm 17 and I hear that this beautiful 25 girl who worked at a shop near the gym I went to thought I was cute ( I was pretty buff. Covered in scars.. But buff) We ended up going out for 5 years!! That helped.

Fast forward to the now... 22 years after. The scars are still visible. The colour has all faded. Scars will never go. But you want to know what has?

My concern, embarrassment, anger, shame and everything else.

Your best friend will become time, dude.

Trust me.

Give it 3 years, and you'll still see it, but no one else will.

The care just fades away as other important things in life pop up.

You got a good look, your scars don't look deep and they are sooooooooo pale compared to what I had.

Remember this message and let me know in 4 years if you're still bothered by it.

All the best bro.

#18 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:30 AM

U can use a good bb/cc cream to cover it up when you socialize until you get treatment.

So can you do option 2 followed by option 1 within 6 months?

#19 flynelli

flynelli

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

i honestly understand how u feel. Personally, i think i have some kinda OCD...i jxt cnt stop picking my skin,little pimples and even tiny rashes, and d worst part is that smtyms, i dnt evn knw wen i do that. I never thought it was a problem , till i realized  had given my self so many scars, in addition to the the usual scarring i get from acne. Though am trying to get over the OCD, the spots are driving me crazy, make-up doesn't evn help. But anyway, ur still gudlookin and u rili shouldn't let yourself get so down cos of that. U still hav your whole life ahd of u, nd who knows, d spots could just strt clearin up at any time. Hang in there!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users