azithromycin antibiotic wean

5 replies to this topic

#1 Pod09

Pod09

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Hi all! After being on antibiotics for about three months, I’m down to four 500 mg azithromycin pills. I want to wean off them and realize it would be best to do it more gradually, but getting another Rx is not an option. How should I best wean the four pills I have left? Cut in half and take one piece every 4-5 days? I've been heavy on the probiotics for over a month now, so I hope that will help quell any outbreak. 

I appreciate the help! 

#2 XXYY

XXYY

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

cut the pills into halves so you have 8 (assuming theyre solid pills and not powder capsules)

monday 2 halves
tuesday 1 half
wednesday 1 half
thursday nothing
friday 1 half
saturday nothing
sunday nothing
monday 1 half
tuesday nothing
wednesday nothing
thursday 1 half
friday nothing
saturday nothing
sunday nothing
monday 1 half

done :) I'm not sure what day you intend to start weaning but those days are just a guide to show you how to slowly wean off.

Edited by circumambient, 01 August 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#3 Pod09

Pod09

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:32 PM

thanks a lot, circumambient. have you ever weaned so quickly? I'm terrified this is going to be ugly.... 

Edited by Pod09, 01 August 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#4 Pod09

Pod09

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

anyone? I'd love to hear if anyone has experienced a more rapid than normal weaning process... and if they did anything additional to help ease the likely breakout. I'm already taking a strong probiotic but would be open to anything else. thank you!

#5 mrsrobinson

mrsrobinson

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:21 PM

you should be okay, keep up with any topicals that you are using --  what topicals are you on?

#6 Pod09

Pod09

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

thanks Mrs Robinson, I hope you are right! Since I'm also dealing with perioral dermatitis, I've been using 100% natural face products from Osmia. In the past, when I took antibiotics just for acne, I was always fine when I stopped b/c they were in conjunction with Tazorac or something of that sort.

This time, I went from using a doc-rx'd cortisone cream for years (eek) that hid the PD AND acne, to antibiotics for the PD. The antibiotic did nothing for the PD, but I am now realizing it kept my acne at bay... I almost forgot I had it. :( 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the black soap, etc. I'm using will keep the acne contained as I wean off the antibiotic. What a mess! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users