Photo

Diary Of A Three-Pronged Attack: My Mission To Get Clear Skin And Avoid Roaccutane!

dianette lymecycline epiduo co-cyprindiol antibiotics benzoyl peroxide adapalene

49 replies to this topic

#41 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:43 AM

That's so good to hear MoonlitRiver! Congrats :)

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#42 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:02 AM

That's so good to hear MoonlitRiver! Congrats smile.png

Thank you Lilly. I'm really pleased! It's been a long road but my skin has finally improved. :) Just worried about what might happen when the psych messes around with my meds in a couple of weeks' time but hopefully it will be okay. I will refuse to take anything that breaks me out because I am not going through that cystic acne hell ever again!

I haven't checked in here in so long. How is the regimen going for you now? Hope you've seen some improvements!

My Current Treatment Plan

Morning: Lymecycline

Evening: Dianette + Epiduo

Diet: eliminated dairy

My Log: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/331567-diary-of-a-three-pronged-attack-my-mission-to-get-clear-skin-and-avoid-roaccutane/#entry3369787 

Acne status: essentially clear and just waiting for hyperpigmentation to fade

"I would rather learn what it feels like to burn than feel nothing at all." ~ Ron Pope

#43 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:37 AM

I definitely saw great improvements with the regimen! But I haven't been consistently clear with it unfortunately. I can't manage to use it in the mornings so it's just the full amount at night - and that really effects how well it works. So it's up and down with my skin - some really good days/weeks and others not so great where I do breakout a fair bit. Even when I am breaking out (like at the moment actually) it's way better than before so I'm happy to keep going with the regimen for a while longer.

I have looked into other treatments but I couldn't handle going through a withdrawal breakout from stopping BP or handle an initial breakout from starting something new right now. So I can understand what you mean with being worried about having meds changed. I think that's the only downside of having much better or clear skin for any amount of time after struggling to get there for so long, - you do become 'scared' in a way of your skin going backward. That's my experience / worry anyway...

Hopefully your skin stays under control now though!! :)

#44 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:39 AM

I definitely saw great improvements with the regimen! But I haven't been consistently clear with it unfortunately. I can't manage to use it in the mornings so it's just the full amount at night - and that really effects how well it works. So it's up and down with my skin - some really good days/weeks and others not so great where I do breakout a fair bit. Even when I am breaking out (like at the moment actually) it's way better than before so I'm happy to keep going with the regimen for a while longer.

I have looked into other treatments but I couldn't handle going through a withdrawal breakout from stopping BP or handle an initial breakout from starting something new right now. So I can understand what you mean with being worried about having meds changed. I think that's the only downside of having much better or clear skin for any amount of time after struggling to get there for so long, - you do become 'scared' in a way of your skin going backward. That's my experience / worry anyway...

Hopefully your skin stays under control now though!! smile.png

I'm glad you've been getting some improvements on the regimen. I can understand your worries about withdrawing from bp because when I did that after being on the regimen a couple of years my skin completely erupted! Just a thought but you could try something like Epiduo (I'm a bit biased here because it's by far the best topical I've ever used) that contains bp plus a topical retinoid as well. That way you'd be adding something more in but not withdrawing from the bp in the process. Adapalene is the mildest topical retinoid so if you're relatively clear already I wouldn't imagine you'd get much of an initial breakout. Just a thought. After my breakouts on Sertraline and Mirtazapine I'm definitely worried about the psych changing my meds around but I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they suggest. I don't mind them changing the doses of the ones I'm already on because I've already deemed them skin safe so I hope they just decide to do that rather than adding anything new. Anyway, good to hear from you and I'm glad your skin is at least better than it was before. :)

My Log: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/331567-diary-of-a-three-pronged-attack-my-mission-to-get-clear-skin-and-avoid-roaccutane/#entry3369787 

"I would rather learn what it feels like to burn than feel nothing at all." ~ Ron Pope

#45 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

Yeah I'd used BP for a while before quitting a few years ago and went through the horrible breakout from quitting it. So I still remember how bad that was! The regimen is great because it does help though. I have heard of people stopping the regimen to use epiduo instead and that's worked great for them so it's something to keep in mind :)

#46 palegreeneyes

palegreeneyes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

Hey,

I just read through your post and found it so interesting as I am myself currently on Dianette for acne. I'm only one month in and am still getting spots, which is really depressing me. The other day I had some sort of emotional breakdown and I swear it's because of my skin. I went through a period of a couple of years having near perfect clear skin, which I absolutely loved (obviously) and got so used, but then my acne came back and I'm not handling it well at all. The thought of having to wait another 3 or 4 months is killing me. I feel like I've already been on it a year (I hate it).

Really hope you are still seeing wonderful results from your medication and thank you for taking the time to keep a log on here for us to read.

PS - am very interested in the antidepressants you were subscribed as I really feel like I need something. I have got to a stage where I don't ever want to leave my house, which is so irritating as I am such a social person, but I have to constantly find excuses to not go out. Luckily I work mostly from home, so I don't actually have to leave the house often if I don't want to. But staying at home all day every day is beginning to have a really negative effect on my mental state. 

#47 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

Hi guys. So I haven't been on this forum in ages because I essentially have clear skin now, but for anybody reading my log I just wanted to upload the final before and after photos to give you all some hope that with the right treatment combination you can get clear skin!!!

The picture on the left is me in August 2013. The one on the right is me today in September 2014. I'm still on the same treatment combination and sticking with it has really paid off in the end so I am very very happy. :)

Skin Recovery.jpg

A big thank you to all of you who supported me along the way. I couldn't have got through all this without you!! xxxxx

PS - am very interested in the antidepressants you were subscribed as I really feel like I need something. I have got to a stage where I don't ever want to leave my house, which is so irritating as I am such a social person, but I have to constantly find excuses to not go out. Luckily I work mostly from home, so I don't actually have to leave the house often if I don't want to. But staying at home all day every day is beginning to have a really negative effect on my mental state. 

Hi palegreeneyes. I'm diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and have been on three antidepressants: sertraline, mirtazapine, and venlafaxine. Out of the three I would say that venlafaxine is by far the best but it's also the one that takes the longest to work so you really have to be patient with it. I didn't see any significant improvement until the 300mg dose, which is the level at which it affects serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine (as opposed to ordinary SSRIs like sertraline that only affect serotonin). I'm also on quetiapine as a mood stabiliser and have benefitted a lot from this as well. Wishing you the best of luck with whatever treatment you chose to follow xxxx

Edited by MoonlitRiver, 21 September 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#48 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'm so happy for you!! Great results - so glad it's still working well! (I'm thinking about starting Diane / dianette myself, so it's also encouraging haha). So you're also still taking lymecycline with this? 

Hope it all continues going well for you!

(And you look gorgeous too by the way :))

#49 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:35 AM

I'm so happy for you!! Great results - so glad it's still working well! (I'm thinking about starting Diane / dianette myself, so it's also encouraging haha). So you're also still taking lymecycline with this? 

Hope it all continues going well for you!

(And you look gorgeous too by the way smile.png)

Aw thank you Lilly! You've always been so supportive and encouraging. :) Yep I am still on the three part treatment: Dianette, Epiduo, and Lymecycline. My dermatologist said it was fine for me to stay on this regimen for a few more years if necessary (I think she was thinking along the lines of my mental health being much more of a priority at the moment!) so I'm pleased about that. Apparently the Lymecycline is considered to be very safe even in the long term and with the Dianette they just check my blood pressure before represcribing so it's worked out fine so far. Would definitely recommend it. How are things with you? Are you still using the regimen?

#50 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

Aw thank you Lilly! You've always been so supportive and encouraging. smile.png Yep I am still on the three part treatment: Dianette, Epiduo, and Lymecycline. My dermatologist said it was fine for me to stay on this regimen for a few more years if necessary (I think she was thinking along the lines of my mental health being much more of a priority at the moment!) so I'm pleased about that. Apparently the Lymecycline is considered to be very safe even in the long term and with the Dianette they just check my blood pressure before represcribing so it's worked out fine so far. Would definitely recommend it. How are things with you? Are you still using the regimen?

That's great you've got something that works for you and that you can keep using for the time being :) And yeah, totally understand their perspective of mental health being a priority. 

I've been going ok. Skin hasn't been great but overall I'm just not caring about it as much anymore. (I did see a psychologist for a little about anxiety / my skin so that helped a bit). It's nice that the occurrence of days where it would get to me so much are now fewer. I am still using the regimen at the moment but still only once a day. I have been more lazy with it in recent months and have tried to reduce the amount of BP to about 1 or 1 and a half pumps but my skin breaks out more with only that much. So my skin isn't great at the moment. I am looking to change what I'm doing for my skin as the regimen is rather time consuming. A routine that's a bit quicker to go through would be great for me right now. I have a derm appointment soon and I'll see what they suggest. I've spoken to a few people who've found that Diane works really well for them so it's an option I'm thinking about too. I'll see what happens :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users