Photo

Should You Wait Until You're Clear Before Adding Aha?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

I'm coming to the end of my fourth week on the regimen and I want to add AHA in to my routine at some point. I still have acne and am still breaking out - though my breakouts are less frequent and are usually small whiteheads now but I've still got a few papule type spots on my chin and jaw.

Should I wait until my skin is clear before adding in AHA? And does AHA replace moisturiser?

Also, are there any store bought alternatives to Dan's AHA? The closest thing I have to it is a product that has AHA and BHA and is marketed toward fading acne scars. I haven't used it yet and bought it before I realised it had BHA in it... I'm probably going to try it at some point but if anyone knows of better alternatives to AHA that I can find in stores, it would be great if you could let me know smile.png

Edited by Lilly75, 25 July 2013 - 09:34 PM.

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#2 TheOneThatGotAway

TheOneThatGotAway

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Working out
    Studying
    Hockey

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

I think you should wait a week or two before you start using it. And when you first use AHA, you have to use a pea size and then work your way up just like you did with BP. Last week, I tried one pump on one side of my face and another pump on the other side and I looked like I got sun burnt. :/ Not cool so I only apply one pump now every 3 days although I've been using the AHA for almost 4 weeks now. Just don't use too much at first.

#3 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me
  • Interests:Boxing, cycling, reading, learning to speak french (tres mal), public speaking, bush walking/hiking, chocolate - well actually food in general, and perfect skin.... gazing admiringly at people's perfect skin.

Achievements

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

No you don't have to be clear before you start using AHA, but you do have to make sure that your skin has (or almost has) adjusted to BP.  If you start too soon with AHA (or too fast with every day use) it will just leave you with a red irritated face.

I can't answer any of your other questions, ive only ever used Acne.org AHA.

After remaining clear for around 1.5 years following DKR (The Regimen), in March 2013 I decided to change to Epiduo.  I use a pea size amount of epiduo each night, followed by a layer of topical antibiotic (Eryacne). I also apply Eryacne every morning and moisturise twice a day. After switching to Epiduo from the regimen I found that it took a good 3 months to get back to being perfectly clear again and now I might get one small pimple appear per month.  I can live with that :)

I started following Dan's Regimen in September 2011 after suffering with acne for 20 years or so. I followed the Regimen instructions exactly and became 100% clear within 9-11 weeks. In December 2011 and after being consistently clear for over a month, I started to slowly reduce the amount of BP I used until I was only applying BP at night. My skin still remained clear however I sometimes switched to applying BP twice a day for a few days (perhaps once a month) if I felt a few under skin bumps starting to come up. I used acne.org products (including AHA and jojoba oil) and sometimes cetaphil moisturiser at night if I felt my skin was especially dry.  In the gallery I show my week by week progress following the regimen.

#4 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

Thank you both :)

I think I'll wait another week or so before starting it... mainly because the product I have has BHA as well and that it's not 'part of the regimen'

When can you say your skin is completely adjusted to BP? 

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#5 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me
  • Interests:Boxing, cycling, reading, learning to speak french (tres mal), public speaking, bush walking/hiking, chocolate - well actually food in general, and perfect skin.... gazing admiringly at people's perfect skin.

Achievements

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

I would say you're well enough adjusted to Bp to use aha when you no longer get intense redness to areas of your face and you no longer get an intense burning or itchy feeling after moisturizing. Dryness and flakiness is fine, plus a slight redness to your face overall is fine and its usually ok to start using aha.

After remaining clear for around 1.5 years following DKR (The Regimen), in March 2013 I decided to change to Epiduo.  I use a pea size amount of epiduo each night, followed by a layer of topical antibiotic (Eryacne). I also apply Eryacne every morning and moisturise twice a day. After switching to Epiduo from the regimen I found that it took a good 3 months to get back to being perfectly clear again and now I might get one small pimple appear per month.  I can live with that :)

I started following Dan's Regimen in September 2011 after suffering with acne for 20 years or so. I followed the Regimen instructions exactly and became 100% clear within 9-11 weeks. In December 2011 and after being consistently clear for over a month, I started to slowly reduce the amount of BP I used until I was only applying BP at night. My skin still remained clear however I sometimes switched to applying BP twice a day for a few days (perhaps once a month) if I felt a few under skin bumps starting to come up. I used acne.org products (including AHA and jojoba oil) and sometimes cetaphil moisturiser at night if I felt my skin was especially dry.  In the gallery I show my week by week progress following the regimen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users