Photo

Derm Visit, New Routine Again

derm dermatologist differin adapalene amoxicillin antibiotics moderate acne bacne body acne topical

2 replies to this topic

#1 pls

pls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me
  • Interests:i'm interested in having clear skin, hbu?

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

So i went to the derm today. A while back like maybe 7 months ago i was prescribed epiduo cream and doxycycline pills. The topical made me face red and raw and the oral made me throw up. This time i was prescribed Differin (adapalene) 0.1% cream and 500MG amoxicillin pills. The derm said to continue washing my face with my sulfur soap and that i can continue using benzoyl peroxide (Dan's)  in the morning. I'm supposed to use differin every night but she said i can reduce it to every other night, 2 nights, or 3 nights if i feel it dries my skin or irritates it to much. But she said don't stop using it completely. I'm supposed to take amoxicillin 2 times a day, morning and night. This one should not cause me to throw up, so thats good. She didnt mention any thing about sunscreen/moisturizer, but i know better and im going to continue using my olay sensitive skin spf 15 moisturizer. I am really happy because I mentioned is there any chance i can get on accutane? And she said maybe, but since the side effects can be severe we want to start you off with this first. It sounded like I have a chance of getting on Accutane. BUT as soon as my mom heard "severe side effects" she said oh no. I told her that they're only possible side effects, not guaranteed. The most things people get are dry lips, peeling skin, maybe body aches. And she stopped me right there and said "body aches? Oh hell no." She got mad at me bc i kept asking her if she would let me get on it. She said "the derm hasnt even prescribed it to you." So i feel like if she does prescribe it, eventually, then my mom will consider it. Now i have been researching amoxicillin and i havent found much. But i found that its usually not prescribed for ance bc its powerful and long term use can cause problems and resistance. So what do you think of this antibiotic? Do you think this routine will work for me? I am going to start the routine tmrw. Also, do i apply the differin to my entire face or just problem areas? Would taking each pill 12 hours a part be fine? Like if i take it at 7 in the morning should i take it around 7 pm, earlier, or later? But currently since im out of school, i wake up around 10. So if i take the pill at 11 am would it be ok to take it like around 6/7/8 pm? And does differin help with scarring? What exactly does it do?

Also do you have any tips on swallowing pills? These are some huge arse pills. I have a hard enough time taking my one a day teen vitamin, and these are slightly bigger than those. They came in a huge tall bottle. Just looking at them makes me nervous I'll choke. Ugh, taking them 2x a day is going to be a struggle but i will do my best to keep up.

Morning: Cleanse with Grisi sulfur soap, take amoxicillin, apply Dan's BP (maybe, if my skin can tolerate it, we'll see), Apply Olay sensitive skin moisturizer SPF 15

Night: Take amoxicillin, cleanse with sulfur soap, apply differin to face and back (after shower), apply garnier moisture rescue gel. QUESTION: What moisturizer would u recommend for night time that is not oily and thick? I feel like the garnier one might be a little too light, but i dont want something heavy. I want it in between, but a little on the light side. But not as light as the garnier gel. I like the formula of olay, so something like that just not with spf. and im not going to apply moisturizer to my back bc its going to be a hassle enough to just apply the differin and i dont feel like my back needs it bc tough skin.

And i also know to wait about 30 minutes after washing to apply the product so it can absorb better.

Ps I have EXTREMELY oily skin. You should look at the pics in my gallery.

and js, i do now all the side effects of accutane but i dont want my mom to know them bc she'll most likely say no. I know that taking accutane can be a serious risk, but im willing to take it. 

Thank you everyone!

Edited by DreamOfSerene, 24 July 2013 - 05:32 PM.

#2 bholber

bholber

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Basketball, skin care, my dog Baxter, and kind people.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Hi again DreamOfSerene,

I'm glad you got to see the derm and that she was open to accutane. The medications she prescribed you, however, may get you clear in a couple of months. Commit yourself to this regimen and if after 8 weeks or so you're still breakout out a lot, go back and explain that to the derm. 

On the difference between Differin and Epiduo:

Differin is the brand name of adapalene. Adapalene is a topical retinoid, which is the same class as Retin-A or tretinoin, but slightly different in chemical makeup. Topical retinoids clear acne by regulating your skin shedding cycle (the fancy term is desquamation normalization) and increasing skin cell turnover. This makes it harder for your pores to clog, thus preventing acne. When combined with an antibiotic and/or benzoyl peroxide, retinoids can be even more effective. 

Epiduo is Differin + Benzoyl Peroxide in one gel. The point being that if you get Epiduo, you won't have to apply an extra BPO treatment.

On applying Differin:

Yes, you should apply differin to your entire face, not just the problem areas. Squeeze a pea-sized amount on your fingers, and evenly rub it over your entire face, avoiding the corners of your nose and eyes, as well as right below your eyes. 

On swallowing pills:

Take a deep breath first (helps reduce gag reflex). Then try drinking a sip of water, popping the pill, and then chug a couple gulps to wash it all the way down.

For a moisturizer, Dan's is pretty good. I remember you have some jojoba oil so make sure to keep using that.

I hope this helps. Once again, give this medication your best shot. It could be exactly what you need to get clearer.  If so, you wouldn't have to deal with the side effects of accutane or the hassle of convincing your mom. 

Good luck!!!

#3 pls

pls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me
  • Interests:i'm interested in having clear skin, hbu?

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thank you so much bholber. I appreciate you taking the time to comment! Your post definitely helped. And i took my first pill this morning and it wasn't even a big deal ^.^ Thanks once again (: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users