Photo

Derm Visit, New Routine Again

derm dermatologist differin adapalene amoxicillin antibiotics moderate acne bacne body acne topical

2 replies to this topic

#1 pls

pls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

Edited by pls, 07 April 2015 - 06:10 PM.

#2 bholber

bholber

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Basketball, skin care, my dog Baxter, and kind people.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Hi again DreamOfSerene,

I'm glad you got to see the derm and that she was open to accutane. The medications she prescribed you, however, may get you clear in a couple of months. Commit yourself to this regimen and if after 8 weeks or so you're still breakout out a lot, go back and explain that to the derm. 

On the difference between Differin and Epiduo:

Differin is the brand name of adapalene. Adapalene is a topical retinoid, which is the same class as Retin-A or tretinoin, but slightly different in chemical makeup. Topical retinoids clear acne by regulating your skin shedding cycle (the fancy term is desquamation normalization) and increasing skin cell turnover. This makes it harder for your pores to clog, thus preventing acne. When combined with an antibiotic and/or benzoyl peroxide, retinoids can be even more effective. 

Epiduo is Differin + Benzoyl Peroxide in one gel. The point being that if you get Epiduo, you won't have to apply an extra BPO treatment.

On applying Differin:

Yes, you should apply differin to your entire face, not just the problem areas. Squeeze a pea-sized amount on your fingers, and evenly rub it over your entire face, avoiding the corners of your nose and eyes, as well as right below your eyes. 

On swallowing pills:

Take a deep breath first (helps reduce gag reflex). Then try drinking a sip of water, popping the pill, and then chug a couple gulps to wash it all the way down.

For a moisturizer, Dan's is pretty good. I remember you have some jojoba oil so make sure to keep using that.

I hope this helps. Once again, give this medication your best shot. It could be exactly what you need to get clearer.  If so, you wouldn't have to deal with the side effects of accutane or the hassle of convincing your mom. 

Good luck!!!

#3 pls

pls

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

Edited by pls, 07 April 2015 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users