Photo

Is There Any Chance The Derm Can Give Me Accutane? (I Want It)

accutane mild acne moderate acne scarring hyperpigmentation

8 replies to this topic

#1 bashfulfox

bashfulfox

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me
  • Interests:i'm interested in having clear skin, hbu?

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

Ok, so I am going to the derm tomorrow and I am a 13 yr old girl. I really want accutane because my skin is crazy extremely oily, its just ridiculous. And of course bc the acne on my face, back, shoulders, and upper arms. The thing is, the acne isnt severe, I would say its moderate. But i have many red marks which make it look horrible and severe. Yesterday, I broke out in about 5 red, hard papules and i already have a few more active blemishes already before that. It's not severe, but its persistent acne and i always have at least  2 blemishes on my face at any time. Now dont even get me started on my back.. Theres always a lot of small/medium bumps (and i think i have gotten a couple of cysts but im not sure) that scar and i have accepted the fact that i will never expose my back/upper arms in public. But i still dont want the scars accumulating on my face and back. I dont even pop the blemishes, they pop on their own and scar. I have done chetloads of research on accutane and i am very aware of the side effects. But i really want it! I have only been to the derm once before, and he gave me a topical which burned like hell and made my face red and raw (epiduo) and and antibiotic that made me throw up (doxycycline) I'm almost sure the derm is going to say of course not, ur too young for accutane and u dont even need it that bad. She'll probably give me another topical and antibiotic. But i dont want to be dependent on those things. With accutane, u take a course and are clear for life, or for a long time. But even if the acne does return, you just take another course and are clear for another long time (or atleast thats whats expected/i heard).Now I know that this drug doesnt work for everyone but all the success stories are making me feel hopeful and empowered. I do not expect the derm to agree on accutane right there in that appointment. Because i have only tried a handful of prescriptions from the doctor/derm and theres so many more for me to try. But how do i bring it up to her so that she knows that i want it. She is a new derm that i havent been to before. I switched my last derm bc he was so rude, and he didnt even tell me to wear suncreen with the epiduo so right away, i didnt trust him. And like i said before, even if a topical/antibiotic works for me, i dont want to be dependent on it. And i reaaaaaaaaally want to make my skin not so oily! Would you even recommend accutane for me? You should look at the pics in my gallery. I am feeling really bad about myself and i think i am mildy depressed. I am one of the only people at my school with acne. I kid you not. I dont wear makeup to school bc my skin is just so oily it doesnt work. And ppl would call me fake(yup, those are the kind of ppl i have at my school -.-)So imagine me going to school with out covering the all the scars on my face. I often find ppl staring at me at school or at the store. But i am going to wear makeup when i go back to school because the scarring is just ridiculous.. And how would i bring this up to my mom? I havent told her i want accutane yet. Im also pretty sure she will say no bc of all the side effects. shes very over protective. She'll probably have a shit attack if i told her all the severe side effects. But i really have my heart set on it and i know if she says no I'll start crying right in front of her.. It's happened before over other things. I want to convince her to let me take it even if I don't know if the derm is going to let me yet just to be sure. I feel like its pretty hopeless, but i still want to try to convince my derm and mom bc i have my heart set on it. Thanks everyone, I don't think im stupid to want this drug at a young age even with out sever acne. I'm just tired of this struggle.

#2 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me
  • Interests:Singing, hiking, art, music, piano, feminism, blogging, veganism, loving my pets, learning to love myself and be happy :)

Achievements

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

I think you have a pretty good chance of being prescribed Accutane, but it all depends on the dermatologist. You're right that there is a chance you will have to try other antibiotics/creams first, but when you go in, I would bring it up right away so that she knows. Just explain to her why you want to try it and how your skin makes you feel. Being open is the key. You are obviously a very pretty girl, but I know how you feel, I really do. I had the absolute OILIEST skin ever before I went of Accutane. Your acne is really not bad, but I know how uncomfortable oily skin is. Just try and hang in there until you get it prescribed. A lot of people are going to tell you not to take it, but if this is really want you want, I say do want you feel is right. Just make sure to listen to body very carefully while on it. As long as you are aware of the side effects, I think you'll be okay. Also, wear makeup if you feel it will be helpful to you/ make you more comfortable, but please please please, do not become dependent on it like me! I wish the best to you, and if you have an questions, feel free to message me. :)

#3 kylenea

kylenea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:spying, photography, voyeurism, beauty

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

I read a lot of information about how taking Accutane at such a young age can seriously cause harm! It may stunt growth, amongst a host of other problems! You could get bone aches and hair loss. In my opinion, hair loss is much worse than acne. 

Did you know Accutane was used for people with cancer?

Read the "Accutante Survivor" post before you ask for it!

You're so young! Your hormones may balance and your skin may become flawless, even better than all those other girls at your school!

Good luck honey. And please, try less drastic measures first!

#4 mbbento

mbbento

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

I went "doctor shopping" till I found one that would prescribe it to me.  

#5 kylenea

kylenea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:spying, photography, voyeurism, beauty

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

I don't think a 13-year-old girl is going doctor shopping anytime soon, bro. But great advice for a 13-year-old! I hope you have children someday!

To the poster: Keep us updated! Looked at your pics! You're pretty!

#6 bashfulfox

bashfulfox

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

@kylenea I actually have a new post. The derm gave me Differin and amoxicillin (: and omg thank you, but i can't see myself that way:/ not so sound like an attention whore 

Edited by DreamOfSerene, 25 July 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#7 ls206816

ls206816

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, Running, Having clear skin (: Lana Del Rey.

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

Its sounds like there's a chance she will. I'm on it and my acne wasn't severe either, but there was a lot of it and it was very persistent. Just tell your dermatologist your reasons and how it makes you feel, also tell your mom how it makes you feel. She will end up knowing the possible side effects anyway because your dermatologist will tell you about them and they will give her some booklets about it that she has to sign a contract type thing saying she's okay with you being on Accutane and knows the side effects. But honestly most people don't get any side effects, I never had any, the people I know who have taken it don't have any side effects, and the side effects that people get usually are very mild and not life changing/threatening. Your dermatologist will probably have you go on one or two more antibiotics first though. Also while you are waiting maybe give Hibiclens a try, its a wash that kills bacteria for 12hrs, so you have to wash your face with it every 12hrs, and it says not to use it on your face, but it was prescribed to me by my dermatologist! Just don't get it in your eyes and mouth! But it works pretty well. You can buy it at and drugstore, target, walmart, etc. for around $6. And if your scared to use it on your face just use it on your body! Good luck!

#8 bashfulfox

bashfulfox

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

So its about 6 months later, and im looking through my previous topics. When i had asked the derm about accutane i said "What about accutane?" And she said that it is administered here (kaiser permanente) but she'd rather me try other things since the side effects can be severe. I didnt say anything else after that. I talked to my mom about it and after she found out the side effects she was like "hell no." judging from her reaction, i dont think i can change her mind unless i end up breaking out in severe cystic acne or something drastic like that. Accutane seems like a lost cause for me and im really bummed :/ The routiine of differin and that antibiotic didnt end up working. differin made my skin even more oiler, if that was even possible?? I cant stand it, like i really cannot express how gross i feel with all this oil. So i stopped using differin, but my skin has not gone back to how it was before. And my mom told me to stop takin the antibiotic because of yeast??  I have another derm appointment on Jan 27. Im nervous because i remember her telling me if differin irritates my skin to use it only like 2x a week or less but not the stop using it completely (which i did). Wish me luck :/

#9 goirish

goirish

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

We all know the endless topical struggles. The key is to talk to your doctor in depth about the realistic chances of debilitating effects. I'm sure you and your mom will realize how truly over-hyped the accutane stigma is. One doctor scared me away by telling me that it commonly causes suicide, liver failure, and even chrones disease, them I visited a new doctor. It was night and day. The new doctor explained how she has prescribed accutane thousands of times and never has she witnessed these permanent problems. She also said most doctors shy away from accutane because of the hassle it causes them to sign up with iPledge. Especially with girls. Accurate was a great decision for me as well as about seven people I know, none of whom would change their minds.

If this doctor is still against it, just let him know that you have tried all other options, and that you feel it is time to give it a try. Trust me, if the doctor is on board, your mom will too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users