Looking At Your Skin Really Close

38 replies to this topic

#1 spartan32

spartan32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

For the past few years, I have used what my skin looks like 2 inches from the mirror as a measuring stick.  What I have seen and still see are many scarred pores, a few boxcar scars, some icepicks, and some hyperpigmentation.  When I look at it from a foot and a half or 2 away from the mirror, it actually looks pretty damm good.  The problem is in my head, I feel like everyone still gets the few inches view that makes my skin look really bad.

Does anyone else scrutinize their face really close up like that?  

#2 kernel.panic

kernel.panic

I feel like a prized asshole, no one even mentions my casserole

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Oh yeah.  All the time.  I try and just wash my face and get the hell out, but then I start looking at all the little blackheads and bumps.  I prefer terribly lit bathrooms for this reason.

#3 spartan32

spartan32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Oh yeah.  All the time.  I try and just wash my face and get the hell out, but then I start looking at all the little blackheads and bumps.  I prefer terribly lit bathrooms for this reason.

I usually try and do that and get out as soon as possible.  I realize that not looking at my face at all eases my anxiety a ton. 

#4 carambola

carambola

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

I try not to because I have trouble leaving things alone, and that's how I used to end up squeezing everything and turning mere blackheads into large, painful zits.  I don't even turn the bathroom light on.

My skin has seemed to age very rapidly and obviously in the past couple of years, but people somehow occasionally still think I might be a minor (I'm 28), so that reminds me that others probably don't see everything I do.  I know I have some degree of acne scarring, too, but my mom has commented on how my skin "isn't even all scarred up."

Edited by carambola, 22 July 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#5 umaid619

umaid619

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

yea sometimes makes it look so much worse...partly because I only focus on the scars/blackheads and not the entire face, probably why it makes it look a lot worse then it actually is, i tend not do it as often, as i'm also very picky, so whatever i see i don't like i will definitely mess with it...

#6 spartan32

spartan32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

My thinking is so distorted these days.  In my mind, I feel like every person that I come in contact with just goes straight to analyzing my skin, looking for pimples, scars, and redmarks and after taking inventory of it all, will finally notice the rest of my face.  In reality, this couldn't be farther than the truth but why does it feel like its true?

#7 TheFearlessFace

TheFearlessFace

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

I do it too but I've gotten a lot better. It's totally psychological- it's not about the skin at all. I used to pick a lot and I had to look at why I was doing it. Because I wanted great skin, and I saw each clogged pore as an obstacle getting in my way of that achievement. So if I got it out, I would have clear skin, right? Wrong. Of course it makes it worse. So much of the acne I've experienced in my life has been self inflicted. If I go camping or am in a situation where I can't pick or squeeze, my skin improves greatly. You've got to love and accept yourself as you are, including all the little imperfections and flaws that you may see. Nobody is perfect.

Dimly lit bathrooms help too. :)

#8 elliew8

elliew8

Adventure is out there!

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:33 AM

ah I do this all the time...feel like mirrors should have a WARNING WARNING alarm if I get too close to them because it's just not the reality that everyone else sees. Compacts are the worst though, I always look in the magnified side and feel depressed, but even when I flip it onto the normal zoom mirror I still zero in on the little stuff :( I've actually taken the bulb out of the light above my bathroom mirror and it's really broken the habitual side of picking for me...I'll still pick in other mirrors from time to time but it's not such a daily routine now

#9 Tban0117

Tban0117

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

Totally me! It's a trip how I can't look at myself in the mirror up close anymore. Actually if there's a bright light anywhere near a mirror I can't look at myself. I hate that but it's a security blanket my mind has made me do to feel better about my skin. I use my phone screen (in dimmed lights) as my mirror everyday to apply my makeup. I can see clearly but I still feel like a freak for doing that. In all honesty though, until my "on and off 6 years and struggling" battle with acne continues, I think this is best. Otherwise I see every cloged pore, every zit/pimple/pustule, every tiny scar... I begin to #1 pick very thing until I'm satisfied it's cleaned up, then #2 I sometimes will get a panic attack thinking how damaged I think my skin looks.
Long story short, I avoid mirrors in lighting because I don't want to make things worse. We're not alone guys. Hopefully one day this bullshit ends and we can have our lives back.

#10 kevindreed

kevindreed

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have that but not that I don't have pimples scars don't mean anything to me.

Use this regimen 2 pumps of bp and 2 pumps of cetaphil moisturizer mixed with 30 drops of jojoba oil. Use CVS oilpads to wipe away shine. Your breakouts will stop immediately and within 2 weeks all existing pimples will be gone.

#11 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

Yep I do it all the time unfortunately. I try not to because it gets me down. I sincerely hope other people don't scrutinize every inch of my face like I do, but sometimes I get really self-conscious when people stare and it makes me feel like I'm under a magnifying glass. What messes with my head are those dimly lit bathrooms in restaurants that make everyone's complexion look flawless... but then again, harsh lighting isn't realistic either. 

#12 Bodie81

Bodie81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:15 PM

I have done this in the past and would spend hour upon hour examining myself from inches away in the mirror. The problem with doing that is that you see yourself in a totally unrealistic light and every flaw or blemish is magnified tenfold. No one else sees you like that or studies you to that degree.

I still get the urge to look in the mirror frequently but recently I`ve tried to limit the occasions that I look in the mirror to 3-5 times per day maximum. It does help.

#13 snsdgirl14

snsdgirl14

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

I do this a lot...I look up close at my pores especially, because I have somewhat big pores. I get so grossed out at my skin and everything I see. But then when I look at from it a normal distance, it looks good, so...

It's really all psychological. Everyday people are never that close to your face. 

#14 MissMysterious

MissMysterious

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

All the time. I feel like the more I look at my skin, the worse it looks to me. My bathroom lighting is horrible. Brighter than day. Every flaw is noticeable. Then there's a dimmer light I can just have on. Which I prefer much more...

#15 goodz19

goodz19

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Im screwed in the bathroom.  The lighting is incredibly bright, even tho I changed the wattage to a lower bulb.  Every teeney tiny thing is noticeable to me.  I see every clogged pore, every blackhead, every broken capillary, every scar, not to mention the acne that is visible even from a normal distance. 

So then I turn off the bright light and am left with only the light that goes on w/ my shower exhaust fan and that light is so dim, it shows every divot, every scar, every bump.  Its a horrible situation.  But i cant seem to get myself outta there to ease my anxiety.

Currently, Im a physchological mess because of this.

#16 moodymoody

moodymoody

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

I always do it, always scrutinize my skin in the mirror all the time, it makes me feel better to check my skin hour to hourr. So I know what changed with,,
But for a long term, I feel that this behavior wasn't right.
Sometimes I think am I going crazy bout acnes even????(LOL~ but its dam* truee!it really happening,, Feel ashamed bout it ~)
Then I start to reducing my time with mirror to avoid a stupidd tickle feelin bout "being crazy" :D,, and it gets better now,a little. However I realized that i should 'wake up', really, its not Good.........

#17 Lynn8808

Lynn8808

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Music, psychology, behavioral science, volunteering. Mainly, obtaining clear skin.

Achievements

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

I have't dared to go less then a foot away from the mirror in a VERY long time. Nor do I allow anyone else to. I don't even like to kiss people now. 

#18 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

You is Smart. You is Kind. You is important.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Equestrian
    Softball
    Singing
    Reading

Achievements

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:36 PM

The scrutinizing definitely gets the better of me as well. I hate how everything looks 1000x bigger when you're about three inches from the mirror. I also find that I focus on the spots on my face that I know are "broken out" or scarred. Therefore I'm not getting an accurate picture of what my face actually looks like. It's such a mind trip. I usually avoid mirrors/reflective surfaces at all costs. I don't even turn on the lights in the bathroom, except when I'm applying my zit cream in the morning and night. Whenever I see my reflection it usually triggers an anxiety attack :( Unfortunately the anxiety doesn't really stay away regardless of whether I see my reflection or not. 

I have't dared to go less then a foot away from the mirror in a VERY long time. Nor do I allow anyone else to. I don't even like to kiss people now. 

On the bright side (in reference to kissing people) anyone who kisses with their eyes open is totally doing it wrong... So you don't want to be kissing them anyways :P I would say that the majority of the population kisses with their eyes closed, so I wouldn't worry! By the way, does the foot away trick really work? Do things really look better a foot away?

#19 Spotthedifference

Spotthedifference

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 42
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, running, creative projects, the sims games

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

I used to look in magnifying mirrors at least 10 times a day. Caused stress and picking.

Hide the mirrors unless absolutely necessary people. No good ever came of staring at one's own face for too long.

#20 Rosalie324

Rosalie324

You is Smart. You is Kind. You is important.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Equestrian
    Softball
    Singing
    Reading

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

I used to look in magnifying mirrors at least 10 times a day. Caused stress and picking.

Hide the mirrors unless absolutely necessary people. No good ever came of staring at one's own face for too long.

Amen!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users