Photo

Has Anyone Else Got To The Stage Of Not Leaving The House?

recluse severe cystic acne never leave the house no social life miserable painful cysts treatment incredibly slow

74 replies to this topic

#41 Bodie81

Bodie81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Sorry MoonlightRiver!

BDD is an abbreviation for body dysmorphic disorder - an anxiety disorder where the sufferer spends a lot of time worrying about their appearance and has a distorted view of how they look. It is usually focused on a minor flaw like a small scar for example or it could be an entirely imaginary flaw and it can be on any part of the body. In both cases, the sufferer is convinced that the flaw is abnormal and believes they are ugly or defective.

Acne dysmorphia is a related condition where the focus of anxiety is related to the skin and the condition of skin. Very often, the sufferer has mild acne or no acne at all but they still believe that their condition is severe and that they are repulsive and ugly.

If you want to know more,there are probably plenty of people on these forums who could explain both conditions better than I have. Alternatively, below is a wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia....orphic_disorder

I`ve never been officially "diagnosed" but my CBT therapist thinks but I have traits of both conditions. I would have to agree.

By the way, hope you don`t think that I was trying to imply that you have either of these.

Thank you for explaining! And for the wiki link. I've never heard of either of those conditions before but it made interesting, if kind of unpleasant, reading. 

From my experience I'd guess that acne sufferers in general get a lot of those symptoms anyway. Presumably the difference between standard acne-related obsessive/depressive/anxiety symptoms and acne dysmorphia is the actual presence of moderate/severe acne then? Shame the only treatment for those symptoms in people with real bad acne is to get rid of the acne seeing as that seems to be so very difficult to do! I think I'd rather it were all or mostly in my head...

It`s hard to quantify but I think you are correct.

People who have moderate/severe acne and are distressed over their skin wouldn`t have acne dysmorphia in my opinion as they are not necessarily exaggerating their condition.

However, people who have relatively mild or no acne but think that it is far more severe than it really is could possibly be acne dysmorphic - especially if they obsess over it all the time and let it interfere with their day to day life. If I`m honest, that`s me in a nutshell.

The wiki link isn`t pleasant reading - sorry about that!

#42 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

Sorry MoonlightRiver!

BDD is an abbreviation for body dysmorphic disorder - an anxiety disorder where the sufferer spends a lot of time worrying about their appearance and has a distorted view of how they look. It is usually focused on a minor flaw like a small scar for example or it could be an entirely imaginary flaw and it can be on any part of the body. In both cases, the sufferer is convinced that the flaw is abnormal and believes they are ugly or defective.

Acne dysmorphia is a related condition where the focus of anxiety is related to the skin and the condition of skin. Very often, the sufferer has mild acne or no acne at all but they still believe that their condition is severe and that they are repulsive and ugly.

If you want to know more,there are probably plenty of people on these forums who could explain both conditions better than I have. Alternatively, below is a wikipedia link:

I`ve never been officially "diagnosed" but my CBT therapist thinks but I have traits of both conditions. I would have to agree.

By the way, hope you don`t think that I was trying to imply that you have either of these.

Thank you for explaining! And for the wiki link. I've never heard of either of those conditions before but it made interesting, if kind of unpleasant, reading. 

From my experience I'd guess that acne sufferers in general get a lot of those symptoms anyway. Presumably the difference between standard acne-related obsessive/depressive/anxiety symptoms and acne dysmorphia is the actual presence of moderate/severe acne then? Shame the only treatment for those symptoms in people with real bad acne is to get rid of the acne seeing as that seems to be so very difficult to do! I think I'd rather it were all or mostly in my head...

People who have moderate/severe acne and are distressed over their skin wouldn`t have acne dysmorphia in my opinion as they are not necessarily exaggerating their condition.

However, people who have relatively mild or no acne but think that it is far more severe than it really is could possibly be acne dysmorphic - especially if they obsess over it all the time and let it interfere with their day to day life. If I`m honest, that`s me in a nutshell.

Ah right I get it, although it sounds like a bit of a fine line to me as it must be very difficult to gauge how far a person is or isn't exaggerating the severity of their own condition. Different people often experience different levels of distress from the same stimulus, though I guess they just have to draw the line somewhere for diagnostic and treatment purposes. 

If someone's really acne dysmorphic I suppose at least they know it's then a case of changing their thinking rather than changing their physicality so they can begin to target the problem more head on. Obviously changing the way you think isn't easy - heck, it's one of the hardest things in the world! - but I still think it means there's a lot of hope of effectively improving your life! :)

Edited by MoonlitRiver, 07 August 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#43 Bodie81

Bodie81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Sorry MoonlightRiver!

Ah right I get it, although it sounds like a bit of a fine line to me as it must be very difficult to gauge how far a person is or isn't exaggerating the severity of their own condition. Different people often experience different levels of distress from the same stimulus, though I guess they just have to draw the line somewhere for diagnostic and treatment purposes. 

If someone's really acne dysmorphic I suppose at least they know it's then a case of changing their thinking rather than changing their physicality so they can begin to target the problem more head on. Obviously changing the way you think isn't easy - heck, it's one of the hardest things in the world! - but I still think it means there's a lot of hope of effectively improving your life! smile.png

When you say that changing your way of thinking is one of the hardest things in the world, you are soooo correct!

You`ve probably guessed by now that I`m completely obsessed by all things acne/acne related. By my own admission, over the years I have scoured by internet in the search for more information (it`s how I came across acne.org haha!) Anyway, when I first heard the term acne dysmorphia, I came across an article about a girl who had/has acne dysmorphia. She was in quite a bad way but appears to have come to terms with herself to an extent now. Here is the link:

http://www.highonhea...ear-complexion/

Just to warn you, the article is quite distressing in parts so if you think it may upset you reading this, PLEASE don`t click on the link.

#44 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:35 AM

I was thinking that your skin looks quite similar to mine from the photo in your Epiduo thread (although my redness has faded because my skin is pretty much used to the BP now).

I hope you do decide to go through with meeting this friend. I think it will be good for you! Do whatever else you can to boost confidence or make you feel better about yourself / appearance - like a little makeup if you want or wearing clothes that you like etc - I find that helps me sometimes (dressing up a bit or just feeling good about what I'm wearing). Sounds a bit weird but it helps me a bit.

Sorry MoonlightRiver!

Just curious - do you know if someone can still have acne dysmorphic disorder if their acne isn't mild and is more moderate / severe? Like if you obviously have an issue with acne (it's not 'imagined' or mild) and have a lot of anxiety or depression associated with acne? Or could that just be more BDD?

From what I've head and read I do think I have aspects of one or both... and like I mentioned a while ago, I probably should see a professional about it but I struggle to talk about this sort of stuff with anyone face to face... I don't know how I'd manage to talk about this 'deep' stuff with a stranger. I also feel like I know a lot of the logic behind why people react like this and the ways to combat it.... I obviously don't know everything but I sort of wonder how helpful it would be anyway... maybe that's just me talking myself out of it though... (sorry this turned into me rambling a bit).

#45 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

Sorry MoonlightRiver!

If someone's really acne dysmorphic I suppose at least they know it's then a case of changing their thinking rather than changing their physicality so they can begin to target the problem more head on. Obviously changing the way you think isn't easy - heck, it's one of the hardest things in the world! - but I still think it means there's a lot of hope of effectively improving your life! smile.png

When you say that changing your way of thinking is one of the hardest things in the world, you are soooo correct!

You`ve probably guessed by now that I`m completely obsessed by all things acne/acne related. By my own admission, over the years I have scoured by internet in the search for more information (it`s how I came across acne.org haha!) Anyway, when I first heard the term acne dysmorphia, I came across an article about a girl who had/has acne dysmorphia. She was in quite a bad way but appears to have come to terms with herself to an extent now. Here is the link:

http://www.highonhea...ear-complexion/

Just to warn you, the article is quite distressing in parts so if you think it may upset you reading this, PLEASE don`t click on the link.

Oh believe me I know! I have depression and am currently dependent on drugs to change my own thinking so I'd never suggest to anyone else that is was easy. Ha, I'm so ashamed of it that I've only ever admitted that to one other living person so I've absolutely no idea why I'm writing it on some anonymous internet forum... But hey, I'm sure you guys probably won't judge me too badly for it! 

Anyway, it means I'm not easily upset when it comes to reading things like that article, although it did hit a bit too close to home for comfort and was quite a sad read. I'm glad she's getting some proper help and on her way to conquering this illness now! I can relate to the vast majority of the symptoms from the wiki link (I am totally and utterly obsessed with the state of my skin) but the only difference is that I actually do have pretty horrific acne. (My GP said it was cystic when she saw me 3 weeks ago and referred me to a dermatologist so I presume she wouldn't say that for no reason. I'm not under any delusions, I know the three treatments I'm on have now reduced it to what I think would now be termed "moderate" and I'm very grateful for that! It just hasn't made me any less self-conscious about it...) I guess the only thing you can do to combat the psychological symptoms then is to go to a dermatologist and treat the root cause, which I'm already going to be doing in the NHS's good time. smile.png

Thanks for sharing the link though, it was a sad but interesting read.

I was thinking that your skin looks quite similar to mine from the photo in your Epiduo thread (although my redness has faded because my skin is pretty much used to the BP now).

I hope you do decide to go through with meeting this friend. I think it will be good for you! Do whatever else you can to boost confidence or make you feel better about yourself / appearance - like a little makeup if you want or wearing clothes that you like etc - I find that helps me sometimes (dressing up a bit or just feeling good about what I'm wearing). Sounds a bit weird but it helps me a bit.

Sorry MoonlightRiver!

Just curious - do you know if someone can still have acne dysmorphic disorder if their acne isn't mild and is more moderate / severe? Like if you obviously have an issue with acne (it's not 'imagined' or mild) and have a lot of anxiety or depression associated with acne? Or could that just be more BDD?

From what I've head and read I do think I have aspects of one or both... and like I mentioned a while ago, I probably should see a professional about it but I struggle to talk about this sort of stuff with anyone face to face... I don't know how I'd manage to talk about this 'deep' stuff with a stranger. I also feel like I know a lot of the logic behind why people react like this and the ways to combat it.... I obviously don't know everything but I sort of wonder how helpful it would be anyway... maybe that's just me talking myself out of it though... (sorry this turned into me rambling a bit).

Thanks Lilly. Like I said to GUNNKE yesterday that photo shows the "best" bit of my face but it's still nice to know that you guys don't think it looks too horrific! I guess that means the treatments really must be improving it smile.png

I will definitely be wearing a good deal of make-up but I will also take your advice about wearing some of my favourite clothes to see if that can boost my confidence a bit. I'm really really worried about it but hopefully it will go better than I expect! I'll keep you posted! (Assuming that you're remotely interested haha!)

I know the bottom bit of your comment wasn't aimed at me but I would say that if you can make yourself talk face-to-face with someone professional about your feelings then you should consider doing so. I've been trying to make myself for years and have read every depression/social anxiety self-help leaflet on the internet plus numerous books and an online CBT programme and I still haven't been able to successfully apply these principles to myself and help myself move forward in any way. I think when it gets to a certain stage you really need some kind of external help because you get so set in your way of thinking that you need someone else to tell you which of your thoughts have become distorted and how. Otherwise you end up failing to "fix" the most important bits of your problem because you don't even realise that those bits are wrong in the first place if you see what I mean. Sorry I don't really know how to word that more coherently but I hope it makes some sense to you! Obviously it's completely up to you whether or not you think it's the right thing to do at this point in time smile.png

Edited by MoonlitRiver, 08 August 2013 - 04:00 AM.

#46 Bodie81

Bodie81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Sorry MoonlightRiver!

Lily75 as I explained to Moonlit River, I think people who have mild acne or no acne and exaggerate their condition are more likely to be acne dysmorphic than people who have moderate/severe acne. However, I do think that someone with moderate/severe acne could possibly also be acne dysmorphic if they spend their whole life obsessing over their acne, are affected mentally and isolate themselves socially. It`s a hard thing to gauge though.

Acne dysmorphia and BDD are closely related in my opinion .BDD can be anything anywhere on the body whereas acne dysmorphia is an obsession with the condition of the skin. In both conditions the sufferer has a distorted view of their appearance and convince themselves that minor or imaginary flaws make them repulsive/hideous/ugly so both conditions are pretty much interlinked.

In terms of having some form of therapy, I can only speak for myself but I am having CBT at the moment and I find it really helpful. The hardest thing was opening up initially but after a couple of sessions, I managed to develop a relationship with my therapist where I felt comfortable enough to divulge all of my innermost feelings.

I wouldn`t dream of telling you what to do but if you find that having acne is affecting you to such a degree that it is impacting on your mental health and your quality of life in general, having some form of counselling/therapy is definitely worth considering. There is a bit of stigma attached (only two real-life people know that I have CBT) but the way I see it, it is not a weakness to admit that you need help. However, as I think Moonlit River said, it has to feel comfortable and be the right time for you and only you can decide that.

Hope this helps a bit and doesn`t come across as being total waffle! It`s hard to know what to say.

Edited by GUNNKE, 08 August 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#47 Bodie81

Bodie81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Oh believe me I know! I have depression and am currently dependent on drugs to change my own thinking so I'd never suggest to anyone else that is was easy. Ha, I'm so ashamed of it that I've only ever admitted that to one other living person so I've absolutely no idea why I'm writing it on some anonymous internet forum... But hey, I'm sure you guys probably won't judge me too badly for it! 

Anyway, it means I'm not easily upset when it comes to reading things like that article, although it did hit a bit too close to home for comfort and was quite a sad read. I'm glad she's getting some proper help and on her way to conquering this illness now! I can relate to the vast majority of the symptoms from the wiki link (I am totally and utterly obsessed with the state of my skin) but the only difference is that I actually do have pretty horrific acne. (My GP said it was cystic when she saw me 3 weeks ago and referred me to a dermatologist so I presume she wouldn't say that for no reason. I'm not under any delusions, I know the three treatments I'm on have now reduced it to what I think would now be termed "moderate" and I'm very grateful for that! It just hasn't made me any less self-conscious about it...) I guess the only thing you can do to combat the psychological symptoms then is to go to a dermatologist and treat the root cause, which I'm already going to be doing in the NHS's good time. smile.png

Thanks for sharing the link though, it was a sad but interesting read.

Moonlit River, I`ve not quoted the whole discussion as I was starting to lose track of all the quotes (my old age lol) . I`ve just copied and pasted your last reply.

There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of admitting that you have depression and are dependent on drugs. I don`t take them currently but I have taken anti-d`s in the past myself so I certainly wouldn`t judge you in a negative light because of it.

You appear to be doing everything in your power to control your acne in terms of treatment and that is brilliant. However, hope you don`t mind me saying this but don`t totally neglect the psychological side - it`s a mistake that I have made in the past. When I had really bad cystic acne in my teens and early twenties, I focused everything on clearing up my acne thinking my life would get better once it cleared up. It has never been 100% clear but it has gotten a lot better in recent years. However, because I didn`t work on my self-esteem and self-worth for all those years, even though the acne got better, I was still left with a lot of the hang-ups and anxieties that I had when my acne was at it`s worst. This is why I`m having CBT at the ripe old age of 40.

By the way, if you did decide to go ahead and meet-up with your friend, hope you had a good time!

#48 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

Moonlit River, I`ve not quoted the whole discussion as I was starting to lose track of all the quotes (my old age lol) . I`ve just copied and pasted your last reply.

There is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of admitting that you have depression and are dependent on drugs. I don`t take them currently but I have taken anti-d`s in the past myself so I certainly wouldn`t judge you in a negative light because of it.

You appear to be doing everything in your power to control your acne in terms of treatment and that is brilliant. However, hope you don`t mind me saying this but don`t totally neglect the psychological side - it`s a mistake that I have made in the past. When I had really bad cystic acne in my teens and early twenties, I focused everything on clearing up my acne thinking my life would get better once it cleared up. It has never been 100% clear but it has gotten a lot better in recent years. However, because I didn`t work on my self-esteem and self-worth for all those years, even though the acne got better, I was still left with a lot of the hang-ups and anxieties that I had when my acne was at it`s worst. This is why I`m having CBT at the ripe old age of 40.

By the way, if you did decide to go ahead and meet-up with your friend, hope you had a good time!

Thanks GUNNKE smile.png I don't really know why I'm ashamed of it but I am so there we go. I guess it just feels pretty pathetic to admit that you can't actually cope with the state of your own mind or control your own thoughts properly without the input of drugs if you know what I mean. Nice that it doesn't bother you though! 

I am trying so hard to tackle my acne at the moment so I really really hope it works out this time! I know I have some serious issues to tackle on the psychological side as well but I don't really know how to go about it. The anti-depressants brought me back from the absolute brink but now I don't really know what to do next to be honest. They seem to kind of numb down the crushing emotional side of it but the thoughts, poor self-esteem (still bordering on self-hatred), sleep problems, anxiety etc. are still there if you get what I mean. Like I said to Lilly, I've been through every self-help resource imaginable for depression and social anxiety and none of them have really helped. The social anxiety's better than it was since taking the drugs but it's still too bad for me to really contemplate opening up about my feelings to a stranger (not face-to-face anyway) so I suppose for the moment it's just a case of hanging on in there until things get better...

On a lighter note, I did go through with it and meet up with my friend today and I can honestly say that I had a really fun afternoon! I pleasantly surprised myself and was pleased I went in the end smile.png

Edit: Also I just realised this quote of yours sounds far too much like me: "I do think that someone with moderate/severe acne could possibly also be acne dysmorphic if they spend their whole life obsessing over their acne, are affected mentally and isolate themselves socially." Was I wrong in thinking that it's only acne dysmorphia if the acne is mild or non-existent then? (Sorry if it sounds like I'm quizzing you, I'm just trying to understand is all...)

Edited by MoonlitRiver, 08 August 2013 - 01:09 PM.

#49 Bodie81

Bodie81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thanks GUNNKE smile.png I don't really know why I'm ashamed of it but I am so there we go. I guess it just feels pretty pathetic to admit that you can't actually cope with the state of your own mind or control your own thoughts properly without the input of drugs if you know what I mean. Nice that it doesn't bother you though! 

I am trying so hard to tackle my acne at the moment so I really really hope it works out this time! I know I have some serious issues to tackle on the psychological side as well but I don't really know how to go about it. The anti-depressants brought me back from the absolute brink but now I don't really know what to do next to be honest. They seem to kind of numb down the crushing emotional side of it but the thoughts, poor self-esteem (still bordering on self-hatred), sleep problems, anxiety etc. are still there if you get what I mean. Like I said to Lilly, I've been through every self-help resource imaginable for depression and social anxiety and none of them have really helped. The social anxiety's better than it was since taking the drugs but it's still too bad for me to really contemplate opening up about my feelings to a stranger (not face-to-face anyway) so I suppose for the moment it's just a case of hanging on in there until things get better...

On a lighter note, I did go through with it and meet up with my friend today and I can honestly say that I had a really fun afternoon! I pleasantly surprised myself and was pleased I went in the end smile.png

Edit: Also I just realised this quote of yours sounds far too much like me: "I do think that someone with moderate/severe acne could possibly also be acne dysmorphic if they spend their whole life obsessing over their acne, are affected mentally and isolate themselves socially." Was I wrong in thinking that it's only acne dysmorphia if the acne is mild or non-existent then? (Sorry if it sounds like I'm quizzing you, I'm just trying to understand is all...)

Moonlit River, I`m really sorry for ever bringing up the subject of BDD/acne dysmorphia. I`m worried that you are going to obsess yourself over it and it will be down to me.

It could well be that you have some of the characteristics and traits associated with acne dysmorphia but I`m not an expert or a medical professional. I`m just someone who has read up a little bit on the subject and come across the term acne dysmorphia during the course of their CBT. You can take what I say with a pinch of salt because I`m not qualified to make an assessment.

It does not change your situation at all. You have taken a really positive step today and you should be congratulating yourself on that. I know how hard it must have been to meet up with your friend today. However, you did it and that is what you should be focusing on - not a little known psychological condition that some random bloke on an internet forum has told you about.

#50 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

Moonlit River, I`m really sorry for ever bringing up the subject of BDD/acne dysmorphia. I`m worried that you are going to obsess yourself over it and it will be down to me.

It could well be that you have some of the characteristics and traits associated with acne dysmorphia but I`m not an expert or a medical professional. I`m just someone who has read up a little bit on the subject and come across the term acne dysmorphia during the course of their CBT. You can take what I say with a pinch of salt because I`m not qualified to make an assessment.

It does not change your situation at all. You have taken a really positive step today and you should be congratulating yourself on that. I know how hard it must have been to meet up with your friend today. However, you did it and that is what you should be focusing on - not a little known psychological condition that some random bloke on an internet forum has told you about.

Sorry GUNNKE I didn't mean to freak you out and I should never have outpoured at you like that either. That was my mistake so please forgive me for it. And sorry for quizzing you about the acne dysmorphia, I was just interested is all. 

Thanks for the encouragement about going out. It's nice to know there's at least one other living person out there who understands what a big step it was for me so thank you for that.

#51 Bodie81

Bodie81

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Sorry GUNNKE I didn't mean to freak you out and I should never have outpoured at you like that either. That was my mistake so please forgive me for it. And sorry for quizzing you about the acne dysmorphia, I was just interested is all. 

Thanks for the encouragement about going out. It's nice to know there's at least one other living person out there who understands what a big step it was for me so thank you for that.

Thanks Moonlit River.

And yes, I can totally understand what a big step it was for you today - you should be proud of yourself.

All the best!

Edit:

I`ll try to keep this brief but just thought I would say this so whole the am I, aren`t I acne dysmorphic thingy can be put to bed.

During the course of my CBT, the subject of acne dysmorphia has been brought up because of my beliefs about myself and my consequent behaviours.

In my case, I often believe that acne type blemishes make me repulsive, hideous and ugly. As a result of these beliefs, I have indulged in behaviours such as mirror checking, seeking reassurance from others on the state of my skin,obsessing over my diet and cleansing routine, camouflaging certain parts of my body (I never wear shorts or sunbathe), avoiding social situations and generally obsessing over anything related to the condition of my skin.

If all of this makes me acne dysmorphic then so be it. At the end of the day, it is only a label to categorize me with and it is not important. What is much more important is to work on my behaviours and my way of thinking so that I can "challenge" those core beliefs that I have about myself.

I have used myself as an example just to highlight to you Moonlit River and anyone else who reads this that even if you are acne dysmorphic, it is not important. As I said, it is just a neat label to categorize you with and doesn`t change anything. It`s what you do to change your behaviours and way of thinking so that you can challenge the beliefs that you have about yourself that is far more important.

Hope you get the point that I`m trying to make.

Edited by GUNNKE, 08 August 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#52 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Thanks Moonlit River.

And yes, I can totally understand what a big step it was for you today - you should be proud of yourself.

All the best!

Edit:

I`ll try to keep this brief but just thought I would say this so whole the am I, aren`t I acne dysmorphic thingy can be put to bed.

During the course of my CBT, the subject of acne dysmorphia has been brought up because of my beliefs about myself and my consequent behaviours.

In my case, I often believe that acne type blemishes make me repulsive, hideous and ugly. As a result of these beliefs, I have indulged in behaviours such as mirror checking, seeking reassurance from others on the state of my skin,obsessing over my diet and cleansing routine, camouflaging certain parts of my body (I never wear shorts or sunbathe), avoiding social situations and generally obsessing over anything related to the condition of my skin.

If all of this makes me acne dysmorphic then so be it. At the end of the day, it is only a label to categorize me with and it is not important. What is much more important is to work on my behaviours and my way of thinking so that I can "challenge" those core beliefs that I have about myself.

I have used myself as an example just to highlight to you Moonlit River and anyone else who reads this that even if you are acne dysmorphic, it is not important. As I said, it is just a neat label to categorize you with and doesn`t change anything. It`s what you do to change your behaviours and way of thinking so that you can challenge the beliefs that you have about yourself that is far more important.

Hope you get the point that I`m trying to make.

Thanks for clarifying GUNNKE; you didn't have to but it was nice that you did. I totally get what you mean about it just being a label and believe me I'm in no hurry to add any more psychological labels to myself in any case (although every single one of the beliefs and behaviours you highlighted about yourself are in fact applicable to me as well, only difference being that for me it's strappy tops I avoid and make-up I use to camouflage...) Anyway, I don't see how you can call anything "dysmorphic" if the reaction is roughly proportional to the problem (ie. the person actually has moderate/severe acne) and I have no idea how you'd go about challenging such beliefs in either situation so I guess the whole question is pretty much null and void. 

In any case, it was purely out of personal interest that I asked you questions about it and I don't actually intend to do anything with the information if that's what you were worried about. So I'm sorry for any confusion and thank you so much for sharing your experiences! :)

#53 MissIndependent95

MissIndependent95

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing
    Piano
    Basketball

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:20 PM

Ok so I've had moderate acne for the past 8 or so years (started at 13, now 21) and during that time I've become increasingly introverted and nervous around people. I've always avoided big social situations as much as possible but I did actually have some sort of social life (albeit quite a restricted one) until quite recently with the help of the wondrous invention of foundation.

However, in the past few months I've developed severe cystic acne which can no longer be successfully covered up by make-up and, with the exception of my graduation ceremony last week, I haven't actually left the house in about 2 months. My friends keep texting and calling asking me to go out and do things with people but I literally feel like a monster even with a tonne of foundation on because it just doesn't cover up these huge cysts any more. Obviously I'm on various treatments and trying everything I possibly can to improve my skin but it all works so slowly and in the meantime it's just painful, swollen and ugly every minute of the day and I'm too embarrassed to even contemplate showing my face to the outside world. What a sad and sorry existence indeed! It feels like it will never end and I'm so incredibly bored and miserable!!!

Does anyone else have this issue? How on earth are you supposed to get around it and have anything resembling a normal life? And does anyone know of anything that can make these massive deep cysts hurt any less and/or reduce their size? 

Sorry for the long rant I just needed to vent to somebody who might actually understand why I feel like this. Any advice would be seriously appreciated! 

I feel the exact same way. I'm 18 and have been suffering with acne for so so long. Its a combination of genetics and hormones so I get the really huge painful ones under my skin, on top of the regular breakouts all over the face as well. I've been obsessing to the point of where I would just examine how ugly my face is with each pimple. Comments flow in from everywhere saying "do this, do that, do you wash your face?, etc. At this point, I've given up going out in the daytime unless it's either my family or my best friends that i'm with, because they know how my skin is, and this makes me feel ALOT better because I can get out and enjoy life without being so self-conscious about myself.

Feel a bit relieved to see that someone is on the same boat as me though! As for makeup, after much experimentation I have come to the conclusion that with cystic acne, the only makeup worth putting on is concealer for the dark spots as it does nothing to cover the size of the pimples. Although it may not seem like a good thing, this means that there is less makeup on your face, and I don't know about you but that makes me feel a lot better! What I do is I go a bit heavy on the eye makeup so that at least I get compliments on my eyes shy.gif .

#54 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:51 AM

I feel the exact same way. I'm 18 and have been suffering with acne for so so long. Its a combination of genetics and hormones so I get the really huge painful ones under my skin, on top of the regular breakouts all over the face as well. I've been obsessing to the point of where I would just examine how ugly my face is with each pimple. Comments flow in from everywhere saying "do this, do that, do you wash your face?, etc. At this point, I've given up going out in the daytime unless it's either my family or my best friends that i'm with, because they know how my skin is, and this makes me feel ALOT better because I can get out and enjoy life without being so self-conscious about myself.

Feel a bit relieved to see that someone is on the same boat as me though! As for makeup, after much experimentation I have come to the conclusion that with cystic acne, the only makeup worth putting on is concealer for the dark spots as it does nothing to cover the size of the pimples. Although it may not seem like a good thing, this means that there is less makeup on your face, and I don't know about you but that makes me feel a lot better! What I do is I go a bit heavy on the eye makeup so that at least I get compliments on my eyes shy.gif .

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this as well but it is also nice to feel I'm not totally alone in experiencing this. I hate it when other people make comments when really they don't have the first clue about acne. I know they're only trying to help and all but it just makes you feel so much worse! That's great that you can go out with your family and friends without feeling self-conscious. Only my parents know what my skin is like without make-up so I spend most of the time in the house at the moment. I'm just really worried about going back to university after the summer now because I'll be living in a house with three of my friends who have never seen me without make-up before and are just going to think I look like a monster :(

Make-up with cysts is such a nightmare! I always still go for the full foundation but it does nothing to cover the bumpy appearance as you say. If I put less make-up on I just feel more self-conscious and therefore much much worse so it's not even worth me trying to cut down on it because I just end up not talking to anyone. Haha good shout with the eye make-up! I used to always do that in my teens but now I don't wear eye make-up at all because I don't want to do anything that draws any extra attention to my face. I also don't wear jewellery except on my wrists for exactly the same reason. Kind of sad really...

#55 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:19 AM

My dad has now taken to asking me on a daily basis "How close do you think you are to going out now?" and I just don't even know how to answer. I don't feel any closer, I feel like I just want to hide away forever but he looks so expectant each time that it makes me feel really bad for giving a negative response. I'm also absolutely dreading when university term starts again because I'll be living in a house with three other people and they're going to end up seeing me without my make-up at some point and they're going to think I look like such a monster! :( It's really sad because I'm so looking forward to my course and would be really excited about the next year if it weren't for this stupid acne. Why does acne have to ruin every little thing in life?! As it is I'm absolutely dreading it and just don't know how I'm going to cope with having to live with other people and leave the house and face the outside world every single day of the week. I know that sounds totally pathetic, but I literally don't even know how to cope with that much people exposure anymore. Anyone got any tips? 

#56 MaskedOne

MaskedOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

SangeethaS, on 13 Aug 2013 - 01:24, said:snapback.png

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this as well but it is also nice to feel I'm not totally alone in experiencing this. I hate it when other people make comments when really they don't have the first clue about acne. I know they're only trying to help and all but it just makes you feel so much worse! That's great that you can go out with your family and friends without feeling self-conscious. Only my parents know what my skin is like without make-up so I spend most of the time in the house at the moment. I'm just really worried about going back to university after the summer now because I'll be living in a house with three of my friends who have never seen me without make-up before and are just going to think I look like a monster sad.png

Make-up with cysts is such a nightmare! I always still go for the full foundation but it does nothing to cover the bumpy appearance as you say. If I put less make-up on I just feel more self-conscious and therefore much much worse so it's not even worth me trying to cut down on it because I just end up not talking to anyone. Haha good shout with the eye make-up! I used to always do that in my teens but now I don't wear eye make-up at all because I don't want to do anything that draws any extra attention to my face. I also don't wear jewellery except on my wrists for exactly the same reason. Kind of sad really...

Sangeetha, you're not alone here.  I feel the same way. I don't go out much during the day lately, and when I do, I walk with my head down and always try to avoid eye contact. Even my posture is slouched.  I never used to act this way, but it's so difficult to deal with this.

Makeup is so difficult when you're trying to cover up cysts! I spend so much more time getting ready now and I hate it.  I just look in the mirror and think well, I don't even know how to cover it up anymore :(  I do the best I can, but I don't want to put on so much makeup that it makes things worse.  So I put on tinted moisturizer on certain areas, then just stipple (dab) a little extra on the cysts.  Then I use loose powder on my face.  It doesn't completely hide them, but I don't think anything will!

I've gone from being someone who is active, goes out all the time without even checking my face to someone who rarely goes out (ever), avoids eye contact, and doesn't leave the house much anymore.  I hate it.  And it's so much more difficult than people who don't have acne realize: I can't just say so what? who cares?  It takes every ounce of energy to get to the point and I have to do every. single. day. It gets tiring.

#57 Perseverance92

Perseverance92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Age is an issue of mind over matter.If you don't mind it doesn't matters.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

Lets just say that i have started missing college because of this mighty zit on my nose. :/

#58 MissIndependent95

MissIndependent95

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing
    Piano
    Basketball

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

I'm so glad you brought up the slouching position idea, I do the exact same. I avoid areas where there is direct or reflected sunlight as it brings out the bumps on my face. This includes sitting away from any window seats, and sitting in poorly lit areas in general. Another thing that I have to do to cover at least some of my  zits is leaving my hair out so that it covers the sides of my face, where I have many many scars. Can get super annoying, especially on really hot days. But I've noticed that wearing baseball caps (if youre the sporty type) or large sunhats can take away from any huge bumps because your face is no longer brightened up as the focal point.

SangeethaS, on 13 Aug 2013 - 01:24, said:snapback.png

>

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this as well but it is also nice to feel I'm not totally alone in experiencing this. I hate it when other people make comments when really they don't have the first clue about acne. I know they're only trying to help and all but it just makes you feel so much worse! That's great that you can go out with your family and friends without feeling self-conscious. Only my parents know what my skin is like without make-up so I spend most of the time in the house at the moment. I'm just really worried about going back to university after the summer now because I'll be living in a house with three of my friends who have never seen me without make-up before and are just going to think I look like a monster sad.png

Sangeetha, you're not alone here.  I feel the same way. I don't go out much during the day lately, and when I do, I walk with my head down and always try to avoid eye contact. Even my posture is slouched.  I never used to act this way, but it's so difficult to deal with this.

Makeup is so difficult when you're trying to cover up cysts! I spend so much more time getting ready now and I hate it.  I just look in the mirror and think well, I don't even know how to cover it up anymore sad.png  I do the best I can, but I don't want to put on so much makeup that it makes things worse.  So I put on tinted moisturizer on certain areas, then just stipple (dab) a little extra on the cysts.  Then I use loose powder on my face.  It doesn't completely hide them, but I don't think anything will!

I've gone from being someone who is active, goes out all the time without even checking my face to someone who rarely goes out (ever), avoids eye contact, and doesn't leave the house much anymore.  I hate it.  And it's so much more difficult than people who don't have acne realize: I can't just say so what? who cares?  It takes every ounce of energy to get to the point and I have to do every. single. day. It gets tiring.

#59 MoonlitRiver

MoonlitRiver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

My dad said to me today: "I saw a girl with acne just as bad as yours at the checkout in Sainsbury's today and she obviously gets out every day and goes to work without any problems. Why can't you be like that?!" ... Thanks dad, thank you so much for your sensitivity and understanding...

#60 Kalinka

Kalinka

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

Ouch. I remember the breaking point for me, when I realised my skin actually pretty bad (I was trying to pretend it wasn't), was when my mum spoke to me about it, suggesting I get some kind of treatment. She was being supportive and helpful, and she still is, but it was really a blow for me, to hear someone else (especially a parent) come right out and tell me that my skin looked "really bad."

A comment like that is really hurtful. If you don't have experience with pretty bad acne, I really don't think you can totally understand how really really really hard it is to motivate yourself to go out. I suppose maybe your dad is worried for you, that you spend so much time at home now when you used to be more outgoing and active? Although he could be more tactful :errr:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users