mild to moderate acne Questions: Redness, Body Acne, Hyper Pigmentation, New Routine, General Advice For Me?

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Edited by pls

Posted · Report post

Please do not use vaseline- it's a manmade, petroleum based product that will sit on top of your skin. It contains virtually no vitamins, minerals, or anything of value. You're much better off sticking with the jojoba oil. I would also limit your use of the clarisonic- once a week is plenty. If you're already using BP daily you are just stripping the heck out of your skin, and it's just going to produce more oil because it's trying to return to a balanced state. If anything, you're better off doing less to your skin and letting it be.

For lightening you can use products containing vitamin c, lactic or glycolic acid. You could do an at home mask with yogurt (plain organic) and a few drops of lemon juice.

Add TONS of fresh fruit and veggies to your diet. Drink lots of water when you wake up. Eat healthy proteins like organic eggs, chicken and fish. NO refined foods like white flour or sugar- these will wreak havok on your skin. Limit your dairy intake or avoid it if you can. Make green smoothies with fruit, spinach or kale. Add probiotics to your diet. And don't stress too much! You're a beautiful girl, you're young, and this will pass. It's not forever so don't let it get you down.

Posted · Report post

Hi there DreamOfSerene,

I know you've tried a lot of options, but there is something out there to clear your skin, you just need to find it. I think it's worth mentioning that effectively treating your acne means doing the best you can to consistently apply your treatment. It's also harsh on your skin to keep on changing products and medications, so if you can pick one routine and stick to it for 6-10 weeks to see if it's working, that's best. 

From reading your post, you have 3 main issues:

1. Facial redness
  2. Facial acne
  3. Body acne and scarring

It sounds like you have relatively sensitive skin, from your response to the Epiduo and the redness you explain. My first thought is to bail on the clarasonic to get rid of the redness. From my experience and talking to others, those are bad news for acne. They cause a ton of irritation, specifically in the places you need as little as possible. Use your fingertips instead like Dan recommends. And be don't need to scrub or rub BPO in. Your skin is a sponge so let it soak up the treatment. 

Since you have facial and body acne, it could be hormonally induced. I'm not sure if you're on birth control, but it may help. 

Regarding dryness, make sure to apply the jojoba oil after you apply the BPO. Mixing the Olay SPF with 4-6 drops of jojoba and then applying it can be very helpful as well.

Regarding prescription medication for your acne, Epiduo could in fact be beneficial if your derm won't prescribe accutane. I understand it irritates your skin, but try applying it every other night, or every third night. Your skin needs time to adjust to the medication, so be patient. Also, make sure you're only applying a pea-sized amount. More medication does not mean it'll be more effective or work faster. 

It's also worth mentioning that facial and body acne can be a case for accutane, especially with scarring. Be honest with your derm: what you've tried and the research you've done. You may in fact be a good candidate for accutane so play the cards you were dealt and see what happens.

Good luck with getting clear!

P.S. totally agree with TheFearlessFace to avoid vaseline. 

1 person likes this