Photo
Mild to Moderate Acne

Acne For 7 Years

acne reward help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 crawfo666

crawfo666

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

We will call me Noah, i have had acne for 7 years, started out light but is pretty bad now, have blackheads whiteheads, red bumps, acne scars, dry skin, oily skin.

I have tried everything i can think of, from antibiotics (about 6 or 7 different types) creames from the doctors (differin, BP etc) alot of OTC products, taking vitamins, changing diet, changing exercise, changing regimes about 100 times, changing pillow case every night, changing sheets every 4 nights, you name it ive tried it (not accutane and wont). Have even tried the caveman regime, did not wash my face for 4 months, made no difference, but didnt make it worse.

i have tried so many things and have spent thousands of pounds already, and i am at the end, as all of you will know the psychological effects of acne, and how its breaks you!

I am currently trying the no milk method starting today, as one of my favorite things is milk and cereal, so that will be hard.

What this post is all about, is that i need to get this sorted, and therefore if people can suggest things i have not tried, and the person who advises something and it gets me 100% clear, i will honestly give that person £5000, that's how much that would mean to me.

So suggest effective methods to try and if it works i will give that person £5000 GBP of my own money, and this is not a joke.
I just need help.

#2 andlove

andlove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

You say you've changed your diet many times to try and improve your acne. I'm surprised that you are only eliminating dairy from your diet now! Dairy is problematic to many people so see how that goes. 

If that doesn't help much, or even if it does, later on, you could take out all gluten and wheat from your diet, too. Tons of people don't properly digest gluten and many grains are inflammatory-especially refined ones. 

So, although it seems you've already tried changing your diet, from personal experience, I'd suggest totally revamping it and starting fresh. Maybe you could try a diet of little to no processed foods (cereal included :P), no dairy, no gluten, etc., for a few months (obviously replacing it with a balanced diet consisting of various nutritious fruits and vegetables, legumes, etc.,). 

Good luck! 

#3 crawfo666

crawfo666

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:05 AM

You say you've changed your diet many times to try and improve your acne. I'm surprised that you are only eliminating dairy from your diet now! Dairy is problematic to many people so see how that goes. 

If that doesn't help much, or even if it does, later on, you could take out all gluten and wheat from your diet, too. Tons of people don't properly digest gluten and many grains are inflammatory-especially refined ones. 

So, although it seems you've already tried changing your diet, from personal experience, I'd suggest totally revamping it and starting fresh. Maybe you could try a diet of little to no processed foods (cereal included tongue.png), no dairy, no gluten, etc., for a few months (obviously replacing it with a balanced diet consisting of various nutritious fruits and vegetables, legumes, etc.,). 

Good luck! 

Firstly thanks for the response, secondly is this suggesting avoiding ;

• Beer
  • Breads
  • Cakes and pies
  • Candies
  • Cereals
  • Cookies and crackers
  • Croutons
  • French fries
  • Gravies
  • Imitation meat or seafood
  • Matzo
  • Pastas
  • Processed luncheon meats
  • Salad dressings
  • Sauces, including soy sauce
  • Seasoned rice mixes
  • Seasoned snack foods, such as potato and tortilla chips
  • Self-basting poultry
  • Soups and soup bases
  • Vegetables in sauce

All of them?

#4 andlove

andlove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

• Beer-Yes, and all alcohol in general
  • Breads-I'd say, yes, because bread is a processed food. I supposed you could find gluten free bread, but I think it would be good for you to eliminate any and all processed food for a while.  
  • Cakes and pies-Definitely. Again, their are dairy/gluten free versions available, but because of the usual use of refined sugars, avoid it. 
  • Candies-Best not to have anything artificially sweet and just replace it with fruits.
  • Cereals-Yes. 
  • Cookies and crackers-Yes.
  • Croutons-Yes.
  • French fries-Yes.
  • Gravies-Yes.
  • Imitation meat or seafood-Yes.
  • Matzo--Yes, it usually has gluten.
  • Pastas--Yes, there are gluten free options, but pastas are processed.
  • Processed luncheon meats--Yes.
  • Salad dressings--Yes, unless you make your own (i.e., extra virgin olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar). 
  • Sauces, including soy sauce---In most cases, yes.
  • Seasoned rice mixes--Out of a box, you mean? :S Well, if it's already seasoned, it doesn't sound to "fresh".
  • Seasoned snack foods, such as potato and tortilla chips--Yes.
  • Self-basting poultry--Yes.
  • Soups and soup bases--If you make the soup yourself (not out of a packet/tin can), it should be fine. 
  • Vegetables in sauce--It'd be best to just eat vegetables in their most fresh, raw, and unaltered form.

All of them? Pretty much. Regardless, even if you were eliminating dairy from your diet, a lot of the foods you mentioned wouldn't usually be dairy free. 

Here, how about you go on the "elimination diet":  

http://assets.goop.com/111/PlanB.pdf

You can do the elimination diet literally, and after a long enough time period, bring back one food group at a time, to see if your body reacts, or, you could simply go on the diet which is recommended for people attempting to discover suspicious/allergen foods.

It even excludes certain fruits, like citrus, because many people have allergies/intolerances to them. Check out the list of what not to eat/to eat and if you're really dedicated, you can go on the elimination diet rather than just excluding dairy. 

Edited by SapphireBeth, 18 July 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#5 crawfo666

crawfo666

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

• Beer-Yes, and all alcohol in general
  • Breads-I'd say, yes, because bread is a processed food. I supposed you could find gluten free bread, but I think it would be good for you to eliminate any and all processed food for a while.  
  • Cakes and pies-Definitely. Again, their are dairy/gluten free versions available, but because of the usual use of refined sugars, avoid it. 
  • Candies-Best not to have anything artificially sweet and just replace it with fruits.
  • Cereals-Yes. 
  • Cookies and crackers-Yes.
  • Croutons-Yes.
  • French fries-Yes.
  • Gravies-Yes.
  • Imitation meat or seafood-Yes.
  • Matzo--Yes, it usually has gluten.
  • Pastas--Yes, there are gluten free options, but pastas are processed.
  • Processed luncheon meats--Yes.
  • Salad dressings--Yes, unless you make your own (i.e., extra virgin olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar). 
  • Sauces, including soy sauce---In most cases, yes.
  • Seasoned rice mixes--Out of a box, you mean? :S Well, if it's already seasoned, it doesn't sound to "fresh".
  • Seasoned snack foods, such as potato and tortilla chips--Yes.
  • Self-basting poultry--Yes.
  • Soups and soup bases--If you make the soup yourself (not out of a packet/tin can), it should be fine. 
  • Vegetables in sauce--It'd be best to just eat vegetables in their most fresh, raw, and unaltered form.

All of them? Pretty much. Regardless, even if you were eliminating dairy from your diet, a lot of the foods you mentioned wouldn't usually be dairy free. 

Here, how about you go on the "elimination diet":  

http://assets.goop.com/111/PlanB.pdf

You can do the elimination diet literally, and after a long enough time period, bring back one food group at a time, to see if your body reacts, or, you could simply go on the diet which is recommended for people attempting to discover suspicious/allergen foods.

It even excludes certain fruits, like citrus, because many people have allergies/intolerances to them. Check out the list of what not to eat/to eat and if you're really dedicated, you can go on the elimination diet rather than just excluding dairy. 

yes i think i will do the elimination diet, the only problem i have really is i rely on bread and oats for bulking, as i go to the gym 4 nights a week and find it really hard to gain weight, that's why im on about 3500 calories a day, im not sure i can supplement that amount in good food?

i Really appreciate the help, and the time you have taken to reply.

#6 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

Avoiding dairy and low GI diet should help. Increase ur beta carontene, zinc and vitamin D intake most probably from natural sources like vegetable juice, pumpkin seed oil etc. As for topicals try vitamin B5/niacinamide serum together with a zinc sunscreen.

Except for accutane everything is kind of a band aid. Also heavy weight lifting/ protein shakes causes acne for some.

Edited by Binga, 18 July 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#7 crawfo666

crawfo666

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

Avoiding dairy and low GI diet should help. Increase ur beta carontene, zinc and vitamin D intake most probably from natural sources like vegetable juice, pumpkin seed oil etc. As for topicals try vitamin B5/niacinamide serum together with a zinc sunscreen.

Except for accutane everything is kind of a band aid. Also heavy weight lifting/ protein shakes causes acne for some.

Thankyou, i take around 5-10,000 units of vitamin d3 a day, and im taking 30mg of astaxanthin to try and help. i dont have protein shakes, just natural, and i cant stop weight lifting, because it would be a year of progress wasted, and its a lifestyle now.

#8 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

choose a diet that suits YOU.

which is a trial & error process.

but u're right in going dairy-free now and am surprised too that u never tried it earlier.

whatever u mentioned in ur list,its pretty much all that.

but u needn't eliminate oats.u can have oats and quinoa and also buckwheat which are all good for u.

also,'veggies in sauses' - do u mean curries?

well,if they are home made then yes u can.

u can post ur diet plan(in details).check other diet charts for an idea.

do u take protein shake?

that causes break out in many and so does heavy exercises.use the search bar here to know more.

also,that high calorie intake is not doing u any good for ur skin.

eat healthy in general.

check for gluten intolerances and other food intolerances(like night shade members).

also,check for insulin spikes.(with that high calorie content it could be a problem)

(have warm lemon water 1st thing in the morning and 1gram of cinnamon after every main meal.

maintain a good skincare routine.

i suggest a mild BHA wash(pH balanced and non-irritating).

p.s there is no need to mention monetary gain here,

we are all here to support each other .am sure everyone is willing to help and share without expecting any gain.

#9 andlove

andlove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

but u're right in going dairy-free now and am surprised too that u never tried it earlier.

but u needn't eliminate oats.u can have oats and quinoa and also buckwheat which are all good for u.

do u take protein shake?

that causes break out in many and so does heavy exercises.use the search bar here to know more.

eat healthy in general.

check for gluten intolerances and other food intolerances(like night shade members).

also,check for insulin spikes.(with that high calorie content it could be a problem)

(have warm lemon water 1st thing in the morning and 1gram of cinnamon after every main meal.

we are all here to support each other .am sure everyone is willing to help and share without expecting any gain.

I agree that one just needs to choose a diet that fits them. But since it would be a good idea for him to go gluten-free, it would also be wise to eliminate oats for a while-ONLY because they are often mixed with wheat in factories: http://allergiclivin...rt-are-oats-ok/

I've found oats that are "certified gluten-free", so that would be a good thing to buy. 
Yes, quinoa, buckwheat are very good grains to eat. 

#10 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:32 AM

Thankyou, i take around 5-10,000 units of vitamin d3 a day, and im taking 30mg of astaxanthin to try and help. i dont have protein shakes, just natural, and i cant stop weight lifting, because it would be a year of progress wasted, and its a lifestyle now.

Go to a endocrinologist also to see if your acne is hormonal.

#11 aanabill

aanabill

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

real oats that u can get in almost any store(the one u need to make urself,not the instant ones) are anyway gluten-free.

i'd still say check the list of ingredients for no added sugar or any other grain.

i'm not sure where he's from,but he could post a topic here for people from his land to check what brand or store they get oats from.

#12 crawfo666

crawfo666

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:34 AM

real oats that u can get in almost any store(the one u need to make urself,not the instant ones) are anyway gluten-free.

i'd still say check the list of ingredients for no added sugar or any other grain.

i'm not sure where he's from,but he could post a topic here for people from his land to check what brand or store they get oats from.

i get my oats from my protein.com, not sure if that helps?
i only get them because its like £7 for a 5kg bag that will last e a month

#13 aanabill

aanabill

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

u dint really answer my questions in post #8

#14 crawfo666

crawfo666

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

do u take protein shake?

eat healthy in general.

apologies, yeah i meant like curries, and no i don't take protein shakes, just natural.
I'll Try the mineral water.
And about the money, to have no more acne, would literally give me my life back, i would have 80% less problems in life, and for £5000 that would be a bargain!!
I just cant live like this anymore.

#15 aanabill

aanabill

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

in india we make curries or veggie dishes(we call it just sabji and it doesn't really have gravy like curries,there are several such preps) and they are good if made with in a decent way at home.

they'll have turmeric,and other herbs /spices which are anti-inflammatory.

and the range of recipes are endless.

heavy lifting or any form heavy exercises does cause break out.

so does high calorie intake,specially as high as 3500.that's a lot!

atm what do u use topically like cleanser, moisturiser, etc?

any med at all?

#16 Zach Zach

Zach Zach

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hi Noah,

Sounds like you've tried to shake your acne for a while now without much result. I know how it is... I've had it ~9 years so far. Did any particular regimen or change in lifestyle/diet/medication make any kind of difference for you? If so, how long did you stick with that particular thing? I'm assuming you took adequate time with each change to see how it affected you, but just saying b/c I had a massive issue with consistency for many many years and once I got over that issue, things started to look up!

Sometimes, even the most trivial nuances of your day-to-day activities can affect skin (i.e., you say you work out a lot - do you dry sweat off your face vigorously with a towel vs. patting it dry? Little things like that). I used to eat 3500-4000 calories a day, lift heavy 3-4 days a week, and generally "overdo" everything in pursuit of strength and mass goals. I gained strength and I gained mass! At the same time, though, I also suffered from some of the worst acne I have ever experienced. I still lift heavy and have a few obvious spots here and there, but when I cut massive eating, it had a dramatic effect on my skin... much clearer. Btw, milk has never been good to my skin... probably a multitude of reasons that is so, though iirc, it mostly had to do with hormones. So that begs the question: Do you know what your hormone levels are like?

I'd suggest thinking about reducing your milk intake or switching to a different kind of milk (soy, almond, organic) especially if your acne is linked with hormones. Tthink about how balanced your diet is and whether you are overdoing it in any particular macro (like protein or carbs). Most important, imo, is to make some kind of log r.e. what you try and how it affects you over time if you aren't doing that already.

Cheers

#17 Rhaamzes

Rhaamzes

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Hey, i now how you feel, it seems that our minds are connected, i have such ideas too. I've recently repeated in my brain that if someone (old witch, wizard, chinesse doctor, or other mystic wisdom person) will defeat my acne i'll gave him 10 000 $$$. One problem is, that i do not have so much money, lol. 

I tried no carbs, no dairy, and no sugar diet, and it seemed to work. Only thing is: Who want to eat weed for the rest of life, i mean this is so fuckin' boring and hard - waching all the people eating what they want. So, now i'm eat what i want, and i'm happy, maybe i'll return to my diet, i do not now.

Thing, that may help:

http://www.acne.org/...ange-your-life/

I've been in a chemist's shop today and i have 100g of this stuff - Fenugreek seeds. Person, who wrote this post seems to be acquainted of what he is doing. I love such bold and rebel ideas. I't may help to you in 100% or be fake, but hey - most of regimens here are fake ( i mean you tried for 7 years god damn it) - so it's worth to give a try. Ave.

#18 grubby456

grubby456

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

1.ask for a low dose accutane (20mg/day)

2.???

3.Profit.

#19 crawfo666

crawfo666

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

I use a nivea face wash twice a day, and a neutrogena moisturizer, i normally stick with a routine for 6 months to make sure, however i only did cave man for 4 months, thats my only routine at the moment, im not on any medication for it at the moment, havent been for about a year. 

I have to have such a high caloratic intake because if not i dont gain and lose weight from a high metabolism, and after i have gymed i lightly dab my face, i never rub my face.and at the mnoment i have no idea of my hormone levels, they cant be high because i get hardly any facial hair. 

I am currently trying no milk, because i usually have 2 bowls of cereal a day and extra milk after that, so maybe half a litre of milk a day i have cut out, we shall see how that goes. 

Is there a way to test hormonal levels without a doctor, to get an indication? (i hate doctors :P

And no i wont try accutane, atleast not until i try everything else.

#20 Kaelivia

Kaelivia

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Hello :)

If you haven't tried it yet, you could see if Aloe Vera as a topical works for you. Make sure you either buy an Aloe Vera plant so that you can get the juice fast, or 99% or higher Aloe Vera juice in a bottle. If it is the real stuff, it'll require refrigeration to stop it going off as it doesn't contain any nasty chemicals. It should also be a runny liquid rather than a gel. Aloe Vera as a topical is the only thing that is keeping my skin clear since I stopped taking antibiotics. It does dry your skin out a bit, but you can compensate with a moisturiser. 

I'm not saying that it'll definitely work for you, but I know that if someone had recommended it to me all those years ago, then I would have saved myself from many years of distress caused by my skin. Good luck, I hope you find a way to stop your acne :)