Photo

Dark Chocolate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Who is box

Who is box

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

I read that it helps affects your insulin to keep blood sugar levels down resulting in less breakouts? And it has a lot of antixodants ( sorry for spelling? )
Thoughts???

#2 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

It does have a lot of antioxidants. I've never heard it helps your blood sugar levels, but it's very possible. As long as it has little sugar, you're good to go. I love dark chocolate. Aim for at least 70%, though it still does have a lot of sugar. The higher the percentage the better, because obviously the cocoa content is higher, but the chocolate will also have less sugar.

You! Yes, you. The one reading this. You are beautiful, talented, amazing and simply the best at being you. Never forget that.

You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to you boyfriend/spouse/partner. Not to your coworkers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked "female."

Plea to the world: Eat less meat! Or better yet, don't eat it at all! The meat industry violates basic animal rights, it's destroying our planet, and there are so many health benefits you can gain by decreasing/eliminating meat from your diet. Don't let me tell you- do your own research so you can decide for yourself. (The dairy and egg industries are just as horrendous).

I highly recommend watching the movie Earthlings. ^

#3 Chocobot

Chocobot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

Eating dark chocolate has a similar effect on me than drinking coffee, which results in possible breakouts.

I still scrape some 100% dark chocolate over fruits once in a while.

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

It doesn't help keep blood sugar down. But a little low sugar dark chocolate is good for you.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#5 TheFearlessFace

TheFearlessFace

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

Chocolate is a great superfood. I've been skipping the chocolate bars altogether and adding raw cacao powder to my smoothies- that way you are only sweetening it with fruit instead of sugar.

#6 Riddled

Riddled

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

I am pretty sure chocolate is one of the few things that I have correlated with breakouts and I think it may well be the actual Cocoa itself rather than the accompanying sugar and/or saturated fat.

I know this has been posted before but here have been studies recently that seem to be finding that there may actually be a link between chocolate and acne and not just because of the sugar thing.

It always intrigues me how the paleotards wont touch the "poisonous" grains or sugar because our ancestors didn't eat them but then they happily justify eating chocolate when quite clearly the majority of peoples ancestors didn't touch the stuff either. Unless you have a large South American heritage then it is very likely that you and your ancestors have only been consuming cocoa products for a couple of hundred years if that. Does that actually mean anything either way?

There is plenty of stuff out there saying Cocoa is bad for you for various reasons as well as being good for you. Funny how we like to justify things to ourselves when the ol' senses are involved. Can only deprive yourself so much.

God gave us everything we need; the earth to live on, animals to feast on, vegetables to make side dishes and fruit to be eaten in moderation.

The devil put grains, beats and sugarcane on the earth to tempt us.

For approximately 2.5 million to 10,000 years ago most of us strayed away from temptation but the devils influence grew stronger and eventually we swayed to his evil ways.

God new that those whose faith was strong would never fall to temptation so he punished those who took to the pleasures of grains and sugar by not giving us the ability to digest grains and making sugar poisonous, eventually leading to all kinds of health problems including acne.

But some wanted there cake and to eat it too, free of health problems, so they made a pact with the devil and sold their soul's for acne free skin.

We see these people consuming delicious breaded, dough based meals, baked goods and confectioneries but with crystal clear skin.
These people are walking with the devil!!
They are the spawn of satan!!

Paleo is the righteous path my children!!

Your faith must be strong!!

Do not fall to temptation!!

Posted Image

blind
faith
is the
key

#7 spartan32

spartan32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

I have actually tested dark chocolate and I think I am intolerant to it.  Within a few hours of eating it, I get an under the skin nodule on my neck or jawline in the same area every single time.  This is organic 85% as well.

#8 Hutchdan

Hutchdan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

Chocolate is a great superfood. I've been skipping the chocolate bars altogether and adding raw cacao powder to my smoothies- that way you are only sweetening it with fruit instead of sugar.

I don't know what to think, There is a lot of hatred towards coco, just like soy. Its very debatable as to whether its actually good for you. 

the studies on dark chocolate are often misinterpreted or bent a little attract more people to health websites. For instance, people always use the Harvard study on dark chocolate which says one square a day may lower blood pressure.  People go to far in assuming that eating a whole bar will better the effects... 

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

There is a lot of hatred towards coco

?????  I don't think so.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!