Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Had Fractional Co2 Done

46 posts in this topic

Since this forum has turned more into putting urine and other crap onto your face rather than actual medical devices, thought I would detail my experience.

Some other good threads on lasers:

History:

Had pretty bad acne in teens that left scarring as I didn't really do anything to treat the active acne. Mainly boxcar and icepick scarring. Scarring was localized on only the cheeks and that was a major factor in finding a doctor - one who would agree to only treat the cheeks. Also wanted a doctor that would go as aggressive as possible.

<space reserved for before pics>

Pre-procedure:

Was given pain pills, valium type injection, valtrex and an anti biotic. Was also given a blood thinner as the plastic surgeon believes more blood = better results and it prevents blood clots. Was pretty loopy for the procedure.

Procedure:

Was given ~10 local injections on the cheeks. No numbing cream was used. He did light settings on the outside of the cheeks and a strong setting with multiple passes on the inside where the scarring was.

Pain - 3/10

Swelling - 9/10 (eyes were almost swollen closed). I assume this is mainly because of the injections rather than the laser. I was frozen up pretty good

General Discomfort - 3/10

Immediately post procedure had a tiny bit of pain, intense swelling and cold compresses were applied. Was sent home around an hour later with some polysporin applied to the face.

Post procedure/day 1:

c6q.png

Have just been applying aquaphor. There is just some mild residual pain and bad swelling but otherwise nothing else to note.

Day 2:

es7i.png

v2y.png

1 person likes this

Good luck with your recovery and thanks for sharing. So happy to see a real scar treatment thread again and someone actually taking action that can improve scars. I really hope this works for you.

Interesting that your doctor gave you a blood thinner. I have never heard of that as most say co2 laser is attracted to water in the skin so the less blood, the better. I have also read that coagualtion and blood cotting at the base of the scar is good. No idea if either really make a difference.

Which laser did you choose? Based on the bleeding and swelling, it looks like Repair. With Total FX, they do Active FX last as it helps seal the skin and blood vessels. It just leaves you with a little pinpoint bleeding after the procedure. Deep FX alone is a different story.

What is your skin type? Curious to know if you are predisposed to any potential side effects, like people with Asian or olive skin.

You might start questioning your sanity over the next few days. Just remember, this phase is temporary and chances are, it will be worth it. Stay strong and best wishes for an awesome outcome!

Best of luck!

Good luck with your recovery and thanks for sharing. So happy to see a real scar treatment thread again and someone actually taking action that can improve scars. I really hope this works for you.

Interesting that your doctor gave you a blood thinner. I have never heard of that as most say co2 laser is attracted to water in the skin so the less blood, the better. I have also read that coagualtion and blood cotting at the base of the scar is good. No idea if either really make a difference.

Which laser did you choose? Based on the bleeding and swelling, it looks like Repair. With Total FX, they do Active FX last as it helps seal the skin and blood vessels. It just leaves you with a little pinpoint bleeding after the procedure. Deep FX alone is a different story.

What is your skin type? Curious to know if you are predisposed to any potential side effects, like people with Asian or olive skin.

You might start questioning your sanity over the next few days. Just remember, this phase is temporary and chances are, it will be worth it. Stay strong and best wishes for an awesome outcome!

Best of luck!

How is everything working out? Any estimation upon the percentage improvement?

Can't believe I only just saw this thread now (hard to follow what proper there is amongst all the urine/avocado stuff). Definitely following! I hope you heal well and get great results! Can't wait to hear future updates. I'm also considering fractional CO2 for my scarring which is the same type as yours.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you for elevating the discussion on this board. Hopefully the conversation can get back to science-backed treatments instead of the aforementioned urine / avocados / god knows. LOL... Anywhoo, it does look intense and I'm not aware of other C02 lasers that can cause this much bleeding. Would be great to know more details. Like Inspired said, can you give us some details about your skin type, level of scarring prior to treatment, etc?

hey thanks for this thread and please keep updating us on your progress as time goes on. i think you are going to have great results! i am getting co2 done (not the fractional co2 though) on some raised scarring on my chin and i just keep praying that i will get good results. the plastic surgeon who will do the laser claims this is the only way to try and make the raised scarring look better is to try and level it with the rest of the skin. anyway good luck and thank you for sharing your story!

I was pretty much healed after about 6-7 days, only just some left over redness still present (3 weeks later). You can pull off a sunburn look after a week however. There wasn't any pain or anything during the recover, moreso annoying due to the peeling skin, itchyness and swelling. After about a week everything peeled and 80% of the swelling went away. 2nd week the bad redness got better and 90% of the swelling went away. Now there's just a tiny bit of swelling and some redness. I'll upload pics when I have some time.

hey thanks for this thread and please keep updating us on your progress as time goes on. i think you are going to have great results! i am getting co2 done (not the fractional co2 though) on some raised scarring on my chin and i just keep praying that i will get good results. the plastic surgeon who will do the laser claims this is the only way to try and make the raised scarring look better is to try and level it with the rest of the skin. anyway good luck and thank you for sharing your story!

I'm glad that you're getting good results. I did Mixto laser recently too but at a lower setting. How many passes did you do exactly? For my next session I don't know if I'm going to do 2 or 3.

Eye of newt, and toe of frog,

Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,

Adder's fork, and blind-worm's sting,

Lizard's leg, and howlet's wing

Ok I guess you guys are tired of the voodoo cures. NOT ALL FRACTIONSL LASERS ARE CREATED EQUAL!! Know your laser and your treatment levels, or you will come away dissatisfied. I haven't updated this in quite a while, but surely some of it must still be relevant.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/252527-laser-link-o-rama/

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% May 22, 2008

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Jan 08, 2009

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Oct 30,2009

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Oct 08,2010

Fraxel Re:pair 70 mj - 60% Nov 04,2011

"The Road To Wellville" 1994

Goodloe Bender: Health! The 'open sesame' to the sucker's purse!

acnescar123, frankly I am too far removed from the debate to have any desire to research the differences. I did that at one time, but now I am content with knowing what worked for me. I compiled the laser link thread some time ago when I was still actively having treatments, and I have not updated it in some time. At the time of the compilation Re:pair and DeepFX were considered far superior to the other lasers in results. If that has changed I wouldn't know. 4 years ago when I was looking at lasers anything other than Re:pair and DeepFX was considered inferior. All I know is what worked for me.

Quite frankly since I am older my interest has turned to Plastic Surgery. I come on here more out of habit than anything else, and I only comment on laser threads. I will continue with Re:pair as a tune up after plastic surgery. I went through dermabrasion and regular CO2 with no results. When I did Re:pair it worked so why go anywhere else.

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

I agree with Dudley. Not all fractional co2 lasers are equal. MixTo isn't even a pulsed laser. It is not a deep laser either. It is no different than traditional co2 in fractional mode. They claim this carries less risk of side-effects and that this makes their technology (which is only different from traditional because it is micro fractional) superior. I have done a lot of research on this too over many years.

Inspired we have fought these debates some time ago, and neither of us have the need to go back. I assume Re:pair and DeepFX are still considered the superior lasers. As you can tell I am a little removed from the debate, and not up to date. I am either through with my laser work or I might get Re:pair as a tune up after plastic surgery. It is great for tightening the skin also, which was its intended application.

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

holy crap that looks intense! where in ontario did you have this done? i wish you the best of luck man

MixTo isn't even a pulsed laser. It is not a deep laser either. It is no different than traditional co2 in fractional mode. They claim this carries less risk of side-effects and that this makes their technology (which is only different from traditional because it is micro fractional) superior. I have done a lot of research on this too over many years.

Mixto is a continuous light, not pulsed light, laser. It is carefully worded on their site. 500 microns is superficial and is comparable to Active FX in terms of depth. If I had the energy and wasn't restricted to a phone right now, I would do this debate.

Glad you are healing well and still wish you the best of luck.

Keep in mind, in my research, I needed a laser that could improve deep damage. Softening of scars is great but after time, the surface returns to normal. At least, that's been my experience. I had one deep scar treated with MixTo and found the scar looked smoother for several months. The depth looked improved during the swelling stage. The scar eventually returned to normal and I saw no improvement in depth. Your skin does have memory. If you are not destroying the deeper damage, i believe the scars return to normal. Shaving down is no different than a deep peel in my opinion. As your skin recovers and ages, I believe the scars do return to normal when you have only had a superficial depth treated because the real damage exists deeper than 500 microns. If you search the forum, you will find posts where we have been really technical on this in the part on this board.

Also, I want to add that while I have done Total FX, I do believe the surface improvement and softening are temporary. I am willing to pay for that temporary improvement.

Ain't no big thing. That is just blood that washes off. It may look scary but it is nothing. Once he washes it off everything is brought into perspective.

holy crap that looks intense! where in ontario did you have this done? i wish you the best of luck man

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

Mixto is a continuous light, not pulsed light, laser. It is carefully worded on their site. 500 microns is superficial and is comparable to Active FX in terms of depth. If I had the energy and wasn't restricted to a phone right now, I would do this debate.

Glad you are healing well and still wish you the best of luck.

There is nothing you can quote on this forum that I have not read. I more than understand lasers. The depths you are quoting are incorrect. Watch this video from the start. You might find the ablation/thermal damage chart interesting: http://www.lumenis.com/webinar_archive/videoplayer.php?id=1602390770001

My doctor hit my scars at 35mj with Deep FX and then did a second pass at 15mj with a higher density. Look at the chart for the total depth including ablation. you might also find the part on continuous light vs pulsed light interesting. Lumenis makes both type

Acnescar123, I am far past the laser debates. I did my research over 4 years ago, and I have no idea what has changed in the last few years. As you probably know I advocate Re:pair. At the time of my consideration DeepFX was really the only other treatment I seriously considered. The Lasers of a Lesser God appeared to be inferior at that time. My major argument now is what I know first hand to be the effectiveness of Re:pair. The data you present is interesting, and perhaps people are achieving good results with the other lasers, but I made my decision, and it was an excellent decision. It was a decision that changed my life, and I would not change a thing. I am a fan of the rolling handpiece. My interest is in plastic surgery at this point. Here are a couple of interesting forums if anyone is interested.

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/

http://messageboards.makemeheal.com/george-yang-doctor/ Dr. Yang gives some interesting and in depth answers, and he may of particular interest to people of Asian heritage.

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

There is nothing you can quote on this forum that I have not read. I more than understand lasers. The depths you are quoting are incorrect. Watch this video from the start. You might find the ablation/thermal damage chart interesting: http://www.lumenis.com/webinar_archive/videoplayer.php?id=1602390770001

My doctor hit my scars at 35mj with Deep FX and then did a second pass at 15mj with a higher density. Look at the chart for the total depth including ablation. you might also find the part on continuous light vs pulsed light interesting. Lumenis makes both type

Dermabrasion - Full Face

CO2 Full Face 1996

I stand by what I said. Deep FX has more than a maximum ablation depth of 700 microns and Active FX has more than a maximum ablation depth of 120 microns. I don't know where you are getting that chart but Lumenis is constantly updating the software to the Ultrapulse and I hardly think the numbers on their charts from 2012 are a lie.

You obviously know more than anyone else, even doctors. With that said, this debate is pointless.

I will say again that not all fractional co2 are the same and making such a bold statement is misleading to people new to laser treatment. Following that belief, Active FX is no different than Deep FX and MixTo is comparable to Repair. I totally disagree. I don't even believe Repair is the same as Deep FX. I believe Repair is comparable to Total FX.

Btw, most doctors are not going to do the maximum with any laser. What one doctor considers aggressive, another experienced with acne scarring may consider moderate or standard according to safety guidelines for your skin type. That's one reason I try to understand a laser and settings before deciding to invest $1000s in treatment. If you are not attacking the scar at the base and using aggressive settings, I believe you can expect minimum results.

1 person likes this