Photo

Do You Think Hair Products Cause Acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bluegreeneyed

Bluegreeneyed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:56 AM

I was thinking maybe some of my acne could be my hair products because I have alot of bumps on my forehead. Does anyone know if their could be a correlation between the two? And if you think there is, what sort of hair products could I use? Ones that have no aroma? I need to use hair products on my hair after I wash it because I have naturally wavy hair so it gets frizzy easy :P so using no product after I wash my hair is not an option :P right now I use aveda Be Curly line and I feel like when I use it, it bothers my allergies & makes my skin feel kinda itchy. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my acne though. Any opinions on hair products you use and acne?

#2 mogthemighty

mogthemighty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

There's definitely a correlation in my eyes; when I was a lot younger and used to use hairgel (cringe) I used to breakout all over my forehead; you can either try other similar products and see what your skin agrees with or just try ridiculously hard to avoid contact with the skin.

#3 liyahandkmanmom

liyahandkmanmom

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

I think some hair products break me out too. My face can be almost clear but my neck can be broken out so bad. I think its from my hair being down and touching my neck. I've tried so many diffrent products I don't know what else to do.

#4 mogthemighty

mogthemighty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

I think some hair products break me out too. My face can be almost clear but my neck can be broken out so bad. I think its from my hair being down and touching my neck. I've tried so many diffrent products I don't know what else to do.

Wear your hair up :D

#5 wheatfree

wheatfree

Have you nurtured your soul today?

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Yes! It may or may not technically BE acne, but hair products can most certainly cause skin reactions that appear similar to acne!

#6 Ghost08

Ghost08

Stay Beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Yeah definitely. I can only use head and shoulders, other shampoos cause me to get bumps all over my scalp and hairline.

#7 Avada Kedavra Acne

Avada Kedavra Acne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Yes Head and Shoulders is awsome! I use  the very dry scalp with almond oil- its the 2 in 1. and every week i use a deep treatment by aussie. :) Also oils you add after you wash your hair before drying can cause acne. :) 

#8 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Yes. Avoid sulfates (esp. SLS), parabens and salicylates, or at least the sulfates. And make sure you rinse out all the shampoo so that there is no residue because that makes things worse. The scalp can absorb all the chemicals that are in these products, which is a scary thought since that's too close to the brain. Not to make you paranoid or anything...if you are cautious with your hair products and rinse off your shampoo you should be fine.

Edited by WishClean, 19 July 2013 - 09:42 PM.

#9 Sheryn M

Sheryn M

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

When i consulted a dermatologist once, she told me that my acne can be caused by the shampoo that i used because i also have a few dots on my forehead along with the sides of my face that touches the hair. I even have acne on my chin which accdg to my dermatologist can be caused by a hypersensitivity on my toothpaste. However, I am not sure which component of those products causes breakouts. I really feel bad because i really have hypersensitivity on a lot of products.

#10 Spotthedifference

Spotthedifference

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 42
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

V05's treat me right is the best deep conditioner I've ever tried - it also hates my face. I try to keep the two away from each other, because non-inflamed forehead acne seems to be the result of their coupling tongue.png Also, SLS' are bad, bad, bad for your hair, regardless of the whole skin issue. You can clarify your hair with apple cider vinegar instead if you need a very thorough clean.

Edited by Spotthedifference, 12 August 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#11 darkheart

darkheart

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

It can cause acne cosmetica, NOT acne vulgaris.