Trying Caveman Regimen - Need Advice!

caveman regimen advice acne oily skin

44 replies to this topic

#41 paul051966

paul051966

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Daily Workout.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

Day 26

• Took much of dead skin layer off on Nov 30. Huge amounts from scalp.
  • That night, skin was raw immediately after, red and irritated, one area that is always a problem spot (very sensitive with an enlarged sebaceous gland underneath), felt like a pimple was forming or even possible cystic, kind of scary. Another healing cystic pimple from weeks prior, now exposed as the dead skin layer above taken off, very red, basically new skin that is exposed and now will need some more time to heal over, no traces of old pimple activity though.
  • Next day, itchy and red over much of face, sensitive, no flakes or dead skin apparent.
  • Next day, starting to see skin heal over, less redness, more pink,, not as much itching.
  • Yesterday, skin was getting a layer of thin and light oil as day progressed, no dead skin or flaking apparent, pink in color - good color for me.
  • Today, off from work, cold this morning in Los Angeles, skin lighter, some dead skin film starting to form, in particular over areas where I didn't get all of the layer from Sat night off. Skin is nice light pink color. The area that I feared might get a cystic pimple never came out. I can still feel a slight pain under skin, but very small amt and only if I touch it, good sign for me that if anything, it should be a tiny one worst case scenario.
  • I have been rinsing with distilled water on face night and morning since Saturday night. This morning, nothing. No oil present anywhere. Some in part to possible new dead skin layer forming, but not itching at all, no redness, nice light pink color, face not inflammed at the slightest. Some of this is in part due to the cold dry temp this morning, but no flaking and no oil are good signs.
  • Old healing cystic acne continues to lighten and healing. General overall feel and appearance is good and I feel is progressing in a positive way.
  • Right now, it feels like this is just the next cycle in the healing process. If things go as planned, the dead skin layer will be less than the first phase before coming off and skin acid mantle will continue to get better. My goal though is NOT to take off any dead skin, to allow it to come off on its own.

Right now, I'm happy. Saturday night and the next couple days, I was scared, but not completely unexpected. Thanks to past posters about their experiences after taking their first dead skin mask off, the raw exposed skin under would take a few days to heal up, and there might be some rough patches.

Paul

Edited by paul051966, 04 December 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#42 paul051966

paul051966

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

Day 31 / Mon / 12-9-13

Recap: Saturday night Nov 30, end of 3rd week of my Caveman skin care routine, is when I took off much of my dead skin mask, at least as much as I could get while trying to stay gentle, there was more that could have come off, in particular my scalp - huge amounts. It left my skin very red and tender, with a couple pimples - rising to surface that may have been covered by the dead skin layer. Until this time, they had not been noticed, probably because I had so much dead skin. They did not turn cystic, and cleared in a couple days. When my face gets irritated, I break out in that area of irritation, whether it be from something rubbing it like a hat along hair line, drying it out using a cleanser, or hard water. So many different ways my skin gets irritated, as a matter of fact, constant state of irritation is how I would describe my skin. Anything and everything aggravates it, weather (temperature, pollution, wind)., chemicals, stress, just touching it etc...

The next day, still very tender, less red.

Next day, again less red, more pinkish, less tender. One deep cystic type acne coming to surface, few very small pimples various areas, nothing alarming.

By Friday, that one that seemed to show signs of a cystic type acne (painful, red, no head forming, large surface area, deep under skin) basically gone, yes just went away. Amazing really and a very good sign. I can't remember a time when this has happened before. Always, these come out over days, and can take many weeks to heal, then end up possibly causing a scar because they are so deep. Not this time. Overall skin very nice and pink, dead skin layer reforming, but not as thick as when I started. My routine continues to be, distilled water from a bowl, room temp (which is pretty cold now a days), splashed on face and once in a while on scalp, evening and morning. No rubbing. On scalp, I do massage in. I have been lightly towel drying, very gently just dabbing, still leaving face fairly moist. Making sure the towel is clean, new towel each time. My skin likes it, feels refreshing and seems to drink in the water.

Another good sign. I sweat each evening from working out, and do dry sauna - 10 min tops, to really get a good sweat to get those toxins out. I do not pat dry it. I leave it on for at least a couple hours before splashing with my evening distilled water. During the first 3 weeks, sweat on my face would be close to painful. Now, the sweat feels comforting, and seems to sink in much better. In the past, the sweat would just sit atop irritated, red, swollen skin, with dead skin patches that were thick and flaky similar to a wound scabbing over trying to heal, but never would.

Saturday, again nice, didn't splash water on in the morning, barely any flaking or itchy areas. Dead skin layer is there, but fairly thin still. Skin is much less inflamed, and even sinking in a bit. That is a very good sign, normally my skin is swollen and red. Sinking in a bit around my bone structure is a good sign, this is more natural for me as I am lean from working out w/cardio daily. Usually my body is lean, but my face is red and swollen complete opposites.

Today, skin continues to be a nice pink color, only a couple very small pin prick sized pimples around my forehead area, and spread out, but so small, tomorrow they could be gone and you wouldn't know they were there. My skin will never be white unless the dead skin layer is thick enough to cover my thin rosacea skin. So the best I'll get is pink and this to me means healthy. The dead skin layer is there and getting thicker, but still overall much less compared to this time when I started.

So after 1 week when I first started, pretty thick dead skin, itchy, combination of dry/oily patches, flaky at times, sensitive, sweat would tend to burn if left on.

Now, after 1 week - post dead skin layer removal, skin overall pink and healthy color, dead skin layer less thick, less itching, less pimple prone, more even texture - barely any oil accumulation, barely any flaking patches. I feel I could go without splashing distilled water on in the AM, however I still will, as it seems my skin likes it, seems to get hydrated and absorbs it to a degree.

This is a positive report. I am happy. Although I will temper my enthusiasm because still early in the game. We all know about that emotional roller coaster, how early good results get dashed within a week or 2. I am still hoping to get less and less dead skin as I go forward and hope that I don't feel I have to take off the next layer, that it will just come off naturally on its own.

Things I must avoid and are being confirmed now:

Hard Water (I am so allergic)

Hot or even warm temp water

Cleansers

Rubbing

One last positive sign. I normally could not drink coffee pre-caveman. If I did, I would itch like crazy, my red flaky patches would get more inflamed. In the past one time, I even got hives when my immune system was low as I hadn't been feeling well that day. Now, I'm drinking black coffee in the morning, usually 1-2 cups max, but almost no itching at all, no skin inflammation. I do need to keep it to a minimum though as my stomach can't handle more than a couple cups.

I'll report again in a few days.

Edited by paul051966, 09 December 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#43 paul051966

paul051966

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

Day 34 / Thur, 12/12/13

Continued progress, I am happy to report.

I did get some breakout, small whiteheads, couple red larger, on my now most sensitive area - forehead to upper hair line. I am not getting any new pimples at all on my face which is amazing. Now, I did drink lots of coffee yesterday morning, and this seemed to aggravate those areas where I broke out, but I really am interested in testing how I do drinking my nemesis coffee and so far, still tolerate it very well overall. I only drink it in the am and no more than 2 cups. I have Rosacea, and coffee is bad for that as well, another reason I'm so sensitive to it. Rest of day, tea and water.

Dead skin is there and seemed to be more last night. After splashing face with distilled water and pat dry, I did brush off just a little of the dead skin that appeared loose around my cheeks. I was very gentle and did so very very lightly and no issues.

Today, my breakout areas pretty much gone, no itching, no discomfort at all, those bumps have greatly diminished or gone completely - again happily surprised. If I look really close, I can still see a few, but they are very small. You'd have to look close up. Normally, with a pimple I get an associated inflammation.

Skin overall looks healthy, no itching, dead skin build up is much less than when I started. I really can't see any excess oil anywhere. Skin is smoother and softer, but yet stronger, less sensitive and brittle than before starting this distilled water face rinse (no rubbing - except scalp). Also, no showers, just sit in tub and use distilled water from a bowl to cleanse body after nightly workouts. Normally, taking warm showers using hard water in the winter causes dry areas on lower legs.

I hope to do this for the rest of my life, it's definitely not difficult and only takes a couple minutes. I do daily night/am distilled water rinse because it feels like I get less dead skin build up. I hope to do less frequency if my skin continues to progress and heal up.

So far so good, long ways to go, but happy right now. I will continue to post.

Edited by paul051966, 12 December 2013 - 05:34 PM.

#44 paul051966

paul051966

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Day 49 / Fri, Dec 27

Not a whole lot of difference. I'm trying to avoid any water touching my face, just to try to expedite the skin healing process and to allow it to become possibly stronger on its own.

Last time I splashed water on was Tue morning. Interesting, that night skin was somewhat oily, especially on nose and forehead, and dead skin film looked less noticeable. 3 days later, with no water contact, it's less oily, but dead skin is more noticeable. Still getting a few little pimples, but nothing major.

Dead skin is more of a film on scalp and hair line. On my forehead, temples, cheeks, it's more clumpy and uneven, more along the lines of what a scab might look like, uneven thickness. Last time I took off any dead skin was on day 21 I believe.

Still no showers during this whole process, just splash distilled water on private areas. Body skin is doing great, no dry skin at all, color is really natural and healthy.

So the dead skin remains the biggest pain, but all part of the healing process I hope, and I'm really going to try to not take it off, until I feel I really need to. If the dead skin can blend in, then I'm more likely to leave alone.

#45 paul051966

paul051966

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Day 80 Update / Spring Water instead of Distilled / Also mineral oil warning

Learned a few things since last post.

To help with the flaking and dead skin and all that comes with it for SD sufferers, and after researching what oil I could use without oleic acid, I decided to try some mineral oil. Some say don't use, causes acne, others say it's non-comedogenic and non-irritating, so I patch tested around my chin area for a couple days, didn't have any issues. So then put all over my face last Saturday morning, huge mistake, felt a sore area like a cystic acne starting on my left cheek area early evening, so immediately rinsed a few times with distilled water to try to get it off. That sore area did indeed become a big cystic acne and even spread to a couple different areas with smaller but sore pimples close by. Luckily, not too much damage anywhere else, just some general irritation and small break out patches. The cystic acne did it's thing, big inflamed, sore, and finally a couple days ago started healing, and now looks pretty darn good, much smaller, minor redness.

The thing that helped was sea salt water (distilled) mixture dabbed on a couple times each day, killed the bacteria, has helped heal nicely. This helps well as long as I use only sparingly and small areas. Otherwise, it's too drying can irritate.

This past Saturday, I tried Spring Water instead of distilled. My thinking is, after rinsing with distilled, my skin feels a bit sensitive and itchy, then calms after some time, but I'm still getting flaking and itching with the dead skin. I had tried Spring Water rinse a couple times the previous week to see how my skin would react since I was getting impatient with the continued dead skin build up, itching, and flaking, and it seemed to be more calm, less sensitive, like it was able to hold moisture better, and less flaking.

Since Saturday morning, I've continued to Spring Water rinse am/pm. Skin continues to feel softer, more calm, less flaking and itching, less sensitive and better able to hold moisture compared to distilled at least. I think Distilled might be a bit too acidic for my skin and is causing some irritation w/flaking and itching. When distilled is exposed to air, it draws in CO2 and becomes acidic. Since I keep a lid on, it doesn't get too bad, but still probably in the 6.5-6.7 range, this may be too much for me. Spring Water ph should be much more alkaline in the range of 8-8.5, due to the minerals it picks up from passing over rocks in the earth, so this may be enough to help my skin be less reactive.

So I learned a few things. No mineral oil, reacted terribly. Can use Jojoba on occasion if necessary, as long as in small areas, it has only about 10% oleic acid so about as good as I'm going to find for a plant oil. Spring Water now in use only for rinse.

Diet wise, I like to drink red wine nightly, and we know not good for SD. Started drinking Sake last night, supposed to be much less acidic, and has no sulfites.

Overall, I expect this to be a long process and needs patience, still much better than before I started. Skin is stronger, very little acne, hopefully the switch to Spring Water will be a positive addition and help lessen any irritation, dead skin buildup and flaking.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users