Photo

Spell Check Issues?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the text boxes on acne.org tend to flag many recognized English words as misspelled ones. Would you guys double check the software, maybe it needs updated to a new version? I would assume that it would have a similar spell check engine as Microsoft Office Applications, but sometimes a word is flagged in here that isn't in Microsoft Word.

I cannot possibly remember every word this has happened it, but the latest one is the word "hormonally". It is flagged as misspelled in acne.org, but if you copy and paste it into Microsoft Word then Word recognizes it as correct.

It just causes typing long explanation to be somewhat tedious when a word you think is spelled correctly is flagged. If you could look into maybe just updating the software that'd be great. Thanks.

#2 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

This isn't my field of expertise on this site, but I'm sure one of the admins will have a look at the issue.  All I wanted to say is be thankful that you're American, because almost every second word that I type is recognised as incorrect spelling but only because its English UK spelling not English US spelling.   An example of which is recognise vs recognize.   :)

#3 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

Wait so the spelling of certain English words is different whether you're from the US or the UK? Whoa, I had no idea LOL; I thought English was the same everywhere in the world, and that the different spellings of certain words (like recognize) were more from just historical changes of the language. Are there many cases like this for you, or is it only for a handful of words?

I can read spanish well, still not quite fluent speaking it yet though, and I have seen cases like this where Spanish words differ slightly whether you are talking Central/South American Spanish or Spain/Euro Spanish. But I didn't know English was like that too.

That's interesting smile.png

Edited by CBIOT13, 08 July 2013 - 07:41 PM.

#4 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

There are heaps of words spelt differently between US and non US English speaking countries.   Even that sentence has an example.  We say "spelt" (as in heaps of words spelt differently) and you would have said "spelled".  (if im not mistaken).  Mostly on this site its words such as Moisturiser vs moisturizer etc. 

So let me get this right, all this time you saw posts from non US members and you were thinking "man, these people can't spell to save themselves".  Right?  Right? ;)

#5 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

LOL pretty much :)

#6 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance.

Bahahahaaa ;)

#7 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Haha I know, ironic right?

I wouldn't call that ignorance though, it's not something an American thinks about too much. We think English is English, and those of us that don't have the oppurtunity to speak to UK citizens will never know that it isn't. I bet if I polled my friends at college only about 5% of them would know that the actual spelling and form is different.

Hey, I consider myself cultured, having spoken face to face with people from many different countries. And one thing I've seen is that we'll never know the finer points of a language until we actually use it ourselves, especially grammtical structure (ever look at Mandarin? it's sooo complex) and so I think I deserve a free pass on this one :)

Edited by CBIOT13, 08 July 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#8 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

YES,we use UK english where we use 's' for words like moisturiser and realise while u guys use 'z'!but i guess thats a problem in almost all the websites and even some text based softwares.

its all Americano my friends!!grinwink.gif

Edited by aanabill, 08 July 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#9 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

All I wanted to say is be thankful that you're American, because almost every second word that I type is recognised as incorrect spelling but only because its English UK spelling not English US spelling.

lol.gif Right? And then I have the handicap of English not being my native language... Every single word is marked as a typo... Or maybe that's my spell-checker's way of saying to just shut up and don't type anything at all. Must be it...

@CBIOT13: Spell checking is a browser setting, to my knowledge it has nothing to do with the board software. If you're using Chrome (I'm assuming it's similar for other browsers), right-clicking a misspelled word will bring you to the spell-checker options.

#10 mogthemighty

mogthemighty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

There's a 'u' in our 'colour' as well :D There's a gay bar round the corner to me that I always refuse to go to because it has the americanised spelling of 'colours' as it's name :D

#11 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:13 AM

@CBIOT13: Spell checking is a browser setting, to my knowledge it has nothing to do with the board software. If you're using Chrome (I'm assuming it's similar for other browsers), right-clicking a misspelled word will bring you to the spell-checker options.

AKL, you're a champion...I did not know this.  Ok, I've changed the dictionary on my browser to English - Australian (whatever that means) so lets check it.

moisturiser :)

colour :) (thanks mogthemighty)

Ahhh, no red underlines...how wonderful!

#12 AKL

AKL

Retired Mod

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

There's a 'u' in our 'colour' as well biggrin.png There's a gay bar round the corner to me that I always refuse to go to because it has the americanised spelling of 'colours' as it's name biggrin.png

I bet they ordered that sign in the US. Or maybe they're just cheapo's wink.png

Ok, I've changed the dictionary on my browser to English - Australian (whatever that means)

The Aussie version has a special section for sarcasm. You can officialy be sarcastic now, without your spell-checker calling you out on it all the time. Oh and it also has a kangaroo section, if I'm not mistaken.

eta: I spelled/spelt "officialy" wrong on purpose, otherwise I'd miss the red underlining too much.

Edited by AKL, 09 July 2013 - 04:20 AM.

#13 real maverick

real maverick

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

There is no spellcheck software on acne.org. The flags are coming from your PC. It maybe that you've got a setting American English rather than UK English or International English as it's often referred to.

Check your language and keyboard settings, I'm a mac user, so not sure exactly where they will be.

#14 CBIOT13

CBIOT13

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

Huh, well that's odd then LOL. I'm using Chrome, so I guess it has a different dictionary than Microsoft Word.

#15 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

AKL, you're a champion...I did not know this.  Ok, I've changed the dictionary on my browser to English - Australian (whatever that means) so lets check it.

moisturiser smile.png

colour smile.png (thanks mogthemighty)

Ahhh, no red underlines...how wonderful!

how on earth did u do that?huh?

p.s yes,i am still a dinosaur!