Photo
Mild to Moderate Acne

How Should I Go About Telling My Mum About How My Acne Makes Me Feel?

acne sad upset worthless

4 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzstar123

Buzzstar123

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

Hello, I need some advise on how i should go about telling my mum about how my acne makes me feel.

• I have mild to moderate acne
  • I first started getting acne when I joined secondary school 
  • I've now had acne in my life for three years
  • Recently I have looked in the mirror and started to cry because I feel dirty and worthless, just looking at myself now is making me depressed
  • Acne is now starting to interfere with my social life. I never leave the house, only when I have to go to school and when asked by my friends if i want to do teenager type stuff (e.g going out to the park) i decline saying I'm busy when really I'm not but just saying that so that people don't see how horrendous I look.
  • Most of my friends have absolutely no acne, which makes me stand out even more 
  • i have never been criticised by anybody about my acne in public, however i do sense people looking at it.

Overall, acne is wrecking my teenage years and i don't know what to do anymore. I have decided however to tell my mum about it but i'm unsure how to tell her and what i should say as advise as what i should do.

Im 14 years of age, come from The United Kingdom and have Aspergers Syndrome. 

In conclusion, i need help, serious help and wouldn't mind some helpful advise to my topic title

Thank you and may God bless you :)

#2 Tim714

Tim714

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hey, well you already took the first step in dealing with the problem by coming here and asking for advice which is a big deal so good on you for that. I, like most people on here know what it feels like to hate what you see when you look in the mirror so I can relate. 

My face got really bad about seven months ago after being mostly clear for a good amount of time and it was rough since I'm an adult now. I would also decline invitations from friends to go out and it made me feel even worse about the whole thing. I finally decided to go back on Accutane and after six weeks on the drug, I am seeing slow but consistent improvement. A few weeks ago I decided I wasn't going to let it effect whether or not I went out with my friends and although it's difficult at times, it's way better than always staying in. Nobody ever brings it up anyway so I was basically hiding out for no reason, so yeah, go out when you want to go out. 

As far as telling your mother about how you feel, I don't know what kind of relationship you have with her or what kind of person she is but I'm willing to assume she'll be at least somewhat understanding and want to help you. Getting it off your chest should help a lot. 

I don't know what you've tried on your skin but there is a lot of good info here and plenty of people willing to help plus telling your mother should get the ball rolling on seeing a Dr and eventually a dermatologist. Also you're very young so you may very well grow out of it. Just remember, it won't last forever so try not to let it run you're life and keep trying remedies until you find the right one for you. I hope this helped, good luck with everything. 

#3 LukeSawyer

LukeSawyer

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:My passion is my work as an EFT Practitioner. I also enjoy hiking, fencing, martial arts, and computers.

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

I think Tim has some good advice I think. Getting emotional support is helpful, since acne has such a depression effect. I would bring the subject up with your mom, and see what her reaction is. Just let her know how you feel about your acne, and how strong the feelings are. 

Hopefully she'll be supportive of you, and be able to help you work on a regimen or something else to take care of the acne. 

#4 Torquemonster

Torquemonster

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Motorcycling
    Golf
    Guitar Playing
    Walking/Hiking
    Bicycling

Achievements

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:32 AM

Buzzstar,
Assuming she is a typical mom and a reasonable person, you should definitely discuss your issue with her. I have found that being able to discuss this kind of stuff with someone is mentally helpful. Most moms will do just about anything to help their children. It is sort of an unspoken compliment that you trust her, and are choosing to share your deepest personal issue with her, and are seeking her advice. She will probably be happy to help you. You already know what to say, you outlined it in your opening post. You don't need to know the solution. If you knew that you wouldn't have a problem. Just pick a time and place where the two of you won't be interrupted for awhile. Good luck, it will be fine.

#5 Buzzstar123

Buzzstar123

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:55 AM

Thank you for the quick responses, my mum is Very caring and loving women, in fact she loves children, she has three of us so I hope so! This was the first time I've put something on these forums and Im happy I did. Unfortunately, I did cry again this morning, I wasn't just crying at my red spots, I was crying about all the blackheads I have all over my face. I am going to talk to my mum today and I will give an update later on on how it went on. Thank you all so much for your responses again, it means a lot. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users