Photo

Impossible To Date With Bad Acne

55 replies to this topic

#21 SunnySarah

SunnySarah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:reading, watching movies, volunteering, cooking, traveling, meeting new people, exploring

Achievements

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

Every single human on the face of this earth has a flaw. Some people have flaws on the inside and others have ones on the outside. There's this amazing quote by Roald Dahl that goes 

“If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it. A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” 

This is extremely true, how you think about yourself really shows. And just so you know, if any girl will not date you because of a skin issue, then they themselves have issues that are inside.

Severe acne can be more than a "flaw". If it becomes inflammatory enough with sizeable lesions it can be a certified disfigurement and make the person completely undesirable. A pimple problem here and there like skin that is prone to the occasional bad breakout I would consider a "flaw" and not the biggest deal in the world but something more severe, like say widespread acne conglobata is crippling.

I agree 100% with you that acne can be crippling, especially if it is more than just a small breakout. But, acne isn't just something that comes and goes in a day. Acne usually sticks around for a little while. If you have to live with something, I personally think you should try and be as positive as you can about it. If you let things get to you and ruin your life, that would not be a fun life to live.

I do disagree that acne "makes the person completely undesirable" even with very severe acne. There is a model named Cassandra Bankson who has severe acne. She's not perfect, but I admire that she makes youtube videos with her severe acne and seems very bubbly and happy in life, even though she lives with severe acne.

Cassandra Bankson does not suffer from cystic acne, she has moderate inflammatory acne that has now mostly subsided. I would never classify her acne as severe as it wasn't nodular. Now this girl, Elaine Mokk (who's also on youtube) has TRULY disfiguring horrific acne

SAM_7595.JPG

Cassandra Bankson does suffer from cystic acne, she's said it herself. And yes, Elaine Mokk does have severe acne, but she has nice lips and pretty eyes. There is so much more to her than her skin. (:

#22 pretty me

pretty me

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

I have a bad acne and I have no bfs some like me but they are ashamed of dating a girl with damage skin..but as I grew older it became scars deep scars and that made me feel much more worse and ugly and always hating myself and always asking God why me..Then he gave me a man and that man made me feel that I'm beautiful..No matter how ugly you are there will be this one person that was meant for you and love you for who you are not of what you look..Don't loose hope..Have a positive out look.. :)

#23 Spotthedifference

Spotthedifference

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 42
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, running, creative projects, the sims games

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

Lots of threads cover this topic, and I've seen quite a few of these debates going on over my time here at the forums. If somebody truly finds you attractive they will like you with or without the acne. If skin is a big deciding factor then they can't like your other features all that much. I was in relationships all throughout my acne when it was at it's worst - both a proper relationship and dating when that didn't work out (which was for stupid dramatic emotional reasons). My skin was never an issue or even brought up, although I'd make it a point to go on at least one date with no makeup on (at all) to let them know exactly what I looked like naturally.

My acne wasn't severe, and most people classed it as 'mild' or 'light'. Personally, I still think it was more moderate at it's worst. The worst reaction I got about my skin was when I started BP, and a friend of my partner (at the time) commented on and mocked the severe redness of my skin, which was ironic considering his own girlfriend had cystic acne. I think with time you get so used to acne that you learn to live with it. Don't get me wrong, the insecurities are horrible, and it's more about rising above them and going for it anyway than forgetting about them. Don't waste the chance to talk to people and ask them out if you can, and push aside thoughts of any imperfections whilst you're with them. Thinking positive things makes you carry yourself differently. 

Ultimately, if they don't want you because of acne, that's not somebody you want anything meaningful with. The worst you'll lose out on are a few cheap dates that'd just want you for a while. You're not losing out on anybody special if they can't handle what is, in the grand scheme of things, just one aspect of your appearance (I was with someone with severe acne before mine set in. It didn't change my opinion of him at all). 

Currently clear of acne with the occasional hormonal breakout. Check out my routines and progress updates here:
http://www.acne.org/...g-and-duac-gel/

Treat yourself as you treat others.

#24 Antonik

Antonik

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

There are people out there.
Believe it or not.
My ex had beautiful clear skin and she didn't mind that my face was horrible.
You just have to learn to love yourself before allowing someone else to love you.
Or else your insecurities will ruin the relationship.

#25 AlexanderJ86

AlexanderJ86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Did anyone not want to date you / have a relationship with you because of your acne? Did someone literally say to you "I am going to leave you now, because you have acne." ?

#26 Aiko1992

Aiko1992

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

I think the same way, i don´t really know how bad my acne really is, since i have only red marks on my cheeks that makes it look like if i have moderated acne, i don´t have any current pimples but my skin is not clear yet. I don´t know about dating i mean, the guys that i´ve been with always said that i was beautiful and they always want to be with me instead of my friends whom they have super clear skin. You might be right when you say that, people will look past your flaws only if you have mild acne. But let me tell you this, if a person is not going to like you because of your acne, than that person is just shallow, i mean seriously. Because even though acne can really ruin your confidence and your looks, yet you can still be attractive because if you have, very pretty features, than acne wouldn´t make any difference. The other day i saw a very handsome guy, tall, blonde, with blue eyes, very elegant and you know what? he had severe acne, there were no space in his skin, it was all covered with pimples and his face was very red. And yet i still liked him and one of my friends she has very clear skin she still find him attractive. I just think that it depends on the person, the true beauty is on the inside and if they were not willing to see that than they were never worth your time. 

people like to succeed. but they hate successful people.

if you don´t accept who you are...who else is gonna do it?

If a guy doesn´t love because of your acne...If a guy doesn´t accepts you for who you are...than he was never worth your time.eusa_naughty.gif

#27 faceandlms

faceandlms

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

I have found that it's impossible to date with severe acne. No one will go out with you in college if you're acne is bad. I hear people online saying that they will look past that for your personality, but I find that not to be the case. The only people with acne that I see that have relationships have very mild acne, so maybe that is what people online are referring to when they say they'd date someone with acne. Women used to compliment my looks and be interested in me until my acne got seriously bad. Now, they only want to be friends.

I can imagine how bad my acne must look to others because my friends and family comment on it all the time. They don't even want to get close to me because of it. I have tried every antibiotic, diet change, topical, etc. treatment and have been to many dermatologists and nothing works.

How bad is your acne? do you have pics? I find acne scars and rosacea= game over. Dont listen to the bs that people preach about the importance of personality. Science has proven that woman place equal importance on physical appearance as men. Moreover, women are more stringent about a man's face wheras a man is willing to date a "butterface" or a/erage/below-average looking woman with a slim figure. Every noticed that most of the gym monkeys/guys who take steroids are either single or have fat girlfriends?

If your acne is as bad as mine I'd forget about girls and focus on money/career. Getting rich is the ultimate revenge. 

#28 sorbet

sorbet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:photography, reading, running, art, music, cooking

Achievements

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

I had a boyfriend when I was 17, he had moderate acne and redness AND I DID NOT CARE. I had no acne at the time, and the fact that he had acne didn't even come into it. I liked him, that was it. My current boyfriend has ice pick scars on his cheeks and gets pimples every now and again, and I have mild acne and scaring. IT DOESN'T MATTER. If two people like each other enough, it really doesn't matter.

If people are shallow enough to look at you and decide not to date you because of your acne THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT.

I think people who have acne can definitely date, but I do think our anxiety about our skin may make it harder for us to put ourselves out there, which obviously means we don't meet as many people/don't date as much.

Edited by sorbet, 11 September 2013 - 09:01 PM.

Stopping the birth control pill & going natural log:

http://www.acne.org/...ntrol-pill-log/

#29 patrick92

patrick92

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:03 AM

I too have found it impossible to date and have never had any girl show any interest in me in at all (as far as I know). In the past I have blamed this entirely on me being ugly because of acne, though now I can see that it's actually mainly due to me using isolation as a defense mechanism against possible rejection or embarrassment. The fact is I have always been too self conscious / down on myself to even dare starting a conversation with a girl, let alone getting to know them and asking them out. Anytime I've had a crush on someone, I've talked myself out of approaching them with negative thoughts such as.... "she wouldn't want to talk to someone like me" or "she would just be put off by my face" etc etc.

Though acne definitely isn't considered attractive, and there will always be people who are too shallow to go out with an acne sufferer, there shouldn't be any reason somebody with acne can't find someone to date/have a relationship with if they put themselves out there. As others have said, nobody is perfect, and there is so much more to good looks than just complexion. It's the damage acne does to your perception of yourself, not the acne itself, that will really hold you back from finding someone in my opinion. I'm trying to not be so hard on myself all the time, but it's easier said than done :/

Current Treatment:

AM:             Cetaphil gentle cleanser

PM:             Cetaphil gentle cleanser

100mg Doxycycline

Tretinoin/Retin-A 0.05% cream

My log: http://www.acne.org/...oxycycline-log/

#30 TemperateCent

TemperateCent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

Did anyone not want to date you / have a relationship with you because of your acne? Did someone literally say to you "I am going to leave you now, because you have acne." ?

Yes, I have had women tell me that they would have gone out with me if my skin was clear and mentioned how good I used to look before I had acne. One even said she would date me if I tried Accutane and it cleared up (don't really trust her word on that, but she did say it).

My personality has not changed, just my looks. I did not loose confidence.

I have found that it's impossible to date with severe acne. No one will go out with you in college if you're acne is bad. I hear people online saying that they will look past that for your personality, but I find that not to be the case. The only people with acne that I see that have relationships have very mild acne, so maybe that is what people online are referring to when they say they'd date someone with acne. Women used to compliment my looks and be interested in me until my acne got seriously bad. Now, they only want to be friends.

I can imagine how bad my acne must look to others because my friends and family comment on it all the time. They don't even want to get close to me because of it. I have tried every antibiotic, diet change, topical, etc. treatment and have been to many dermatologists and nothing works.

How bad is your acne? do you have pics? I find acne scars and rosacea= game over. Dont listen to the bs that people preach about the importance of personality. Science has proven that woman place equal importance on physical appearance as men. Moreover, women are more stringent about a man's face wheras a man is willing to date a "butterface" or a/erage/below-average looking woman with a slim figure. Every noticed that most of the gym monkeys/guys who take steroids are either single or have fat girlfriends?

If your acne is as bad as mine I'd forget about girls and focus on money/career. Getting rich is the ultimate revenge. 

My acne is bad. I have horrible scarring and severe acne, along with large zits. I have tried everything except for Accutane at this point, but I have read about people on this forum saying they got IBS after taking it which is even worse than acne.

@TemperateCent ; . The reason you still have acne is because you deserve it. 

#31 AlexanderJ86

AlexanderJ86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

Yes, I have had women tell me that they would have gone out with me if my skin was clear and mentioned how good I used to look before I had acne. One even said she would date me if I tried Accutane and it cleared up (don't really trust her word on that, but she did say it).

My acne is bad. I have horrible scarring and severe acne, along with large zits. I have tried everything except for Accutane at this point, but I have read about people on this forum saying they got IBS after taking it which is even worse than acne.

I'd rather have IBS than spend my entire life without a girlfriend. I'd rather have all kinds of diseases, like cancer and aids.

#32 TemperateCent

TemperateCent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

>> 

I'd rather have IBS than spend my entire life without a girlfriend. I'd rather have all kinds of diseases, like cancer and aids.

Other problems with Accutane are acne coming back a few months after treatment for certain people and other issues (some have said it gave them ED - how would you have a girlfriend with that type of problem?)

I am amazed that you'd say that you'd live with things such as cancer, aids, and IBS. I don't think you'd have the same opinion if you actually lived with one of those issues. What if you took Accutane, got one of the possible harmful side effects, and then the acne came back half a year later anyway? I have heard many reports online of that happening. Accutane sounds like a risky drug to me.

#33 faceandlms

faceandlms

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

>> 

Other problems with Accutane are acne coming back a few months after treatment for certain people and other issues (some have said it gave them ED - how would you have a girlfriend with that type of problem?)

I am amazed that you'd say that you'd live with things such as cancer, aids, and IBS. I don't think you'd have the same opinion if you actually lived with one of those issues. What if you took Accutane, got one of the possible harmful side effects, and then the acne came back half a year later anyway? I have heard many reports online of that happening. Accutane sounds like a risky drug to me.

Hey Temperacent,

After I recieve a payment Im going to order some accutane asap. However, after my own extensive research it's apparent that low-dose is the only way to go. This is especially true if you're prone to facial flushing/redness. I already have facial rosacea/seb-derm so I'm paranoid of this. Nonetheless, Im giving 5mg/day a shot. 

#34 AlexanderJ86

AlexanderJ86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

>> 

I actually live with one of those issues. I have symptoms of IBS.

#35 TemperateCent

TemperateCent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

>> 

If your acne is as bad as mine I'd forget about girls and focus on money/career. Getting rich is the ultimate r

evenge.

Severity of IBS varies. I think if you had Crohn's Disease or a more severe IBS form it would make your life very difficult. There are people that don't get side effects from Accutane, but I have heard so many stories about side effects that never went away that it sounds dangerous to me. If you have acne, you may be able to try it and have good results. I would personally just be worried about the side effects that someone may or may not get.

Faceandlms,

5 MG daily sounds abnormally low. Have you spoken to a dermatologist?

#36 AlexanderJ86

AlexanderJ86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:41 PM

>> 

If your acne is as bad as mine I'd forget about girls and focus on money/career. Getting rich is the ultimate r<

/p> evenge.

Severity of IBS varies. I think if you had Crohn's Disease or a more severe IBS form it would make your life very difficult. There are people that don't get side effects from Accutane, but I have heard so many stories about side effects that never went away that it sounds dangerous to me. If you have acne, you may be able to try it and have good results. I would personally just be worried about the side effects that someone may or may not get.

Faceandlms,

I have only slept for a few hours due to my bowel problems.

#37 faceandlms

faceandlms

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

>> 

If your acne is as bad as mine I'd forget about girls and focus on money/career. Getting rich is the ultimate r<

/p> evenge.

Faceandlms,

No. I went to a dermatologist 5 years ago. However, that only made my skin worse since the minocycline he prescribed has possibly contributed to the pink butterfly rash on my face. 

My dad is a pharmacist and supports my decision to go on accutane. The newest rage is prescribing low-dose accutane for rosacea! I'd consider any modest reduction in facial redness to be a bonus since my primary motive is to drastically curb sebum production. 

Moreover, my own research and the experience of a close friend can confirm that such a low dose is effective in reducing sebum. The only catch is you need to take it for 2-3x as long and as such, stay out of the sun (This is no problem for me as I'm never in sunlight for over 3 minutes a day as Im desperate to get rid of my facial redness) 

#38 TemperateCent

TemperateCent

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:41 PM

Alex, I am sorry to hear about that. Personally, I would not want that issue, and some claim that Accutane is linked to it. I do not want to take the chance.

Faceandlms, it will be interesting to see if it works for you on that dosage. Most people go on much higher dosages to see results.

#39 moodymoody

moodymoody

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

That's right that's impossible to date with acne on your face. Maybe for me its because I want to look perfect on my special day with someone I loved. Always there's a feeling that he will keep an eye on my skin,, and then he will moving away from my life bcause he realized that its not good enough.

#40 SubState

SubState

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Okay, it is a lot harder to find a someone when you have acne but it's definitely NOT impossible. Probably you'll encounter more girls that don't want to date you but occasionally, if you put yourself out there, there are girls that just don't care about your acne. Seriously, a guy I met last summer had BAAAD acne, cystic acne all over his face and neck and bad scars. He didn't seem to care one bit about it. When he introduced me to his girlfriend I was stunned. She was absolutely smoking hot, intelligent, had flawless skin, and really niced. It wasn't even that he was succesful, I believe he worked in retail. He was just really confident and all his friends seemed to love him and enjoy his company. And to be honest, he wasn't really attractive even if he didn't have acne, just confident and fun to be around

You've probably had it up to here with these stories of succes but I can't stand these absolute statements. I agree acne makes dating a lot harder for guys/girls, but it's definitely not impossible. If you play your cards right, be more confident, you might even find a really beautiful girl that loves you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users