#41 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Getting clear, and staying that way

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi! So how do you use your jojoba? Just mix a couple drops with your moisturizer? Some people do the scrub method to remove flakes (which I'm afraid of even trying while I still have active pimples), and others also put on a thin layer right after cleansing and before BP...

On Accutane as of September 13, 2013

My log

Month 1 - 20mg (finished)

Month 2 - 40mg (finished)

Month 3 - 60mg (finished)

Month 4 - 60mg (finished)

Month 5 - 70mg (finished)

Month 6 - 80mg (finished)

Month 7 - 80mg (finished)

Month 8 - 40mg (finished)

Month 9 - 20mg

#42 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hi! So how do you use your jojoba? Just mix a couple drops with your moisturizer? Some people do the scrub method to remove flakes (which I'm afraid of even trying while I still have active pimples), and others also put on a thin layer right after cleansing and before BP...

I just mix a few drops in with my moisturiser at night. I've been using 3-5 drops depending how dry my skin feels. The oil with the cetaphil moisturiser definitely helps with flakes but doesn't make them disappear completely. And it makes my skin look quite oily and shiny which is why I've only been using jojoba at night (but I'll use it in the morning if I don't plan on going out that day).

I actually tried using jojoba oil to exfoliate this morning. I was a bit worried about doing it while still having acne too so I just tested it on my chin. It's pretty gentle if you use enough oil and it helped with the flakes more too. But I think it's impossible to get rid of all the flakes at this stage. That will have to wait until your skin is fully adjusted to the BP I think.

I don't think putting jojoba on before BP is a good idea - the BP won't be able to work effectively on you skin. Adding it to your moisturiser would be the best way I think.

Started The Acne.org Regimen 2nd July 2013

#43 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Day 14

End of week 2! In a way, it feels a lot longer than 2 weeks though...

Nothing much to report on really. I spoke too soon about my left side being clear - I woke up with a few tiny whiteheads there but I'm not bothered my them much because they are really small.

I might regret this, but my plan for week 3 is  to get up to a full fingers length of BP (which I think is the same as a pump on Dan's BP? I'll have to check). I've been using approx. 3-4cm of gel / about from finger tip to a bit past first knuckle. So I guess I'm nearly halfway to a full fingers length. Maybe it's too quick to suddenly ramp up to that amount so I'll aim to be at that amount by the end of week 3 (if not sooner). I only have this week left before I go back to uni, so it would be nice if my skin had pretty much adjusted to this amount of BP before then.

#44 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, trying new things, finding my inner strength through this struggle.

Acne has broken me down but i am hopefully that one day things will get better.

Achievements

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:23 AM

Keep on trucking Lilly. The first few months can be crazy and unpredictable but it does get better. Unless your skin is mega irritated, continue to increase BP gradually.

Good Luck

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#45 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

Keep on trucking Lilly. The first few months can be crazy and unpredictable but it does get better. Unless your skin is mega irritated, continue to increase BP gradually.

Good Luck

Thanks for the tip Sach :) My skin was crazy irritated a few days ago - I'm really surprised at how quickly that's resolved though. But I'm sure I'll end up with more irritation again when I increase BP again. If it's as bad as it was those few days ago I'll definitely go slower with the BP

#46 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Day 15

(Week 3)

Basically woke up with a beard of flakes! Gross! :P I guess I'm not using enough jojoba oil. It feels like enough when I apply it at night but it's been completely absorbed by the time I wake up in the morning. I've been trying to sleep on my back too lately so that my pillows aren't touching my face all night but it's hard to just switch to a different way of sleeping! So I tried exfoliating with jojoba oil  this morning and I only slightly increased the BP - I think it's better that I go slower rather than end up with more dryness on top of what I'm already experiencing plus crazy burning and redness again. I'd look like an actual monster going back to uni like that :P If things look like they're going ok though, I'll increase it a bit more (if my skin can handle it).

But the rest of my skin is looking good. The breakouts on my right are nearly gone and haven't had new ones there. Same for my forehead and the little spots I had on the left cheek are gone too. My chin is still the worst area in terms of breakouts and flakes/dryness. That's probably why the dryness is worse there - I've been concentrating the BP there a bit more than the rest of my face.

Hope everything is going well for you all :)

#47 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

It looks like you are progressing really well Lilly!

Lol, I'm always trying to do the same thing and sleep on my back but I fail every time.

Keep it up! :)

I am currently taking 2 x 250mg oxytetracycline tablets twice per day and at night apply Duac Once Daily Gel. Both of these have been prescribed by my doctor.

#48 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:24 AM

It looks like you are progressing really well Lilly!

Lol, I'm always trying to do the same thing and sleep on my back but I fail every time.

Keep it up! smile.png

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Hopefully the regimen does end up working well for both of us / all of us using it!

#49 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:06 AM

Day 15 - evening update

Despite exfoliating with jojoba and using a tonne of it with my moisturiser this morning, my chin and jaw is still quite flaky. I made a mistake in terms of the regimen guidelines tonight because I went and used a wash cloth to help exfoliate. I tried to stay gentle but I think I was probably a bit too rough on my skin. I hope it doesn't cause any major issues.

It's really annoying me that my BP is drying white on my face. It sort of looks like it's caught in dry skin... but it's probably just that I had a bit more BP in the areas where it dried white than in other areas where it dried/absorbed normally. It's fine after moisturising though (all blended in and not white looking).

Annnd the burning and redness is back too - Woohoo :/ haha Just like I thought it would. I've just finished the regimen for the evening (waiting for moisturiser to absorb fully) and my skin is burning so much! I think I'll end up standing in front of the freezer like nicmic said a while ago :P Hoping my skin adjusts to this new / slightly increased amount of BP soon.

#50 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Day 16

Flakiness and dryness around my mouth / chin was better this morning than yesterday morning. It was still a little dry and flaky though. I think I should be using even more jojoba (I did use a lot last night though) and I need to be careful that my bed sheets aren't wiping it off as I sleep. 

I was feeling pretty down about my skin this morning. I feel like I'm breaking out a bit more and I guess the dryness is really getting to me. But I was going through old photos on my computer and found a bunch of photos I'd taken of my skin about 2 or 3 months ago at least (might upload sometime) My skin has improved since then a lot! So that's encouraging and makes me feel a bit better about my skin smile.png I have a feeling this week (week 3) will be tough though...

Not much else to say for this morning... Still applying for / looking for jobs. Hope to find something soon. I've been doing a lot of it through online applications - it would probably help and go apply or hand in resumes at places in person but I just can't face doing that right now with my skin being how it is.

Edit: - My mum is still quite worried I'm doing more harm than good to my skin because my skin is so red again... it looks a bit like what I imagine it would look like after a chemical peel....

I'm looking for a new moisturiser too. I tried the neutrogena one out a few days ago but I feel like I needed to use a lot of it to make my skin feel ok. I think it will be good in a few weeks time when my skin is hopefully less flaky and dry feeling. It would probably be good now if I mixed it with some cetaphil... I'll try that next time.

I'm also looking at a brand called DermaVeen, which makes moisturisers etc for skin conditions like eczema, which I think I'll try soon. They make a moisturising SPF30 cream as well which I want to get too. I prefer to use and SPF 30 (due to me being pale naturally and the extreme sun here - plus the BP makes you extra sensitive to the sun) but majority of moisturisers seem to only have SPF15.

There's also an Australian brand called MooGoo that make specialty skin condition creams - eczema and psoriasis etc - I've used some of there things and I really like most of what I've used (except their acne cream which did nothing for me) so I'd like to try one of their moisturisers again too but they use a lot of different oils in their products, so I'll wait until I've hopefully experienced clear skin for a while before trying them out again.

Edited by Lilly75, 16 July 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#51 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Day 16

Flakiness and dryness around my mouth / chin was better this morning than yesterday morning. It was still a little dry and flaky though. I think I should be using even more jojoba (I did use a lot last night though) and I need to be careful that my bed sheets aren't wiping it off as I sleep. 

I was feeling pretty down about my skin this morning. I feel like I'm breaking out a bit more and I guess the dryness is really getting to me. But I was going through old photos on my computer and found a bunch of photos I'd taken of my skin about 2 or 3 months ago at least (might upload sometime) My skin has improved since then a lot! So that's encouraging and makes me feel a bit better about my skin smile.png I have a feeling this week (week 3) will be tough though...

Not much else to say for this morning... Still applying for / looking for jobs. Hope to find something soon. I've been doing a lot of it through online applications - it would probably help and go apply or hand in resumes at places in person but I just can't face doing that right now with my skin being how it is.

Edit: - My mum is still quite worried I'm doing more harm than good to my skin because my skin is so red again... it looks a bit like what I imagine it would look like after a chemical peel....

I'm looking for a new moisturiser too. I tried the neutrogena one out a few days ago but I feel like I needed to use a lot of it to make my skin feel ok. I think it will be good in a few weeks time when my skin is hopefully less flaky and dry feeling. It would probably be good now if I mixed it with some cetaphil... I'll try that next time.

I'm also looking at a brand called DermaVeen, which makes moisturisers etc for skin conditions like eczema, which I think I'll try soon. They make a moisturising SPF30 cream as well which I want to get too. I prefer to use and SPF 30 (due to me being pale naturally and the extreme sun here - plus the BP makes you extra sensitive to the sun) but majority of moisturisers seem to only have SPF15.

There's also an Australian brand called MooGoo that make specialty skin condition creams - eczema and psoriasis etc - I've used some of there things and I really like most of what I've used (except their acne cream which did nothing for me) so I'd like to try one of their moisturisers again too but they use a lot of different oils in their products, so I'll wait until I've hopefully experienced clear skin for a while before trying them out again.

I guess we can both hunt for new moisturizers now! Whatever you do, don't get Cetaphil's SPF moisturizer... if you think the Lotion burns, wait till you've tried that!

My log

Month 9 - 20mg

#52 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

I guess we can both hunt for new moisturizers now! Whatever you do, don't get Cetaphil's SPF moisturizer... if you think the Lotion burns, wait till you've tried that!

Haha :P Thanks for the warning! I think the Cetaphil SPF products are new here - I noticed them for the first time when I was buying everything to start the regimen. Now I know to try other things!

#53 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Day 17

Has anyone actually experienced BP bleaching stuff? I did in the past when I used BP (mainly my towels would bleach) but this time using it, so far, I haven't noticed anything looking bleached. I've been a bit clumsy sometimes and get BP on my eyebrows but it doesn't seem to do anything (I do wipe it off soon after though) and I haven't noticed my sheets or pillow cases bleaching either.... eusa_think.gif   

Probably jinxed it now tongue.png Tomorrow everything will start looking bleached haha (just like every time I say some part of my skin looks clear, the next day there's a new breakout to greet me rolleyes.gif ).

Anyway... dryness / flakiness is still annoying me. It's much less than a few days ago but it's still noticeable (unless I use a lot of jojoba oil but I don't want to go out looking all oily either) and it's just around my chin and a little at the sides of my mouth. The breakouts on my chin are slowly healing and so are the ones on my right cheek... but I can still feel them under the skin, so I don't know if they'll flare up again or what.

So here are a few pics so I can monitor how my skin is progressing..
I took these one at the start of week 3 (day 15)

[attachment=50361:2013-07-16 11.07.47.jpg]  right side - not sure why it looks redder than the rest of my face...

[attachment=50362:2013-07-16 11.08.08.jpg]  left side

[attachment=50363:2013-07-16 11.08.31.jpg]  can sort of see the breakouts on my chin here

I think I'm slowly seeing some improvement. This is still the typical breakout 'pattern' I get normally. My forehead is clear now though which is why I don't have a pic... Usually my forehead stays clear unless a new product has irritated the skin there. In the past when I've used BP, my forehead is always the first to clear up and BP keeps it clear well. I hope the same thing happens with the type of acne I get on the lower part of my face.

I think even when I hopefully get clear It'll be hard to tell that I am because I have so many red marks and pigmentation from old acne.
Oh well...
Have to keep on keeping on :)

Edited by Lilly75, 17 July 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#54 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Hiking, Weight Lifting

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

Your skin is looking nice, Lily! Great progress so far. It does kinda suck that the red marks hang around longer when using BP, I have that same issue, but at least the bright side is not much new stuff comes up to create new red marks. Keep on truckin' lil lady, you're doing so good! 

Daily Regimen:
-Clean and Clear Foaming Cleanser
-Dan's 2.5% BP 
-Jojoba oil as moisturizer

Nightly Regimen:
-Dan's 2.5% BP
-Cetaphil moisturizer + a few drops of Jojoba oil 

My Regimen Log: http://www.acne.org/...gs-regimen-log/

#55 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

Your skin is looking nice, Lily! Great progress so far. It does kinda suck that the red marks hang around longer when using BP, I have that same issue, but at least the bright side is not much new stuff comes up to create new red marks. Keep on truckin' lil lady, you're doing so good! 

Thanks for the encouraging words :) It's going slowly but surely (I hope)! 

Have you been using AHA or anything for red marks?

Also, anyone know if should I wait until my skin is clearer or more under control before trying things to fade red marks? Or could I start sooner?

#56 Randall Flagg

Randall Flagg

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Hiking, Weight Lifting

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for the encouraging words smile.png It's going slowly but surely (I hope)! 

Have you been using AHA or anything for red marks?

Also, anyone know if should I wait until my skin is clearer or more under control before trying things to fade red marks? Or could I start sooner?

Yeah I do use the AHA, it does seem to fade the red marks a bit but I think it's kind of a gradual process. I actually cheated a bit with the AHA when I started the Regimen and began using it like 2 or 3 weeks in, didn't have any adverse affects...but I think everyone's skin is different and you'll never know unless you try. Maybe you can use it on just one little area of skin as a "patch test" to see if it causes you any issues this early into the Regimen...that way you'll know if it would beneficial or detrimental to introduce it this early on. 

Daily Regimen:
-Dan's 2.5% BP 
-Jojoba oil as moisturizer

Nightly Regimen:
-Dan's 2.5% BP
-Cetaphil moisturizer + a few drops of Jojoba oil 

My Regimen Log: http://www.acne.org/...gs-regimen-log/

#57 Clear My Skin

Clear My Skin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

Omg, previously when I was using a large amount of BP I'd put a lot on my forehead and it would all run into my eyebrows, there's little lighter now, lol, but I can use the excuse "my hair goes fairer in the summer".

I think me and you get acne around the same areas, my forehead is clear(ish) but my cheeks and chin aren't. You're really inspiring me to keep carrying on, even when my skin looks horrible right now. Thank you :)

I am currently taking 2 x 250mg oxytetracycline tablets twice per day and at night apply Duac Once Daily Gel. Both of these have been prescribed by my doctor.

#58 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

Yeah I do use the AHA, it does seem to fade the red marks a bit but I think it's kind of a gradual process. I actually cheated a bit with the AHA when I started the Regimen and began using it like 2 or 3 weeks in, didn't have any adverse affects...but I think everyone's skin is different and you'll never know unless you try. Maybe you can use it on just one little area of skin as a "patch test" to see if it causes you any issues this early into the Regimen...that way you'll know if it would beneficial or detrimental to introduce it this early on. 

I don't have actual AHA so I think I'll wait a bit longer before trying the product I have... The product I bought has AHA and BHA so I'll have to be careful when I try it because it's adding in another ingredient. It could be too much but I'll try it anyway. When I was buying the other stuff to start the regimen, I sort of bought this product on impulse because it has AHA and normally retails around $50 and it was on sale for $20... bargain! :P It says it fades acne scarring so I'll give it a shot at some point anyway

Good to know the AHA seems to be fading things gradually for you!

Omg, previously when I was using a large amount of BP I'd put a lot on my forehead and it would all run into my eyebrows, there's little lighter now, lol, but I can use the excuse "my hair goes fairer in the summer".

I think me and you get acne around the same areas, my forehead is clear(ish) but my cheeks and chin aren't. You're really inspiring me to keep carrying on, even when my skin looks horrible right now. Thank you smile.png

Wow - that really means a lot :) Glad I'm encouraging someone through this log!

It's nice to have this little regimen community of people who have just started the regimen and who have had the regimen work for them already - everyone can support and help eachother - which is something I love about these forums in general (not just the regimen sections).

I'll try and be more careful with the BP near my eyebrows then (not that I'd mind lighter brows haha) I've just been finding it strange that I haven't noticed bleaching yet with the amount of BP I'm using. But I guess that's a good thing too :)

#59 wombat666

wombat666

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

I don't have actual AHA so I think I'll wait a bit longer before trying the product I have... The product I bought has AHA and BHA so I'll have to be careful when I try it because it's adding in another ingredient. It could be too much but I'll try it anyway. When I was buying the other stuff to start the regimen, I sort of bought this product on impulse because it has AHA and normally retails around $50 and it was on sale for $20... bargain! tongue.png It says it fades acne scarring so I'll give it a shot at some point anyway

Good to know the AHA seems to be fading things gradually for you!

>Omg, previously when I was using a large amount of BP I'd put a lot on my forehead and it would all run into my eyebrows, there's little lighter now, lol, but I can use the excuse "my hair goes fairer in the summer".

I think me and you get acne around the same areas, my forehead is clear(ish) but my cheeks and chin aren't. You're really inspiring me to keep carrying on, even when my skin looks horrible right now. Thank you smile.png

Wow - that really means a lot smile.png Glad I'm encouraging someone through this log!

It's nice to have this little regimen community of people who have just started the regimen and who have had the regimen work for them already - everyone can support and help eachother - which is something I love about these forums in general (not just the regimen sections).

I'll try and be more careful with the BP near my eyebrows then (not that I'd mind lighter brows haha) I've just been finding it strange that I haven't noticed bleaching yet with the amount of BP I'm using. But I guess that's a good thing too smile.png

BP has never bleached my hair, which is strange because I don't really bother avoiding my eyebrows or my hairline when I apply it, but it has made plenty of clothes turn orange-ish around the collars.

My log

Month 9 - 20mg

#60 Lilly75

Lilly75

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

BP has never bleached my hair, which is strange because I don't really bother avoiding my eyebrows or my hairline when I apply it, but it has made plenty of clothes turn orange-ish around the collars.

I've had that happen to towels mainly... which is weird because I'm not getting the actual product on them - just 'residue' after washing my my face or hands...

And haven't seen any bleaching yet... I'm sure I'll see it soon enough (not that I want to, but I guess it's inevitable :P)

I've had that happen to towels mainly... which is weird because I'm not getting the actual product on them - just 'residue' after washing my my face or hands...

And haven't seen any bleaching yet... I'm sure I'll see it soon enough (not that I want to, but I guess it's inevitable tongue.png)

Day 18

Seems like the redness is calming down. Hopefully for good this time because I'm at a full fingers length of BP at night now and nearly that much in the morning. Judging by Dan's pics of BP dosage for the tube he sells, 1 fingers length of BP is the full amount - so I won't be increasing my BP past that unless I'm not seeing any results. 

Dryness is getting worse all over now though... It had been mainly around my chin and mouth but I've noticed some flaking between my eyebrows and on my cheeks this morning. Time for even more jojoba I guess :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users