Photo

Has Acne Put Your Life On Hold? And If So, When Will You Start Living Again?

9 replies to this topic

#1 John457

John457

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

I know it's pathetic but every major life decision I have ever made has been a result of my acne. I am a slave to my acne. I chose my college on the basis that it was close to home, close to my primary support system, close to my safety net, and close to my dermatologists. For the past 5 years, I have chosen to live a largely secluded and unencumbered lifestyle as a result of my acne. I have never seriously considered pursuing meaningful or romantic relationships because I am too preoccupied with and discouraged by my acne. So much of masculine prowess is about exhibiting confidence but acne entirety strips one of any confidence. I cannot realistically pursue romantic endeavors when I am totally and utterly unconfident. I am only ashamed, repulsed, and uninterested.

Like many acne sufferers, I suspect, deep down I am a perfectionist and I will not stop in my pursuit towards a cure until I have attained flawlessly and immaculately clear skin, however unrealistic that may be. There are many things I want out of life but first and foremost - always - it is my skin.

My pain is constant and sharp, and to quote one of my favorite authors, I believe, more than ever in our current world especially, "the better you look, the more you see." Thus, acne is a debilitating and self-limiting condition. I do not know when I will live again but I know that it will never be when my skin is imperfect.

Edited by John457, 30 June 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#2 skdody

skdody

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

I am currently battling with hyperpigmentation marks. I still break out but it's not as bad as it used to be. However, all these red and brown marks left behind 6 years of acne does not make it any better. Currently, I dont go out much because if I do go out and have fun, get a drink, eat a slice of pizza, I end up breaking out and I dont want anymore pigmentations. My parents think I am a failure and tell me that I am crazy and I should just forget about acne because it will go away when I get older. But the funny thing is I just can't forget about it and give up. I just can't accept it. So yes, acne has put my life on hold. I honestly don't know when I will be able to live and enjoy my life again but as long as I don't give up and keep fighting, I believe that the time will come.

#3 Sunsetismellow

Sunsetismellow

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

I feel the same way sadly my acne has taken over my life even has made me feel even
More depressed it has made me feel so low that i refuse to even go out like i used to . It has come in between my relashionship with my family because they can tell it has effected me in a big way. I feel not like myself anymore.... I keep looking back at old pictures of myself and just burst out crying just thinking how much more confident i was back then.. :/

#4 sorbet

sorbet

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:photography, reading, running, art, music, cooking

Achievements

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

While my acne has only ever been mild/moderate, it has negatively influenced my life. It contributed to my anxiety/depression which started about four years ago, and probably made it worse. I've felt like my life's been on hold since I was 17.

I didn't go out, secluded myself from friends and threw myself into uni work. I learnt to keep my head down and interact with people as little as possible, and my depression got so bad I was seriously considering doing something drastic/running away. I am thankful that I'm not in that headspace anymore as I decided I needed to do something, and had counselling etc., but I still have habits left over from my anxiety, like not being able to maintain eye contact, and I know people think I'm being rude/a snob because of it. 

#5 Mandarine

Mandarine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:41 AM

I know it's pathetic but every major life decision I have ever made has been a result of my acne. I am a slave to my acne.

I'm a slave too. My social life is my acne's varlet.

#6 FreeOneDay

FreeOneDay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:50 AM

I'm putting off marrying my boyfriend coz of my acne! Now that is some crazy shit *sigh*

#7 NatureBod

NatureBod

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:outdoors, its a big list

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:21 AM

I myself feel the same way as most of you! I started back when was in school senior or junior year. I had it pretty bad it was totally hormonal for me because when I was younger it was there or not as prevalent. I live me life as normal as possible until I started using drugs to cope and feel better or fit in.. That went on for a while but I had to get out as I do t do needles and I didn't like my life as it was. My acne was a great cause of Anxiety and depression, that I talk with a family counselor and a psychiatrist for medication. I have been on a few and know what worked and didn't. Never went out much during only when felt Fresh enough. Any way I took years of talking to get out and about and get rid of bad thoughts(suicide) to live the life I have been given. My face got much much better thanks to Daniel Kern!!! I read stories to find out I'm not crazy and people understand Exactly how I feel. With time I have been going out enjoying life meeting gris and some dating, though I must admit I'm still a virgin because of acne. Anyway I am drug free all drugs and out haveing fun my face breaks out on occasions due to foods or not being Consitant with the system. I have been able to reduce the amount used and use a little through out the day if I break out or feel it coming.

#8 Quetzlcoatl

Quetzlcoatl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:09 AM

Yes, I'm a slave too. I'll be free once the acne is gone enough for me to look normal, and not a day sooner. It's terrible to have that feeling of being on top of the world, and then getting ripped down into this pock-marked underworld. I wish I could just not care...but I can't, having had perfect skin, and now this...

#9 CookieJ

CookieJ

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Maths, Climbing, Gymnastics, Film, Music

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

It's always "I'll do X once my skin is clear".

#10 maria199

maria199

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Medicine, Physics-Chemistry-Maths, gardening

Achievements

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:41 AM

i am afraid to eat, i want to buy some things but i am afraid to go out of my house, i watch my younger! sisters eat whatever crap gets in their mind with neglectable acne, when i see something new i put everything i can think resulting to burnt skin which is uncoverable by make up... I will start living again when my acne is coverable or better, cured..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users