3 replies to this topic

#1 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

I did the 23andme.com DNA test which tests for a range of inherited health conditons (as well as estimates your ancestry composition, which wasn't as interesting but whatever). 

Thought you all might be interested because there are DNA markers for

- lactose intolerance

- fructose intolerance

- hemochromatosis (people with these markers are more at risk for iron overload because they metabolize iron differently, there are also theories that people with this mutation handle starchy grainy diets better than people without the mutation)

- anemia

- glycogen storage disease types 1a and 1b

- maple syrup urine disease (inability to break down certain amino acids)

- primary hyperoxaluria (risk of buildup of harmful oxolates, individuals must avoid foods rich in oxolates such as chocolate, spinach, starfruit, and others)

- phenyketonuria (inability to metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine)

- MCAD deficiency (trouble breaking down food from fat and stored fat, causing lethargy)

- beta thelassemia (another type of anemia issue)

- whether you are a slow or fast metabolizer of caffeine

- if you are sensitive to blood thinning drugs such as aspirin, NSAIDs, warfarin

- whether you have a positive or negative response to drugs that control blood sugar in diabetics such as Metformin

and many more

It also tests for a lot of more serious things like the BRCA1&2 genes (breast cancer mutation), Alzheimer's and such. Though it won't show you those results unless you "unlock" them, guess some people don't want to know. 

They're doing a summer discount deal for $99. It used to cost $300 or so. They can do the DNA stuff completely off your spit. They mail you a kit that you spit into and mail back.

Edited by Green Gables, 24 June 2013 - 08:44 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#2 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

How can they do this just off of our spit??

I did the 23andme.com DNA test which tests for a range of inherited health conditons (as well as estimates your ancestry composition, which wasn't as interesting but whatever). 

Thought you all might be interested because there are DNA markers for

- lactose intolerance

- fructose intolerance

- hemochromatosis (people with these markers are more at risk for iron overload because they metabolize iron differently, there are also theories that people with this mutation handle starchy grainy diets better than people without the mutation)

- anemia

- glycogen storage disease types 1a and 1b

- maple syrup urine disease (inability to break down certain amino acids)

- primary hyperoxaluria (risk of buildup of harmful oxolates, individuals must avoid foods rich in oxolates such as chocolate, spinach, starfruit, and others)

- phenyketonuria (inability to metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine)

- MCAD deficiency (trouble breaking down food from fat and stored fat, causing lethargy)

- beta thelassemia (another type of anemia issue)

- whether you are a slow or fast metabolizer of caffeine

- if you are sensitive to blood thinning drugs such as aspirin, NSAIDs, warfarin

- whether you have a positive or negative response to drugs that control blood sugar in diabetics such as Metformin

and many more

It also tests for a lot of more serious things like the BRCA1&2 genes (breast cancer mutation), Alzheimer's and such. Though it won't show you those results unless you "unlock" them, guess some people don't want to know. 

They're doing a summer discount deal for $99. It used to cost $300 or so. They can do the DNA stuff completely off your spit. They mail you a kit that you spit into and mail back.

Any of the results similar to this one:

http://www.acne.org/...-results/page-2

#3 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

I would recommend going to their FAQs, they have more than enough info for you. I have no idea about Singulex, you can compare that for yourself.

Edited by Green Gables, 24 June 2013 - 10:05 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

I would also recommend that if you do this you also look into epigenetics and how your genes are not the dictators of your health as was believed prior to the genome mapping project. http://www.acne.org/...__fromsearch__1

Edited by alternativista, 25 June 2013 - 06:31 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users