Photo

Oil Cleansing Method - Ruined My Skin And Now I Can't Fix It No Matter What I Do! Please Help!

oil cleansing method natural acne treatment severe acne acne natural oil oily

87 replies to this topic

#81 dscully

dscully

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:16 PM

I did the OCM for quite a while using grapeseed oil, and it worked beautifully. However, I decided to switch to coconut oil and it worked even MORE beautifully, at least at first. Then it started breaking me out like crazy with no end in sight. I at first had just clogged pores and no inflammation, which turned into a face full of inflammed breakouts pretty quickly. I think some oils are more likely to clog pores than others. Olive oil is pretty bad for use on the face, and using too much castor oil can irritate your skin if it's not cut with a lighter carrier oil. I've had great luck using just grapeseed oil for 5 days and using a AHA cleanser on the weekends. Took months to finally clear up the coconut oil breakouts though. I think it clogged every pore on my face, so turning them ALL over took forever.

I should also note that I've cut out sugar, dairy and most grain entirely since I've found my acne to be food related (at least the inflammation part). Clogged pores are from something getting in your pore and getting stuck, but an inflammatory response (juicy zits) is almost certainly diet-related. Just my two cents. I completely feel for anyone who had a normal face that suddenly turned on them. I didn't work out for weeks just because my skin literally hurt when I sweat. It was hugely traumatic and I still have dreams in which I have messed-up skin, and I wake up and I look fine and I'm like WHEEEEEW... still keeping fingers crossed that I'm clear again for good.

#82 Sirius Lee

Sirius Lee

Slurper

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:17 PM

Of the four oils you mentioned, coconut oil is definitely comedogenic and I would avoid using it on face unless you suffer from eczema or psoriasis. As far as the viscosity is concerned, the grape seed oil is the lightest of the bunch. Its absorption rate into the skin should be quite quick and, technically, it shouldn't clog the pores. I have been using this oil for many years and had no major problem. Next up is the olive oil, which I do think is good for your face, especially if you suffer from dry skin. Coconut oil requires a pause because it is hard to classify. It ain't thick but, unlike the others, it's very greasy and it takes forever to get absorbed. Finally, the castor oil, which is my personal favorite. I wear this oil to bed every night... well, almost every night. This oil has a healing effect and it's known to loosen the scar tissues. It does have a drying effect when used for a prolonged period, creating some minor wrinkles. Hence its ideal to take a break to allow the skin to firm up.

I'm sorry to hear about the adverse reactions you encountered with these oils. Of course, I understand that everyone reacts differently but the side effects, if any, should have been minimal. Have you used the oils in their pure form or were any of them diluted with other cosmetics?

#83 dscully

dscully

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Of the four oils you mentioned, coconut oil is definitely comedogenic and I would avoid using it on face unless you suffer from eczema or psoriasis. As far as the viscosity is concerned, the grape seed oil is the lightest of the bunch. Its absorption rate into the skin should be quite quick and, technically, it shouldn't clog the pores. I have been using this oil for many years and had no major problem. Next up is the olive oil, which I do think is good for your face, especially if you suffer from dry skin. Coconut oil requires a pause because it is hard to classify. It ain't thick but, unlike the others, it's very greasy and it takes forever to get absorbed. Finally, the castor oil, which is my personal favorite. I wear this oil to bed every night... well, almost every night. This oil has a healing effect and it's known to loosen the scar tissues. It does have a drying effect when used for a prolonged period, creating some minor wrinkles. Hence its ideal to take a break to allow the skin to firm up.

I'm sorry to hear about the adverse reactions you encountered with these oils. Of course, I understand that everyone reacts differently but the side effects, if any, should have been minimal. Have you used the oils in their pure form or were any of them diluted with other cosmetics?

I love love love castor oil, but I just can't use it by itself. My current facewash oil has grapeseed oil mostly, but is about 1/4 castor oil. I find Castor Oil to be drying when I use it by itself, but I have heard that some people can use it straight with great results. Overall, I have relied more on diet than topicals to clear up my skin, as I was never fully satisfied unless my results could be replicated on a desert island without drugstores and pimple creams, etc. I still use oils to clean my skin because I feel that most cleansers are pretty harsh, but at this point, it doesn't much matter what I put on my face (unless it's coconut oil HISSSSSSS). I was always using pure oils, but the olive oil was not organic, so maybe that was it. It was extra virgin, though. The coconut oil was extra virgin and organic, so I guess coconut oil is just a nono for the face, which is interesting. Honestly when it was working, it make my skin feel so amazing. It's a shame it broke me out so badly :-(

#84 Sirius Lee

Sirius Lee

Slurper

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

Yes, Castor oil does tend to make the skin a bit dry, especially after a prolonged use. Hence it's ideal to take time off after a week or two of usage. I personally use CO for about 5 days (eg. weekdays) and take 2 days off (eg. weekend). There are times when I also find CO to be little too thick. I would then dilute it with either grape seed oil or avocado oil.

If these oils are not working out for you, you might want to check out Shea Butter. This is another one on my list of all-time favorites that I absolutely love and have used it for years with much success. It's worth knowing that Shea Butter is used in just about all cosmetic products. Hmm, I wonder why? :)

#85 cah123

cah123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

I wrote a blog post about my horrific experience with the OCM here: http://sheephishlysi...-my-roller.html  

For me, it gave me glowing skin for a few months then I broke out in the worst cystic acne of my life. It took months to get rid of and everything I tried seemed to not really help. I found the only way to really help was to try get my skin in balance. Ultrabland by lush is hailed as a brilliant product for doing that but for me I just washed with honey, day and night, and moisturised with jojoba and my skin was finally back to normal several months later. I really sympathise with you all as I know how horrendous it is and it literally left my skin so scarred! I've found vitamin d3 and using simple and natural products as the only way to make a big difference to my skin. And i agree, the aztec healing clay mask is amazing, I use it once a week which is making a big difference to my clogged skin.

#86 rakiebakie

rakiebakie

Cute ^^

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:52 AM

I have to say since starting with Lymecyline, and Duac (benzyclin) my skin is so much clearer. My chin area is pretty much acne free, bar some scarring. Even the blackheads around my chin are nearly gone. I still have 4-5 spots at any one time but it's an improvement. My doctor said he might put me on dianette but that's a bit more complicated. I'll give you an update once I have finished the antibiotics. To see such improvement after 5 weeks is very encouraging though :)

#87 kstern119

kstern119

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

SMarie23, am in the exact situation as you were. I used proactive for years and it did work for me but decided to try a more natural organic OCM. It ruined my skin so bad. I also have the coworkers who like to ask "what happened to you face".....makes me want to cry.  I've now been back on proactive for a month with not much improvement at all.  I was wondering if proactive eventually started working for you again?  Thank you so much, Katie

#88 rakiebakie

rakiebakie

Cute ^^

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

After 4 months on Lymecycline and Duac I am finally 100% clear. Best thing you can do if you had issues on the ocm is to stop using it and head straight to your doctors. It takes ages but you will get there eventually!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users