Photo

At My Wits' End...

moderate doxycycline stubborn red marks sensitive irritation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 sam1w2e

sam1w2e

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'm on the verge of losing all hope in regards to my acne, just feel like crawling under a rock. I just can't seem to find a regimen that works for me.

I've tried so many things, some natural remedies, some not. I'm just fed up of spending all this money on treatments to not see much improvement if any. I've tried the caveman regimen but after a couple of months it had made things worse if anything.

I change my pillowcase every couple of nights and I don't have long hair that's in my face.

My diet is fairly good, could be a bit better but could be far worse. 

About my skin:

-It's fairly sensitive

-Oily most of the time but can get easily dried out if I use the wrong product 

-Main problem areas are my jawline, chin and cheeks

-Red marks on my jawline and cheeks from previous acne

I'm currently on yet another course of Doxycycline after seeing my GP. I was on Doxycycline for around a year (two six month courses with a bit of a gap in between). That course ended about a year ago and managed to clear me up fairly well but this time I don't feel it's having as much of an effect and I'm currently about 3 and half months through a 6 month course.

My current routine is wash face with warm water morning and night and I've recently been using this overnight serum with Mandelic Acid since I've heard good things about it. I've been using it every night but might reduce it to every other night due to slight irritation. It's still early days with this but I'm not feeling totally convinced it will work that well.

I don't like washing my face with cleansers anymore because they either dry out my skin or irritate it. And I don't want to end up having to use a moisturizer because all of them I've tried just seem to make my acne worse, even jojoba oil! 

I've been thinking about asking my GP about Accutane but I don't think my acne is quite severe enough for that (I'd say it's moderate/mild at times). 

I just can't seem to find anything to stop this stubborn acne, any suggestions? cry.gif

#2 Vanessa2002

Vanessa2002

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

I have mild acne too and I will go on accutane in September. I decided on accutane, because I read many blogs from users on this website, who had gone on a low course for mild acne/oily skin and were very happy with it. Also many say it's the only thing that really worked for them.

You have already tried out more than I did. All I tried so far was apple cider vinegar and a fruit acid peeling, both to no avail.

Since your acne is mild you won't need a high dose (I'll take 10mg).

If Doxycycline won't work for you, you should definitely give it a try.

#3 cara97

cara97

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hi,

It seems I've found someone else with EXACTLY the same problem as me! I was on Doxycycline for a year as well, as well as a cream containing Benzoyl Peroxide 5% called 'Retrieve'.. And that seemed to make it go down a little for a couple of months last June/July- But then soon came back, even on medication. But this year I went abroad, and went off the medication completely, and my acne has gotten SO bad around my cheeks, jaw and chin- I've tried so many products, creams, washes, toners, scrubs- I even used to try using baking soda or oatmeal scrubs- nothing would work.. Exercise, diet, the works- nothing helps!

I'm almost at my wits end- I'm sixteen years old, and I've had this for nearly two years now. I was on Skype to my family back in my home country today and just cried and cried about it. I have no idea what to do- I wish I could help you, but I have nothing.. Just know that I am going through exactly the same thing, and I know how stressed, depressed, upset and angry it makes you... 

#4 sam1w2e

sam1w2e

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hi,

I have mild acne too and I will go on accutane in September. I decided on accutane, because I read many blogs from users on this website, who had gone on a low course for mild acne/oily skin and were very happy with it. Also many say it's the only thing that really worked for them.

You have already tried out more than I did. All I tried so far was apple cider vinegar and a fruit acid peeling, both to no avail.

Since your acne is mild you won't need a high dose (I'll take 10mg).

If Doxycycline won't work for you, you should definitely give it a try.

To be honest I would like to try Accutane and taking a low dose sounds like a good idea - haven't heard much about different dosages until now. My GP said it was a bit of a last resort type thing, so I might have to convince him a bit to let me go on it.

Can I ask, did you see a dermatologist or just a regular GP about going on Accutane?

Hi,

It seems I've found someone else with EXACTLY the same problem as me! I was on Doxycycline for a year as well, as well as a cream containing Benzoyl Peroxide 5% called 'Retrieve'.. And that seemed to make it go down a little for a couple of months last June/July- But then soon came back, even on medication. But this year I went abroad, and went off the medication completely, and my acne has gotten SO bad around my cheeks, jaw and chin- I've tried so many products, creams, washes, toners, scrubs- I even used to try using baking soda or oatmeal scrubs- nothing would work.. Exercise, diet, the works- nothing helps!

I'm almost at my wits end- I'm sixteen years old, and I've had this for nearly two years now. I was on Skype to my family back in my home country today and just cried and cried about it. I have no idea what to do- I wish I could help you, but I have nothing.. Just know that I am going through exactly the same thing, and I know how stressed, depressed, upset and angry it makes you... 

I think being on doxycycline has made it worse than before i went on it in all honesty. When I went on it initially I was only breaking out on my chin and around my nose, never on my cheeks or sides of my face, but now I break out all over. That might not be due to the Doxycycline but I think it might be. 

Sucks to hear that you're in the same boat as me! But at the same time its slightly reassuring to know I'm not the only one going through it. I mean I'm 18 and I really feel like this is holding me back more so than ever before so I know how you must be feeling about it as well :/

But Vanessa2002 made a good suggestion above about taking a low does of Accutane. I don't know where you live so I don't know how easy or expensive it would be for you but you might want to look into it if nothing is working for your acne like me.

#5 cara97

cara97

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hi again :)

I'm living in Sweden, but I'm from Australia- my sister from Aus came to visit me, and she bought me the doxycycline tablets i'd left at home, but there was only about twenty- i took them for about two weeks and then gave up again because they take so long to even show any results, and i didn't have enough for that!

Yep, it definitely holds you back!

I want to chat with a doctor about it, but doctors here sometimes don't speak english so well- I Skyped my australian mother this morning about it, and we talked about the possibility of Accutane- but I also have Celiac disease (gluten) so we're not sure how safe it will be-

but i'm so over my skin that I'm willing to put up with potential nosebleeds, joint pain, etc i think....
I'm just wondering if my GP here can automatically put me on Accutane? Because otherwise it will take SO long to get into a dermatologist here!

#6 sam1w2e

sam1w2e

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

Hi again smile.png

I'm living in Sweden, but I'm from Australia- my sister from Aus came to visit me, and she bought me the doxycycline tablets i'd left at home, but there was only about twenty- i took them for about two weeks and then gave up again because they take so long to even show any results, and i didn't have enough for that!

I want to chat with a doctor about it, but doctors here sometimes don't speak english so well- I Skyped my australian mother this morning about it, and we talked about the possibility of Accutane- but I also have Celiac disease (gluten) so we're not sure how safe it will be-

but i'm so over my skin that I'm willing to put up with potential nosebleeds, joint pain, etc i think....
I'm just wondering if my GP here can automatically put me on Accutane? Because otherwise it will take SO long to get into a dermatologist here!

Hi smile.png

I can see how it might be difficult to find a doctor you can have a good discussion with about this, but it would be worth having a good search for one who maybe can speak English fluently. I'm not too familiar with that, but have you searched the internet to see if it's possible to take it with Celiac disease? 

Yeah I know what you mean, as long as the side effects aren't too severe I'd be more than willing to put up with them if it means getting rid of this acne! 

I think it would depend. I don't think it HAS to be prescribed by a dermatologist, so as long as you make your case clear with your GP they might be willing to give it to you. However if I recall I do think you have to get a blood test and maybe some others too to see if you can take it or not. So it might not be straight away that you get it.

#7 cara97

cara97

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

Hmm... I've googled heaps about Celiac and Accutane, and I've heard that Accutane can cause Celiac Disease, but that's not a problem of mine because I already have it haha..

Ugh blood tests.. I'm not sure how they do things here in Sweden, and I hope they know what Accutane is- I google translated it, because some things have funny foreign names, but Accutane is Accutane in Swedish! I've had problems with GPs here before because I haven't spoken up when they've said nothing was wrong with me (I've battled severe stomach pains since I arrived here!) so I think you're right.. I might have a better shot with a GP if I make it really clear that I've tried everything and this is the last resort!

#8 sam1w2e

sam1w2e

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Hmm... I've googled heaps about Celiac and Accutane, and I've heard that Accutane can cause Celiac Disease, but that's not a problem of mine because I already have it haha..

Ugh blood tests.. I'm not sure how they do things here in Sweden, and I hope they know what Accutane is- I google translated it, because some things have funny foreign names, but Accutane is Accutane in Swedish! I've had problems with GPs here before because I haven't spoken up when they've said nothing was wrong with me (I've battled severe stomach pains since I arrived here!) so I think you're right.. I might have a better shot with a GP if I make it really clear that I've tried everything and this is the last resort!

Haha good point tongue.png I'm sorry to hear about your stomach pains! It sounds like it might be a bit harder for you what with the slight language barrier and all but I mean at the end of the day they're there to help you so you should make it clear what's wrong.

Also I'm sorry but I can't help myself asking, but why did you move to Sweden from Australia? I've just been wondering ever since you mentioned it wiggle.gif

#9 cara97

cara97

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

It's okay, I'm learning to deal with stomach pains and all... I heard being gluten-free has cleared up acne on a lot of people, but unfortunately not in my case!

I'm an exchange student actually! I've been here for five months and I'm here for another 6-7 before I go back home banana.gif

#10 Vanessa2002

Vanessa2002

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

To be honest I would like to try Accutane and taking a low dose sounds like a good idea - haven't heard much about different dosages until now. My GP said it was a bit of a last resort type thing, so I might have to convince him a bit to let me go on it.

Can I ask, did you see a dermatologist or just a regular GP about going on Accutane?

Originally the rule for taking accutane was, 1mg per kg body weight. I don't know how you do it in the US, since you use pounds, not kg.

For me that would mean a dosage of 55mg per day. But over the last years it has been discovered that people with mild acne/oily skin go well with taking lower doses, like 10mg or 20mg. I would never take 55mg, that would be too much for me.

At first I asked my old derm about it, who refused to give it to me, cause for her accutane was a last resort type thing too and only for people with severe acne.

I then made an appointment with a new derm, and she agreed to it right away and said she had treated lots of people with a low dose already.

#11 sam1w2e

sam1w2e

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

It's okay, I'm learning to deal with stomach pains and all... I heard being gluten-free has cleared up acne on a lot of people, but unfortunately not in my case!

I'm an exchange student actually! I've been here for five months and I'm here for another 6-7 before I go back home banana.gif

Hmm having a similar experience in a way except I get pain in my leg (physiotherapy didn't help either)... I haven't tried that, but all my previous diet changes haven't shown results so now I just say screw it and eat what I want eusa_dance.gif

Wow that sounds great! biggrin.png Wish I had done something like that at 16! 

Originally the rule for taking accutane was, 1mg per kg body weight. I don't know how you do it in the US, since you use pounds, not kg.

For me that would mean a dosage of 55mg per day. But over the last years it has been discovered that people with mild acne/oily skin go well with taking lower doses, like 10mg or 20mg. I would never take 55mg, that would be too much for me.

At first I asked my old derm about it, who refused to give it to me, cause for her accutane was a last resort type thing too and only for people with severe acne.

I then made an appointment with a new derm, and she agreed to it right away and said she had treated lots of people with a low dose already.

I wouldn't know about pounds either since I'm in the UK rolleyes.gif

That's the thing I think will be hardest, because my GP sounds just like your old derm because he said it was a last resort for severe cases, which makes me think he won't be willing to give it to me... 

Also do you have to be referred to a derm by your GP or can you just book an appointment to see one?

#12 Vanessa2002

Vanessa2002

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

Hi again smile.png

Really? I always thought the Swedish are good at speaking English. But aren't you good at speaking Swedish when you've lived there for 5 months?

Oh, you're from the UK. Most users on this website are from the US, that's why I automatically assumed that. Do you guys use kg, too?

I don't have to be referred by my GP. I can choose my doctors myself, luckily. I picked the new derm because she had very good reviews on the internet.

#13 sam1w2e

sam1w2e

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Haha that's okay and yeah mostly use kg over here. See im not so sure it works like that here; although im not 100% sure but I think to see a dermatologist on the NHS (which is free) you have to get referred by your GP. But I think you can go private without the referral; although that would cost money.

#14 Vanessa2002

Vanessa2002

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

Maybe you don't have to tell the GP you want to be transferred because you are determined to take accutane, but because you want to hear a derm's opinion which treatment is the best for you. After all a GP can never know as much about skin and acne as a real derm, can he?

#15 cara97

cara97

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

Hi again smile.png

Really? I always thought the Swedish are good at speaking English. But aren't you good at speaking Swedish when you've lived there for 5 months?

Oh, you're from the UK. Most users on this website are from the US, that's why I automatically assumed that. Do you guys use kg, too?

I don't have to be referred by my GP. I can choose my doctors myself, luckily. I picked the new derm because she had very good reviews on the internet.

Yes, but i've just had so many experiences with doctors here who use different terms for words i thought were the same in english and swedish, and I don't know so much swedish to be able to have a full medical conference with my GP..!