Photo

Every Moisturizer I Have Ever Used Gives Me Pimples...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 tippa

tippa

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Hello,

i am new to the forum but have adult acne and struggle since going off birth control.  I am surprised at the recommendations for some of the oils because of some of the guides I reference state a lot of oils cause acne.

Here is one good list and this website gives information about how fabric softener, food additives, cosmetics, etc. can aggravate acne:

http://www.skinfitau...n-care-products

this one says the only safe oils are: Fragrance-free sunflower oil, safflower oil, and mineral oil.

Here's another list:

http://www.sageskinc...cles.asp?ID=255

I'm sorry if this is repeated info.  Again, i am new.  Awhile back I purchased Dan's cleanser and still use his BP but was doing very well on YAZ birth control.  Now going off I've struggled horribly with acne and oily skin.

#22 JohnH

JohnH

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

Oils and butters on the skin are comedogenic. They block pores and cause hairs to grow inward.

This sort of blanket statement is simply not true. Many oils are noncomedogenic, much less so than most cream moisturizers filled with emulsifiers, sulfates, and parabens that are much more likely to clog pores, especially oil-free ones that use water and waxes instead of oils. Besides, just because a product claims to be noncomedogenic (which most do now) does not mean that it actually is so; it is just a widely abused, unregulated marketing term.

#23 Celticghirl

Celticghirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

Oils and butters on the skin are comedogenic. They block pores and cause hairs to grow inward.

This sort of blanket statement is simply not true.

I've been told this by 3 dermatologists over the years. I've been following this and I get less ingrown hairs / blocked follicles etc I use urea based moisturisers now. I always go for paraben free. My fave is "la Roche-posay, iso urea lait" it really helps heal things up a bit faster.

#24 thaxceptional1

thaxceptional1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

Oils and butters on the skin are comedogenic. They block pores and cause hairs to grow inward. Choose a non comedogenic moisturiser. 

http://moisturizerex...ic-moisturizer/

bullshit article.  i used neutrogena for men and it gave me acne.  tired of these articles that think they know everyones skin type.

#25 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

comedogenic is term thats greatly subjective.

so almost nothing is BS and almost nothing can be claimed with guarantee.

#26 Celticghirl

Celticghirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

Oils and butters on the skin are comedogenic. They block pores and cause hairs to grow inward. Choose a non comedogenic moisturiser. 

http://moisturizerex...ic-moisturizer/

bullshit article.  i used neutrogena for men and it gave me acne.  tired of these articles that think they know everyones skin type.

Have you ever thought that you might simply be allergic to some ingredients? I had an allergy test and my skin flared up with a lot if stuff. There's so much crap in products now. I tried Estée Lauder oil free moisturiser. It says it was "non acnegenic" I broke out. Turns out one of the ingredients was on my avoid list. thankfully Estee Lauder will accept returns on even used products. Non-acnegenic is meant to mean it does not cause or promote acne. Non-comedogenic shouldn't cause or promote comedones (blackheads). I think acne prone skin is more fragile than even sensitive skin. I know mine is after years of strong creams and medications.

#27 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

You could always use your own mixture of glycerin and water, which is what people used to moisturize with "in the old days" before we became reliant on pre-made products in pretty packaging off a store shelf. 

Glycerin and water...can't really get much simpler than that. 

#28 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

You could always use your own mixture of glycerin and water, which is what people used to moisturize with "in the old days" before we became reliant on pre-made products in pretty packaging off a store shelf. 

Glycerin and water...can't really get much simpler than that. 

my mum uses glycerin and water(to dilute the thick solution) and i have tried using it.

i am still not sure if it works for me.

i cant guarantee it gave me whiteheads but i was suspicious the last time i tried on one part of my face.

when winter comes i might try a patch test once again.

as for summer,living in a tropical country thats hot and humid needs no moisturiser.(at least not on the face)

#29 kevindreed

kevindreed

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

Same for me. The only moisturizer that works for me is cetaphil.