spironolactone spiro

26 replies to this topic

#21 Marissa87

Marissa87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:01 AM

A quick question about the initial breakout (IB) some people have been experiencing with Spiro...

Is the IB a reaction to the change or do you think it is just your body purging (as a result of the change) what was already on the verge of coming out anyway? Just wondering if anyone have heard anything from their derm about this or if they happen to know.

I've been on it for about a week and a half. I wouldn't call it an IB but there has been no change for better or worse. Just old ones VERY SLOWLY healing and new ones popping up here and there.

Thanks!

#22 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

A quick question about the initial breakout (IB) some people have been experiencing with Spiro...

Is the IB a reaction to the change or do you think it is just your body purging (as a result of the change) what was already on the verge of coming out anyway? Just wondering if anyone have heard anything from their derm about this or if they happen to know.

I've been on it for about a week and a half. I wouldn't call it an IB but there has been no change for better or worse. Just old ones VERY SLOWLY healing and new ones popping up here and there.

Thanks!

For some, any hormonal change (even a good one) can both speed up the release of old zits and also cause a few new ones until the hormones stabilize. 

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#23 Marissa87

Marissa87

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks!

For some, any hormonal change (even a good one) can both speed up the release of old zits and also cause a few new ones until the hormones stabilize. 

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I welcome an IB if it means its getting all the junk built up under my skin out. Hopefully it won't last much longer :)

#24 kennah

kennah

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Since you seem to know your stuff what would you recommend to the following. In January, I got Pityriasis Rosea which is a rare skin condition. They are not sure what causes it but may be hormonal. Consists of a gross rash and being sick for about two months. When I started to feel better and rash disappeared, my acne started to come back after being 99 percent clear for last the six years taking spironloctone, birth control pill, and Retin a at night. I was taking 100mg at night. With my acne coming back, I panicked and have been cutting my pills and taking 25 mg in the am and 100 at night still. I called my derm and he wants me to to back to 100 and take minocycline. I've never had much luck with mild antibiotics in the past and don't love the idea of long term antibiotics. So I've kept up,with my 25 in the am and 100 in the pm the last three weeks. Along with the bc and retin a. I'm still getting the small white bumps in t zone. Mostly on chin but some around nose. I am feeling so much better re sickness. So Im wondering if the bumps may be from increasing the dose and thinking maybe go back to 100. I read you said better to take morning and afternoon. So thinking 50 in the am and 50 at 3. Thoughts???

#25 Emily54

Emily54

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'm really curious what my brand is but all I see on my bottle is Teva-Spironolactone. I googled "Teva" but couldn't determine if it was brand name or generic. Perhaps labelling is different in Canada. Anyone know?

Brenmc, not sure you are still interested but I just started Spiro and mine is a peach coloured pill with an N on it and my bottle says Teva-Spironolactone.  The pills are individually packaged in the bottle and on the back of the pill pack it says "Novo-Spiroton (Spironolactone)".  I am taking 25mg.

#26 freshair86

freshair86

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:47 AM

Spironolactone works if you have hormonal imbalances or pcos.
If you don't have symptoms like irregular periods,absent periods, irsutism, Clear tendency to gain weight or obesity, high dhea and testosterone You'd better think twice before starting it.
I got my periods every two weeks, my mild acne was almost unaffected, even if after 10 months it got better but the improvement lasted just for 6 months and I think it had nothing to do with this drug.
What is more, your skin will dry up if you are on 100 mg.
I developed scars I've never had before in 12 years of mild acne and the reasons is that dry skin isn't able to repair itself as normal or oily skin. Even the smallest pimples leave scars and some scars appeared where I had no Acne at all.
Moreover this is no real cure for acne because as soon as you stop it, even if it works, you will get your acne back.
It won't do anything to comedones aka clogged pores, so you'll need to exfoliate anyway, but then you will have dry skin and any kind of exfoliators would be took harsh.
Personally I was diagnosed with pcos but later discovered that the doctor was wrong and I don't have pcos at all, so be careful if you don't have any evident symptoms. Acne alone is not to be related to hormonal imbalances/ pcos.
Taking this drug and listening to that doctor was one of the worst mistake I've ever made.
I'M considering visiting a lawyer since the damages on my skin cause me psicological issues, my acne problem wasn't fixed and the diagnose was totally wrong

#27 lifelong confusion

lifelong confusion

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:40 AM

Has anyone experienced sore throat on Spiro? I haven't found a lot of results online. I've been on Yaz for 11 months now and tried spiro only to get weird numbness/soreness in my throat. It says I'm supposed to stop it if that happens, but I don't know what else to do. Today I broke out again and got desperate and took the pill anyway. I'm wondering if the side effect is just dryness due to the fact that spiro is a duretic, though i did feel like it was numb as well, so i'm not sure. I still break out and I'm seriously sick and tired of it to the point i don't even care if i'm putting myself in danger, i just want this to be over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users