Green Gables

Good & Bad Birth Control Pills And Implants For Acne

90 posts in this topic

I've heard the best for acne are either monophasic like orthocyclen or ones with drospirone like Yaz or Yasmine.
I did well on orthocyclen and now I'm on Yaz but its only been one month.

Okay so I wanted to help my housemate who is on the pill. I looked up stuff for her, but I am not a skin expert so I thought someone on here could help me.  She is on tri cyclen lo and was prescribed it for acne.  Now I think she thinks her acne is not as bad as she thinks it is,  cause I looked at it last night, it didn't seem bad at all, in face I don't think I would have noticed it if  she hadn't pointed it out. Anyways she was telling me that like she has good skin on the pill most of the time, except every once in a while she gets spots under chin, jaw line and side of face. She hardly gets spots on forehead, nose and upper checks.  I mean there was once when she got like some spots near mouth. She wanted to switch pills but doesn't know what brand what help to decrease spots in those areas. She said forehead is clear a lot, and nose. What are some other brands of pills that could help? and is monophasic pill better? I don't think she can be on high dose though cause of her blood pressure is a bit high on tri cyclen lo. What are her options?

2 hours ago, snarkygirl said:

I've heard the best for acne are either monophasic like orthocyclen or ones with drospirone like Yaz or Yasmine.
I did well on orthocyclen and now I'm on Yaz but its only been one month.

I think Yasmine will be my next try if I do three packs of Ortho and still am breaking out. If Yasmine is still bad, then I am giving up lol... and will go back to non-hormonal methods of BC and just deal with my insane cycle. 

what birth control should i choose while i'm already on accutane? i don't want these anti-acne pills like yaz or diane, just something that won't make my acne worse and doesn't have too much side effects. i'm on nuva ring right now (it's not progestin only, it delivers 120 µg of etonogestrel (which is basically the same thing as desogestrel, because desogestrel is a prodrug to etonogestrel) and 15 µg of an estrogen each day. it shouldn't make acne worse but i've noticed that i have more clogged pores than before. i don't know if it's related to nuva ring but i think about switching to a pill, also because the ring is quite uncomfortable during sex. which pill should i use? i'm thinking about mircette because it's low dose.

8 hours ago, awwdear said:

what birth control should i choose while i'm already on accutane? i don't want these anti-acne pills like yaz or diane, just something that won't make my acne worse and doesn't have too much side effects. i'm on nuva ring right now (it's not progestin only, it delivers 120 µg of etonogestrel (which is basically the same thing as desogestrel, because desogestrel is a prodrug to etonogestrel) and 15 µg of an estrogen each day. it shouldn't make acne worse but i've noticed that i have more clogged pores than before. i don't know if it's related to nuva ring but i think about switching to a pill, also because the ring is quite uncomfortable during sex. which pill should i use? i'm thinking about mircette because it's low dose.

Orthocyclen or orthocyclen low doesn't cause skin issues in most people. Doesn't have the same ingredients as Yaz...idk anything g about Mircette.

Hi all! I'm new to the group and almost a year ago I was switched from Ortho Cyclen (I'd been on versions of that before for many years as well) to the progesterone only pill Ortho micronor because I'm 35 and a smoker. My periods are WAY better (I suffered pretty severe periods all my life) but my skin is way worse! I've never had acne problems (I've been blessed) but my back acne, chest acne and forehead/ear area/chin acne seems to ebb and flow and is constant. I've tried everything. I now use cetaphil but it still persists. I'm assuming it's from the new pill as it started mildly a year ago but it seems to be getting worse over time. Also I've always had dry skin, but the past month some spots seem to be getting oily. Any suggestions?? Thank you!!!!

Hi...green gables

im one of those acne sufferers that cannot be on high dose of estrogen bc of side effects. I have been on ortho tri cyclen Lo for years with decent success but would like to completely clear my face. I only was completely clear while on ortho tri cyclen bc of the higher estrogen but had other bad side effects. 

Would i be better switching to something like Yaz? Better progesterone and monophasic? Also low estrogen? Should I be concerned with its safety? 

5 hours ago, Cherryhause08 said:

Hi...green gables

im one of those acne sufferers that cannot be on high dose of estrogen bc of side effects. I have been on ortho tri cyclen Lo for years with decent success but would like to completely clear my face. I only was completely clear while on ortho tri cyclen bc of the higher estrogen but had other bad side effects. 

Would i be better switching to something like Yaz? Better progesterone and monophasic? Also low estrogen? Should I be concerned with its safety? 

I did well on orthocyclen regular for years but didn't have bad side effects. Orthocyclen lo didn't do much for my skin. Im on yaz and spiro 50mg now .Some people get migraines or increased risk of blood clot on Yas or Yasmine. Maybe you should consider adding spironolactone or green ta to your birth control since the higher dose ones give you issues.

I just wanted to say thank you to green gables for putting together and sharing this infomation here!I have been on loestrin generics for years and have always struggled with break outs, I never imagined my birth control might be making me worse! just started on ortho cyclen (generic) a week ago and a major part of that decision is due to the recommendations here. my obgyn had no suggestions for me at all as far as which pill to try, he simply said that everyone is different (which is true, but he's the doctor prescribing things, I'd think he'd at least give me some options). anyway, thanks for the information! 

Where are the sources for this information behind these claims of birth controls and their levels of estrogen, progesterone, and their andronocity being bad or high coming from? I've found conflicting information from dermatology texts, journal articles, and other pamphlets and charts that make claims that Alesse (supposidily high androgen and "bad" for acne) is either a go to for acne or a stay away from. Here are some snap shots of what I'm talking about: 

The last table states Alesse is high androgen and bad for acne sufferers...then the first says it's low estrogen, low progesterone, and low androgen and a good choice for acne sufferers. 

Then I've found out that though Yaz, Estrostep, and ortho tri cyclen are FDA approved for acne -- Health Canada has for sure approved Alesse and I believe Yaz and one other but I cannot recall the next ones name. 

Anyways -- I don't understand how Alesse can be both high androgen and low androgen? 

Its so strange to me as well as infuriating. But I believe the conclusion can be made that no matter what -- it all depends on the individual. 

Case and point - I was free and clear with Alesse and broke out for the first time at 25like no ones business on Yasmin. Been birth control free since January but considering going back on since im
still experiencing minor hormonal acne that's bothersome -- but scared to have back lash -- as there's so many people now saying alesse failed them. 

IMG_2157.PNG

IMG_2171.PNG

Edited by Snowkistx

18 hours ago, Snowkistx said:

Where are the sources for this information behind these claims of birth controls and their levels of estrogen, progesterone, and their andronocity being bad or high coming from? I've found conflicting information from dermatology texts, journal articles, and other pamphlets and charts that make claims that Alesse (supposidily high androgen and "bad" for acne) is either a go to for acne or a stay away from. Here are some snap shots of what I'm talking about: 

The last table states Alesse is high androgen and bad for acne sufferers...then the first says it's low estrogen, low progesterone, and low androgen and a good choice for acne sufferers. 

Then I've found out that though Yaz, Estrostep, and ortho tri cyclen are FDA approved for acne -- Health Canada has for sure approved Alesse and I believe Yaz and one other but I cannot recall the next ones name. 

Anyways -- I don't understand how Alesse can be both high androgen and low androgen? 

Its so strange to me as well as infuriating. But I believe the conclusion can be made that no matter what -- it all depends on the individual. 

Case and point - I was free and clear with Alesse and broke out for the first time at 25like no ones business on Yasmin. Been birth control free since January but considering going back on since im
still experiencing minor hormonal acne that's bothersome -- but scared to have back lash -- as there's so many people now saying alesse failed them

I think that your own hormonal norm determines how a birth control is going to work for you. I've been on ortho tri cyclen (5 months, would always clear up on my placebo week) and ortho cyclen(only on it a month, same issues and made my skin and hair extremely oily), both made me break out all over my nose and chin. I have also been on loestrin which I am going back to (I switched off of it because I was having breakouts around my forehead and blamed the pill since it's supposed to be a bad one for acne) and my skin stayed far clearer with less effort on my part when I am on that. I think in my case, I am sensitive to the amount of estrogen and require a lower dose pill. 
a pill can have a progestin with high androgenic activity but have less of it in it than a pill with a lower androgenic progestin, making it less androgenic ovethat's how I understand it anyway. it's more about the ratio of estrogen to progestin than the amount of whatever is in it. that and how sensitive you are to that particular progestin or progestin in general. 
for the record, I do not experience typical hormonal acne. I don't get cysts or deep pimples often and there isn't much rhymeerhymes or reason to when I break out other than stress. my acne is more like a mild case a teenage boy might have, lots of comedones scattered kinda everywhere. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, sosickofzitz said:
20 hours ago, Snowkistx said:

still experiencing minor hormonal acne that's bothersome -- but scared to have back lash -- as there's so many people now saying alesse failed them

I think that your own hormonal norm determines how a birth control is going to work for you. I've been on ortho tri cyclen (5 months, would always clear up on my placebo week) and ortho cyclen(only on it a month, same issues and made my skin and hair extremely oily), both made me break out all over my nose and chin. I have also been on loestrin which I am going back to (I switched off of it because I was having breakouts around my forehead and blamed the pill since it's supposed to be a bad one for acne) and my skin stayed far clearer with less effort on my part when I am on that. I think in my case, I am sensitive to the amount of estrogen and require a lower dose pill. 
a pill can have a progestin with high androgenic activity but have less of it in it than a pill with a lower androgenic progestin, making it less androgenic ovethat's how I understand it anyway. it's more about the ratio of estrogen to progestin than the amount of whatever is in it. that and how sensitive you are to that particular progestin or progestin in general. 
for the record, I do not experience typical hormonal acne. I don't get cysts or deep pimples often and there isn't much rhymeerhymes or reason to when I break out other than stress. my acne is more like a mild case a teenage boy might have, lots of comedones scattered kinda everywhere. 

Agreed! It's just so frustrating!! I wish there was an easy and simple solution for everyone.  I understand what you're saying though in terms of your acne. Mine probably isn't that bad in the scheme of things but it's bad for me and my experience with skin problems. 

I just got back from my 3rd doctors appointment this month, this time with my gynecologist. She wants me to go back onto my old birth control -- the one with levonorgestrel -- instead of spironolactone or drospirenone(Yasmin) since I clearly had a bad reaction when switching. She had detailed notes of my past experiences as a temnager and believes what has worked for me in the past  will work again. I'm nervous from all the bad reviews on levonorgestrel but I guess I just need to have faith that what has worked for me will work again! 
1 person likes this

28 minutes ago, Snowkistx said:

Agreed! It's just so frustrating!! I wish there was an easy and simple solution for everyone.  I understand what you're saying though in terms of your acne. Mine probably isn't that bad in the scheme of things but it's bad for me and my experience with skin problems. 

I just got back from my 3rd doctors appointment this month, this time with my gynecologist. She wants me to go back onto my old birth control -- the one with levonorgestrel -- instead of spironolactone or drospirenone(Yasmin) since I clearly had a bad reaction when switching. She had detailed notes of my past experiences as a temnager and believes what has worked for me in the past  will work again. I'm nervous from all the bad reviews on levonorgestrel but I guess I just need to have faith that what has worked for me will work again! 
yup, loestrin is supposed to be one of the absolute worst pills you can be on for acne since it has low estrogen and an androgenic progestin. I've always been on it inbetween pregnancies...I've always had pimples, mostly those skin bumps and blackheads too but nothing that other people would probably even think I had an issue with. I thought by switching all my problems would be solved! nope! I honestly have no idea what my skin is like completely off the pill as I've only ever been off during pregnancies it's just so frustrating that everyone has to find what works for them....from topicals to medications to what they eat. oh well, there are worse things than having some zits. 

Hi, I know this post is 3 years on but I can't seem to find anybody including doctors who knows anything about which contraceptive pill is good and bad for the skin. I had to come off of the combination pill because of family history of blood clots, and onto noriday the mini pill (which my doctor never told me was bad for my skin)! I noticed my skin get terrible when I was on this and even though I have been on it for nearly a year I didnt have it down to the mini pill as it never crossed my mind because I also came off of my acne treatment pill at the same time so always put it down to that. I was never informed the mini pill could be bad for me. I can't seem to find anybody who can help or give me the right answer as I also read coming off of a pill completely gives you acne (I have been on contraceptive pills for about 6 years). Any ideas which mini pill is the best? Or do you think coming off of the mini pill altogethr and being on nothing is a better answer or is that worse? Many thanks!!