Photo

The Big Hormone Post For Both Men And Women

hormones acne progesterone estrogen testosterone androgens dht men women spironolactone

74 replies to this topic

#21 mikito

mikito

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

Thank you, Green Gables. I'll try saw palmetto and I'll  report my experience. I am 43 years old, and sometimes I think I will have acne for ever, and I feel so desperate. I am currently upping my dose of zinc 50 mg ( 30 mg before), and I have notice some improvement but I realised It's not a cure.

#22 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

elemental zinc 50 mg??

thats more than u need,really.

also,do u take copper supplements?

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??
http://www.acne.org/...-with-pictures/

huge pores
http://www.acne.org/...dwith-pictures/

indented scar
http://www.acne.org/...iswith-picture/

oils used for cooking
http://www.acne.org/...oilgood-or-bad/

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores
http://www.acne.org/...twith-pictures/

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)
http://www.acne.org/...food-allergies/
http://www.acne.org/...incare-routine/

#23 Perseverance92

Perseverance92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Age is an issue of mind over matter.If you don't mind it doesn't matters.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

I want to follow a paleo diet to help my acne.My college is soon going to begin and so i'll be away from my home living in an apartment with my buddies.I know paleo diet consists of:Meat,eggs,fruits and vegetables because in the paleolithic era grains weren't discovered.The question is :How should i survive ? i mean can someone suggest easy to cook things for a college guy who has never cooked before lol.I'll perhaps thrive on eggs like 30 egg whites gasp.gif...But where will the vitamins come from? 

Also ,since i lift weights,my protein requirement is tremendous.I need like at least 120 grams of it everyday.Given the fact that i'm from India where meat is not as readily available as is in the Western countries,are there any quick fixes? 

It's an irony that the monster which is making my life not worth living (testosterone) is the reason why i'm a man and without which i won't be able to have pride in my masculinity .

Testosterone is a double edged sword.

Edited by Perseverance92, 27 June 2013 - 11:37 AM.

#24 mikito

mikito

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Yes, Aanabill, I've been taking 50 mg zinc chelated for a month. Last month I was taking  30 mg zinc gluconate. It's suposed to inhibit enzyme 5 reductasa and I am upping the dose from 30 to 50 mg to know what happen if you inhibit more enzyme 5 reductasa.

When I was taking 30 mg gluconate zinc, I noticed that scars healed better, and less keratinitation, it helped but definetely not a cure.

Regarding the dosage, I know that many people in this forum are taking that dosage, and I take it after the meal, and I haven't noticed any adverse side effect and I take copper from a natural way (peanuts, almonds...).

#25 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

I don't really want to get into what I call "The Great Man Debate". This is what boils down to. Both men and women have testosterone, progesterone, and estrogen. Different proportions of those hormones in the womb and as we are going through puberty form the significant internal and external differences between men and women. Yes, if you completely suck yourself dry of testosterone you won't feel so great...but this applies to anyone. Both men and women need testosterone for muscle-building, sex drive, etc. However, there is that line where there is always TOO MUCH of a good thing.

DHT is one of the most potent forms of testosterone. Yet, too much of it causes BALDING, ACNE, EXCESSIVE LIBIDO, and here's the kicker LOW SPERM COUNT. Good lord, people, please tell me how low sperm, men who act like salivating dogs, and balding is manly. I don't care if you're pumping iron every day and have a sixteen pack...pus-filled cysts on your face, a Donald Trump combover in your early thirties, the inability to ever father children yet humping everything in sight....none of these things are hot. Or manly.

Hormone regulation is about finding a balance of hormones. If you are a man, yes, you don't want to take your testosterone down to zero. But you also don't want to be a horny horndog with acne who can't attract anyone. Sometimes a little less testosterone puts your body in an IDEAL hormone range and actually makes you more attractive. More testosterone does not equal more manly. IDEAL LEVELS of testosterone = manly. Acne is a sign those testosterone levels are NOT ideal. 

Different strokes for different folks, but I know A LOT of women who are completely grossed out by little hygiene things. You know, not flossing your teeth. A little bad breath. A little body odor. Not washing your junk. Guess what ranks really high on the gross list? ACNE. SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A RAGING INFECTION ON YOUR FACE. If bodybuilding is that important to you...just realize...having a six pack and bulging arms doesn't compensate for a disease on your FACE which is what people have to look at 99% of the time!!!

Even as a woman who has (obviously) struggled with acne, in my completely hypocritical double standard, I'd take clear skin and a little flab over AcneManWithWashboardAbs any day of the week. 

P.S. Accutane reduces testosterone.

Edited by Green Gables, 29 June 2013 - 12:34 AM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#26 Perseverance92

Perseverance92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Age is an issue of mind over matter.If you don't mind it doesn't matters.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 01:05 AM

I don't really want to get into what I call "The Great Man Debate". This is what boils down to. Both men and women have testosterone, progesterone, and estrogen. Different proportions of those hormones in the womb and as we are going through puberty form the significant internal and external differences between men and women. Yes, if you completely suck yourself dry of testosterone you won't feel so great...but this applies to anyone. Both men and women need testosterone for muscle-building, sex drive, etc. However, there is that line where there is always TOO MUCH of a good thing.

DHT is one of the most potent forms of testosterone. Yet, too much of it causes BALDING, ACNE, EXCESSIVE LIBIDO, and here's the kicker LOW SPERM COUNT. Good lord, people, please tell me how low sperm, men who act like salivating dogs, and balding is manly. I don't care if you're pumping iron every day and have a sixteen pack...pus-filled cysts on your face, a Donald Trump combover in your early thirties, the inability to ever father children yet humping everything in sight....none of these things are hot. Or manly.

Hormone regulation is about finding a balance of hormones. If you are a man, yes, you don't want to take your testosterone down to zero. But you also don't want to be a horny horndog with acne who can't attract anyone. Sometimes a little less testosterone puts your body in an IDEAL hormone range and actually makes you more attractive. More testosterone does not equal more manly. IDEAL LEVELS of testosterone = manly. Acne is a sign those testosterone levels are NOT ideal. 

Different strokes for different folks, but I know A LOT of women who are completely grossed out by little hygiene things. You know, not flossing your teeth. A little bad breath. A little body odor. Not washing your junk. Guess what ranks really high on the gross list? ACNE. SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A RAGING INFECTION ON YOUR FACE. If bodybuilding is that important to you...just realize...having a six pack and bulging arms doesn't compensate for a disease on your FACE which is what people have to look at 99% of the time!!!

Even as a woman who has (obviously) struggled with acne, in my completely hypocritical double standard, I'd take clear skin and a little flab over AcneManWithWashboardAbs any day of the week. 

So you say lifting weights would further make my acne worse?I've been trying to search some articles on this but they all give a mixed response.And how can i be reassured that giving up weight lifting would calm down my acne if not cure it? Because i had acne even when i didn't lift. At least weight lifting makes me feel good for that one hour...It makes me feel good about my body.I'd have to trade all those good feelings for clear skin (And i'm not even sure 100% if it really would give me better skin).

P.S-I don't lift weights to seek attention of the opposite sex.I do it to feel good about myself.Feel happy you know.You sure know how stifling acne is.You have to give up everything good in life just to battle it and even then you don't get 100% results.

Edited by Perseverance92, 29 June 2013 - 01:06 AM.

#27 aanabill

aanabill

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

accutane reduces testoterone?

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

#28 mike06

mike06

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

I can attest to that about the lifting weights.  I can either be skinny (and still lean with a low bodyfat) and be relatively clear, or go hard into weight lifting and bulking and have an awesome body but cystic acne.  As much as it kills me, I stay skinny to prevent the acne.

So you say lifting weights would further make my acne worse?I've been trying to search some articles on this but they all give a mixed response.And how can i be reassured that giving up weight lifting would calm down my acne if not cure it? Because i had acne even when i didn't lift. At least weight lifting makes me feel good for that one hour...It makes me feel good about my body.I'd have to trade all those good feelings for clear skin (And i'm not even sure 100% if it really would give me better skin).

P.S-I don't lift weights to seek attention of the opposite sex.I do it to feel good about myself.Feel happy you know.You sure know how stifling acne is.You have to give up everything good in life just to battle it and even then you don't get 100% results.

Lifting weights personally makes me acne worse.  I have seen this always happen over my 8 years of lifting weights on and off.  Keeping my test levels more stable by not lifting is better for my skin I have found out.

#29 GFxTT

GFxTT

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

Very instructive and complete post, thanks you a lot . (and thanks to Green gables for your relevant posts )

I will start this routine as soon i can (I'm a man, i will combine SawPalmetto and DIM, after what i read on this forum, it seems to be the more suitable man routine for acne caused by DHT), but actually, i have some questions about skin daily treatment : 

I don't use tap water ( too much calcareous in my town) and therefore, i had to find a solution, and i use micellar water ( http://www.escentual...ma/bioderma019/ ) every morning and evenning , and then I apply Jojoba oil for hydratation.

Should I change this habit? I dunno what my micellar water pH ..

Thanks you to anyone who will take time to give me an answer :) 

#30 Dee3

Dee3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

hey could you discuss further how accutane reduces testonsterone?

Current Routine

Morning

Spironolactone (started 1/06/2014)

Evening

Isotrex 0.05mg gel (started 1/06/2014)

Other things that help: Sugar-free diet, a teaspoon of oily fish oil with added vitamin A + D3 every other day and a daily vitamin supplement.

Exercise: 30-45 minute brisk walk 4 times a week.

#31 aanabill

aanabill

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:38 AM

i see no one picked up the topic on green tea here.so i will.

u mentioned green tea effecting negatively.

so do u suggest discontinuing green tea?

not too much of course; but isn't 2 medium size cups of tea good for everyone in general.

(even for those with auto-immune disease)?

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

#32 Go Geon

Go Geon

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

Thank you very much :) i could get much informations which i didnt know!! And i got shocked by the danger of green tea... ;((( i need to quit drinking it T^T

#33 aanabill

aanabill

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thank you very much smile.png i could get much informations which i didnt know!! And i got shocked by the danger of green tea... ;((( i need to quit drinking it T^T

wait till u clarify.

green tea has several good effects.so always verfiy before u jump to conclusion.

welcome to this site but as a member older than u i suggest donot go about following every single piece of info here

(not just this thread i mean.any and every post should be verified.u dnt wanna blindly follow every single thread)

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

#34 Perseverance92

Perseverance92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Yes,not everything should be believed.Take online information with a pinch of salt.I can cite various examples of mendacity,when following what i read did more harm than good.

#35 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

I posted the study that shows Accutane reduces testosterone in the research board. You can find it if you wish. I'm on a phone and can't find anything after the mods reorganized the forums.

You can also search for the green tea study that shows it increases DHT by 194% and testosterone by 74%. If you want the flavonoids from green tea there are more potent sources of flavonoids without caffeine.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

#36 aanabill

aanabill

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

I posted the study that shows Accutane reduces testosterone in the research board. You can find it if you wish. I'm on a phone and can't find anything after the mods reorganized the forums.

You can also search for the green tea study that shows it increases DHT by 194% and testosterone by 74%. If you want the flavonoids from green tea there are more potent sources of flavonoids without caffeine.

do u mean that for even if taken in moderation & for those without any auto-immune disorder/caffeine intolerance?

also, isn't a lil' caffeine suppose to be good(if one isn't intolerant)?

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

#37 jade369

jade369

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hi Green Gables,

I'm technically new to acne.org but have been an avid reader for many years, trying in vain to cure the acne I've had for the previous 10 years (23yearsold). Ive been to dermatologist after dermatologist and tried countless tablets and pills including antiobiotics (damn doctors) and the pill.. my last derm appointment resulted in tears and me walking out as the man had no inclination to even hear me about a hormonal imbalance that I'm sure I have, saying 'hormones fluctuate, its a myth' and simply insisting my last resort was accutane and id I didn't take i'd be left with this disease for the rest of my life. *cue the tears of anger and me walking out*..

anyway, since then I've been researching and researching what could be going on inside and am sure I have a hormonal imbalance. I started taking Dim about six months ago now and have seen huge improvements in my PMS acne, instead of cystic, raw acne along my jawline and chin I now suffer with a moderate outbreak in this area a week or so before. Due to timing and educating myself through numerous of your posts about hormonal acne, I believe I have low progesterone? Does this sound about right or am I on the wrong track do you think? Im definitely thinking of adding saw palmetto to the dim and zinc I take :). Should I look at a progesterone cream too or stick to two types of DHT inhibitors?

All the research can be incredibly overwhelming but I'm gradually making my way through your posts and connecting the dots :) id love to be able to go back to that derm and show I don't need accutane to be clear :)
Sorry for rambling.

#38 jade369

jade369

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hi Green Gables, 

I'm technically new to acne.org but have been an avid reader for many years, trying in vain to cure the acne I've had for the previous 10 years (23yearsold). Ive been to dermatologist after dermatologist and tried countless tablets and pills including antiobiotics (damn doctors) and the pill.. my last derm appointment resulted in tears and me walking out as the man had no inclination to even hear me about a hormonal imbalance that I'm sure I have, saying 'hormones fluctuate, its a myth' and simply insisting my last resort was accutane and id I didn't take i'd be left with this disease for the rest of my life. *cue the tears of anger and me walking out*..

anyway, since then I've been researching and researching what could be going on inside and am sure I have a hormonal imbalance. I started taking Dim about six months ago now and have seen huge improvements in my PMS acne, instead of cystic, raw acne along my jawline and chin I now suffer with a moderate outbreak in this area a week or so before. Due to timing and educating myself through numerous of your posts about hormonal acne, I believe I have low progesterone? Does this sound about right or am I on the wrong track do you think? Im definitely thinking of adding saw palmetto to the dim and zinc I take smile.png. Should I look at a progesterone cream too or stick to two types of DHT inhibitors?

All the research can be incredibly overwhelming but I'm gradually making my way through your posts and connecting the dots smile.png id love to be able to go back to that derm and show I don't need accutane to be clear smile.png 
Sorry for rambling & also for the quoting of the previous comment, not sure of how this all works just yet :) 

#39 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:54 PM

do u mean that for even if taken in moderation & for those without any auto-immune disorder/caffeine intolerance?

also, isn't a lil' caffeine suppose to be good(if one isn't intolerant)?

The study used moderate consumption in normal people without auto-immune disorders or "caffeine intolerance", whatever that is. 

Look, caffeine stimulates the wrong types of hormones for acne sufferers. There are no real health benefits to caffeine. It's a stimulant that people use to cope with sleep deprivation or just to get a small high. Green tea itself has flavonoids, yes, which you can easily get from other caffeine-free sources.

It's kind of like how wine is touted as a source of antioxidants. Sure. You can also get more antioxidants from GRAPE JUICE...but no one wants to say that, because it's nice to think that you should get a nice buzz every evening 'cause you're getting your antioxidants too tongue.png

Hi Green Gables, 

anyway, since then I've been researching and researching what could be going on inside and am sure I have a hormonal imbalance. I started taking Dim about six months ago now and have seen huge improvements in my PMS acne, instead of cystic, raw acne along my jawline and chin I now suffer with a moderate outbreak in this area a week or so before. Due to timing and educating myself through numerous of your posts about hormonal acne, I believe I have low progesterone? Does this sound about right or am I on the wrong track do you think? Im definitely thinking of adding saw palmetto to the dim and zinc I take smile.png. Should I look at a progesterone cream too or stick to two types of DHT inhibitors?

All the research can be incredibly overwhelming but I'm gradually making my way through your posts and connecting the dots smile.png id love to be able to go back to that derm and show I don't need accutane to be clear smile.png 
Sorry for rambling & also for the quoting of the previous comment, not sure of how this all works just yet smile.png

DIM does 3 major things:

1) Speeds up your estrogen metabolism.

2) Increases "good" estrogen metabolites (2-hydroxy estrogens) and reduces "bad" estrogen metabolites (16-hydroxy estrogens)

3) Increases free testosterone in the body. Now, this may seem like a bit of a contradiction. Remember that hormones are either "bound" to a protein or circulating freely. What happens is when you speed up estrogen metabolism, it releases some testosterone off of proteins so it becomes "free" testosterone. So it doesn't increase the amount of testosterone, but it does change the proportion of bound/free testosterone.This is why DIM can be either good or bad, depending on what is going on in your body. If you found improvement on it, by all means continue it, though. But you should be educated on what DIM is doing. smile.png

In general, especially for females, I recommend trying anti-androgens before progesterone. Like DIM, progesterone can be a double-edged sword. If your progesterone is too low, you will have acne. However, if your progesterone is too high, you will also create acne. However reducing testosterone through anti-androgens hardly ever makes acne worse, and usually clears your skin. I would try anti-androgens (along with the DIM, since it improved you) for several months. If you don't see noticeable improvement, then I would look into progesterone.

Edited by Green Gables, 01 September 2013 - 04:54 PM.

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

#40 mikito

mikito

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

I am giving saw palmetto a try, and I am currently taking 160 mg of saw palmetto every day. I know that the dosage of saw palmetto should be 360 mg, but I am scared because I am also taking Diane 35 + 50 mg zinc +50 mg pumpkin seed oil.  I have been taking saw palmetto for 20 days and it,s too soon to say something but I ´ll keep updating.

Two days ago I received my blood test, and I had 6.5 of estradiol, and the doctor said to me that it`s very low (menopause) for my age ( I´m 43 years ), and it's very wierd for someone taking 2 mg of estradiol every day ( diane 35). In the past I wasn't low in estradiol and I also had acne, and I don´t know if there is some conection with acne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users