Photo

Acne not present in Canadian inuit prior to 1950

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2004 - 03:45 PM

After sugar and processed food was introduced into their diet they developed acne
[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#2 pbear8

pbear8

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2004 - 06:50 AM

QUOTE(MelbourneBloke @ Oct 14 2004, 09:45 PM)
After sugar and processed food was introduced into their diet they developed acne

View Post

Hummmm , as a Canadian and acne sufferer that is very interesting...thanks for the post.

#3 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE(MelbourneBloke @ Oct 14 2004, 01:45 PM)

View Post

Could you let us know where your getting this info from?,thx
Life is all about living!

#4 Sendai

Sendai

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2004 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(MelbourneBloke @ Oct 14 2004, 01:45 PM)

View Post

Are you saying that one day they were eating traditional foods, and the next they were eating processed food and sugar, and got acne, while everything else was the same? Sounds rather doubtful to me.

Yes, "non-westernized", isolated populations of indigineous peoples do not seem to have acne, and once they become "westernized" they get it, but it is not clear yet why this is so. There could be many other factors in play.

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE(Sendai @ Oct 17 2004, 05:01 AM)
Are you saying that one day they were eating traditional foods, and the next they were eating processed food and sugar, and got acne, while everything else was the same? Sounds rather doubtful to me.

Yes, "non-westernized", isolated populations of indigineous peoples do not seem to have acne, and once they become "westernized" they get it, but it is not clear yet why this is so. There could be many other factors in play.

View Post

Yea, more and more people are:
busy working,

too lazy to cook own food,

don't know how to cook

were never properly educated on the importance of nutrition,

find fresh foods to be more expensive & "less fun"

find "junk" & processed food to be less expensive

and of course, sedentary lifestyle.

LOL, now my state has several cities that are among the top fattest cities in the U.S. My city happens to be one of them, along with our city having an increased rates of Type II Diabetes (preventable), Prostate Cancer and Breast Cancer....we only have 1 major healthfood store, 30 minutes away from me, and they've started to downsize....so they could bring us "more" options

Priority these days seems to be about Looking Good & Feeling Good NOW, except we fail to realize that by treating our bodies properly we can do all of those things now and for many years to come. Unfortunately people think it's their "right" to eat junk foods daily & in large quantities because it it's WIDELY available, "tastes" good and lets them socialize because "everybody else is doing it". I still socialize and usually have no problems, plenty of fun, and my skin & body thank me for it daily =)
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#6 GeneCosta1

GeneCosta1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2004 - 07:40 AM

Or the acne gene didn't show up until 1950.

#7 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2004 - 11:08 AM

Booya.

#8 diljs

diljs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2004 - 10:20 PM

I am convinced that westernized food = acne. There's lots of "food doesn't = acne" arguments, but guess what? they're replacing processed food with processed food. It's going to be the same either way. American food is horrible for you:
-pasteurization
-preservatives
-refined sugars
-white flour
-more preservatives
-radiation
-microwaving
-more preservatives
and so on.
Why doesn't it occur on everyone then? My guess is that everyone's body has different ways of dealing with the screwed up food we have. Some get fat, some get screwed up organs, some get acne.

#9 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:03 PM

Define how American food is horrible for us? I really love when people want to be all cool and radical by denouncing the mainstream but tell me -- if food is so horrible and we're killing ourselves by eating like this for the last century, why has the life expectancy skyrocketed?

#10 Sendai

Sendai

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Oct 19 2004, 01:03 PM)
Define how American food is horrible for us? I really love when people want to be all cool and radical by denouncing the mainstream but tell me -- if food is so horrible and we're killing ourselves by eating like this for the last century, why has the life expectancy skyrocketed?

View Post

Well, when I was visiting the US, I was "shocked" (well, not really - kinda like expected) at how unhealthy the food was. However, I did not notice much more acne there than what I see at home, where people generally eat much more healty food, there are much less hormones in the food, less antibiotics, less processing, etc.. So, while I think what you eat influences acne to some extent, the connection is not at all clear...

#11 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:08 PM

Are you trying to say one day there was no sugary food, then, BLAM there was sugary food?

Where is this information coming from? Why does it only apply to Canada?

#12 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:55 PM

Yawn. Still avoiding this thread Melbourne?

#13 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(duluxdog @ Oct 21 2004, 01:55 PM)
Yawn.  Still avoiding this thread Melbourne?

View Post

I never avoid answering. The information came from an international bestseller book by Dr Ross Trattler and Dr Adrian jones

"Better health through natural healing"

Read the Charles McGee Section of this link

http://www.thincs.or...uss.cavemen.htm

"Before 1955 the Eskimos remained free of diseases of physical degeneration. In 1955 the DEW line went into effect, involving the building of radar installations and airfields to detect Russina Nukes. The Eskimos gave up their hunting and gathering life style, moved to civilization, and became the labor force. Overnight they switched from an all fresh food raw diet to a diet of 100% processed foods. In a short time of 15 years women were getting gall bladder disease, children crooked teeth and acne, and men heart attacks and diabetes, all conditions formerly absent. The doctors wrote this up in a fairly major nutrition journal with the title, "When the Eskimo Comes to Town." Don't ask for the reference as it is buried away in old files in a locker and it is too cold here (North Idaho) to go looking for it"

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#14 TMLGirl

TMLGirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:00 PM

I'm Canadian and when I visited my sister-in law in Florida last Spring I was shocked to see that you couldn't drive five seconds without seeing a fast food restaurant. I also went into Old Navy and normally in Canada all the small sizes are sold out right away, in the states I am in heaven the large sizes are sold out. Also one more note, I am normally a size four and in the states I can fit into a 0 or a 1. The American Diet consists of too much high fat/processed foods.

#15 slap

slap

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Oct 19 2004, 09:03 PM)

View Post

better access to medicine, especially antibiotics, immunization, greater range of specific drugs and surgery to extend life expectancy

#16 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(MelbourneBloke @ Oct 21 2004, 03:40 PM)
I never avoid answering. The information came from an international bestseller book by Dr Ross Trattler and Dr Adrian jones

"Better health through natural healing"

Read the Charles McGee Section of this link

http://www.thincs.or...uss.cavemen.htm

"Before 1955 the Eskimos remained free of diseases of physical degeneration. In 1955 the DEW line went into effect, involving the building of radar installations and airfields to detect Russina Nukes. The Eskimos gave up their hunting and gathering life style, moved to civilization, and became the labor force. Overnight they switched from an all fresh food raw diet to a diet of 100% processed foods. In a short time of 15 years women were getting gall bladder disease, children crooked teeth and acne, and men heart attacks and diabetes, all conditions formerly absent. The doctors wrote this up in a fairly major nutrition journal with the title, "When the Eskimo Comes to Town." Don't ask for the reference as it is buried away in old files in a locker and it is too cold here (North Idaho) to go looking for it"

View Post

The glaringly obvious problem here is that it took "15 years" for acne to develop in any of the population. Clearly this leaves a large time gap in which other factors can cause acne or have an influence. Diet may or may not have played a fractional part in the development of acne in the population during that time.

What about environment? That is ignored here. How about greater stress levels due to the different lifestyle? Ignored. How about greater genetic variation in the population due to the fact that they aren't living in a small community anymore? Ignored.

#17 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:08 PM

Any article claiming that a massive skyrocket in life threatening illness came about in 15 years is clearly shit-full.

#18 Wolfy

Wolfy

Formerly Known As Wolfkeeper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2004 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(BenKweller @ Oct 22 2004, 10:08 PM)
Any article claiming that a massive skyrocket in life threatening illness came about in 15 years is clearly shit-full.

View Post

I wouldn't like to bet.

Acne certainly seems to be hormone related- a high level of di-hydro-testosterone (DHT) triggers sebum production and growth of sweat glands. DHT is an entirely natural chemical produced by the human body- it doesn't come from food or anything. It make men grow beards, and gives them bigger voice boxes, and triggers baldness (if susceptible to baldness). And acne in men.

But the hormone is particularly generated when there are high levels of testosterone.

But this is where it gets interesting- all of the hormones are interlinked.

A high level of insulin caused by eating a high carbohydrate diet (particularly high glycemic foods like bread or rice) may increase the level of testosterone, leading to high DHT level- or high peaks of DHT- so that acne is caused.

Eskimos traditionally were approximately on an Atkins diet. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the Atkins diet seems to help acne.

But the research isn't there. The above theory may be wrong; or right, or irrelevant. It may just be pure stress, down to living conditions or whatever.

But it is interesting.

"Gravity is just a theory. We shouldn't be teaching it to children as if it were fact."

#19 DADMONSON

DADMONSON

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:45 PM

HOW DO YALL KNOW PEOPLE from non westernized country's don't get acne, whens the last time yall seen a non westernized country and how many non westernized people have u seen in real life not on T.V. . Cause u hardly see American people on T.V. with acne but we all know they're littered everywhere.

#20 HUMMMMMMMElectricHUMMMM

HUMMMMMMMElectricHUMMMM

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2004 - 03:49 PM

Nobody cares. You've got acne, deal with it.
"Look at the leaves of forest trees and see how dark green they are.

Think about your skin and the power of the forest."

-MelbourneBloke