Photo

Toner For Dry But Acne Prone Skin?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 kitkatkate1013

kitkatkate1013

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

Currently I'm using Nubian Heritage black soap which has helped my skin. My skin is dry/combination. I was using half ACV and half green tea for a toner and then followed by burts bees lotion (which i really like). The ACV didn't irritate my skin but it didn't help breakouts either.. It dried up the existing pimples but didn't PREVENT them from coming. I thought maybe it was over-drying so i decided to make a switch to dickinson's witch hazel. I used it for awhile and it really broke out my skin and got me clogged pores :/ I'm thinking that maybe since it had alcohol in it, it dried my skin to the point where it was producing MORE oil and causing the breakouts.. I want a natural toner but these two most popular ones just aren't working!! :( Can anyone recommend a natural (or close to natural, doesn't have to be 100%) toner that is good for DRY skin but prevents acne! please help.

#2 asburypark101

asburypark101

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

Currently I'm using Nubian Heritage black soap which has helped my skin. My skin is dry/combination. I was using half ACV and half green tea for a toner and then followed by burts bees lotion (which i really like). The ACV didn't irritate my skin but it didn't help breakouts either.. It dried up the existing pimples but didn't PREVENT them from coming. I thought maybe it was over-drying so i decided to make a switch to dickinson's witch hazel. I used it for awhile and it really broke out my skin and got me clogged pores :/ I'm thinking that maybe since it had alcohol in it, it dried my skin to the point where it was producing MORE oil and causing the breakouts.. I want a natural toner but these two most popular ones just aren't working!! sad.png Can anyone recommend a natural (or close to natural, doesn't have to be 100%) toner that is good for DRY skin but prevents acne! please help.

I personally like the Obagi Nu-Derm Toner. It doesnt dry out my skin and helps with my breakouts, but I am not sure about the 100 percent natural part. Either way it might be worth looking into. Good luck :) 

#3 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

You already tried ACV which is what i would recommend.  You could also use rose water mixed with essential oils of your choice.  In actuality, toner in my opinion is not a necessary pary of a skin care routine. If anything, it can contribute to breakouts in acne prone skin.  If your cleanser is adequately removing dirt, why the need for a toner?

Hoping you find something that works for you.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#4 suelily

suelily

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

You already tried ACV which is what i would recommend.  You could also use rose water mixed with essential oils of your choice.  In actuality, toner in my opinion is not a necessary pary of a skin care routine. If anything, it can contribute to breakouts in acne prone skin.  If your cleanser is adequately removing dirt, why the need for a toner?

Hoping you find something that works for you.

I agree that a toner isn't necessary. In my experience it made my skin worse when using one. 

#5 LewisS

LewisS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

You could try a Paula's Choice toner. She has one's for all skin-types. 

#6 JohnH

JohnH

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thayer's Cucumber Witch Hazel

Keep in mind that the above statement(s), opinion(s), and/or recommendation(s) are based on my own personal experience and observations. Different people's bodies react differently to different things. It may not be the same for you. It may not work for you. Generally speaking, "your mileage may vary." In the interest of full disclosure, I am neither a medical doctor nor a nutritionist; I'm just a guy who's passionate about health, nutrition, and clear skin! Consult a practicing physician, dietician, or dermatologist before incorporating new supplements into your diet.

#7 Morgo K

Morgo K

Skincare enthusiast

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Boots Time Delay toner has helped with my dry accutane skin loads and makes it so radiant! It's all the Alpha Hydroxy Acids in it :D

Morning Routine:

- Avene Soapless Gel Cleanser

- Boots Time Delay AHA Toner

- Boots Botanics Rosewater Toning Spritz

- Hyaluronic Acid Serum (homemade)

- Hazelnut oil with rosemary + clary sage (on acne prone areas)

- Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Cream (10% Glycolic Acid)

- SK:N Sunscreen SPF 30

- W7 Camera Ready Primer

Evening Routine:

- Lush Ultrabland + Washcloth 

- Soap & Glory ULTIMELT Hot Cloth Cleanser + Washcloth

- Boots Time Delay AHA Toner

- Differin 0.1% cream 

- Hazelnut oil with rosemary + clary sage (stops oil production)

- Vitamin C Serum (also homemade) OR

- Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair serum

Once/Twice a week:

- Green Clay Mask (+ salicylic acid)

- Exfoliate with No7 skin cleansing brush

#8 Sheryn M

Sheryn M

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

Try Witch hazel toner from Dickinson's. It has a variety of toners that can match your skin type :) 100% all natural :)

teehee.gif  teehee.gif  teehee.gif  teehee.gif

My current regimen (Day and Night)

Wash: The essential bar from Buzzy's essentials *Moderator edit, URL removed – please read the board rules*

Tone: Dickinson's witch hazel

Moisturize: Emu oil

wub.png wub.png wub.png wub.png wub.png wub.png

#9 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

I agree with the witch hazel! Good stuff
Regimen: