134 replies to this topic

#41 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Filmmaking and having fun.

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Ok update for you guys! I haven't gotten the Differin in the mail yet. Should come in between today and next wednesday. I've broken out on my forehead and temple and cheek. They aren't whiteheads but inflammed painful pustules. All I've been using is Clean and Clear Acne Advantage Cleanser at night and Ivory soap in the shower in the morning. Hopefully when the Differin comes in, I can get rid of the Clean and Clear and use the differin at night with the Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash.

#42 Chatoyant

Chatoyant

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Were you personally ever on Retin A or Differin?

Hey! I know this question was addressed to someone else, but nonetheless I'll answer it, as I have been on a treatment consisting of Retin-a and Benzaclin (a mixture of 5% Benzoyl Peroxide and Clindamycin).  At night time I was told to put on Retin-A and then in the morning I was asked to put on the Benzaclin by my derm. My acne was much much more severe than yours, and I was 100% clear for a whole year or so. I think the treatment becomes less effective after awhile though, as I'm now around 85%- 90% clear, but I'm relatively thankful, as my acne is nowhere as bad as it used to be. Thus, I recommend Retin-A and Benzoyl Peroxide, and if you can get your hands on Benzaclin or a treatment consisting of both of Benzoyl Peroxide, then I'd recommend the latter (Benzaclin). 

Good luck! 

Ok update for you guys! I haven't gotten the Differin in the mail yet. Should come in between today and next wednesday. I've broken out on my forehead and temple and cheek. They aren't whiteheads but inflammed painful pustules. All I've been using is Clean and Clear Acne Advantage Cleanser at night and Ivory soap in the shower in the morning. Hopefully when the Differin comes in, I can get rid of the Clean and Clear and use the differin at night with the Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash.

I think Clean and Clear's products are very harsh on your skin, at least they are on me. Switch to something more gentle and see if that works out, as have dry skin can lead to acne as well. And later on, when your skin adapts to the Differin, you can start washing your face with a gentle formula that has around 0.5% Salicylic Acid if you still have some pimples left. 

#43 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Once your differin comes don't use the clean and clear products anymore. And don't use a body bar of soap on your face. Make sure you are using a gentle facial cleanser like Cetaphil procure if you like that line or CeraVe products or even purpose has a really nice cheap bottle of cleanser.

Also I would use the differin at night after washing your face. Let your face dry completely then apply the differin if you need a moisturizer and you start to really dry out from the differin I would use a heavy moisturizer after the differin has dried completely then in the am wash your face again and then follow up with a light moisturizer hopefully something with SPF in it. The differin will make your face sensitive to the sun FYI

#44 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

God damn, this Differin is taking forever to come in the mail v.v

#45 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Ok, so my Differin arrived and I will begin my treatment tonight. I'm going to clean using Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash, let it dry and then apply the Differin and go to sleep. I've put pictures of my flare up and will keep you guys updated on results. Wish me luck! :)

Attached Files

#46 KzXy

KzXy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

Where's the acne?

#47 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Ok, bad news. I have broken out more and its not even whiteheads or pustules, its just little red pimples everywhere. :(

#48 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

It's probably just your skin purging out the bad stuff from under your skin. Do these red bumps itch at all?

#49 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

My face itches a little. Mostly my cheeks and temple area.

#50 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

My face feels extremely irritated and I see peeling around my nose area and right cheek.

#51 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

Hang in there and make sure you are moisturizing the purge will be over soon!!

#52 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

Hang in there and make sure you are moisturizing the purge will be over soon!!

Do you think skipping a day might help?

#53 underneath32

underneath32

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is - Alan Watts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

I would recommend going on the regime. Keep it simple man.

#54 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

No if you have a lot of irration I'd skip a day. Otherwise stick with it and soon you'll be over your purging state. You are just applying it to the skin where you have acne right? If not I'd only apply to the broken out areas

#55 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Well since using the differin, my face all around has broken out with tiny red pimples.

#56 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Are you sure it's pimples or a rash? Or a allergic reaction?

#57 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

It's pimples. A rash would just be red, I visibly see little pimples and clusters and one big one on my right temple. It's just a big red tender bump. This differin just makes my face feel bleh.

#58 tex67sun

tex67sun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Have you heard of tea tree oil? Like everything, it may not work for everyone, but it is not Rx, it is natural, and easy to get. Google it and you will find many benefits, especially for acne. On makeupalley.com and acne.org it gets great reviews. It can be used as a spot treatment or you can mix it with cleansers, shampoo, bodywash, toners, laundry, pretty much anything but definitely use it diluted unless you just use it on spots. I mix a few drops in my toner and apply with a cottonball twice a day. Tea tree has really done a great job in keeping pimples away and healing my skin. I had small bumps on my cheeks and since I added tea tree my skin was completely smooth in most places after the first week. I was so excited!

In your pics, the skin in between the acne is very nice! Like, erase the spots and you DO have very nice skin. I don't get breakouts like yours anymore, but my skin does not look as good as the places you have that are clear. I wish I had tried tea tree oil first instead of all the overwashing and use of benzoyl peroxide, saylicilic acid, and things that stung, dried, and itched my skin just trying to treat acne. I have used differin, benzaclin, and ProActive plus everything that walmart sells...nothing ever really stopped my acne and I wish I hadn't bothered. Be nice to your skin and I hope you can keep the glowiness that shows in your pics. I am clear now but my skin is paying the price because of everything I put on it. Tea tree oil is not a prescription but it is very antibacterial and healing - perfect for acne! It also kills demodex mites that can live on our skin and cause skin issues as well (that's another google search lol).

I use Burt's bees sensitive cleanser, witch hazel based toner (add tea tree), and a water/aloe Vera based moisturizer. Whatever you use I would investigate the ingredients. In your shaving cream too. No matter what the label says, if it has sulfates and things I can't pronounce, I google them to find out what they are rated and then make the decision to buy or not. Can't generally go wrong with ingredients with a comedeogenic rating of 0-2. Anything higher and I try to avoid. The smaller the ingredient list, the better in my opinion.

Good luck!

It's pimples. A rash would just be red, I visibly see little pimples and clusters and one big one on my right temple. It's just a big red tender bump. This differin just makes my face feel bleh.

Trust me I remember what the blah feeling is like! You're skin just doesn't feel GOOD. I spend a lot of time outside and sweating and when I used acne topicals they would bleach/fade my shirts, towels, pillowcases. Now I'm like...if it did that to fabric what the heck was it doing to my skin?

Seriously, if you don't mind spending another $10 to get a gentle toner like Dickenson's witch hazel, and some tea tree oil, just try it. My skin always feels great and healthy. No burning, peeling, or itching. My skin is looking better every week, too. Then if it doesn't work, tea tree has other uses lol.

I would suggest a gentle cleanser without active ingredients that you have looked up all of the ingredients in. Cetephil is usually okay. That's what they had me on while I was using Rx topicals. I would never go back though. My Burt's bees cleanser is too nice! Cleans without drying or making my face feel tight. Cetephil moisturizer always felt tingly to me as well even though it supposed to be gentle. I also only cleanse at night to cleanse my skin from the day, and then tone in the AM. Witch hazel does clean a bit too. Our skin has a particular pH that helps it fight bacteria and we can easily mess this up with cleansers and anything we put on our skin. I was cleansing with harsh active ingredient cleansers twice a day that probably stripped my skin of its natural protective barrier - it takes about 12 hrs to reform so by night I was cleansing it away again - hence my skin never had a chance on its own. I don't think Burt's bees strips skin but once a day didn't make my skin worse so I stuck to it. Acid mantle and pH regarding acne are very informative google searches.

Anyway, my skin has been through the mill, and while it is damaged, it is clear. Just sharing some things that worked for me.

Edited by tex67sun, 11 July 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#59 Like Moonlight

Like Moonlight

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

I'd stick with the diffirin. Topicals take time to work its not a over might thing, each product you try you should give 8 - 12 weeks to see if it is a good product for you. I wouldn't try anything else in the mean time. You've only been using it for a couple weeks at most right? Give it more time.

#60 JoeTheAuteur

JoeTheAuteur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

I know we have to stick with a medication to see better results, but my face is just red, itchy, i have tons of new big pimples and the skin around my nose is peeling and burns like hell. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users