Photo

Accutanity!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#21 muttnchops

muttnchops

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

Does anyone have recommendations to apply to emerging spots while on 'tane to calm them down? What have you guys tried, and any successes?

#22 Tim714

Tim714

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

I've had success with Mario Badescus buffering lotion but it only works on some spots if I catch them early enough. Since I've started accutane the only other thing I've used is The Lerosett mask which doesn't really do much as a spot treatment.

#23 muttnchops

muttnchops

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

thanks for the tips tim :)

DAY 45

For the past couple of days my skin appears to be improving. All the nodules from the past week or two are fading and nearly gone and I appear to have no significant new spots forming. All those blackheads that were pushing up a while back on my nose seem to have finished their biz and cleared out. I do notice that there remain several tiny whiteheads scattered around my chin and mouth area that haven't budged. But if that's all Im dealing with, I think I can handle having those. They arent even noticeable unless upon closer inspection, anyways.

Side effects have not worsened much. Still dry skin that gets bad if im not applying moisturizer straight out of the shower. Still very chapped lips. Since I serve at a restaurant with family-style portions, I have noticed after a long shift where Im carrying large trays with several heavy dishes and other lifting, I come home with lower back pain that sometimes makes it very difficult to walk for a day or maybe two. Im just gonna have to start taking it a little easier though. My hair isnt doing too badly and Im not experiencing significant hair loss, but I have been treating it better than I used to by using conditioner every day and an argan oil treatment after showering.

Anyways, I'm at a point where I could potentially feel comfortable going places with no foundation (maybe even no makeup at all!) in a short while if my skin continues improving. Which i'm really hoping for because my church group is going sailing at the end of the month and wants to make it an overnight trip, and I would love to not have to even think about needing to put makeup on, especially cause we will be in and out of the water.

#24 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

To your question about taming inflammation, desonide works well.  If you don't have a prescription for that, over the counter hydrocortisone cream works well too.  Both are corticosteroids and reduce inflammation.  I tend to do this in the morning before I go out and focus more on moisturizing when i go to bed.

#25 muttnchops

muttnchops

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thanks dude! Hopefully I won't be needing it, but I'll get to that later. First....

DAY 51!

I come with good tidings. I have noticed a dramatic improvement since my last update. Since then I have had no cysts or large painful pimples.. hardly anything at all. I think i have literally only gotten two tiny pimples that hardly even became inflamed. I am definitely noticing the hyperpigmentation I'm dealing with more than ever though since I'm not focusing so much on all the breakouts happening. But time will correct that so I ain't gonna worry about it right now. For now I just put on my foundation and go on with my day. 

I'm just now starting to realize the effects that my acne has had on me since it started to get really bad when I was 20. I didnt really think much of it before but its definitely becoming evident. I literally would avoid having pictures taken of me(I can hardly find any pictures of me with friends from the past year). If my friends wanted to take one I would dread it and be worried about the lighting or this or that. I didn't want to go to the beach. Not to sound like a drama queen but to be quite honest I even think I lost alot of my pizazz and confidence and didn't even put the effort with my style like I normally have fun with. I became more introverted at work.

And now that I'm realizing these things, I'm feeling kind of lame for not doing something about it earlier, and letting it take such a toll on me. Maybe its just easier to say now since my skin is beginning to clear.. who knows.

Side effects: Nothing alarming, really. I have even begun to run 5x a week, 2-3 miles each day and no soreness beyond what is usual for me. I have been feeling a bit of pain in my hips that I'm not used to, but I'm sure some good stretches will help. Still crazy dry lips but manageable for sure. skin kinda flaky sometimes even though i've been moisturizing. 

I will have pics in the next couple days.. sorry I havn't posted any in a while!

#26 muttnchops

muttnchops

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Here are pics taken today. It was just after showering so my face was a bit more flushed than the usual red tone I have had since starting 'tane. Fairly smooth although I do still have noticeable scabs from picking (i know, terrible ;_; ) at the pimples i got over a week ago. I definitely have noticed that they are healing very very slow compared to when i'd probe and pick before I started Absorica.

As you can see though, no large nodule or cystic-type spots! yay!

Attached Thumbnails

• rbreuklander_000397.jpg
  • rbreuklander_000395.jpg

#27 muttnchops

muttnchops

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

Okay, I've got a question for y'all.

Had my dermatologist appt today to be prescribed for month 3 beginning in a few days. She looked at my face and said there was good improvement and she may be able to pull me off after month four of Isotretinoin and that we will wait and see.

I know its in the future and who knows if this will actually happen, but thinking ahead I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand I can't wait to be off of Absorica and not deal with my flushed face and dry skin/lips anymore. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure i've heard that if you dont go the full length of treatment (which for me was originally said to be 6 months) then it increases your likelyhood of acne returning.

What do you guys think??

#28 richardb

richardb

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Definitely finish a full course or you have a higher chance of relapse.

#29 muttnchops

muttnchops

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

richard: Do you know of any kind of resource that explains and shows this? Or how i know what a full course is for me(From my understanding, its all about the cumulative dosage which changes depending on age, weight, etc.)? Ive been searching online but many of them just seem more like opinions than facts.

I did question my dermatologist when she mentioned the four month thing, asking her if it's true that theres a higher chance of relapse if i stop before the full 6 month period. She didnt seem to think that would be an issue/concern at all and said if i stopped before 4 months then yes but she usually only keeps people on the full 6 months if they have more stubborn acne, like back acne.

#30 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:51 AM

Review of studies on acne relapses following Accutane/isotretinoin treatment:

http://www.karger.co...ticle/Pdf/90646

#31 muttnchops

muttnchops

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Hello all! Sorry, feels like ive been gone for a while but im back.. Thanks Biggs for that resource. definitely helped clear things up for me. 

Its DAY 66 for me!

Sooo I went on that sailing trip I think I mentioned earlier and it was so nice to not worry about putting makeup on! I did get a tiny cystic zit near my chin but it wasnt painful or large enough to really bother me much. However even though I was ALWAYS wearing sunscreen I managed to get ridiculously burnt while we were on our way back from Catalina Island.

Right now I have no active pimples. I still have one or two scabby spots from old pimples drying out and taking forever to heal, but its whatever. 

My face is so terribly dry though, especially the area around my mouth. As in peeling scales of skin everywhere in that area even though I've been moisturizing 2x daily. My only solution is slathering aquaphor on the flaking scaly area as well as on my lips. Unfortunately for me, even though i put on makeup, it definitely doesn't hide the waxy look that aquaphor is giving off all around my mouth and chin. I dont even care anymore though. Ill take shiny and waxy over dry and flaking anytime..

#32 ls206816

ls206816

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Im on my 7th month! I'm taking 60mg a day. I'm 16,5'8" and weigh 115lbs. My cheeks took literally forever to clear up and I sill have a few stuck under there! I feel like the cheeks are always the most difficult area to get rid of acne and kit causes the most scarring and red spots!