Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spironolactone?

4 posts in this topic

So I've seen a lot about Spiro on here. Is it similar to Accutane? Do they work differently? Is Spiro better than Accutane?

I don't know much about this drug so anyone who knows about it or who has been on (or is on it) please share info!

It's not similar to accutane. Accutane is Low dose chemotherapy or vitamin a toxicity.

Spiro is a androgen muter. Androgens cause hormonal acne and spiro mutes those androgens thus stopping acne. Spiro is a much safer drug than accutane. I took accutane last year and 3 months after completing a 7 month course I starting to get acne again. So I hopped on the spiro bandwagon. It's been working wonders for me with no side effects to speak of. I might have peed more often in the beginning of taking the pills. But I got used to them. The spiro is also a diuretic hence needing to use the bathroom more.

Spiro will only stop new acne from forming it won't kill off any active acne you have. For that I use witch hazel and it brought it under control. But you could use anything BP or acv retin a stuff like that.

Regimen:

AM: CeraVe foaming face wash, 100mg Spirolactone

PM: CeraVe foaming face wash, witch hazel, Acne.org AHA+

Been taking Sprio since 1/2013

It's not similar to accutane. Accutane is Low dose chemotherapy or vitamin a toxicity.

Spiro is a androgen muter. Androgens cause hormonal acne and spiro mutes those androgens thus stopping acne. Spiro is a much safer drug than accutane. I took accutane last year and 3 months after completing a 7 month course I starting to get acne again. So I hopped on the spiro bandwagon. It's been working wonders for me with no side effects to speak of. I might have peed more often in the beginning of taking the pills. But I got used to them. The spiro is also a diuretic hence needing to use the bathroom more.

Spiro will only stop new acne from forming it won't kill off any active acne you have. For that I use witch hazel and it brought it under control. But you could use anything BP or acv retin a stuff like that.

Glad to hear Spiro has been working for you!

A few more questions if you don't mind.. How long do you take it for? Did you get a bad initial breakout when you started?

I have been taking spiro for about 4 months now, this isn't a medication like accutane that you have a set course of time you will be on it. I plan on being on it for as long as I can if I have any more children I'd stop then, then I would start back up on it . If you stop taking the spiro you will break out again just like everything else it need continuous usage. I didn't get a bad break out what so ever. Maybe a few more little whiteheads but nothing to even concern yourself with. It was all just good

Regimen:

AM: CeraVe foaming face wash, 100mg Spirolactone

PM: CeraVe foaming face wash, witch hazel, Acne.org AHA+

Been taking Sprio since 1/2013