Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Resistance Training Breaks Me Out: Help

15 posts in this topic

I like my body to have that lean, toned look. To get that I have to do resistance training. Resistance training breaks me out.

What to do?

Do we have any fitness junkies here who tend to break out from strength training? What have you done to solve this problem?

Try doing shorter workouts.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

I don’t see any reason why resistance training would result in an acne breakout. In fact, even experts concede that exercise is a good remedy for keeping away acne. I think if you still are worried you should increase the amount of weights you lift and reduce the repetitions.

I dont see any reason why resistance training would result in an acne breakout. In fact, even experts concede that exercise is a good remedy for keeping away acne. I think if you still are worried you should increase the amount of weights you lift and reduce the repetitions.

1 person likes this

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

I don’t see any reason why resistance training would result in an acne breakout. In fact, even experts concede that exercise is a good remedy for keeping away acne. I think if you still are worried you should increase the amount of weights you lift and reduce the repetitions.

I have the same problem. I started an intense weightlifting program and it really aggravated my skin. So instead I started doing 15-20 minutes of pilates with light weights 4 days/week. So far this hasn't bothered my skin at all, and I've actually gained some muscle, just not as much as I'd like. I'd really like to gain more muscle, but it seems like every exercise that does that also makes acne worse.

1 person likes this

Yeah, prolonged workouts are mostly wasted effort.

you might want to check out Chris Kresser's new podcast (released 5.6.13) regarding this topic. I don't know if it is allowed to post links so you better google yourself

1 person likes this

Have you heard of ZuzkaLight? She has a youtube channel and a blog where she posts workouts. Most of her workouts are short and use either body weight only or relatively light weights. I haven't tried any of her workouts yet, but they look like they might be short enough to not aggravate acne.

Have you heard of ZuzkaLight? She has a youtube channel and a blog where she posts workouts. Most of her workouts are short and use either body weight only or relatively light weights. I haven't tried any of her workouts yet, but they look like they might be short enough to not aggravate acne.

You don't necessarily want light weights. You want brief but intense Exertion.Heavy weights achieve that.

Just curious, were you doing split workouts or full body workouts?

Yep it's normal and just about unavoidable. The very hormones that are released when you workout and that give you a strong and hard body also happen to be the ones that stimulate oil production on the skin. I've seen it for years with myself, fellow teammates, and just regular people in the gym.

More oil = More acne

The more effective your workout is, the more hormones you body will begin to produce; thus increasing the chance of acne in people with problematic skin.

All you can do is make sure your skin is cleaned within a reasonable time after your workout. Sweat and oil sitting on your skin for very long is not good.

Long-time fitness junkie and athlete here, If you want some workout advice PM me or post a question.

Personally, I'd rather look and feel strong/fit even if it means some acne every now and then.

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance. eusa_think.gif

Here's A Few Acne.org Threads Of Mine You May Find Useful/Interesting (updated 7/25/13)

-- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner

-- How to Ice Inflammed or Picked at Cysts

-- Milk of Magnesia Uses

Other Threads Worth Looking At

-- Oily Skin Research Thread: This shows some of our previous efforts and explains the mechanisms behind oily skin.

-- My failed but enlightening experiment going the "less is more" route, aka "The Caveman Routine"

You don't necessarily want light weights. You want brief but intense Exertion.Heavy weights achieve that.

People never cease to amaze me. Some with their brilliance, others with their ignorance. eusa_think.gif

Here's A Few Acne.org Threads Of Mine You May Find Useful/Interesting (updated 7/25/13)

-- DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Toner

-- How to Ice Inflammed or Picked at Cysts

-- Milk of Magnesia Uses

Other Threads Worth Looking At

-- Oily Skin Research Thread: This shows some of our previous efforts and explains the mechanisms behind oily skin.

-- My failed but enlightening experiment going the "less is more" route, aka "The Caveman Routine"

A typical workout with heavy weights would be 30-45 minutes with about 5 exercises with 2 sets and 10 reps each. Doing this 3x a week really upset my skin. I was getting inflamed acne, which I don't usually have, and my skin also became much more oily. Ideally I'd like to still be using heavy weights, but I'm not sure how to modify this without breaking out. One set with heavier weights instead of 2? Less reps?