Photo

All About Teas

vitamin vitamins green tea rooibos red tea phenol

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2004 - 12:15 AM

We all know about green tea's benefits, as is shown by the 50 new posts about it daily. SO I'm going to post about some other teas and drinks that you can try. Also if any of you are thinking you can get these int he grocery stores, than you may be in over your head with these teas.

First off cocoa. Yes cocoa is better for you than green tea antioxidant wise. While chocolate has about 10g of saturated fat per bar, hot cocoa has .3g per serving and the heat helps it go to your bloodstream better and faster, plus it triggers new antioxidants. Allt he more reason to drink it this winter. Now if they would come up with a healthy marshmallow we'd be in business.

Cocoa had 611 mg of phenols and 564 mg of flavonoids.
Red wine had 340 mg of phenols and 163 mg of flavonoids.
Green tea had 165 mg of phenols and 47 mg of flavonoids.
Black tea had 124 mg of phenols and 34 mg of flavonoids.

Teas:
All teas come from the Camellia sinensis plant. Black teas are fremented the longest. Green teas aren't fermented at all, and white teas are picked as buds before the leaves can open. They have a fuzzy coat on them hense the name.

White teas: don't have that grassy taste that green tea has(don't know how else to describe it). OF the few I've had(they're expensive) they all tasted a lot lighter than the greens and sort of sweet. Yes, they do indeed have more antioxidants than green tea, but not the DHT inhibiting effect.

Rooibos tea: not really a "tea" at all because it comes from needles. Has no caffiene, is fairly high in antioxidants and has an amazing taste. Very sweet and some people say a nutty taste but the one I tasted was was fruity. Anyway, don't get this confused with what the CHinese call red tea because what they cosider red tea is what we call black(confused yet?). Of the many vitamins and minerals it has, they are only trace, and it doesn't have as many phenols as green tea. However some studies have shown that it:

Eases irritability, headaches, nervous tension and insomnia.
Acts as an anti-spasmodic agent, to relieve stomach cramps and colic in infants
Can be used to treat hay fever, asthma and eczema
Placed directly on the skin, it can slow the aging process
Boosts the immune system.
Has no oxalic acid so no kidney stone formation.

It also has a mimic of the enzyme Super Oxide Dismutase (S.O.D.), an antioxidant which attacks the free radicals and limits their damaging effects.

Pu-erh: This tea is one I'd be really excited about. They partialy ferment it and then partially fire it(dry it) to retain a little moisture. Then they put it in caves or cellars in blocks and age it. The moisture left creates a bacterium culture that surrounds it. There are two kinds, green and dark and hundreds of sub-varieties within those two. Now this is not for the timid tea drinker and you'll know wether you like it right off the bat. To optimize the flavour you wash the tea in very hot or boiling water for 20 seconds and quickly take it out and discard the liquid. Then you steep it again for as long as you like and drink that batch. Don't be put off my the smell, the taste of the tea and the brewed smell is very different(and better). The good thing about this tea is you can't ruin it. Pour boiling water over it if you like, of just hot. Steep it for 1 minute or 20 if you like. There's not wrong way to make this tea and you can't ruin it.

It has more caffiene than other teas, but it also possesses a large amount of antioxidants and the other benefits of green tea. It tastes really full bodied, so coffee drinkers can make the transition easy. I really like the taste, it's earthy and rich. The major thing that this does with regards to acne is lower lipid levels inthe blood, lowering cholesterol by increasing fat metabolisation(green tea does this to a lesser extent). 2-3 cups of this a day outperforms all cholesterol lowering drugs on the market. You don't buy it in loose leaves(that I know of), but in a compressed block or sorts. YOu chip some off and put it in the tea. It also gets better with age, so it can keep for years. It's similar to wine, with the best being 20, 50 even 100 years old.

Other teas you may want to look into: honeybush and kombucha. Now I've only tried Kombucha and I don't want to type all the benefits of this tea because there's a lot. All I can say is that it's gotten rid of the grey hairs on my Uncle's head, it's given me tons of energy(sustained energy), I am able to focus better, it also has a ton of the acids that the liver uses to repair and detoxify, and about 100other benefits, mostly untested. The drawback is the time you put into growing the mushroom and looking after it. While fairly easy, it's still a pain when compared to the other teas. I can't say for sure whether it helped my acne because I grew out of it but it's said to be amazing for it. It also lasts forever as it's perpetual.

My opinion: White tea isn't worth it becuase of the cost. If you can get it cheap than by all means do so. Start off with loose leaf green tea and cocoa. I'd also try Rooibos as it's great for relaxing and is good for you. From there I'd venture into the Pu-Erh and kombucha, as diving into those may scare some newcomers away from tea(especially kombucha).

For those of you that are wondering how much phenols(antioxidants) we need a day to be effective, that would be 400mg=3-4cups of regular loose leaf green tea or 1 cup of cocoa or white tea. I don't have the numbers for Pu-Erh but it would be 1 or 2 cups more than green tea.

#2 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Oct 13 2004, 10:15 PM)
We all know about green tea's benefits, as is shown by the 50 new posts about it daily. SO I'm going to post about some other teas and drinks that you can try. Also if any of you are thinking you can get these int he grocery stores, than you may be in over your head with these teas.

First off cocoa. Yes cocoa is better for you than green tea antioxidant wise. While chocolate has about 10g of saturated fat per bar, hot cocoa has .3g per serving and the heat helps it go to your bloodstream better and faster, plus it triggers new antioxidants. Allt he more reason to drink it this winter. Now if they would come up with a healthy marshmallow we'd be in business.

Teas:
All teas come from the Camellia sinensis plant. Black teas are fremented the longest. Green teas aren't fermented at all, and white teas are picked as buds before the leaves can open. They have a fuzzy coat on them hense the name.

White teas: don't have that grassy taste that green tea has(don't know how else to describe it). OF the few I've had(they're expensive) they all tasted a lot lighter than the greens and sort of sweet. Yes, they do indeed have more antioxidants than green tea, but not the DHT inhibiting effect.

Rooibos tea: not really a "tea" at all because it comes from needles. Has no caffiene, is fairly high in antioxidants and has an amazing taste. Very sweet and some people say a nutty taste but the one I tasted was was fruity. Anyway, don't get this confused with what the CHinese call red tea because what they cosider red tea is what we call black(confused yet?). Of the many vitamins and minerals it has, they are only trace, and it doesn't have as many phenols as green tea. However some studies have shown that it:

It also has a mimic of the enzyme Super Oxide Dismutase (S.O.D.), an antioxidant which attacks the free radicals and limits their damaging effects.
Pu-erh: This tea is one I'd be really excited about. They partialy ferment it and then partially fire it(dry it) to retain a little moisture. Then they put it in caves or cellars in blocks and age it. The moisture left creates a bacterium culture that surrounds it. There are two kinds, green and dark and hundreds of sub-varieties within those two. Now this is not for the timid tea drinker and you'll know wether you like it right off the bat. To optimize the flavour you wash the tea in very hot or boiling water for 20 seconds and quickly take it out and discard the liquid. Then you steep it again for as long as you like and drink that batch.  Don't be put off my the smell, the taste of the tea and the brewed smell is very different(and better). The good thing about this tea is you can't ruin it. Pour boiling water over it if you like, of just hot. Steep it for 1 minute or 20 if you like. There's not wrong way to make this tea and you can't ruin it. 

It has more caffiene than other teas, but it also possesses a large amount of antioxidants and the other benefits of green tea. It tastes really full bodied, so coffee drinkers can make the transition easy. I really like the taste, it's earthy and rich. The major thing that this does with regards to acne is lower lipid levels inthe blood, lowering cholesterol by increasing fat metabolisation(green tea does this to a lesser extent). 2-3 cups of this a day outperforms all cholesterol lowering drugs on the market. You don't buy it in loose leaves(that I know of), but in a compressed block or sorts. YOu chip some off and put it in the tea. It also gets better with age, so it can keep for years. It's similar to wine, with the best being 20, 50 even 100 years old.
Other teas you may want to look into: honeybush and kombucha. Now I've only tried Kombucha and I don't want to type all the benefits of this tea because there's a lot. All I can say is that it's gotten rid of the grey hairs on my Uncle's head, it's given me tons of energy(sustained energy), I am able to focus better, it also has a ton of the acids that  the liver uses to repair and detoxify, and about 100other benefits, mostly untested.  The drawback is the time you put into growing the mushroom and looking after it. While fairly easy, it's still a pain when compared to the other teas. I can't say for sure whether it helped my acne because I grew out of it but it's said to be amazing for it. It also lasts forever as it's perpetual.

My opinion: White tea isn't worth it becuase of the cost. If you can get it cheap than by all means do so. Start off with loose leaf green tea and cocoa. I'd also try Rooibos as it's great for relaxing and is good for you. From there I'd venture into the Pu-Erh and kombucha, as diving into those may scare some newcomers away from tea(especially kombucha).

For those of you that are wondering how much phenols(antioxidants) we need a day to be effective, that would be 400mg=3-4cups of regular loose leaf green tea or 1 cup of cocoa or white tea. I don't have the numbers for Pu-Erh but it would be 1 or 2 cups more than green tea.

View Post

THIS IS REALLY USEFUL!,but can you name your source for this information please?.

Also i'm very intrested in cocoa if you have any more information?

#3 Gypsy

Gypsy

sugar addict

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 15 October 2004 - 08:39 PM

Interesting...I'd always wondered about white tea. The problem with tea in general is I'm worried it will stain my teeth!

That's great news about cocoa though eusa_dance.gif

#4 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:43 AM

For what they do to the body(like fat metabolization and the info on cocoa), I found it in journals(I get free access online via university). For 90% of it though, it's my own writing. I've actually tried all of these teas and many more, I just thought that these were the ones that would help acne the most. However if you do your own research I guarentee that you'll find the same info(except the Pu erh making process and most online site don't know or explain it wrong. The way I said it is the right way).

For a bit of good news I found a bunch of White tea that is the same price as the green(same quality grade as well). So if I can find it easily here in Canada most of you in the States or Eusope should be able to find it. At the same place I've also found Rooibos tea in about 30 different flavours. Apparently they are being commonly sold in tea houses now. This compared to a few years ago when they only had the very expensive kinds of both. Also white tea has a higher amount of EGCG than green(DHT blocker). So I guess overall it's better and if you like the taste(you can add flavour infusions to it) than white tea is the way to go.

As for the elusive Pu Erh, well I can only find about 10 varieties and I have to go to the Chinatown mall to get them. However you can order quality ones online for a fraction of the price.

As for the staining of teeth, Rooibos doesn't stain it because it's not really a tea in the traditional sense that it comes from a different plant. It's like a quasi herbal infusion. I have perfectly white teeth and have been drinking tea(mostly green and never British teas like earl grey) for years now so I don't see why they would stain the teeth(the green, white, etc... teas).

#5 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 16 October 2004 - 10:16 AM

Yeah thx for the new info,but one little question.

Someone told me white tea isn't as good as green ta for acne as it's missing the acne helper eceg like you said.

Can you CONFIRM that white tea is just as good or maybe even better than green tae please?.

#6 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2004 - 02:26 PM

I can absolutely confirm that. YES!!! It does have EGCG and in higher concentrations. Remember, Green tea, white tea and black tea all come from the same plant, they are just processed differently. I was wrong earlier and common sense should have told me so.

Black Tea is processed the most and white tea the least. SInce white tea and green tea is from the same plant they should have the same properties. Now the reason white tea is better is that it goes under a process that keeps more of the catechins(READ: EGCG). It's taken while the plant is still in the budding stage and picked and steamed immediately and then left to dry. Green tea leaves are rapidly dried first, or fired, and then steamed. The result is less catechins, but still quite a bit nonetheless.

Here's a link: http://www.ncbi.nlm....1&dopt=Abstract

and another(read the end for the EGCG info): http://www.ncbi.nlm....3&dopt=Abstract

Here's an amazing scientific link touting the benefits of white and green tea. http://lpi.oregonsta...micals/teaflav/

Now if you want the cream of the crop with white teas, and tea in general and you can afford it, get Silver Needle.

Now another thing to note, in case you want to know. Black tea has TF-2, an extremely potent, select inhibitor of COX-2, which is a major contributor to imflammation(the redness in acne). I don't know if green or white has this but it may since it comes from the same plant.

Roobios also has Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) which is a prime preventer of Free Radical Damage. SOD also has the capability of preventing fats from changing into harmful lipid peroxide. Again it's caffiene free so you can drink as much as you want.

So what I'm getting at is that while White tea is the best(my own opinion), there are benefits with all teas. Maybe you could have a glass of white green, black and Roobios every day if you want a variety of flavours.

#7 Case N

Case N

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

From your wording it sounds like your experimenting with drugs. Don't want to get in over our heads, IT's a Craaaazy trip Mahn!

Thanks for the bit about Cocoa though, I'm sure that wasn't a well known fact on these boards. In fact I think next trip to the store I'll get it and give it a try.

Where I lvie you can find just about any tea you can imagine, even Stinging Nettle!

#8 Legend

Legend

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

Are there any studies comparing the phenols and flavonoids of different teas/etc? I've seen far more studies on the health benefits of green tea than on cocoa and red wine. I remember a study claiming that green tea is twice as effective at lowering LDL than red wine.

#9 R.S.

R.S.

Senior Administrator

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2006 - 09:29 PM

Good guide for the most part. You'd have to see if cocoa breaks you out; the best brand of cocoa I know of is Dagoba's organic Cacao powder, very pure and less processed then the other stuff, so much more antioxidant potential.

I get loose leaf white tea for $3 an oz., very generous price and very high quality. The more expensive ones I know of go for about 6.50 an ounce and are probably among the world's best white tea, they are all very fuzzy, white, and have a rich earthy smell.

#10 coming on strong

coming on strong

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2006 - 05:04 AM

very interresting! about how much should you drink of green tea for it to have any affect on acne? 2-3 glasses a day?

im thinking of giving the kambucha a try razz.gif

thanks

#11 lexisa42

lexisa42

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

People be VERY careful with with Kombucha tea !!

This is what a Naturopath told me recently:
Manchurian tea mushroom is NOT an actual mushroom, but rather a colony of yeast and bacteria.
It appears to create an acidic, laxative and possibly probiotic substance. the acidic condition
in the body may lead to leach calcium out of teeth and bones in order to balance the blood.
This can lead to tooth decay. eusa_shifty.gif doubt.gif wacko.gif eusa_naughty.gif confused.gif rolleyes.gif redface.gif

#12 daanzell

daanzell

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:56 PM

I have this tea that is specially designed for acne, its made here in australia. Its called Green Medicine Clear Skin herbal tea for acne. Its got a special traditional chinese formulation of herbs designed to purify the blood and attack the root causes of acne. Your'e supposed to drink it 3 times a day, but see im lazy, and it just ended up at the back of the cupboard, although I am now going to start drinking it and see what it can do. Doesn't taste that good though, might squeeze some lemon juice into it or something.

http://www.discountn...com/prod201.htm

#13 CalmCoolShot

CalmCoolShot

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:58 PM

There's nothing I like more than peppermint tea. biggrin.gif Gotta love that menthol.

#14 cjb

cjb

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(rubber sheep @ Jul 27 2006, 07:29 PM) View Post
Good guide for the most part. You'd have to see if cocoa breaks you out; the best brand of cocoa I know of is Dagoba's organic Cacao powder, very pure and less processed then the other stuff, so much more antioxidant potential.

I get loose leaf white tea for $3 an oz., very generous price and very high quality. The more expensive ones I know of go for about 6.50 an ounce and are probably among the world's best white tea, they are all very fuzzy, white, and have a rich earthy smell.

Is the Dagoba a hot cocoa mix with sugar, or is it simply cocoa powder? Whenever I try to make hot cocoa using hot milk and cocoa powder, I find the cocoa doesn't dissolve very well, so there are lumps of powder in my hot cocoa! Any tips?

Also, BBB, I have pu-erh that is loose - not a block.

#15 daryl42

daryl42

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:16 AM

Hi There

Thanks for the interesting info. I stumbled upon this site whilst trying to find out if kombucha brewed in Pu-erh would enhance the benefits of both tea's.

I've been brewing kombucha for about 6 months now and have experienced some of the benefits but rather mildly. So I figured that it could be the variety of green tea that I have been using and that perhaps more researched was required. I've found tons of info on the benefits of pu-erh tea and kombucha on their own but seem to be battling to find info about effects of pu-erh brewed kombucha. I have just started a batch of kombucha brewed in red pu-erh tea yesterday and will let you know what the outcome is after the brewing process has been completed.

In the mean time have you or anyone you know tried the combination of pu-erh and kombucha? if so any idea if they experienced better results than with normal green tea?

Look forward to your feedback.

Thanks

Ciao

Daryl

QUOTE(blackbirdbeatle @ Oct 14 2004, 08:15 AM) View Post

Teas:

Pu-erh: This tea is one I'd be really excited about. They partialy ferment it and then partially fire it(dry it) to retain a little moisture. Then they put it in caves or cellars in blocks and age it. The moisture left creates a bacterium culture that surrounds it. There are two kinds, green and dark and hundreds of sub-varieties within those two. Now this is not for the timid tea drinker and you'll know wether you like it right off the bat. To optimize the flavour you wash the tea in very hot or boiling water for 20 seconds and quickly take it out and discard the liquid. Then you steep it again for as long as you like and drink that batch. Don't be put off my the smell, the taste of the tea and the brewed smell is very different(and better). The good thing about this tea is you can't ruin it. Pour boiling water over it if you like, of just hot. Steep it for 1 minute or 20 if you like. There's not wrong way to make this tea and you can't ruin it.

Other teas you may want to look into: honeybush and kombucha. Now I've only tried Kombucha and I don't want to type all the benefits of this tea because there's a lot. All I can say is that it's gotten rid of the grey hairs on my Uncle's head, it's given me tons of energy(sustained energy), I am able to focus better, it also has a ton of the acids that the liver uses to repair and detoxify, and about 100other benefits, mostly untested. The drawback is the time you put into growing the mushroom and looking after it. While fairly easy, it's still a pain when compared to the other teas. I can't say for sure whether it helped my acne because I grew out of it but it's said to be amazing for it. It also lasts forever as it's perpetual.

#16 Why me??

Why me??

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:30 AM

I love hot chocolate without milk, but it has a lot if sugar as well so its a doubled-edged sword?

#17 wellgood

wellgood

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

Be careful with cocoa - even the sugarless/fatless kind may break you out as it is similar to a spice. Spices break some people out.

#18 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE(Why me?? @ Jun 24 2007, 05:30 AM) View Post
I love hot chocolate without milk, but it has a lot if sugar as well so its a doubled-edged sword?

You make it with Plain, natural cocoa and water, with maybe a little milk or non-dairy creamer. No sugar. I drink this every day.

I've always wondered why people are such fans of bitter coffee, but not bitter chocolate. And why with all the competing coffee shops looking to invent new drinks, why none serve such a drink.

A cocoa that mixes easily, tastes great and is inexpensive and easy to find is Hershey's Special Dark. It's over half plain cocoa, which has the antioxidents but doesn't dissolve well and taste as good, with Dutched process, which tastes and mixes better but has fewer antioxidents as they are destroyed in the process.

Read the label though, because at some supermarkets, they have some that is just Dutched Process even though the name on the package is the same: Hershey's Special Dark.

Ideally, you don't want the dutched process at all, but it's a trade off with taste. I don't know why other brands don't do this blending thing.

#19 BarryAllen

BarryAllen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

bump

#20 AlexGF

AlexGF

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:14 PM

I drink cocoa with cinnamon sticks every night, I'm used to the bitter taste now and I love it!