Photo

Super Probiotic - Bacillus Coagulans?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:19 PM

This is a probiotic that has a natural protective coating to protect it bile, acids, yada yada. So supposedly it definately populates your digestive tract.   It can even withstand food processing so you'll soon see probiotics added to all kinds of crap.

So, I was looking for something for my dog.  I believe he has a systemic yeast problem.  He's had a yeast infection in his ears since I got him and for which the Antibacterial stuff the vet gave me never helped.  And after the first summer I had him, he began developing hot spots which involves a yeast infection growing in spots the dog irritates by scratching and biting. Because he's extremely sensitive to fleas.  You can see the linoleic acid thread on how I've been trying to reduce his sensitivity topically, and he was way better while it was winter. Now it's summer again in this brutal climate that spawns so many fleas.

I came across this product of digestive enzymes and pre and probiotics on Amazon. One reviewer pretty much described my dogs problems while raving about how quickly it turned around her dog.  It is mostly enzymes, but it specifically names the probiotic strain Bacillus coagulans. 

WebMD says:

People take Bacillus coagulans for diarrhea, including infectious types such as rotaviral diarrhea in children; traveler's diarrhea; and diarrhea caused by antibiotics. Bacillus coagulans is also used for general digestion problems, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis), a bowel disorder called Clostridium difficilecolitis, excessive growth of “bad” bacteria in short bowel syndrome, and infection due to the ulcer-causing bacterium Helicobacter pylori.

One manufacturer of a supplement says:

Bacillus coagulans is a lactic acid-producing bacteria that represents a breakthrough in probiotic supplementation. This beneficial bacteria is dormant in the bottle, then reverts to a growing bacteria in the intestines.* Because of this, it resists being killed by stomach acid; in contrast, many Lactobacillus probiotics lose most or all of their potency before use and do not survive their trip through the stomach.*

And it's formerly known as Lactobacillus Sporogenes.

A press release announcing publication in a peer reviewed journal of  a study on a patented strain:

http://www.ganedenla...iotic012511.php

Probiotics, or “beneficial bacteria,” have been shown to improve digestive health and boost immunity. The challenge for probiotics has always been survivability through harsh stomach acids in order to arrive in the intestines where they can have the greatest digestive health benefit. Bacillus coagulans based strains of probiotics have a distinct advantage since they are able to survive gastric acidity because they form a naturally occurring layer of organic material that helps protect the delicate genetic core of the probiotic. Conventional probiotics such as Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium are unable to form this protective shield, making them more vulnerable.

Bacillus coagulans behaves in totally different way than many common probiotics today due to its spore-forming nature,” Gibson commented. “This exciting development in probiotic technology could very well lead to seeing Bacillus coagulans probiotics like GanedenBC30 showing up in more products due to its hearty nature.”

Highlights of the research data review of GanedenBC30 include relieving abdominal pain and bloating in IBS sufferers, showing a potential to digest protein, lactose and fructose, positively affecting the immune system, protecting against two strains of influenza, decreasing joint pain and improving mobility in rheumatoid arthritis sufferers and surviving through a simulated gastric environment. The safety data reviewed seven tests and revealed no safety issues even when GanedenBC30 was consumed in high quantities.

I'll look for that study.

This study shows that it improves the survivor rate in mice induced with colitus:

http://www.gutpathog.../content/3/1/16

Of direct relevance to this study, the novel spore forming probiotic strain GanedenBC30 (Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086) is relatively resistant to extreme temperatures, as well as stomach acidity, digestive enzymes and bile salts [17]. Bacillus Coagulans GBI-30 (BC30) has been used for human consumption to ameliorate symptoms in various gastrointestinal disorders, as well as an immunomodulating agent in ex-vivo viral challenge, and in vivo human immunodeficiency virus research [17,18].

Preliminary research to articulate its mechanisms of action demonstrated anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating effects in vitro [19]. Therefore, as a logical extension to this in vitro evaluation, we evaluated the effectiveness of BC30 for inhibiting C. difficile induced colitis in mice.

They mention using the ELISA test to measure  inflammatory responses.

Article that may be helpful.http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2009/jan2009_Optimize-Digestive-Health_01.htm  Cites quite a few sources to follow up.

Edited by alternativista, 11 June 2013 - 05:42 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Background:  Because the dog's history is kind of similar to many of our experiences with antibiotics, dermatologists and acne.  Just sped up in the shorter lives of dogs.

The dog had been a stray, was 20 lbs underweight and being fed corn-based Science Diet at the SPCA. And had heartworms and the ear infection.  But his coat was fine, wasn't itchy and he had a very high energy level.  Then summer hit, his energy went down, fleas appeared and he began developing skin problems.  I thought summer was the issue. He didn't like the heat. Neither did I.  But he really didn't get better when winter came.

So, for the heartworms he was supposed to do the arsenic poisoning treatment. But before that he was to get 6 months of ivermectin heartworm 'preventative' and I don't remember how many months of antibiotics.  Which he did. I think that's where the problems began.  It made the yeast worse. Then when the skin problems began to appear and I took him to the vet. They gave him antibiotic and cortisone shots. Cortisone also impairs the dermal barrier function so it worsens the problem in the long run.

(BTW, I did some research and decided against the arsenic poisoning. After one year of ivermectin, he was tested free of heartworms. And that is now the standard treatment for heartworm infection, btw.   Let that be a lesson to you before you agree to extreme harmful treatments.  Think very carefully before you let them wage chemical warfare in your body.)

They've sequenced it's genome:

http://www.google.co....47244034,d.eWU

Edited by alternativista, 11 June 2013 - 05:45 PM.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#3 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

o

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 06 June 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

Article about a Nature magazine article about evidence that your gut flora never recovers from antibiotics.

http://www.greenmedi...ure-generations

But maybe they didn't study this strain. I don't have access to the article/study. But the article in that link has several sources worth looking at.

This study found that they recovered after antibiotic treatment for h pylori overgrowth. But it took 4 years. http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0009836

also, babies are supposed to be exposed to probiotics from the mother as they head down the birth canal.  So those born via C section (and there are many, and many of those, for no good reason) start off at a severe disadvantage.  Perhaps it's people with like that that never recover.

Article about a Nature magazine article about evidence that your gut flora never recovers from antibiotics.

http://www.greenmedi...ure-generations

But maybe they didn't study this strain. I don't have access to the article/study. But the article in that link has several sources worth looking at.

This study found that they recovered after antibiotic treatment for h pylori overgrowth. But it took 4 years. http://www.plosone.o...al.pone.0009836

also, babies are supposed to be exposed to probiotics from the mother as they head down the birth canal.  So those born via C section (and there are many, and many of those, for no good reason) start off at a severe disadvantage, just like those born to mothers with deficient microciata.  Perhaps it's people with like that that never recover.

Edited by alternativista, 11 June 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

The supplement for he dog arrived today. We ll start it tonight. I see no reason why I can't use it too. I put a pinch in my green smoothie.

#6 sustakp

sustakp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

This is interesting. I found the reviews on Amazon also very favourable. I will try this one after I run out of my Healthy Trinity.

#7 sustakp

sustakp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

HI Alternativista,

Have you started taking it?

Any update on this?

The supplement for he dog arrived today. We ll start it tonight. I see no reason why I can't use it too. I put a pinch in my green smoothie.

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

HI Alternativista,

Any update on this?

I kep forgetting. I've only taken any once, maybe twice. I think it's doing the dog some good too. And twice I've remembered to give him a little at night on an empty stomach so the protease enzymes can hopefully attack the yeast I think he's infected with.

#9 sustakp

sustakp

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

OK...Keep us posted on this. I read it is very effective in combating candida as well.

HI Alternativista,

Any update on this?

I kep forgetting. I've only taken any once, maybe twice. I think it's doing the dog some good too. And twice I've remembered to give him a little at night on an empty stomach so the protease enzymes can hopefully attack the yeast I think he's infected with.

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

So, I just searched for this thread to see how long the dog has been on this supplement of enzymes and that super probiotic.  It's been two months and it hasn't been a miracle.  He no longer gets hot spots which is a yeast infection, but he still has the infection in his ears.  And he's still pretty sensitive to fleas, his eyes still water and he often chews his feet when we return from a walk. So it hasn't reduced any allergy/sensitivities. And I also give him a little bromelain at night on an empty stomach in hopes it will head into his intestines and break down yeast cell walls. I put about 1/3 of a capsule in his bowl with a little safflower oil which he licks up. He does seem a little more energetic and has a bigger appetite. I may start giving him a whole bromelain capsule at night, although that's a struggle.

I've only remembered to add a little supplement to my smoothie once in a while, so can't make any testimonials for me.