Anecdotal Evidence That Cystic/nodular Acne Is A Food Or Other Intolerance

24 replies to this topic

#21 squashedblossoms

squashedblossoms

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

At age 21 I began to develop large cystic "acne" around and underneath my jaw line and chin. They were itchy, sore and swollen underneath the skin. They are full of clear fluid and popping offers no relief from the swelling or pain.
My mom had developed a tomato "allergy" around the same age that caused the same symptoms. After a conventional allergy prick test yielded no results I began to research histamine intolerance and how low levels of diamine oxidase (in my case, it's a genetic condition) can interfere with the body's ability to break down histamine in food.
6 years later, I now have only an occasional small cyst (as opposed to continuously having 4/5 giant ones that refuse to heal) since I have eliminated wine (especially red and anything older than 2 years), chocolate, tomatoes, eggplants, peanuts and cured meats from my diet. Though uncommon in most diets, cardamom is a huge trigger for me as well.
When I feel a tingling sensation on my jaw or chin (a sure sign that a breakout is soon to follow) I take a diamine oxidase supplement (i use HistDAO but there are many available brands) which has been a miracle cure in addition to avoiding trigger foods. Benedryl before bed 3 nights in a row helps to heal the most stubborn (for me it's tomato induced) breakouts.
What is irritating about histamine intolerance is that there seems to be a threshold that once met, causes my skin to go berserk. If I'm breaking out badly, things that I could normally eat without issue such as citrus fruit, spinach and vinegar will further exacerbate the condition. Again, DAO and antihistamines have proven immensely beneficial such that the threshold is never met.
I hope this helps!

#22 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

At age 21 I began to develop large cystic "acne" around and underneath my jaw line and chin. They were itchy, sore and swollen underneath the skin. They are full of clear fluid and popping offers no relief from the swelling or pain.
My mom had developed a tomato "allergy" around the same age that caused the same symptoms. After a conventional allergy prick test yielded no results I began to research histamine intolerance and how low levels of diamine oxidase (in my case, it's a genetic condition) can interfere with the body's ability to break down histamine in food.
6 years later, I now have only an occasional small cyst (as opposed to continuously having 4/5 giant ones that refuse to heal) since I have eliminated wine (especially red and anything older than 2 years), chocolate, tomatoes, eggplants, peanuts and cured meats from my diet. Though uncommon in most diets, cardamom is a huge trigger for me as well.
When I feel a tingling sensation on my jaw or chin (a sure sign that a breakout is soon to follow) I take a diamine oxidase supplement (i use HistDAO but there are many available brands) which has been a miracle cure in addition to avoiding trigger foods. Benedryl before bed 3 nights in a row helps to heal the most stubborn (for me it's tomato induced) breakouts.
What is irritating about histamine intolerance is that there seems to be a threshold that once met, causes my skin to go berserk. If I'm breaking out badly, things that I could normally eat without issue such as citrus fruit, spinach and vinegar will further exacerbate the condition. Again, DAO and antihistamines have proven immensely beneficial such that the threshold is never met.
I hope this helps!

Nice article on DAO deficiency. Includes a reason why people get better during pregnancy. And a bit about increasing production, I.e. olive oil found to increase DAO In the intestines.

Also, I've seen quite a few claims that fod intolerances are caused by nutrient deficiencies such as to B vitamins.

#23 squashedblossoms

squashedblossoms

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

I've certainly had experience with the necessity of b vitamins for skin health. After beginning a vegetarian diet as a teen (pre-histamine intolerance), I broke out in cystic acne everywhere. So embarrassing! Someone recommended that I take b vitamins and my skin cleared almost over night.

#24 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

I've certainly had experience with the necessity of b vitamins for skin health. After beginning a vegetarian diet as a teen (pre-histamine intolerance), I broke out in cystic acne everywhere. So embarrassing! Someone recommended that I take b vitamins and my skin cleared almost over night.

Yes, the first ever thing that seemed to help me was a supplement called a stress formula that had zinc, C and B-complex.  My skin became less oily and I rarely had any inflamed acne on my face. But then i changed my diet & my skin cleared and I stopped taking that. Also, wondering about it's effectiveness since B vitamins & C are water soluble so it's nearly pointless to take them once a day. But I'm pretty sure it was a one a day supplement. 

But this connection to allergy is a different issue. I've read other claims that allergies/ intolerances are signs of nutritional deficiencies, especially b vitamins, and specifically that citrus intolerance is a b vitamin deficiency.

Edited by alternativista, 27 June 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#25 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

I wad looking into some b complex supplements, but as they are water soluble one a day supplements are pointless. I only found a couple versions meant to be taken throughout the day and they were expensive. I decided the whole food multi I'd been taking makes more sense, so ordered some more. I shall try to take them regularly for a while and maybe try some citrus to see if the response is lessened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users