Photo

At What Age Range Is Having Acne The Worst?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#21 AlexanderJ86

AlexanderJ86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

You can't get in a relationship because of acne 18+?

What kind of bull is that? So totally NOT true.

Sorry for the double post. But I think you're bound to find a keeper when you have acne because then you see the real side of people.

A person who can look past your skin and still find you beautiful and attractive is worth way more than someone who is superficial and refuses to date you or give you a chance because of your skin.

Those persons do not exist in my neighbourhood.
Well then get out of your neighborhood. You're bound to find somebody.
I can't get out of my neighbourhood due to obligations. There is no rule or law which states that I will find somebody. When I find somebody it will always be a bonus to my life.
Life is in general unfair. Fairy tales do not exist in real life.
You're just super negative for no reason. You're not a bad looking person. You say there are no women in your neighborhood that will give you the time of day. I really don't believe that. Not every woman is superficial and is worried about some pimples on a man's face. I think you need to reevaluate your attitude, because being completely negative upon yourself and on others is what will push people (women) away from you. Nobody wants a downer. Yes, life is unfair, but fairy-tales do exist; to some extent. You'll figure that out when you meet that very special woman one day.

But you need to work on your confidence first, making yourself happy and loving yourself acne and all.
Confidence does not work for me.

This is exactly my point. Of course it is not going to work for you with an attitude like that.

Why do you think I say things like that?

#22 Angelspit

Angelspit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:49 AM

Sorry for the double post. But I think you're bound to find a keeper when you have acne because then you see the real side of people.

A person who can look past your skin and still find you beautiful and attractive is worth way more than someone who is superficial and refuses to date you or give you a chance because of your skin.

I can't get out of my neighbourhood due to obligations. There is no rule or law which states that I will find somebody. When I find somebody it will always be a bonus to my life.
You're just super negative for no reason. You're not a bad looking person. You say there are no women in your neighborhood that will give you the time of day. I really don't believe that. Not every woman is superficial and is worried about some pimples on a man's face. I think you need to reevaluate your attitude, because being completely negative upon yourself and on others is what will push people (women) away from you. Nobody wants a downer. Yes, life is unfair, but fairy-tales do exist; to some extent. You'll figure that out when you meet that very special woman one day.

But you need to work on your confidence first, making yourself happy and loving yourself acne and all.
This is exactly my point. Of course it is not going to work for you with an attitude like that.

Because you're not satisfied or happy with yourself the way that you are.

Like okay you have acne. You may have hyperpigmentation and some scars. But look at it this way...You don't have an extreme third degree burn on your face. You just have some pimples and scars and whatever else. Like...if there are people who have no face at all and they are married, happy with kids.

Acne is the least of your worries. That negative attitude of yours is not very attractive and WILL push women away from you. Amazing how I've met people with permanent third degree burns on their faces who do NOT have the same mindset or attitude like yourself. They can't use products to get rid of the scar it leaves. My own mother has a severe scar from getting a third degree burn, from her shoulders to her arms and she wears shirts all the time that shows it and she doesn't give two damns. She can't get rid of it and she doesn't hide it. She's had it for 30+ years and found a wonderful man of whom she has been married to for 30+.

tumblr_inline_n885u5ccv81ssixo9.gif

#23 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:57 AM

After 20 when you are suppose to have the best time of your life. Nowadays most derms are giving accutane even for mild acne anyways. 

Edited by Binga, 05 June 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#24 AlexanderJ86

AlexanderJ86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:21 AM

Like okay you have acne. You may have hyperpigmentation and some scars. But look at it this way...You don't have an extreme third degree burn on your face. You just have some pimples and scars and whatever else. Like...if there are people who have no face at all and they are married, happy with kids.

Acne is the least of your worries. That negative attitude of yours is not very attractive and WILL push women away from you. Amazing how I've met people with permanent third degree burns on their faces who do NOT have the same mindset or attitude like yourself. They can't use products to get rid of the scar it leaves. My own mother has a severe scar from getting a third degree burn, from her shoulders to her arms and she wears shirts all the time that shows it and she doesn't give two damns. She can't get rid of it and she doesn't hide it. She's had it for 30+ years and found a wonderful man of whom she has been married to for 30+.

I don't show any negative attitude in real life. It only exists in my head. Those people, you are talking about, are lucky that they didn't live in an environment that would severly bully people because of the way they look. I didn't have to go talk to girls. They just come to me preemtively and let me know that they don't like me.

The thing is that looks do matter and for a very good reason. It is possible for people to recognize within 5 seconds if someone is severly ill or not by just looking at their skin. They can also determine within 5 seconds if someone is likeable or not.

The problem begun 15 years ago and it is still ongoing to this day. I still haven't done anything with girls and just last year I was finally able to talk to girls in the way I talked with my mother and sister. Took them long enough to just accept me the way I am and look.

#25 Cyberpile

Cyberpile

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:14 AM

The age when you learn with certainty that even if your acne cleared up, you'll always see a gross interconnected web of diverse scars across your face when you look in the mirror.

Edited by Sisyphus, 05 July 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#26 Angelspit

Angelspit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:52 AM

I don't show any negative attitude in real life. It only exists in my head. Those people, you are talking about, are lucky that they didn't live in an environment that would severly bully people because of the way they look. I didn't have to go talk to girls. They just come to me preemtively and let me know that they don't like me.

The thing is that looks do matter and for a very good reason. It is possible for people to recognize within 5 seconds if someone is severly ill or not by just looking at their skin. They can also determine within 5 seconds if someone is likeable or not.

The problem begun 15 years ago and it is still ongoing to this day. I still haven't done anything with girls and just last year I was finally able to talk to girls in the way I talked with my mother and sister. Took them long enough to just accept me the way I am and look.
Actually...I know many people that have severe burns on their face and body that they have had for YEARS and they were bullied because of them, BUT they were strong enough to keep the negatively out of their heads.

I really never understood certain people with acne. You do have a disease, but it's not one of the worse diseases out there. It can't kill you. You don't have to have a leg or an arm amputated because of it. You actually learn how some people are. You can know if a person is really worth your time or not based around their quick judgement of you. I don't understand how you can whine and moan about people doing this or saying this and giving those people the attention that they desire. Those people who don't give you a chance because of your skin are ridiculous and you should be happy that they won't because then you won't be wasting your time with a pathetic, superficial, dime in a dozen person like themselves. Kind of a good thing.

Edited by Angelspit, 05 June 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#27 Perseverance92

Perseverance92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

I would say acne affects an Individual most during his final school years and college years.Because that is the time when people foster friendships with the opposite sex(the most).And that is the age when people are most insecure about their physical looks.Unfortunately ,this is also the age when hormones wreck havoc in your brain.So any likely breakout is going to cause a larger impact on your psyche.It can easily lead to depression.As a 21 year old guy i hate going to my college class with acne.I start hating my life sometimes.With a campus full of attractive acne free people it's virtually impossible to not let acne affect you.Had i been a married man of 40,i'd say acne would hardly affect me.Complacency in certain things takes over you once you are married.Apart from this place i can't discuss acne with my parents because then i'd have to face their wrath.

Older adults being more mature are armed better to deal with acne psychologically.And acne affects you psychologically and emotionally more than it does physically.

P.S - Acne has made me belligerent,uncouth and gauche.I used to be a guy,ya know the suave and the debonair types.But then acne came. :/

#28 Mesha

Mesha

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

I think its hard to live with at any age. I'm 41 and have been clear for over 10 years. I've recently flared up again and its taken me a few weeks of battling myself and acne to get to a point where I'm having to accept it, again. Its hard work, but I have a life, job, family. So I have to do all I can to minimise how it looks and help my acne recover (again!). I think anyone who manages to live with acne (esp long term) is an absolute hero, in my book.

#29 Cyberpile

Cyberpile

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:20 PM

Physical appearance serves as a channel through which personality is manifested.

Edited by Sisyphus, 05 July 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#30 Perseverance92

Perseverance92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

I really never understood certain people with acne. You do have a disease, but it's not one of the worse diseases out there. It can't kill you. You don't have to have a leg or an arm amputated because of it. You actually learn how some people are. You can know if a person is really worth your time or not based around their quick judgement of you. I don't understand how you can whine and moan about people doing this or saying this and giving those people the attention that they desire. Those people who don't give you a chance because of your skin are ridiculous and you should be happy that they won't because then you won't be wasting your time with a pathetic, superficial, dime in a dozen person like themselves. Kind of a good thing.

Looks matter more than you think. "women are generally more likely to say that looks do not matter (Lippa, 2007), despite empirical evidence suggesting that look do matter (Feingold, 1990; Sprecher, 1989; Woll, 1986)." You are unaware of how much of an impact skin has on the way you perceive people.  Acne and scarring can negatively change the way people perceive you in so many ways. You might believe you don't have any chemistry with a guy that has severe acne and scarring, but if that same guy had healthy skin when you met him, you might fall madly in love with him. You might even say" I didn't have any chemistry with him, it's not because of his acne. I don't judge people because of their skin".

People perceive acne sufferers negatively. A survey shows this is true.

"The clear-skinned teens were most often perceived as happy, confident, and intelligent. The pictures of the SAME teens, with acne, were labeled "shy," "nerdy," and "lonely." Teens with acne were also thought of as more likely to be bullied and less likely to date".

Thanks for this morose piece of information. 

#31 AlexanderJ86

AlexanderJ86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:20 AM

Looks matter more than you think. "women are generally more likely to say that looks do not matter (Lippa, 2007), despite empirical evidence suggesting that look do matter (Feingold, 1990; Sprecher, 1989; Woll, 1986)." You are unaware of how much of an impact skin has on the way you perceive people.  Acne and scarring can negatively change the way people perceive you in so many ways. You might believe you don't have any chemistry with a guy that has severe acne and scarring, but if that same guy had healthy skin when you met him, you might fall madly in love with him. You might even say" I didn't have any chemistry with him, it's not because of his acne. I don't judge people because of their skin".

"The clear-skinned teens were most often perceived as happy, confident, and intelligent. The pictures of the SAME teens, with acne, were labeled "shy," "nerdy," and "lonely." Teens with acne were also thought of as more likely to be bullied and less likely to date".

It is all true. Life is fundamentally unfair.

#32 Angelspit

Angelspit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

This is completely utter bullshit.

#33 Perseverance92

Perseverance92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

It's not "Utter bullshit".Unfortunately it is true.Your face is the first impression people get about you.It definitely changes as you get to know them.But still it's the first impression.And sadly it's mostly negative.For eg. In times when i have hideous acne.My complexion becomes redder/darker and somehow my eyes look sunken.Class mates have told me that initially they used to think i was a marijuana addict,and so i looked scary.This was told to me by a girl whom i fancied in the first semester.

Isn't this heart-breaking? Don't give me that "Such vain people who judge you by your acne should be ignored by you" cliched crap. The bitter truth remains unchanged.Acne is bad,it makes you look worse.And do you know what is the worst thing? People judge you inevitably because of your acne.

It's all dark....

#34 Stella the diver

Stella the diver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

^ It's a sad vicious circle I guess...

My daily routine: 

Morning : Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash, moisturize with Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer w/ spf30

Before bedtime: Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash and apply Tactuo on affected areas

Medication: 100 mg Minocycline/day

Makeup routine: 

Primer: B.Kamins Corrective Mattifier

Foundation: Mary Kay Timewise Matte-wear foundation

Set: Revlon Photoready Translucent Finisher

#35 CrimeinPartner

CrimeinPartner

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

lol it's not bullshit. It's clearly true

Bang Bang

#36 Angelspit

Angelspit

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

It's not "Utter bullshit".Unfortunately it is true.Your face is the first impression people get about you.It definitely changes as you get to know them.But still it's the first impression.And sadly it's mostly negative.For eg. In times when i have hideous acne.My complexion becomes redder/darker and somehow my eyes look sunken.Class mates have told me that initially they used to think i was a marijuana addict,and so i looked scary.This was told to me by a girl whom i fancied in the first semester.
               Isn't this heart-breaking? Don't give me that "Such vain people who judge you by your acne should be ignored by you" cliched crap. The bitter truth remains unchanged.Acne is bad,it makes you look worse.And do you know what is the worst thing? People judge you inevitably because of your acne.

It's all dark....

Let me tell you this. I went to an all girl's high school, and trust me girls can be some of the most heartless, cold beings I've ever come across. There were these chicks with acne. Mind you, I had terrible acne in high school, but there were these girls one had even worse acne than me and the other had just as bad as mine, and guess what? These chicks were the most well known and popular girls in the school. They had a new boyfriend like every month (and these guys were good looking!) And they were liked by everyone. Always outgoing and everything!

Same with some guys I knew at the brother school. Terrible acne. But had girls all over them! Lol, I think it depends on the person.

#37 AcneMonster293

AcneMonster293

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

12-18 imo, Acne pretty much just destroyed my teen years.

#38 Cyberpile

Cyberpile

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:26 AM

It's all dark....

Let me tell you this. I went to an all girl's high school, and trust me girls can be some of the most heartless, cold beings I've ever come across. There were these chicks with acne. Mind you, I had terrible acne in high school, but there were these girls one had even worse acne than me and the other had just as bad as mine, and guess what? These chicks were the most well known and popular girls in the school. They had a new boyfriend like every month (and these guys were good looking!) And they were liked by everyone. Always outgoing and everything!

Same with some guys I knew at the brother school. Terrible acne. But had girls all over them! Lol, I think it depends on the person.

Each situation is different! A person can be very popular, attractive and have acne. That is part of the reason all girl schools are a good idea. That is why some schools have uniforms. It makes people feel equal. 

Did you know girls find guys, that are surrounded by attractive girls, much more attractive. If your trapped on an island with a bunch of girls and two guys, you will likely become attracted to those guys even if they have acne. Not everyone is a desperate teenager at an all boy school. Those girls might not have been as popular at another school. Those guys might not have been as popular with girls that aren't separated from males. Those guys were good looking to you, someone at an all girl school, not to everyone.

It also depends on the degree of acne. 15 random pimples on otherwise healthy glowing skin isn't going to make an attractive girl ugly. Did people get grossed out by the severity of their acne or were they still physically attractive up close? How badly scarred is your face from your terrible acne? How many years did you have what you call severe acne?

Were they able to squeeze a line of sebum out of every pore around the middle of your greasy face? Did there pimples grow huge and explode during class?

Imagine a person you would date, asking you out. Now imagine that person with a severe skin disease that, grossed out people, and also made their face appear less symmetrical, almost to the point where you wouldn't recognize them. Would you say yes if they behaved in the exact same way when asking you out? Or does it not depend entirely on the person?

#39 Perseverance92

Perseverance92

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:26 AM

It's all dark....

Having a partner while having acne is a completely different thing.We were discussing about how people judge you and how their first impression's vary because of your acne.An individual could have a negative opinion about you and still end up liking you... You strayed away from the topic.

#40 fatalbert911

fatalbert911

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

i'll be turning 20 in july 2 & i sure as %$# don't want to have it later on. luckily i'v been growing out of it sense about 18 but it's only been two years, before that i had horrible skin from 12 1/2 to late 17. im still recovering face wise, my emotional state? i live well enough alone & i don't really crave much interaction like most people do. in fact i get tired talking to someone for more then an hour lol. i could stay quite all day really. although i do admit i like talking to myself, i guess because i always agree with myself lol & i like the sound of my voice XD. i think that's a side effect from being a loner, but honestly i like it, i can be the real me & not just another sheep following the heard. i believe most people will sell themselves out in oder to be accepted. i stand alone & prefer it that way, really im a rare kind. im proud of myself on that aspect.

Edited by fatalbert911, 09 June 2013 - 09:28 PM.