ultra low dose accutane long skin oily acne term isoretinoin

194 replies to this topic

#41 jon165

jon165

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

I got a few more blemishes that appear as small red spots. So far none of them have come to a head. I think it's cuz I doubled the amount of accutane I'm taking and it's doing its job bringing everything to the surface. Good thing is everything is going away in one day and they are very small. I'll keep u guys posted on this situation and report back. Hopefully it's just cuz of me taking 20 mg instead of 10 mg a week.

Hey yunchang! It's nice to read your log about ultra low dose Accutane. I'm on my second course. My first course was a "normal" course (don't remember the exact dosage), but I relapsed after about one and a half-two years. My new dermatologist has started me taking 20 mg every other day for the time being and told me that when I go back to see him in two months, we'll change to 20mg a week! I'm a bit skeptical, I must admit, but I'm only on day 3 and it already seems to making a huge difference. I hope your good results continue, it gives me hope for when I move down to 20 mg a week!

#42 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

I got a few more blemishes that appear as small red spots. So far none of them have come to a head. I think it's cuz I doubled the amount of accutane I'm taking and it's doing its job bringing everything to the surface. Good thing is everything is going away in one day and they are very small. I'll keep u guys posted on this situation and report back. Hopefully it's just cuz of me taking 20 mg instead of 10 mg a week.

Hey yunchang! It's nice to read your log about ultra low dose Accutane. I'm on my second course. My first course was a "normal" course (don't remember the exact dosage), but I relapsed after about one and a half-two years. My new dermatologist has started me taking 20 mg every other day for the time being and told me that when I go back to see him in two months, we'll change to 20mg a week! I'm a bit skeptical, I must admit, but I'm only on day 3 and it already seems to making a huge difference. I hope your good results continue, it gives me hope for when I move down to 20 mg a week!

No problem! This log has been good for me too. Dude, my remission was like in 4 months, so you are lucky! yeah 20mg a week is ultra low dose and I bet your doc is doing that as a maintenance course. Which is great because it really works. Stay strong!

Update:

All blemishes have disappeared. False alarm ;) Maybe initial breakout from the 20mg or something I ate?

#43 jon165

jon165

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:34 AM

No problem! This log has been good for me too. Dude, my remission was like in 4 months, so you are lucky! yeah 20mg a week is ultra low dose and I bet your doc is doing that as a maintenance course. Which is great because it really works. Stay strong!

Update:

All blemishes have disappeared. False alarm wink.png Maybe initial breakout from the 20mg or something I ate?

Yeah, I'm sure that's what he's doing. I had just never read much about maintenance therapy with Accutane until after he prescribed it to me. I've done a bit more research and it seems like it could definitely be the way to go, although I do wonder if I could just use Tazorac or Retin-A after a few months of Accutane as maintenance instead. Yeah, creams/gels are annoying, but I think it's probably a safer long-term solution. In any case, I'm willing to try this for at least a few months!

I seriously can't believe how great my skin already looks! I have a tiny whitehead that's been there since I started, but it just keeps getting gradually smaller. I'm still using a bit of azelaic acid 20% every night since my skin isn't too dry and I'm on such a low dose of Accutane. I want the hyperpigmentation from my most recent breakout gone ASAP and it should help prevent an initial breakout too. We'll see. Keep us updated on your experiment!

#44 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

Update:

All blemishes have disappeared. False alarm wink.png Maybe initial breakout from the 20mg or something I ate?

Yeah, I'm sure that's what he's doing. I had just never read much about maintenance therapy with Accutane until after he prescribed it to me. I've done a bit more research and it seems like it could definitely be the way to go, although I do wonder if I could just use Tazorac or Retin-A after a few months of Accutane as maintenance instead. Yeah, creams/gels are annoying, but I think it's probably a safer long-term solution. In any case, I'm willing to try this for at least a few months!

I seriously can't believe how great my skin already looks! I have a tiny whitehead that's been there since I started, but it just keeps getting gradually smaller. I'm still using a bit of azelaic acid 20% every night since my skin isn't too dry and I'm on such a low dose of Accutane. I want the hyperpigmentation from my most recent breakout gone ASAP and it should help prevent an initial breakout too. We'll see. Keep us updated on your experiment!

yeah yeah! glad to hear it is working so soon, just let it do it's job and wear sunscreen! The accutane accelerates skin exfoliation so your dark spots and acne marks will gradually fade. 

Hey if creams work for you, I say do it! Creams are awesome too.

#45 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

Update :

Been on 20mg and the oil has gone down even further and of course there is no acne. It's weird, I used to have bad oily, splotchy, red, and acne skin. But now I have the best skin in my school. It's awesome how isotretinoin clears acne by reducing oil but it also has th effect of shedding skin so ur skin is much more even. So far so good! Staying on 20mg!

#46 shanli

shanli

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:20 AM

Hey yunchang, I am planning to take low dosage of accutane. Like 20mg every 3 days, means 1 week is around 40mg. Will it cause my face to blush? Or will if have any noticible side effects?

#47 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

Hey yunchang, I am planning to take low dosage of accutane. Like 20mg every 3 days, means 1 week is around 40mg. Will it cause my face to blush? Or will if have any noticible side effects?

damn you are cut bro. gym for life! 40 mg is still ultra low dose and it should not cause your face to blush. you should see very little side effects. yes, you will have drier than normal lips and skin, but nothing annoying. Keep me updated bro!

Update:

Went to the club a few days ago...and I hated it! Ya know why?! Cuz it was too damn dark for people to appreciate my skin! Hehe. Seriously, I wanted so bad for them to brighten the lights in there. Good times. 

It's been a little over 21 days since I started 20 mg and it's been good so far. However, I started to get random tiny whiteheads. I'm sure the 20mg is doing it's job since my lips are drier than when I was on 10 mg, however, I will start 30 mg to see if I can handle the increase in side effects. Kinda hoping now to find the perfect dosage for me. Still have not found it, but I have not had this good skin since I was pre-teen so I will keep soldiering on!

#48 shanli

shanli

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

damn you are cut bro. gym for life! 40 mg is still ultra low dose and it should not cause your face to blush. you should see very little side effects. yes, you will have drier than normal lips and skin, but nothing annoying. Keep me updated bro!

Update:

Went to the club a few days ago...and I hated it! Ya know why?! Cuz it was too damn dark for people to appreciate my skin! Hehe. Seriously, I wanted so bad for them to brighten the lights in there. Good times. 

It's been a little over 21 days since I started 20 mg and it's been good so far. However, I started to get random tiny whiteheads. I'm sure the 20mg is doing it's job since my lips are drier than when I was on 10 mg, however, I will start 30 mg to see if I can handle the increase in side effects. Kinda hoping now to find the perfect dosage for me. Still have not found it, but I have not had this good skin since I was pre-teen so I will keep soldiering on!

thanks bro! GYM! anyway I actually plan to take 20mg on alternate days, then slowly reduce to 3 days a pill. So u r taking 20mg per week now?

#49 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

For 3 weeks I was on 20 mg and had a bit drier lips. Trying 30 mg now! Woke up to clear skin today.

#50 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:32 AM

Update:

Bit upset right now. Face was good this morning but now there is a blemish appearing on my face. Not sure what is happening. Did I eat something wrong or is this the accutane bringing everything out to the surface? Hopefully, it will be gone by tomorrow. I will keep you guys updated!

#51 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

Update:

The more I think about it, I think it's because of that one night at the club. Because for the past 3 weeks, I had flawless skin. But after that one night of drinking and especially smoking, I randomly broke out a bit. Yes, it ain't bad and it's almost gone in a day, but I still wanted to know why I got a blemish. Now, I believe it is because of smoking. I haven't smoked for over 3 weeks and during that time I had zero acne. But a week ago I lit up a bunch, and two days ago I lit up again. I got acne the next day each time I lit up! Coincidence? Maybe...we shall see. I'm going to stay at 20mg for now since I believe it was just the smoking that started this blemish. Later players!

#52 Melie87

Melie87

We just need to learn how to balance our skin :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 12
About Me
  • Interests:Check out my page on FB about masks I have been making to help my skin :) write me though there with any questions about skin! I have been through it all!
    https://www.facebook.com/miasmasks

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:53 PM

Continue updating! I have been curious about this ultra low dose as well. I've got yet Another derm appointment Thursday and will ask about this.

#53 faceandlms

faceandlms

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

Is it true that I can avoid flushing/red face by taking low dose? (like 5mg/day ?) 

#54 lalahaha11

lalahaha11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hi yunchange!

Same as you, I'm on low dosage maintenance program....have been on it for more than 2 years actually ^^;

I don't recommend it at all unless for a short period of time. You never know what damage it can do to your body. But as you and many others have said, I'm already at my wits' end, tried almost everything so I have no other choice but to stick to it. 

I'm so paranoid I kept asking my dermatologist the same old question every time I see him: if there's any problems/issues with such low dosage maintenance program. And he said no. I even asked for a double confirmation every single time.

You are really lucky that you are totally cleared up at only 10mg per month and I'm really happy for you!! ^^

I'm taking 10mg 3 times per week and I'm not clear...unless I stick to a very strict regimen of exercising, eating properly, don't be stressed, get proper sleep, use correct products etc. But without the accutane, the acne comes back even with the strict regimen *cries*

Because I'm so scared of the side effects, sometimes I further reduce the amount I take. Like not taking for a few weeks, or just take this week, then not take the next week. It's not a very good idea but it's the best I can do to try to prevent the acne flare up while making sure my body system gets some rest time. My dermatologist doesn't have an issue with me doing this either.

I really wish to stop accutane though. I'm a girl and I wish to have my own kid, so I can't go on taking accutane forever. I don't mind having to stick to a very lifestyle so long as it keeps the acne away, but right now nothing except accutane works...

Sorry for posting so many out of topic stuff ^^;

That being said, I can identify with the low dosage program and it does help even without the overloading, just don't keep to it for too long ok? Go off it once you are able to =)

#55 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

Continue updating! I have been curious about this ultra low dose as well. I've got yet Another derm appointment Thursday and will ask about this.

I'm still here! Going strong! What did your derm say? 

Update: Been low dosing for 146 days! My average dosage per week has been 15-20 mg. 30 mg per week was too much for my lips. My skin is not perfect perfect but it is perfect for me! I am usually 98% clear all the time. My skin is white like a Japanese Geisha and my oil levels are still controlled (not gone but much lower). Sometimes I get little flare ups or random acne, but they disappear rapidly in a day and my doubts are gone. I will keep you guys posted and I promise to deliver a proof picture!

Is it true that I can avoid flushing/red face by taking low dose? (like 5mg/day ?) 

Yes yes yes yes! Hell yes. At 35 mg a week you should see very little reddening. I have zero flushing and reddening at 10 mg, 20 mg, or 30 mg a week. I fucking hated the redness when I was taking 60 mg everyday.

Hi yunchange!

Same as you, I'm on low dosage maintenance program....have been on it for more than 2 years actually ^^;

I don't recommend it at all unless for a short period of time. You never know what damage it can do to your body. But as you and many others have said, I'm already at my wits' end, tried almost everything so I have no other choice but to stick to it. 

I'm so paranoid I kept asking my dermatologist the same old question every time I see him: if there's any problems/issues with such low dosage maintenance program. And he said no. I even asked for a double confirmation every single time.

You are really lucky that you are totally cleared up at only 10mg per month and I'm really happy for you!! ^^

I'm taking 10mg 3 times per week and I'm not clear...unless I stick to a very strict regimen of exercising, eating properly, don't be stressed, get proper sleep, use correct products etc. But without the accutane, the acne comes back even with the strict regimen *cries*

Because I'm so scared of the side effects, sometimes I further reduce the amount I take. Like not taking for a few weeks, or just take this week, then not take the next week. It's not a very good idea but it's the best I can do to try to prevent the acne flare up while making sure my body system gets some rest time. My dermatologist doesn't have an issue with me doing this either.

I really wish to stop accutane though. I'm a girl and I wish to have my own kid, so I can't go on taking accutane forever. I don't mind having to stick to a very lifestyle so long as it keeps the acne away, but right now nothing except accutane works...

Sorry for posting so many out of topic stuff ^^;

That being said, I can identify with the low dosage program and it does help even without the overloading, just don't keep to it for too long ok? Go off it once you are able to =)

Wow, thank you for sharing your lovely story and I wish you all the best from a fellow low doser. Stories like ours will help people make informed choices later. I am glad you are seeing the doctor and getting check ups. I will keep your advice to heart. Hehe, I do feel like a guinea pig for sure. But I will keep continuing as long as my doc says my levels (especially trig and liver enzyme levels) are good. In my opinion I have better skin than some models because I low dose, and I don't need airbrush or photoshop! =)

I have a tip for you! If you remove breads, wheat, pasta, sugary foods, sugary drinks, chocolate, and candy from your diet your acne will improve! 

Drop in more Melie! By the way, where are you from?

#56 JTM88

JTM88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:29 PM

Please Please do not take accutane for a long time.   did it and here is what is happening: 

Extremely oily skin.  Accutane was the only thing that helped.  My Dosage: 10mg a day for the first month.  Incrementally increased each month, and ending with 40 mg a day at month 4.  

Read the same articles on how safe ultra-low dosage was, and started a regimen of 10mg every other day for 6-7 months.  Total time on accutane - 12 months.  

Never had any severe side effects while on the drug.  The first 3 months I had some dry lips and thats it.  All side effects disappeared while on the ultra-low dose course  Skin was beautiful.  Able to eat normal food.  Basically, had no restriction on normal life habits.   

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At the end of month 12, I started to experience some problems.  4 months post tane, my issues are the following: 

1). Light color stool.  Dark urine, despite drinking tons of water. 

2). 24/7 dry mouth and throat

3). Dry and semi-red eyes

4). mild Joint and muscle pain

5). bad digestion.  Bloating, gas, etc. 

6). Insomina.  Can't sleep no matter how tired.  

Stopped Accutane immediately.  

Accutane is a form of Retinol and accumulates in your body.  while taking it, you may not experience any symptoms, b/c you body is protecting your other organs by storing it in your liver and fat cells (accutane is fat soluble).  This gives you a false sense of safety.  Many many people experience side effects AFTER stopping the drug.  Its like smokers that smoked for 30 years and remained healthy.  After they stopped smoking, they develop problems.  

Anyway, i could go on and on about how accuntane works.  My advice to evreyone is: Never Never take accutane for a long time.  This ultra-low dose thing that everyone is talking about is not safe and should never be practiced.  

Contact me if you have questoins.  

#57 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Damn that sucks. I am sorry it did not work out for you. Low dosing is not for everyone I am sure. Accutane acts differently with most people. There are some people who it works for and some that don't. Sorry it don't work for ya.

#58 emp2thy

emp2thy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:35 AM

I've been contemplating about doing low-dose accutane but wasn't so sure how effective it was.

Also, can you clarify something for me because I was skipping through some of the posts and you interchange the words 10mg a *day* then you say 10mg a *week*. Which one is it? Because that is vital information you need to be very clear on.

just to comment...

I used to have terrible TERRIBLE acne, then accutane saved my life. Unfortunately, I believe it made my stomach sensitive, and I had to stop because I ended up getting bloody stools. I think that was my fault because I was eating spicy foods and drinking beer while on accutane..so i think that may have been the actual problem..

...anyways.. I'm currently in the same boat you were in. After a year off accutane, I started to get break outs again, and my skin started to be oily. Fortunately, I am able to control my break outs with tretinoin cream .05% and I am now 85% clear. My acne was getting pretty bad without it (not as bad as it was before accutane , but still bad) ...However, I don't want to rely on that cream for the rest of my life, and would definitely like to try another method such as low-dose accutane.

, this post you made definitely convinced me to go and try accutane again because that shit worked so well for me the first time around..hopefully it will clear things up once and for all. :] Fuck acne. haha

Edited by emp2thy, 25 October 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#59 anemal

anemal

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hiya guys,
This thread has kinda helped me hope again. I've tried accutane low dose 3 months, all back acne cleared but my cheeks still red, acne no where near as bad though. Should I be looking to accutane again? Please look at my topic list I've got a picture up, please help me. And congrats guys

#60 yunchang

yunchang

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

I've been contemplating about doing low-dose accutane but wasn't so sure how effective it was.

Also, can you clarify something for me because I was skipping through some of the posts and you interchange the words 10mg a *day* then you say 10mg a *week*. Which one is it? Because that is vital information you need to be very clear on.

just to comment...

I used to have terrible TERRIBLE acne, then accutane saved my life. Unfortunately, I believe it made my stomach sensitive, and I had to stop because I ended up getting bloody stools. I think that was my fault because I was eating spicy foods and drinking beer while on accutane..so i think that may have been the actual problem..

...anyways.. I'm currently in the same boat you were in. After a year off accutane, I started to get break outs again, and my skin started to be oily. Fortunately, I am able to control my break outs with tretinoin cream .05% and I am now 85% clear. My acne was getting pretty bad without it (not as bad as it was before accutane , but still bad) ...However, I don't want to rely on that cream for the rest of my life, and would definitely like to try another method such as low-dose accutane.

, this post you made definitely convinced me to go and try accutane again because that shit worked so well for me the first time around..hopefully it will clear things up once and for all. :] Fuck acne. haha

I have never ever said I take 10 mg everyday. Right now I am on 10 mg a week. Sometimes I will take 20 mg a week.

Hiya guys,
This thread has kinda helped me hope again. I've tried accutane low dose 3 months, all back acne cleared but my cheeks still red, acne no where near as bad though. Should I be looking to accutane again? Please look at my topic list I've got a picture up, please help me. And congrats guys

Cheeks still red? How much of a low dose was it? I have been doing low dose for 164 days now and I have zero redness. I need more information from ya, like skin type, if you've ever done a full course, oil levels, acne level, age, sex, etc. Feel free to ask!

Update!:

Everything is still going good and I am clear most of the time. Not all the time. This is what I want to talk about as I have come to the realization.

I still get tiny acne spots from time to time but the Accutane kills it off fairly quickly and it does not happen frequently. Still happy with how things are going. Initially, I thought low dosing would make my skin clear 100% for 100% of my life. No, that is not true. It will help you control it and stay clear, but you will still get some spots now and then. 

However, I am still happy with how it controls my oil levels and greatly reduces inflammation with the blemish I get from time to time. Everyone gets acne from time to time so I'm okay with this. I'm still continuing to do this as the benefits outweigh the bad. No side effects other than drier than normal lips! Woot!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users