Photo

How To Properly Clean Makeup Brushes?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bluegreeneyed

Bluegreeneyed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

Hey all-curious as to how y'all properly dissinfect your makeup brushes to prevent breakouts (I have heard this can cause major breakouts!.yuck!) I don't wash mine often so I'm thinking this may be contributing to the problem. I have read to soak it in 99 isopropyl alcohol then ivory dish soap..got that info here: http://maquillageobs...rushes.html?m=1

What are y'all's methods of cleaning your brushes?

#2 hope27

hope27

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

I use dish soap .. I know it sounds weird I used to use se Sephora makeup brush shampoo and I did't think it took all of the make up off. one day I was broke and didn't want to go to Sephora and buy some more and just used dish soap . I actually saw it took off the make up better off my brushes .. and now I save some money using dish soap ..

#3 melmel87

melmel87

melle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

I've heard of using a solution of dawn dish soap and olive oil. I haven't tried this yet but am also terrible at keeping my brushes clean. Sometimes I'll just use a face wipe to quickly clean a brush. I think the ivory soap with alcohol would really damage the brushes.

#4 katiejanezeebra

katiejanezeebra

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

I shampoo mine once a week and then run teatree oil into them, wash them through and then dry them with my hair dryer...

#5 kylenea

kylenea

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

I use brush shampoo every 3 days, which can be found at Ulta or Sephora. There's also a daily brush spray that Sephora carries!

Both work well, and ensure that you're not spreading bacteria!

I would not use household cleansers, as the effects of the ingredients are unknown and possibly harsh on the skin.

In my opinion, it's best to stick with something specially formulated for the task! They're also cheap, like 10 to 15 dollars for a six-month plus supply!

#6 Boskabouter

Boskabouter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:35 AM

I'm training as a makeup-artist, and what we do is we clean out brushes after each use with a tissue drenched in isopropyl alcohol. Run your brush over the tissue until no more makeup comes of. This will clean and disinfect in one go. 

#7 MelOuttaMegacity

MelOuttaMegacity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:13 PM

How often should the regular person be cleaning their brushes?

And how do you know when the brush is ready to be thrown out?  I've been using the same brushes for two years, I think.  Is that disgusting?

#8 TheSavyBanana

TheSavyBanana

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

I'm training as a makeup-artist, and what we do is we clean out brushes after each use with a tissue drenched in isopropyl alcohol. Run your brush over the tissue until no more makeup comes of. This will clean and disinfect in one go. 

Oh my goodness, such good advice. I'm going to try this.

You! Yes, you. The one reading this. You are beautiful, talented, amazing and simply the best at being you. Never forget that.

You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to you boyfriend/spouse/partner. Not to your coworkers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked "female."

Plea to the world: Eat less meat! Or better yet, don't eat it at all! The meat industry violates basic animal rights, it's destroying our planet, and there are so many health benefits you can gain by decreasing/eliminating meat from your diet. Don't let me tell you- do your own research so you can decide for yourself. (The dairy and egg industries are just as horrendous).

I highly recommend watching the movie Earthlings. ^

#9 solveanceforever

solveanceforever

Cure Acne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

a regular commerical brush cleaner is fine. if you have proof it needs more pm me

1 Start reading --> Help Me! What I Do!?!? /// 2 what to use? right here --> the acne.org line -- why are you making it any more difficult? -- that's all you need. you don't need anything more than that. follow it exactly, then tell me how it was in detail (with photo proofs)

3 is it Christmas yet? -->> Cure Acne Guide <<-- (you may pm me one highest quality evidence for my reviewing)

look, you may not care, but i do -- misinformation or awfully poor data is extremely dangerousmuch comes from marketers, gurus, other media, and simply unreliable, careless people, fake or real, intentionally or not. they are NOT there to help you -- and they don't care about you -- understand that. if they did, they would make sure the data was reliable -- absolutely reliable -- among other things. so you better have diligence. You should care about where you get your data from, because 99% of it is crap, and if you still don't care, then i don't care, and you can go ahead and eat unreliable fast food junk data and bloat yourself up to become a low-quality person for the rest of your life. good people don't want that for you, only the bad do. at times, you'll piss a lot of people off when you tell them what's reality. there's a lot of sigs, and if you want to keep with quality, this is the only place i personally trust until someone shows me solid, reliable evidence. 

i have a one 1-line reply per directly acne-specific thread policy. all distractions/notifications turned off. if you have reliable evidence i should see, you may pm

* evil people have profiteered off of the expense of others long enough,

* so remember im only sharing this guide for those Few people

* that will actually care and appreciate it. im doing you a Huge favour~

#10 Stella the diver

Stella the diver

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

After every use, I wipe it clean with Sephora brush cleaner, and once a week, I'd wash it with Baby shampoo.

My daily routine: 

Morning : Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash, moisturize with Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer w/ spf30

Before bedtime: Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash and apply Tactuo on affected areas

Medication: 100 mg Minocycline/day

Makeup routine: 

Primer: B.Kamins Corrective Mattifier

Foundation: Mary Kay Timewise Matte-wear foundation

Set: Revlon Photoready Translucent Finisher

#11 Lilylily89

Lilylily89

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

I clean my brushes and sponge after every use. I'm very adamant about this because I don't want to break out from a simple thing like not cleaning them. I use regular dish liquid soap and rinse the brushes thoroughly so there's no foam leftover. If you have foam leftover, you didn't wash the brush completely clean and the residue may break you out. I also dry my brushes with a paper towel after and leave them on their sides on another dry paper towel (you can use a towel but make sure to replace them every week ir so as the towel can collect dust and bacteria from the tap water) so the water doesn't go into the funnel and dissipate the glue, thus ruining my brushes.. Last thing, I also spray some rubbing alcohol on my brushes (a couple of centimeters above the brushes, not directly on the bristles!) and leave it for about 20-30 seconds before use. I don't use the same brush twice, I know I sound anal, but that's what I've been doing and it's help keep my acne at bay. Good luck!

#12 Bluegreeneyed

Bluegreeneyed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Thanks everyone!

#13 Morgo K

Morgo K

Skincare enthusiast

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

What ever you wash it with, make sure it's rinsed well to remove any sulphates from the cleanser you use because any residue may come off on your face and cause breakouts

Morning Routine:

- Avene Soapless Gel Cleanser

- Boots Time Delay AHA Toner

- Boots Botanics Rosewater Toning Spritz

- Hyaluronic Acid Serum (homemade)

- Hazelnut oil with rosemary + clary sage (on acne prone areas)

- Alpha Hydrox Enhanced Cream (10% Glycolic Acid)

- SK:N Sunscreen SPF 30

- W7 Camera Ready Primer

Evening Routine:

- Lush Ultrabland + Washcloth 

- Soap & Glory ULTIMELT Hot Cloth Cleanser + Washcloth

- Boots Time Delay AHA Toner

- Differin 0.1% cream 

- Hazelnut oil with rosemary + clary sage (stops oil production)

- Vitamin C Serum (also homemade) OR

- Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair serum

Once/Twice a week:

- Green Clay Mask (+ salicylic acid)

- Exfoliate with No7 skin cleansing brush

#14 SunnySarah

SunnySarah

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

I use Johnson's Head to Toe baby wash. It's very gentle and cleans the makeup off of the brush without ruining the bristles. If you use a soap that is too harsh, it will make the brushes brittle and they will fall off. Any type of baby wash mixed with water will clean off the makeup and bacteria that is on the brush, and it will keep the brush hairs soft.

#15 Tia14

Tia14

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

To clean my make up brushes I just get a big bowl fill it with water then put the brushes in and pour some liquid soap directly on the brushes in the water and then I use my hands to rub them together until they're clean. I then put them on a towel and wait until they're dry then I use some rubbing alcohol to clean it by spaying it on them. Then I leave it to dry for about 4 minutes, and that's it!! 😋