Photo

Last Resort! 20Mg/female/uk

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hi all
I actually had a log about 2yrs ago when I followed the regimen (benzoyl peroxide) but unfortately after working moderately well, my skin fought back with avengeance. :/ I had my first dermatologist appointment on 20 May & after hearing how many things I'd tried, basically described isotretinoin as the only thing that was going to work 100%. If I'm honest I was a bit surprised as although my skin had gotten worse over the last few months, I didn't think it would warrant such a strong drug but he told me it was more because I had no effect with the other drugs & how my acne presented itself, (cheeks & painful jaw/neck ones....pleasant I know!)

So I'm now on Day 8 & needless to say I am fully in IB mode. It's been constant whiteheads since around day 5 Everywhere & my confidence is taking a huge knock. :/

In terms of side effects I have the chapped lips, eczema on my stomach (not normal for me) & increased fatigue, although I do have low iron levels so could be down to that.

If anyone has any tips on how to get through this please let me know! :P & good luck to any other isotretinoin users out there reading. :)
Jess

#2 Tracy1971

Tracy1971

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:20 PM

I used Cetaphil cream for dry skin. Would spritz face with Evian spritz(water) and then slather on the cream. Aquafor for lips. I am getting ready to start month five of 40mg. My face completely cleared up on about day 33 and has been clear since. At work right now and not a stich of makeup on which is unheard of for me. Hope it gets better for you.

#3 Stroking Out

Stroking Out

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

My break out was horrendous, white heads everywhere! It was really embarrassing looking back, I actually cringe at the thought... not to put you off though things do get much better!!! I've heard it's good to take isotretinoin with fatty food as its fat soluble, I wasn't told this before taking it, I actually went on a low fat diet as I was scared about my lipids in the blood tests. I think thats why i didn't see an improvement until month 3.

Good luck with you course anyway!!!!!

#4 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for comments! It helps coming on here & reading that it *does* get better, even though right now I'd do anything to just hide away from the world. (Although work makes this impossible unfortunately!)

I'm going to try and get hold of some cetaphil moisteriser although I hate switching up my products as my skin is so sensitive I'm terrified of changing in case it increases my acne. :/ one thing I am using which I'm not sure is advisable is sudocrem on any painful spots as its the one thing over the years which has really helped with calming things down. I know my dermatologist advised that topicals wouldn't be necessary but I think I can kind of get away with it? (It's an antiseptic healing cream) I'll keep up with it unless my skin starts to get irritated.

#5 Stroking Out

Stroking Out

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:35 PM

Yeah sudocream should be fine, it shouldn't irritate you skin anyway. In a few months or even weeks time (fingers crossed) you shouldn't be getting any painful spots. I'd recommend you use Nivea Lip Essential Care (Dark Blue) for your lips, it was the only one that worked for me!

#6 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

Day 10!

Ooh thanks for the tip with the Nivea. My lips have been INSANELY dry and the worst thing is I've had three pimples come up right at the corners of my mouth and above so when using Vaseline to rub my lips together it's been so painful because they hurt. :/ typical really!

In terms of skin I feel like its starting to get a tiny bit less bumpy but I have a small cystic spot coming up on my cheek which isn't fun....am icing it in the hope it won't get as huge as previous ones I've had! I'm still crazy unconfident at work, and am dreading when meetings start up again (I work as a Committee officer, so clerk a lot of meetings...very exciting stuff there.. ;) ) but keeping my fingers crossed the initial breakout is starting to go away now so I won't be sitting in meetings feeling like everyone is staring at my awful skin. :/ (which in reality I know my skin is not a top priority to these people, but my irrational side can't see that!)

Not really any other side effects now apart from the dry lips although i think my skin in general is getting drier. I'm also a bit gutted I had to cancel my tattoo appointment this weekend, but from what I've read tattoos & isotretinoin are a huge nono. :/

Hope everyone else's skin is treating them nicely!

Edited by Mittensxo, 31 May 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#7 Tracy1971

Tracy1971

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

I haven't heard about not getting tattos....just got one on Monday.

#8 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

Oh right! & I'm assuming all went well? I googled it out of curiosity and it seemed like a lot of people were against it due to your skin being so fragile at this time. I'll probably see how I go & then reschedule in the future. I think I'm going to be on this for about 6 months so I'm not sure i can wait that long anyhow. Or I'll maybe bring it up to my dermatologist in a few weeks. :)

#9 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Day 13
So I think my initial breakout is starting to subside a tiny bit in terms of my cheeks, but my chin and jaw is still ridiculous. I have a huge painful spot just below my lip and about four on my chin which won't go away. The teeny cystic one has basically come to a head (more like three!) but it should start to subside now as I may have messed around with it earlier...(I can't help it!)

Lips are very sore and when I got home I realised it had split open a little bit and was bleeding so that's not great, but other than that feeling OK. :) just hoping my skin continues to get better although I know to keep realistic!

#10 determinedtowin

determinedtowin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:27 AM

I know it's said 1000 times but don't mess with them! I did and have regretted it as my scarring is visible now (not as bad as it could have been though!) 

My skin cleared up 95% but you're only on day 13 and my skin was still terrible until 2 months into the treatment (probably not what you wanted to hear but just being truthful!)

#11 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

I'm always happy to hear when it's worked for someone! Even if secretly I wish it was a quick fix. :P

Day 16
My skin is back to being pretty terrible. :/ I'm hoping it goes away in time for Download festival next weekend but trying not to stress too much. I know it's not as bad as it was a week ago, but it seems that the second I think it's getting better, I wake up to more 'friends' D:

Edited by Mittensxo, 05 June 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#12 determinedtowin

determinedtowin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:18 AM

Have you got any signs of scarring? It took me ages to get Roaccutane (seems they give it out a lot easier these days) and I wish I'd got it earlier! 

#13 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

I have quite a lot of hyperpigmentation but not any other type of scarring. I know what you mean though! I was quite shocked to be given it my first time there, but I have gone privately so I know that might've been one reason I got it so quickly. I also didn't have to do any blood tests or anything which by what I've read, seems really weird! I am glad I'm taking it though, even if it is messing with me right now. :P

#14 determinedtowin

determinedtowin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

That is a bit strange if you're not having blood tests done but to be honest mine were fine every month and I drank when on the drug (I know you shouldn't)

#15 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:03 PM

Day 19
My skin is not being kind to me at all. I feel like I'm back at day 7. I had a huge emotional outburst yesterday to my boyfriend (the words 'you don't understand!!' were deffinately shouted...) but feeling a bit better today and starting to not be so irrational. I know it's going to be hard but I didn't feel prepared for this. (For an idea of my skin, it's around 5 whiteheads/pimples on my left cheek, god knows how many on my right jaw/upper cheek and yeah...beautiful image right now!)

Side effects wise my lips are still very dry, my skin is now starting to get very dry/tight on my face, I have a patch of eczema on my neck and that's about it really. I'm not going to blame accutane for my outburst yesterday because I've had them many times before over my skin & don't think it's the drug.

Hope everyone's skin is treating them well. X

#16 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

Day 22
Skin is still awful. Painful large spots now and I'm off tomorrow to a festival for the weekend. :/ I'm determined not to let my skin dictate how much fun I have but I know I'm going to be horribly self concious whilst I'm there. Urgh, least I see my dermatologist next week so maybe he can offer some advice for this awful initial breakout.

Side effects wise, lips still awful and skin dry. My joints also ache today a lot but hopefully this won't last long.

Hope everyone else's skin is being kind! X

#17 determinedtowin

determinedtowin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:56 AM

Day 22
Skin is still awful. Painful large spots now and I'm off tomorrow to a festival for the weekend. :/ I'm determined not to let my skin dictate how much fun I have but I know I'm going to be horribly self concious whilst I'm there. Urgh, least I see my dermatologist next week so maybe he can offer some advice for this awful initial breakout.

Side effects wise, lips still awful and skin dry. My joints also ache today a lot but hopefully this won't last long.

Hope everyone else's skin is being kind! X

Hang in there! And you've got exactly the right attitude... don't let your skin dictate how much fun you have indeed! I have never let it stop me doing stuff although I can see why it would stop people! 

#18 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I'm actually in my hotel at the mo. unfortunately my skin is still being unkind, I feel like I break out more everyday but I actually am pretty sunburnt which I think has irritated my skin a lot. I didn't bother with a high SPF because its been raining mostly! But obviously I needed one.

I've surprisingly been enjoying myself loads though. :D

Side effects wise I'm now waking up every morning looking like I'm wearing black lipstick (my lips are so dry & bloody at the mo, I smiled yesterday and they starting bleeding!) & joints aching. I'm on day 26 so first month, nearly done!

#19 determinedtowin

determinedtowin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Buy some Aloe Vera Vaseline and absolutely pile it on before you go to bed as they'll only get worse unfortunately!

#20 Mittensxo

Mittensxo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

Will give it a go!

Day 29
Had my dermatologist appointment today. He agreed that my face had flared up but did tell me that the first month was always going to be the worst! Because of my awful initial break out he has also prescribed me predisone (I think I've spelt that wrong!) and I have to say I was hoping that'd be the case because I just need something to take the inflammation away. He's also upped my dose to 30mg and told me this would be the highest I would go for my weight? i find this super low compared to other logs but I'll trust his judgement. He's said that although my skin is 'tricky' (still not sure what he means by that !) I will be very happy with the results....lets hope he's right!