Photo
Mild to Moderate Acne

What Kind Of Acne Is This? (Pictures Included)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#21 Avada Kedavra Acne

Avada Kedavra Acne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:46 PM

Mhhh... Doesnt seem like many actually pimples, but i do see dark marks/post acne marks. Thats all i can tell from the picture. :) 

#22 Madeleine24

Madeleine24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:23 AM

Chemical exfoliation is achieved using products containing AHA's and BHA's. Think of the chemicals like little pacmen, they eat up the dead skin cells. Mechanical exfoliation which you see with your scrubs contain fine beads which physically rub off the dead skin cells. If you have an active pimple with a head this can be bad as it breaks the top off and spreads the infection around your face! The chemical exfoliants are applied like a masque and rinsed off which is much kinder to active pimples. Although mechanical exfoliation should be fine on your acne as it's closed. I'd be very gentle though, there's no need to scrub hard and always choose a product with very small beads, large beads like you see in that St Ives Apricot Scrub can actually cause Rosacea as the harsh beads can burst blood vessels in the skin.

You do exfoliation at home (you can go to a salon if you want to but will cost you a lot for one facial treatment!). I can't think of too many chemical exfoliant products off the top of my head. In my cupboard I have  "Elemis Tri Enzyme Resurfacing Gel" and "Collin Phyco Radiance Treatment" The Collin I picked up from an obscure beauty clinic years ago, it's quite hard to find. Any Enzyme masque should work!

Here's some more info:
http://www.dermalins...xfoliation.html

Is this it right here at nordstroms? its so expensive geez! i canr really afford that at the moment lol. http://m.nordstrom.c...ea-001b2166becc

What about this neutrogena oil free acne wash pink grapefruit scrub? It says it has max strength SA in it
http://m.ulta.com/mt...at80182#details

>a salicylic acid wash used regularly will help heal the clogged pores but it will take time.
peels use SA of higher concentration but works faster.
for healing in a mild way and for prevention in future,i always suggest a wash on regular basis.

A wash on a regular basis with SA in it? Would you recommend I wash with my regular cetaphil cleanser in the morning and then at night with the SA cleanser to remove makeup and buildup better?

That is the product yes, I used to have money. Luckily I have a bathroom stocked full of products to last me until I find another job haha. My bathroom is overflowing with all my crap...Poor boyfriend gets one tiny shelf for his stuff :P!

I have tried that oil-free acne wash before but found it really drying so if you are going to use it, make sure you moisturize well.  

#23 Bluegreeneyed

Bluegreeneyed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

I looked up the acne stress control and I don't think I could use that one. Looking at the ingredients, it appears to be for pretty tough acne. It has glycolic acid in and while I love the glycolic night cream I got, I don't think my skin could handle a dose everyday twice a day. Also, there are several dyes in that one and I don't do well with that. But that's just me, you should always try a cleanser for at least a few days to see if your skin starts to like it. For topicals or creams, it takes longer than that. 
I believe that sensitive skin is more of an issue than my acne. Of course I always want to make sure I'm treating my acne, but everything that's a little more aggressive for acne, ends up disrupting my skin sensitivities. And if my skin is inflamed or hurting, then my acne gets worse. I would treat your sensitive skin first. A calm face is a happier face. And that's too bad about the mask, it's like a pore purging miracle for me. But only once every 10-14 days or even just once a month. I have to be careful with it otherwise It think I would be red for days!

The silk pillow case-I was actually thinking about this too! I would like to try it out since I hear it's great for hair as well. It's said to be less absorbent. I guess people think that it won't steal some of our natural oils. Makes sense I think? 

Yes, enjoy your crisp lemon water! Lemons for me are a godsend! Having sensitive skin and a sensitive intestinal tract-I'm so grateful that they are available year round and super cheap. Skin, hair, body-I have just really had good luck using lemons all together. :)

And actually, I'm glad you guys "hijacked" the post there for a bit :) -made me think of something. Bluegreeneyed-a few years ago, I had a fungal infection on my cheeks and my regular doctor prescribed me Nystatin cream. It was gone in two days. Maybe you can ask a doctor about that if you haven't already?

I'm not sure if its fungal or not, or cosmetic acne..gr! My derm never did any skin tests to see if it was fungal, she just prescribed me an anti biotic which didn't get rid on the bumps on my forehead..so maybe that means its fungal related? & not bacteria related? I don't know if I'm making sense because I don't fully understand it lol. But I know I have had these bumps on my forehead for a long time now..since I was about 13? So I know it's not cosmetic acne

#24 Oilygirl1980

Oilygirl1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

Hmmm, i see your frustration. I recently dealt with forehead bumps. Painless, itchless, but never came to a head either. I didnt really think it was even acne. For me, it ended up being an issue with trying to discontinue benzoyl peroxide and also an allergic reaction to some of the natural products i was trying.

The thing with cosmetic acne- yours could be. :( Our bodies change so drastically from one year to the next. When i was in highschool, i could wear foundation or powder no problem. But as i got older, my endo and pcos got worse. My cycle got all crazy and the oily skin just kept coming. Also, allergies. I had ZERO problems with perfumes and soaps and grass in high school, then all of a sudden i got rashes from dryer sheets, i had to switch to baby body wash for weird soap irritation and face powder started giving me major trouble. I tried a whole bunch of brands, mineral, natural, liquid, cream to powder ugh....it was exhausting. I finally had to accept the fact that all over makeup was no longer an option. I found products that helped with my tone and just learned to accept that my natural complexion was pretty enough. Which was hard, but eventually i got compliments for having clear skin and people could tell there was no foundation of any kind on my skin. I never have to worry about looking TOO matte, or too cakey. Theres no powder to settle into pores and fine lines and having super simple makeup (blush, mascara, and concealer only) is great. Doesnt take too long and i dont have 18 brushes in a drawer taking up space. And i never have to worry about that makeup jaw line all us girls notice on other girls because our bathroom lighting is so different than lighting at work or school. I realize this is a pretty aggressive outlook on excessive or unnecessary makeup, but because of my skin type, i have to accept that things for me are very different than my friends who have normal non acne prone skin. But, with that said, ill never discount advice from friends or their recommendations since eveything is always worth a chance. I mean, my makeup was recommended by a friend and it was the best switch i ever made. A friend and a girl on here made me aware of BB cream. I was so excited to try it but didnt work for me at all and i broke out. Also, it didnt do anything to cover up old acne marks and my oil poured right through it within an hour, but at least i gave it a shot. Everything is ALWAYS worth at least one substantial chance.
My mom warned me of all the fun changes that happen as we get older, but i guess i didnt truly know what i was in for.

I kind of doubt yours is fungal but at least ask the doc. On here and from doctors and friends we learn all the 8474 causes of acne and/or oily skin.
Water intake, diet, vitamin deficiencies, sleep habits, weather, stress, hormones, exercise, cosmetics, cleansers, lotions, topicals, antibiotics, immune issues, intestinal issues, fungal, bacterial, genetics....the list is endless. All you can do is attack each one and make sure youre on the right track and when you feel comfortable ruling it out, move on to the next. If the products you have been using forever arent working and you keep having skin issues, try replacing each thing with something else for a substantial amount of time. The thing that sucks with this is learning the difference between a reaction, a break out, and an adjustment period. I dont know if i completely believe in the theory of "purging" but there is def a period where i had no idea what the hell was wrong with my skin. The allergic reaction became the easiest thing to spot and i was able to discontinue use faster and get to the next thing to try.
I made the mistake of trying an entire new line of products all at once. I probably should have tried one thing at a time so i could better pinpoint an issue. It got to the point of using so many new things, i had no idea which one was causing what. I thought of maybe ditching everything but a cleanser. Just getting back to basics since my bathroom drawer was filling up pretty quickly but that was a scary idea.
One thing is for sure, you WILL figure this out. And we are all here to help. Just stay as positive as you can. :)

#25 Madeleine24

Madeleine24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:41 AM

Oilygirl1980 I agree. I am suddenly allergic to everything too sad.png! Garnier body lotion I used to use with no problem at all now leaves me with an itchy rash! I have swapped to a body wash designed for people with eczema and am doing a lot better. My neck seems to have a bumpy  rash atm and I don't know what to do sad.png!

Bluegreeneyed what products did your derm give you to try? Just anti biotic cream or did it have benzoyl peroxide in it too?  Have you just tried salicyic acid. Oh and if you go and get a professional facial they can usually remove these forehead bumps in your facial. Atleast I found that it seems to. Only problem is a good facial is quite pricey sad.png! My esthetician uses 'scaling fluid' by dermalogica and does extractions. Although I haven't been in about 6 months cos I unfortunately have other priorities with my expenditures!

Edited by Madeleine24, 03 June 2013 - 03:44 AM.

#26 Oilygirl1980

Oilygirl1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Oh Madeleine! I'm sorry to hear that. These weird sudden reactions are so frustrating since we all use so many products to target something specific, it's hard to know what's causing what!! I suppose it's partly because our body skin, neck skin, and face skin are all so different. I'm on a med for migraines and it makes me itchy, but it only causes hives on the back of my legs. Nowhere else. Ugh. 

I use johnson and johnson's baby moisture care wash and it's a good thing I like the smell because it's really all I can use. I guess you could maybe try that, but I get the feeling it's not your body soap that's causing that. Is it your weather maybe? Like a heat rash or something? Have you changed shampoos lately? I'm just trying to think of anything that could affect your neck like that. I hope you get it figured out. :(

Also Madeleine- Could you maybe tell me and Bluegreeneyed a little more about facials? I don't know if she's had one, but I've always been nervous about them. When my skin is damp and heated, it's VERY easy to accidentally scrape some off. (Bandaids even do this to me. :( ) I do fairly well with extracting blackheads myself. I just use my aztec clay mask and after rinsing it off, I wrap my fingers in kleenex and SO much comes out of my pores. The clay mask is nice since it seems to shrink my pores just for a day or two. Wish it was permanent, but not with oily skin!! But I'm still curious to see if maybe it's a good idea for some of my more stubborn areas.  

Also can I ask about cleansing with distilled water? What are the benefits of this?

#27 Madeleine24

Madeleine24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

Sorry for the late reply I had been using my mobile phone for internet and it's very annoying to navigate.

Facials are great. Your skin will be assessed first and you also fill out a form to list your current skincare products and any medication you are taking. Facial always begins with a double cleanse, then exfoliation (and extractions, done safely), a face and neck massage, next the masque is applied for 10 minutes. Masque is rinsed and moisturizer, eye cream etc is applied. I find the Dermalogica trained ladies do their extractions very well, my forehead feels completely smooth after. I also had a facial at another spa and my therapist created a custom facial for me with mixed brands using Decleor and Priori. She also gave me a sample of a serum containing retin a. Took that home used it every night and my forehead was completely clear again!. Another facial you can't go wrong with is products by Biologique Recherche (quite rare to find though? I had this done at a spa in Hong Kong Four Seasons). They have their own unique exfoliation technique, the products are also very active so you feel the benefits for quite a few days after the facial your skin improves a lot.

I think facials are great even the skin assessment helps a lot and you also learn new things about your skin and techniques to using products.

Oh and distilled water is great if you have hard water at home. It's unfortunately a bit pricey for me to keep using considering I cleanse my face twice a day. I am sure it's cheap in the states and other parts of the world haha. I have just gone back to using filtered shower water (it's still hard though :(!). And my skin is breaking out again. So I really think it makes a huge difference if you can persist with it as it is a bit of  a hassle. I would heat some distilled water up in the microwave so it's warm, put that into a drink bottle. In the shower you pour a little on your face to cleanse with, and then pour a whole lot more to rinse. Avoiding the water in the shower touching your skin at all.

Edited by Madeleine24, 12 June 2013 - 04:23 AM.

#28 aanabill

aanabill

Sad has made me value happy!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

the whole system u say is available here but the facial method and procedure u mention if done in my country(which has many many many parlors) will cost me my kidney and a part of my uterus(taxes extra!!!).crazy.gif

here ,in general (not very cheap,not very expensive) parlours what they do is not bad but nothing near this.and in parlours which are user friendly(read cheap) - i will probably end up having fevicol on my face and neck!!

*shudder*

double cleanse?

ROFL!

i'd be pleased if the women in the parlour very near my place double cleanse her hands before touching me!

#29 Oilygirl1980

Oilygirl1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

Thanks Madeleine! Im going to look into these. Im worried about reactions since i have bad luck with way too many products but i wonder, do you think they might do some extractions without serums? Or can it not be done that way? I dont tear up my skin doing my own blackheads but sometimes its a little red for a day. Thinking they could maybe do something different. But ill ask them about whats best for allergy prone skin.

#30 Madeleine24

Madeleine24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

Thanks Madeleine! Im going to look into these. Im worried about reactions since i have bad luck with way too many products but i wonder, do you think they might do some extractions without serums? Or can it not be done that way? I dont tear up my skin doing my own blackheads but sometimes its a little red for a day. Thinking they could maybe do something different. But ill ask them about whats best for allergy prone skin.

The therapist will tailor the facial for your needs and tell them any sensitives you have. They probably could do extractions without but I think the products they use should be fine for sensitive skin and help change the PH of the skin for the extraction. They (dermalogica)  also have a gel masque which is amazing for sensitive skin. Sometimes they will even apply 2 masques to different parts of your face if you need it, like I get really red cheeks so the gel masque and a clay mask on my Tzone.

#31 Oilygirl1980

Oilygirl1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

I could definitely use this on my nose. :) Thank you!