Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Acne Stopped You From Your Goals?

60 posts in this topic

Acne hasn't stopped me from my goals but it makes getting there less fun. Since i am so preoccupied with my skin, the experience is not as carefree as i'd like it to be. Wishing that all of us can get out of this physical and mental anquish soon.

1 person likes this

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end. Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

yes because i have become relegated to working with my hands doing manual labor in a type of job i absolutely hate and probably a job that made my acne even worse.

my goal right now it trying to regain some sense of normalcy. im afraid i will never feel that again.

School-wise and my aspirations for a career have not been hampered.

BUT it has created a lot of social anxiety for me. I don't look people in the eyes, especially males. I would never ever ever approach a man I found appealing, to simply start a conversation.

When I drink and feel more at ease about it, but am working hard to change that habit. Sadly, I have actually been on the brink of potential relationships with a few really good guys but have let my anxiety (as a whole, not just my acne/scars) and overanylizations push me away completely.

All of these stem from my divorce too. I was marries from 22 to 26 and it was my only relationship. I don;t know how to be around guys without drinking to calm my nerves. I assume all males are repulsed by me and on top of that I HATE awkwardness to a point that I avoid certain situations in the off chance it'll go that route.

I am working on changing these habits and terrible assumptions.

Your like better looking than some of the actresses in the Indian film Industry. Go chase your dreams girl!...

1 person likes this

Also - girls (and guys for that matter) do you hate how with acne, you cannot be spontaneous with anything?

If I am invited out I require a few hours notice so I can get myself looking presentable, this is the case even if someone just comes to visit me at home.

If a friend called me up to say they would be round in 10 minutes to drop something to me I would be filled with panic. Or if my husband decides to randomly call a neighbour up and invite them to dinner if we make more food that we expected it would fill me with dread and make me freak out. In fact, all that stuff has actually happened!

It is the absolute pits, feeling like you are forced to wear make up in front of people to prevent comments about your skin. Hate feeling so trapped, I don't even like wearing make up, would go without it as often as possible if I had nice skin.

This state of mind has prevented me from doing a lot, who knows - if my skin had never been affected with acne perhaps I'd have gone round the world backpacking, but I need some sort of concrete plan that I'm in control of when it comes to leisure activities.

4 people like this

I guess I've always been sort of hesitant and anxious my whole life! I've never really known FOR SURE what I'm supposed to do .. it always seems that with other people they just know what they want to do in life and they have these *concrete goals* .. and I've always sort of drifted around .. it feels like I'm deficient or something, not having that motivation to go out and do big things.

Acne has definitely held me back though. The biggest way I can think of is that during high school, I had terrible cystic acne that was so hard to cover with makeup that I was late nearly every day because I kept trying to get it "perfect" which was impossible. I would cry in front of the mirror so often .. I felt like a monster. I was already clinically depressed and it just made things worse. I would skip days when it was really bad, and eventually I just stopped going altogether. I dropped out and never even got my GED. Looking back I know I should have just finished .. on the other hand jobs are so terrible here that I don't think it matters. Everyone I work with got their diploma and yet we're all working the same sort of job!

When I was on accutane I did have really clear skin and things were great. I didn't feel nervous going out with friends and felt pretty confident most of the time. But my social anxiety (unrelated to skin issues) crept back in and I don't really go out anymore. My acne has come back again too. But I'm dealing with it. I have ideas about getting into a real "career" .. but I'm just not sure what is right for me. I'm fascinated by dermatology and nutrition but those are fields that take enormous amounts of time and money to get into.

I'm really lucky because I have a husband who loves me and doesn't care about my zits. He keeps me motivated to keep working and getting out there and I do it because I love him and want to help him. My biggest goal right now is to earn and save enough money (I'm almost there!) to go ahead and have a baby. I want to be a mother and acne certainly won't stop me from doing that. :)

2 people like this

tumblr_mnwcm10dXd1qc1ptao1_500edited.jpg

Your like better looking than some of the actresses in the Indian film Industry. Go chase your dreams girl!...

Itchy red raised skin - dermatitis??

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

inflamed whiteheads & clogged pores

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

may be because they are actresses.ideally actresses shouldnt have anything to do with looks but i'll admit it is a 'look oriented field'!

but then most there are more than looks.could be acting skills or in some cases personality / panache / source / PR skills(which is a skill btw) / smartness!

i dont know if am right but if i were to have bad acne all way long,i'd definitely carry on with my attempts to treat it but i would put in extra effort in my career because that is one thing i cant be hold back at.

i'd study harder and worker double to make it big without caring what my skin can do to me.

i'd rather do it!

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

my balanced diet chart and skincare routine(medications taken & products used now)

may be because they are actresses.ideally actresses shouldnt have anything to do with looks but i'll admit it is a 'look oriented field'!

but then most there are more than looks.could be acting skills or in some cases personality / panache / source / PR skills(which is a skill btw) / smartness!

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

Well as Shobha De' has said in her book "Selective memories", The celebrity field in India and all over the world is dominated by looks.Even in sports where impetus is on skills,the better looking celebrities get the lion's share of the cake.P.T Usha has better records any day than Ashwini Nachappa.But Ashwini always had more media attention.Same with Sunil gawaskar,Ajay Jadeja and Leander paes. Who remembers Viswanathan Anand ,when infact he is the one who is making serious moves and money! So if sports is influenced by looks and glamour,Bollywood is ONLY looks when it comes to females.Who looks for a "personality" in Katrina Kaif? Personality? What personality? For the love of God,she hardly has any speaking skills LOL

Well as Shobha De' has said in her book "Selective memories", The celebrity field in India and all over the world is dominated by looks.Even in sports where impetus is on skills,the better looking celebrities get the lion's share of the cake.P.T Usha has better records any day than Ashwini Nachappa.But Ashwini always had more media attention.Same with Sunil gawaskar,Ajay Jadeja and Leander paes. Who remembers Viswanathan Anand ,when infact he is the one who is making serious moves and money! So if sports is influenced by looks and glamour,Bollywood is ONLY looks when it comes to females.Who looks for a "personality" in Katrina Kaif? Personality? What personality? For the love of God,she hardly has any speaking skills LOL

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

I like Aishwarya Rai. That is all smile.png. Haha

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

probably because ur eyes and some facial features are quite like her.

one thing i'd advice u - stress as less as u can.its good for ur skin.

also,are u working out well on what works for u and what not for u acne?

through diet or med whatever?

i only see ur posts here on emotional forums.just curious!

My daily routine:

Morning : Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash, moisturize with Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer w/ spf30

Before bedtime: Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash and apply Tactuo on affected areas

Medication: 100 mg Minocycline/day

Makeup routine:

Primer: B.Kamins Corrective Mattifier

Foundation: Mary Kay Timewise Matte-wear foundation

Set: Revlon Photoready Translucent Finisher

the ratio of omega 3 : omega 6 should be 1: 4

so if u get that amount through diet,i dnt see any extra need.

u could use flax seeds and have fish(preferably cold water fish).

stella,i've never asked u about ur diet.

oops!

wrong place though.

i'll PM u instead!

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

the ratio of omega 3 : omega 6 should be 1: 4

so if u get that amount through diet,i dnt see any extra need.

u could use flax seeds and have fish(preferably cold water fish).

stella,i've never asked u about ur diet.

oops!

wrong place though.

i'll PM u instead!

My daily routine:

Morning : Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash, moisturize with Cetaphil Oil Control Moisturizer w/ spf30

Before bedtime: Wash face with Cetaphil Oil Control Foam Wash and apply Tactuo on affected areas

Medication: 100 mg Minocycline/day

Makeup routine:

Primer: B.Kamins Corrective Mattifier

Foundation: Mary Kay Timewise Matte-wear foundation

Set: Revlon Photoready Translucent Finisher

well.i've heard a nutritionist say so.on TV.

now,i've read blogs which says that its considered 4:1 in general.its considered healthy.

but some argue that our ancestors had the ratio as 1:1 to 2:1

but no firm evidence for it.plus most thinks 1:1 is quite impossible in today life.

so aim for 4:1 ,its more than good.

the general ratio in most countries are around 8-12 : 1 to sometimes 20-50 :1

the only westernised country with 4:1 general ratio is probably japan.

i'll send u some links if u want.

plus its not like u dnt need omega 6 at all.

here,

huge pores

indented scar

oils used for cooking

Hi. I really feel that acne destroys your life. 5years ago, I met the most amazing guy and we dated for a while but then he had to move to another country for work. We tried the long distance thing but it didnt work out. I have dated other guys after him but never really had the connection that I had with him. In the past 2 years or so, I have been having really bad acne which was due to hormones. I tried heaps of stuff but nothing worked. As a result of that, I have a lot of rolling scars. My dream guy contacted me few months ago and wants to meet me again. I dont have the courage to meet him as he remembers me as the old me, one without any scars. I have been trying to make excuses when all i want is to meet him and be with him. He said that he has been thinking about me a lot and wants to give us another try. He says stuff like, I remember your beautiful face and running my fingers over ur smooth skin. I know that I will never have the courage to meet him again and feel like when he sees me, all he will see is my scars. He is the only guy I ever loved and the acne scars are stopping me from meeting him again. I am so depressed because of it.

1 person likes this

Hi. I really feel that acne destroys your life. 5years ago, I met the most amazing guy and we dated for a while but then he had to move to another country for work. We tried the long distance thing but it didnt work out. I have dated other guys after him but never really had the connection that I had with him. In the past 2 years or so, I have been having really bad acne which was due to hormones. I tried heaps of stuff but nothing worked. As a result of that, I have a lot of rolling scars. My dream guy contacted me few months ago and wants to meet me again. I dont have the courage to meet him as he remembers me as the old me, one without any scars. I have been trying to make excuses when all i want is to meet him and be with him. He said that he has been thinking about me a lot and wants to give us another try. He says stuff like, I remember your beautiful face and running my fingers over ur smooth skin. I know that I will never have the courage to meet him again and feel like when he sees me, all he will see is my scars. He is the only guy I ever loved and the acne scars are stopping me from meeting him again. I am so depressed because of it.

1 person likes this

Thanks. I have decided to meet him coz if I dont meet him, I have no chance but if I do there is a small possibility that he might accept me despite the scars.

2 people like this

A few long term goals, yes, but mostly short-term, or more immediate ones. The one big long term goal my skin has kept me from is going away to a top university- well, any university for that matter. I could easily go away to some really good schools, but I'm choosing to go to the university 15 minutes away from my house so that I won't have to room with anyone and expose my horrendous skin. I'm probably taking the easy way out, but I'm doing it anyway. I've also always been really into fitness, especially long distance running, but when I started getting acne, I started wearing makeup, and I couldn't exercise for long periods of time with makeup on without it looking disastrous and causing breakouts. I really want to participate in a triathlon, but I can't imagine how badly my skin would react.

For what it's worth, you could totally be a model. You're gorgeous. I completely understand your fears though. :/