Photo

Canadians Don't Have As Much Acne Because Of Vitamin D Levels?

66 replies to this topic

#61 Kim28

Kim28

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:02 PM

Oh sheesh. There is a McDonalds down the street from me, and I am certain there are a bunch of Canadians in there EATING THAT CRAP RIGHT NOW. Sorry, alternitivista, but, like you, I find it incredibly bothersome when my fellow Canadians start acting as though they are better than Americans. Even our healthcare system is far from perfect, although I do appreciate it. And I must say - with the windchill it is -29 F where I am right now, so being a Canadian is not always so super happy yay.

#62 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

Does anyone remember when that "French Women Don't Get Fat" book came out? How about "Bringing Up Bebe" that promises the French have nice, compliant children? I have no idea how these silly stereotypes perpetuate. France certainly has obese people waddling around, and some of the most spoiled, whiny, tantrum-y children I've seen eusa_boohoo.gif

The one real difference is that America is covered by the media 24/7. Americans do have a habit recording others and being recorded, and then posting that information on the internet, the tv, anywhere anyone will see. America is not very private. What came out of America...let's see...Facebook...MySpace...Reality TV...yeah, privacy is not a very high priority. 

I don't see a whole lot of "let's make fun of random Canadians I shot pictures of in Wal-Mart" web sites, or "let's gather all the fattest people in France and film them trying to lose weight". It's easy to idealize countries that are a bit more mysterious, just because we're ignorant of their flaws. 

Edited by Green Gables, 11 December 2013 - 10:56 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#63 bubbles55

bubbles55

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

There are reasons for this and it has nothing to do with vitamin D. Here we go:

- Canada has a much smaller population, 35 million, less people, less acne in comparison to the U.S.

- Universal healthcare. Canadians at any income can get their acne treated or under control free of charge which is probaby why people are claiming to see 'less' of acne in Canada.

- Cold climate (which  is less likely to aggravate acne)

#64 Twosteps

Twosteps

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:03 PM

this thread should be closed… evidence is anecdotal at best.  I am american and I very rarely see other people with bad cystic acne.  This is probably more indicative of the psychological impact acne has on people.  The worse your acne is the more likely you are to minimize  your social interaction.

I also have never seen a paper that provides a pathway for Vit D to reduce acne on its lonesome.  It seems, when it comes to reducing acne, there is a stark contrast between sitting on your ass inside and moving around outside in the sun.  However, I would be amazed if Vitamin D was the sole mechanism of this reduction.

Also, nationalist silliness that is the first dozen or so replies is shameful to both countries.

thread should be closed

edit: more fun font

Edited by Twosteps, 03 April 2014 - 02:05 PM.

#65 bubbles55

bubbles55

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

this thread should be closed… evidence is anecdotal at best.  I am american and I very rarely see other people with bad cystic acne.  This is probably more indicative of the psychological impact acne has on people.  The worse your acne is the more likely you are to minimize  your social interaction.

I also have never seen a paper that provides a pathway for Vit D to reduce acne on its lonesome.  It seems, when it comes to reducing acne, there is a stark contrast between sitting on your ass inside and moving around outside in the sun.  However, I would be amazed if Vitamin D was the sole mechanism of this reduction.

Also, nationalist silliness that is the first dozen or so replies is shameful to both countries.

thread should be closed

edit: more fun font

I don't think we can really compare canada to the u.s in terms of acne prevalance as I mentioned before because of the dramatic population difference. A country like china or russia in comparison to the united states in terms of how many people get acne would be an interesting comparison.

Apparently many people in china suffer from inflammatory acne (as I've heard here on the forums).

Edited by bubbles55, 03 April 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#66 CyanCoral

CyanCoral

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

If it was true, I have a hunch that it has to do with different diets. In the US, high-fructose corn syrup and other processed foods are promoted to a higher extent than Canada and these have been shown make acne worse, generally. 

But I'm not sure that Canadians really have less acne. 

#67 5ive

5ive

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Canada doesn't put hormones in our milk: "Growth hormones to stimulate milk production are not approved for sale or permitted for use in Canada."

Source: http://www.dairygood...s-not-in-canada

Either way, I cut out milk and have seen amazing results from that.

I see a lot of people with acne here, though!

Check out my Regimen Log HERE.

Back on DKR full force after trying to get off of it with horrible results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users