Can Coffee Cause Hormonal Breakouts?

21 replies to this topic

#1 Bluegreeneyed

Bluegreeneyed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

I was curious about this because it seems like (not positive or if I'm just being paranoid) but it seems like when I drink more coffee I get more tiny red bumps all over my face and they itch slightly. Anyone else have this happen to them when they drink coffee? I'm thinking about going off of it but I love it to much!

#2 LewisS

LewisS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

If you have an intolerance to caffeine, quite possibly. Me and caffeine do not go at all, so I avoid it at all costs.  

#3 NUBY3

NUBY3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me
  • Interests:running, hiking, golf, writing music, art, learning, things that make me laugh

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

caffeine gives you energy because it stimulates your adrenal gland to produce adrenaline.  Which is a hormone that puts your body into a "fight or flight" state.  So it DIRECTLY effects hormones.  It also causes you to produce more sebum.  hope this helps.

ps.. prolonged caffeine abuse can cause your adrenal gland to require caffeine for stimulation, which is a bad thing.  

Edited by NUBY3, 16 May 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#4 Bluegreeneyed

Bluegreeneyed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

caffeine gives you energy because it stimulates your adrenal gland to produce adrenaline.  Which is a hormone that puts your body into a "fight or flight" state.  So it DIRECTLY effects hormones.  It also causes you to produce more sebum.  hope this helps.

ps.. prolonged caffeine abuse can cause your adrenal gland to require caffeine for stimulation, which is a bad thing.  

Question..but if your body is used to drinking coffee and you really don't get the "flight or fight" state like jitters, sweating etc does ur body still internally (even though you do not have symptoms on the outside) does it still stimulate your Adrenal gland?

#5 NUBY3

NUBY3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me
  • Interests:running, hiking, golf, writing music, art, learning, things that make me laugh

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

I would say yes, but as you build a tolerance, maybe not as much.  I think it would take an awful lot of it to actually be harmful.  I don't think there is anything wrong with being a coffee drinker.  Too much of anything can be harmful.

#6 Bluegreeneyed

Bluegreeneyed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:19 PM

I would say yes, but as you build a tolerance, maybe not as much.  I think it would take an awful lot of it to actually be harmful.  I don't think there is anything wrong with being a coffee drinker.  Too much of anything can be harmful.

Very true! Not really sure if coffee is the culprit for my acne, but I'm thinking about not drinking it for about a month and seeing if I have any improvement. Thanks for the info!

#7 mikito

mikito

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

Beside, coffe reduce zinc levels, and low zinc levels can cause acne.

#8 melmel87

melmel87

melle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Caffeine increases androgens, plain and simple. If you're prone to acne, consuming caffeine can make it worse.

#9 Madeleine24

Madeleine24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

It sucks because health professionals say what you eat or drink won't affect your acne, but it does because what we eat or drink can affect our hormone levels. Yet lucky people like my boyfriend can drink 8 shots of coffee a day and never get a pimple :(!!!!

SUPPLEMENTS:

Orthoplex Multi Flora Probiotic

Zinc & Vitamin C

#10 Bluegreeneyed

Bluegreeneyed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

It sucks because health professionals say what you eat or drink won't affect your acne, but it does because what we eat or drink can affect our hormone levels. Yet lucky people like my boyfriend can drink 8 shots of coffee a day and never get a pimple :(!!!!

I know don't you hate that? How some people can just eat/drink whatever they want and not get a single pimple? I'm so jealous!

#11 Lee1234

Lee1234

Wanderer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Zombies!!!!!!!!!,Cooking, selective research, intellectual conversations, comedy, oriental culture/cuisine, anime, Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX etc, manga, films,nature, holistic living, working out, writing short stories/poems, consoles, etc etc.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:05 PM

Caffeine is bad, yet green tea is loaded with it. What makes green tea different?, or is it just as bad?.

"Long hair makes a good looking man, beautiful and an ugly man fierce"

#12 Madeleine24

Madeleine24

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:12 PM

Green tea isn't actually that caffeinated. About a quarter to half of the amount of caffeine found in a cup of coffee. Depending on the type of coffee you have. Also it's very cleansing.

And Bluegreeneyed, I know way too many people who eat absolute crap as well and still have good skin. It's not fair :(! I figured if they're females they are probably on birth control...I could be wrong. Guys are lucky their hormones don't fluctuate so much.

SUPPLEMENTS:

Orthoplex Multi Flora Probiotic

Zinc & Vitamin C

#13 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:52 AM

You know your body best. Cut it out and see what happens! If you don't, you'll just be wondering every day and that's not healthy.

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

#14 Bluegreeneyed

Bluegreeneyed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

You know your body best. Cut it out and see what happens! If you don't, you'll just be wondering every day and that's not healthy.

I feel like I don't though (lol) our body is so confusing and with our modern day diet it's hard to figure out what is contributing to your acne if its being exasturbated by foods. But I have stopped drinking coffee for almost a week now and I think I see less inflammation, but I'm not totally sure. I'll give it more time.

#15 Holly101

Holly101

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

I am currently on roaccutane treatment for my acne. In the past few weeks I have started to notice my acne clearing and redness going down after 3 months of treatment HOWEVER today I had 2 lattes from a coffee shop and tonight have noticed a huge increase in redness and new spots on my skin. I never usually drink coffee so this is the only trigger I can think of that will have cause it. I would say coffee can make acne worse

#16 CarpeMomentum

CarpeMomentum

Feeling blessed and thankful daily

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

Another thought to throw into this convo, if you are drinking your coffee with sugar and/or milk as those two things will also lead to inflammation within the body.  Dairy obviously affects many people.  I know that all 3 are triggers for me, so I drink 1 cup of decaffeinated with coconut creamer and stevia.  either that or there are coffee alternatives such as Dandy Root or Teacino which is a roasted chicory blend.  Depends on how desperate you are :)  I love to have a warm cup of something in the morning, but I'd rather it not cause a pimple lol

Spiro 50 mg

Yasmin

Doxy 100 mg 2 x day

Am and Pm

Cerave Foaming Cleanser

DDF Glycolic toner (LOVE this!!)

Spot treat with Tea Tree Oil

BP- 2.5% or 10%

Cerave PM

Dairy, Gluten, Sugar and Caffeine free.  Boring I know ;)

#17 SoftFocus

SoftFocus

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:painting, art, biking, nature

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

Yes coffee can if you are sensitive to it.

Carpemomentum, where do you get teacino from?

#18 CarpeMomentum

CarpeMomentum

Feeling blessed and thankful daily

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

SoftFocus- I get it at a local health food store, but here is a link to Vitacost that has pretty good deals.  Sorry I mispelled it before!  http://www.vitacost....ts&Ntt=teeccino

Spiro 50 mg

Yasmin

Doxy 100 mg 2 x day

Am and Pm

Cerave Foaming Cleanser

DDF Glycolic toner (LOVE this!!)

Spot treat with Tea Tree Oil

BP- 2.5% or 10%

Cerave PM

Dairy, Gluten, Sugar and Caffeine free.  Boring I know ;)

#19 smiles23

smiles23

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:24 PM

Hey I am the exact same!

I am a HUGE coffee lover… I have been drinking one coffee a day for the past couple of years. I've been suffering from acne for a lot longer though, on and off, so I never considered this as a potential link. 

However in the last two years when I was a heavy drinker (of coffee hehe) I started to break out around my mouth, and now my jaw/cheeks area. Same as you, small red itchy bumps that occasionally come out as whiteheads. 

I drink my coffee with cream, but something is telling me it may be a caffeine intolerance! maybe dairy too, but I have cut dairy out of my diet accept for in my coffee.

Thing is, Im definitely thinking its a caffeine intolerance because I gave up dairy and coffee this summer by drinking large amounts of green tea (which has quite a bit of caffeine I'm told) instead for a couple weeks… breakouts didn't go away or subside. This is telling me its a caffeine intolerance!

Have you cut coffee out? how is your skin? 

#20 hearts

hearts

♡ ♡ ♡

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Hey I am the exact same!

I am a HUGE coffee lover… I have been drinking one coffee a day for the past couple of years. I've been suffering from acne for a lot longer though, on and off, so I never considered this as a potential link. 

However in the last two years when I was a heavy drinker (of coffee hehe) I started to break out around my mouth, and now my jaw/cheeks area. Same as you, small red itchy bumps that occasionally come out as whiteheads. 

I drink my coffee with cream, but something is telling me it may be a caffeine intolerance! maybe dairy too, but I have cut dairy out of my diet accept for in my coffee.

Thing is, Im definitely thinking its a caffeine intolerance because I gave up dairy and coffee this summer by drinking large amounts of green tea (which has quite a bit of caffeine I'm told) instead for a couple weeks… breakouts didn't go away or subside. This is telling me its a caffeine intolerance!

Have you cut coffee out? how is your skin? 

The amount of caffeine in green tea is ~20-40mg per 8 oz. (240 mL). The amount in coffee is ~95-200mg per 8 oz. (240 mL).

Quite a difference, but I suppose if you drank enough green tea the caffeine could still affect you if you actually have an intolerance. You could try cutting out caffeine for a few months to see if your skin reacts. For me personally, caffeine has no noticeable effect on my skin.

Here is another thought to add to the discussion... perhaps it's not actually caffeine intolerance that is cause, but rather vitamin/mineral deficiencies. Drinking a lot of coffee can deplete/decrease absorption of a lot of essential vitamins like thiamine (vitamin B1), inositol, etc. Now that I am supplementing with the appropriate vitamins and minerals, hormonal treatment doesn't seem as necessary. Just a thought. (: 

Edited by hearts, 02 April 2014 - 12:04 PM.

living life as happy and natural as I can! ♡ ☮ ❀ ॐ ☼

>>--> .. >>--> .. >>--> 

[clear]: fish oil, multi vitamins & minerals + extra d3, b-complex, l-cysteine, natural progesterone cream

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users