Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4 posts in this topic

So, there seems to be pretty strong anecdotal evidence regarding accutane's effects on long bone growth. I took accutane when I was about 13, and I'm about an inch shorter than my potential height. However, I've grown about three inches since so I don't believe I suffered from epiphyseal closure which stops long bone growth altogether. Do you think that most cases of stunted growth in accutane users are to accutane's effects on the IGF-1 axis rather than epiphyseal closure? The only publicly available study on the matter concludes that accutane "lowers IGF-1 levels significantly", and higher IGF-1 levels have been associated with increased bone growth.

Accutane is toxic. Im sure there is a very technical reason as to why it causes stunted growth but the simplest explaination is, its toxic to the body. Look what it does to a fetus...

Accutane does cause ephyiseal clousre in some! It can be determined by a xray. Also, your claim could in fact be very true for some also. Retnoids, Accutane has a profound effect on bones in many diffrent ways, some have a overgrowth and develop spurs etc..some have bone loss, spine changes and soo on.

The secret of health for both mind & body

is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, or not anticipate troubles, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.

The Buddha

hi everyone, i started accutane 2 days ago. I didn't know about the possiblity of growth arrest. So i stopped using it. I only took 4 pills. I am wondering if that could do anything to my growth. Sorry for bad english. English is my second language. Thanks for answers